• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm bad at Souls games and I'm tired of it

NinjaBoiX

I forgot one of the most important ones that took me a while to properly embrace:

- Once you’re comfortable rolling through enemy attacks with i-frames (you’re temporarily invincible for a couple of frames after rolling), try rolling TOWARDS enemies rather than away or to the side. It seems counter intuitive at first, but more often than not you’ll be more successful because of how the hit boxes work, and you’ll close the gap to counter into the bargain.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My advice, most of the Soulsborne games are about patience and paying attention rather than pure skill. Sure there is definitely a level of skill required, but most of it is just like a big puzzle.
I definitely agree with this, unlike fighting games or even Monster Hunter series, Soul games dont have much learning curves, the "difficulty" mostly comes from the fact they punish your mistakes harshly compare to most games.

Reactions: K2D
all you need is a bit of strategy and its not even that hard. its only hard if you expect to go in and spam the attack button. you literally just get in a few hits and back off. with bosses, focus on learning their attacks and how to evade and avoid damage. once you have it locked down you will have no problem beating them. this is half the fun with souls games. you learn how to play it.

Last edited:
1. you pretty much have to use the wikis
2. always play co-op when possible. get summoned to other people's worlds to learn the area and grind for souls. Then in your world summon people to help and let them take the risks.
3. Focus on maximizing your damage output with either spells or heavy weapons.
4. If you still have trouble with a boss, look up cheese strategies.

I'm terrible at souls games but I managed to beat all of them except for Sekiro by minmaxing and leaning on co-op. And I even got to the final boss of Sekiro... the only boss that can't be cheese'd :'(

Eurgh if your going to summon me to beat a boss for you I'll purposely die so you learn to make an effort and learn the damn boss.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

The fundamental game design problem that keeps me from having fun with souls games is not the difficulty, it is the map design. So many shortcuts and switches that open shortcuts across the map and hidden treasures. You *have* to follow a guide or you end up wasting tons of time until you happen to stumble upon this stuff. When you combo highly stressful combat that discourages exploration with the labyrenth of a map, that means every. single. time. I attempt to play a souls game I am sitting there with an iPad following a youtube guide before long. This is immediatley when I nope the fuck out of this because why the fuck am I just duplicating what some youtuber is doing? I cannot get past this. I have no problem grinding against a difficult boss, it is wasting time because I didn't find the shortcut that I cannot handle.

aclar00

For some reason my smooth brain cannot grasp Souls games. I really love the atmosphere, the awesome looking enemies, and the satisfying gameplay (when I can actually do it right) but that isn't enough to allow me to progress. I have played Dark Souls and Bloodborne, both kicking my ass within the first few hours. I don't expect to be good out of the gate, I know what these games are about. But man is there something I'm missing? Choosing the wrong class? Going too fast? Playing the wrong games? The menus and item descriptions don't help either, they all seem so vague. Maybe this is the appeal? With Elden Ring looking so fucking cool it's killing me to know I'm probably not equipped to play it.

So... I'm taking off my hat and asking for assistance here, guys and gals. Share your most helpful tips, tricks or advice with a total noob that wants to git gud.

Play online cooperative mode...there, problem solved ;-)

RPSleon

For some reason my smooth brain cannot grasp Souls games. I really love the atmosphere, the awesome looking enemies, and the satisfying gameplay (when I can actually do it right) but that isn't enough to allow me to progress. I have played Dark Souls and Bloodborne, both kicking my ass within the first few hours. I don't expect to be good out of the gate, I know what these games are about. But man is there something I'm missing? Choosing the wrong class? Going too fast? Playing the wrong games? The menus and item descriptions don't help either, they all seem so vague. Maybe this is the appeal? With Elden Ring looking so fucking cool it's killing me to know I'm probably not equipped to play it.

So... I'm taking off my hat and asking for assistance here, guys and gals. Share your most helpful tips, tricks or advice with a total noob that wants to git gud.
Be suspicious of everything. Be even more suspicious when you feel safe. Overconfidence can have you murdered by the weakest enemies.

Take your time. Dont rush. Disengage. Hit your enemy, but dont try to get 2 hits in before you disengage and reassess for your next hit.

Watch their behaviour in battle.
Die.
Learn.
Die.
Learn.
Die.
Learn.
Kill.
Kill.
Kill.
Get confident.
DIE
DIE
DIE
ALL YOUR SOULS ARE LOST.
CRY.
learn.
Die.
Learn.
Kill.
Kill.
Learn.
Kill.
Feel confident.
Look in the mirror and call yourself a useless peice of shit to rid yourself of that newly earned confidence. It will drag you down.

Kill.
Kill.

Go to bed.
Contune the game the next day.
Forget how shit you are.
Die.

Be suspicious of everything. Be even more suspicious when you feel safe. Overconfidence can have you murdered by the weakest enemies.

Take your time. Dont rush. Disengage. Hit your enemy, but dont try to get 2 hits in before you disengage and reassess for your next hit.

Die.
Learn.
Die.
Learn.
Die.
Learn.
Kill.
Kill.
Kill.
Get confident.
DIE
DIE
DIE
ALL YOUR SOULS ARE LOST.
CRY.
learn.
Die.
Learn.
Kill.
Kill.
Learn.
Kill.
Feel confident.
Look in the mirror and call yourself a useless peice of shit to rid yourself of that newly earned confidence. It will drag you down.

Kill.
Kill.

Go to bed.
Forget how shit you are.
Die.
That perfectly sums it up.

V4skunk

Banned

To me it sounds like you don't understand combat or levelling up.
Your attacks have animations, you cannot button mash on these games, every attack you make should be calculated! 1 press = 1 attack.
If you look at your equip etc...You can see what stats the equip scales with! A letter from A-E will be next to the stat.
This means a weapon with A scale on strength should be used on a strength build. All the same letter for strength and dexterity means this weapon is best for equal str/dex build etc.
If you look at shields look for this very important stat. Physical block resist!
Use a shield with 100% block resist! This means you take zero damage from physical attacks!
You should be walking everywhere with your shield up ready to take a hit.
My advice for level up is smash in all into health and stamina early game with the obvious points in dex or str depending on what weapons you are going for.

Now that you know how to use a shield its time for Bloodborne!
This can be tricky at first.
First we need to learn about health regain.
This means a second or so after being smacked we can be super aggressive in attacking and gain our health back!
Note the health bar when you take damage and you can see the regain bar.
My only advice is to be hyper aggressive, dodging into attacks and in time knowing when to take the hit to use the regain.
Block is also replaced with a gun that can parry monsters by shooting them at the time they are about to hit you.
Parry isn't important in Bloodborne like it is Sekiro.
Bloodborne is the goat.

Last edited:
As expected, there are a bunch of responses saying “something something, it’s really not that hard, something something.”

The games are hard, that’s an intrinsic part of the appeal. They literally have “prepare to die” as the tagline. Even when you learn how to play properly, they’re still difficult. That said, most of the advice in here is sound:

- Stamina management is definitely key, attack only as much as your stamina bar will allow; which is to say, leave at least a third of your available bar left to roll or block if needed. You should only be using your entire bar to attack if you’re confident against your foe

- Upgrading equipment is probably more important than upgrading stats to a certain extent, especially once you’ve found a weapon with a move set you feel comfortable with

- As an extension of the previous point, decide wether you want to be able to attack often and quickly, or sparingly and heavy. Focus on DEX stats and weapons for the former, STR stats and weapons for the latter. I personally recommend DEX for a newbie, as it’s more flexible and allows for some fluffed hits and less that ideal timing

- When you do upgrade your stats, focus on two or three key ones. Endurance is usually one of the most important in my experience, as it builds that all important stamina bar. Then either DEX or STR depending on your chosen play style. Health isn’t as important as you might think, better armour is usually the best answer if you’re dying too quickly, pumping too much XP into health is almost like admitting defeat

- Don’t underestimate the importance of double handing your weapon, you’ll hit harder and open up more moves, but you obviously need to be able to fight without a shield. You can also wield weapons you may not have the stat requirements for this way

- Learn how to leash and kite enemies (draw them from a crowd to fight them individually), getting ganged up on will almost always end in death

- If you’re still really struggling, experiment with magic/archery builds as they allow you to attack from a distance, and can help facilitate the previous point

- Finally, ASK FOR HELP! Much like your doing now, the community is usually very helpful, and you can actually summon others for actual in game help provided you aren’t hollow

Stick with it if you feel like you’ll enjoy it. They’re difficult games, but not insurmountable if you approach them in the right way. I often summon for help with bosses, and I’m entirely OK with that.

Enjoy them if you feel like you’ve got the patience to persevere!
The bolded is what I've read many times on topics regarding Souls games and makes the most sense for a beginner.

Interesting point regarding focusing on magic and archery builds. That would be very helpful for a beginner to kite and hit from distance or vice versa. Thing is is it easy to start off with a magic or archery build or is it something you have to work towards in the early game?

Die.
Learn.
Die.
Learn.
Die.
Learn.
Kill.
Kill.
Kill.
Get confident.
DIE
DIE
DIE
ALL YOUR SOULS ARE LOST.
CRY.
learn.
Die.
Learn.
Kill.
Kill.
Learn.
Kill.
Feel confident.

Kill.
Kill.

Go to bed.
Forget how shit you are.
Die.
😂Funny post but makes complete sense. Though I would wager that before dying you can at least attempt to stay alive as long as possible to learn the enemy patterns.

Play on PC with cheats/mods/trainers or whatever they are called to make the game easier.
'cheat activated'

OP to Souls bosses:
giphy.gif

Yp-E9q.gif

Last edited:

FrankWza

Go watch a few people play on YouTube. See which style you think you’ll feel comfortable with. Find out that style/build and build you character that way.

bender

What time is it?
I'm terrible at games and do fine in Souls games. Turn on easy mode (summon) for bosses if they give you too much trouble. Everything else is just patience.

YukiOnna

Going too fast is the biggest issue. You need to use the first couple of tries to study the attack pattern and use that to assess when to dodge or shield. They aren't entirely randomized either so you can keep a mental note of what the opener is, the phase transition, etc. That said, the cheesiest way, especially in DS1, is just to hug the enemy and attack them as much as possible since they are pretty slow. For Bloodborne, you have to treat it the same way and even for Sekiro. In DS and Bloodborne's case you can be rewarded through exploration with powerful items and weapons to make killing the boss quicker. In Sekiro's case, find that move that you can punish and assert your dominance.

Ultimately you can grind it out in these two games and overpower the enemy through that.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

What game are you playing and on what platform? If you are playing Dark Souls 1 I can give you advice on an easy build that will help you massively. If you're playing on the same platform as me and I can help you in coop or voice chat.

Last edited:
Just give up and play something else. Not worth the aggro.
People like you are why a lot of people who have a lot of potential get dragged into the gutter because of negativity and downplaying others. Horrific. Instead of being motivating you are litterly telling him he cannot do something and degrading him. You must really suck at life.

Damigos

Its ok to bad at one genre.
EG i am very good at racing games or soulsborne games but i suck big at 2D fighters (eg Street fighter).
Just keep trying until it is not fun anymore

Fredrik

I started using a guide for Demon’s Souls. You basically unlock easy mode by grinding and doing dumb stuff over and over so you level up and can take/do more damage. Every boss seems to have a cheat strategy too, I’ve taken down some bosses with just a few arrows.
Is it fun? Not really.
Is it doable? I don’t know, maybe, I’m progressing at least.

Banned
Trial and Error gameplay isn't for me either OP.

you don't know what Trial and Error means it seems... Trial and Error means that you can't know how to win without someone telling you or without dying to something first. like an unfair blind jump in a 2D platformer.

the Souls games are not trial and error whatsoever. if you are good you can beat the game without dying once... granted you would have to be ridiculously good to beat it in 1 go without knowing the game, but the games are at all times 100% fair and so there is a chance you could do it if you really tried

you don't know what Trial and Error means it seems... Trial and Error means that you can't know how to win without someone telling you or without dying to something first. like an unfair blind jump in a 2D platformer.

the Souls games are not trial and error whatsoever. if you are good you can beat the game without dying once... granted you would have to be ridiculously good to beat it in 1 go without knowing the game, but the games are at all times 100% fair and so there is a chance you could do it if you really tried
If you go in blind there is definitely some trial and error

How was I supposed to know one of the very first chests I run into would be a mimic that would insta kill me? After dying from it I learned mimics are a thing and then learned you could smack them before opening them to see if they are an enemy, but there is literally no way of knowing this in advance.

It sounds like you rely on guides, which is fine, but to say there is zero trial and error is utter bullshit.

Edit: mimic not mime lol my bad

Last edited:

His Dudeness

Neo Member

I adore these games, have beaten them all bar seikero, platinumed a few, and I would certainly not describe myself as “good at video games”.

Currently replaying DS3 as a magic caster and not having much trouble with it.

When I first played demon souls I didn’t love it, probably because I didn’t really understand how to play. I cheesed the final boss of that game just to pass it. Now days I don’t even use a shield for souls games.

My advice

1: level up if you’re in extreme trouble

2: use guides

3: rolling/dodging is key. I tried playing with a sword and shield build awhile back and was completely lost.

I do remember almost rage quitting blood borne at the first boss on the bridge. I couldn’t understand why I couldn’t beat him having platinumed DS2 scholar edition a few months before. Probably shows they are all a bit different.

But trust me. If I can get good at these games when im stoned and sluggish, anyone can.

Banned
If you go in blind there is definitely some trial and error

How was I supposed to know one of the very first chests I run into would be a mime that would insta kill me? After dying from it I learned mimes are a thing and then learned you could smack them before opening them to see if they are an enemy, but there is literally no way of knowing this in advance.

It sounds like you rely on guides, which is fine, but to say there is zero trial and error is utter bullshit.

I never used a guide in a Souls game ever. and true, the mimics can be seen as a trial and error thing, but usually if you play with an online connection there will be a warning there.

also, pro tip, you can tell if it's a mimic simply by looking at the chain attached to it

I never used a guide in a Souls game ever. and true, the mimics can be seen as a trial and error thing, but usually if you play with an online connection there will be a warning there.

also, pro tip, you can tell if it's a mimic simply by looking at the chain attached to it
I think the hint I clicked on said treasure ahead

Granted there were tons around me and I think I just clicked on a troll one. Which seem to be plenty, almost every lethal ledge has someone who left a hint telling you to jump or roll off

Didn’t know about the chain, smacking them works as they seem to drop great shit so are worth killing but I appreciate the tip

reforen

If you speak spanish PowerBazinga videos in youtube will help you, if not checkout BlueLizardJello walkthroughts both in youtube

Shubh_C63

I have patience for days, but learning enemies pattern is too difficult for me.
ER will be my first proper DS game (other than BB and Sekiro).

Good thing is, I can always farm and finish it in an year, unlike Sekiro.

Reivilo85k

Neo Member
I’ve beat Bloodborne and the Dark Souls trilogy you only need two tips to do the same.

1. Level your character up at every opportunity, doing so will skyrocket you above the enemies like how the old Elder Scrolls games used to work before Oblivion arrived and ruined everything.

2. Difficult boss? You can summon an AI to do most of the heavy lifting. Stand behind the boss while the boss attacks the AI. (Most bosses and enemies have a stand behind weakness even without an AI in play)
For the 3rd time since I bought it 5 years ago I tried to get into Bloodborne and bailed hard after 6 hours of trying to get to the first boss.

If there was a way to level up and get stronger I must have missed it because I saw nothing like that. All I saw is I could collect souls that I can use to buy potions and do lose every time I die.

I was very impressed by the atmosphere and the art design, the game was very appealing to me. However I am 40 years old with a kid and my play time is limited, 6 hours on a game that seems punishing by design feels like a waste of time.

The thing is also I have done that in the past, playing punishing games by design, this was basically the gold standard of games when I was a kid. Didn't even have savegames before Zelda arrived. But it was a time I had unlimited game time and new games only on Christmas and birthdays. Now I have a scary backlog and I do have to chose what to play with time management in head.

But I know I am missing on something and it itches me hard.

In the same way I bailed on Sekiro, but not as hard, I still managed to get quite far so it is less disappointing.

I have still a little hope Elden Ring won't be as punishing, because it looks really great. However I am not going to pay full price for an open world that is punishing you hard for trying and exploring so I am going to be extra careful before I buy this one, if ever.

bitbydeath

For the 3rd time since I bought it 5 years ago I tried to get into Bloodborne and bailed hard after 6 hours of trying to get to the first boss.

If there was a way to level up and get stronger I must have missed it because I saw nothing like that. All I saw is I could collect souls that I can use to buy potions and do lose every time I die.

I was very impressed by the atmosphere and the art design, the game was very appealing to me. However I am 40 years old with a kid and my play time is limited, 6 hours on a game that seems punishing by design feels like a waste of time.

The thing is also I have done that in the past, playing punishing games by design, this was basically the gold standard of games when I was a kid. Didn't even have savegames before Zelda arrived. But it was a time I had unlimited game time and new games only on Christmas and birthdays. Now I have a scary backlog and I do have to chose what to play with time management in head.

But I know I am missing on something and it itches me hard.

In the same way I bailed on Sekiro, but not as hard, I still managed to get quite far so it is less disappointing.

I have still a little hope Elden Ring won't be as punishing, because it looks really great. However I am not going to pay full price for an open world that is punishing you hard for trying and exploring so I am going to be extra careful before I buy this one, if ever.
For Bloodborne you have to encounter a boss called the Cleric Beast before you get to unlock level-ups. Easiest way to do that is not fight and just run past everyone. (A guide also helps so you know where to find him), after being killed by him you focus on levelling up until the general encounters become easy then go up against the bosses.

Last edited:

BWJinxing

The only way I enjoy DS, is frankly to cheat.

I don't mind a traditional, western RPGs like Grim Dawn, Last Epoch, D2R, as the grind can be fun and rewarding.

Dark Souls games, the patience isn't there. It's not a fun loop, as it feels like a bad grind.

Utherellus

Play on PC with cheats. It will satisfy your urge to play Souls, will let you enjoy game world, while Trainer helps you with progress.

At the end of the day, your game your rules.

Last edited:
I spend more than an one hour in the garden in the beginning of Bloodhorne (i never figure out how to leave it), anytime i try again to jump into this universe, and that that’s way more than in the rest of the game. I think i‘ve seen 5 minutes of it.

The funny thing is that i have no problem with Darksoul remaster. I should try the 60 fps patch. Does it make the game playable for someone like me?

Reivilo85k

Neo Member
For Bloodborne you have to encounter a boss called the Cleric Beast before you get to unlock level-ups. Easiest way to do that is not fight and just run past everyone. (A guide also helps so you know where to find him), after being killed by him you focus on levelling up until the general encounters become easy then go up against the bosses.
Can we agree this is a workaround players have found to resolve an issue stemmed from what is originally a bad design ?

I had the same problem with Nier Automata. I could not understand why someone thought it would be fun or add anything to the game to make you start from scratch if you do not manage to beat the first boss.

bitbydeath

Can we agree this is a workaround players have found to resolve an issue stemmed from what is originally a bad design ?

I had the same problem with Nier Automata. I could not understand why someone thought it would be fun or add anything to the game to make you start from scratch if you do not manage to beat the first boss.
I do agree, I had the same issues with Demons Souls when it first came out and having no idea what to do. Once you know it gets easier but.. yeah

Hoppa

You’re definitely not alone. I’ve spent 6 hours in total in the Demons Souls remake and haven’t even made it out of the starting area..haven’t seen the first boss or actually anything beyond the knight guarding the first bridge. Very embarrassing

SSfox

Souls games are not that hard tbh, it's more that they require more patience than most modern games. And which isn't a bad thing but quite opposite, it's one of the best aspect about those games.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Interesting point regarding focusing on magic and archery builds. That would be very helpful for a beginner to kite and hit from distance or vice versa. Thing is is it easy to start off with a magic or archery build or is it something you have to work towards in the early game?
Bows are much like melee weapons in terms of scaling and requirements, so you should be able to find a bow that works for you whichever melee build you go for.

But magic builds are a little different, you’d need to focus on intelligence and/or faith from the off to really make the most of them. There are some low requirement spells and miracles that don’t really on scaling that it’s worth donating a few levels to as a melee build however.

Last edited:

Eimran

I started last week with dark Souls 1 and while I understand OP it's not that hard as I thought. I still had much more trouble in games like Ninja raiden, Devil May cry in the hard difficulties

It's all about about being patiënt and getting to know your enemy's movement.
Don't treat it like a hack and Slash and preserve your stamina bar
Use the roll as effectivly as possible
Explore... A lot

If you don't enjoy it play another game. No shame in that.

People like you are why a lot of people who have a lot of potential get dragged into the gutter because of negativity and downplaying others. Horrific. Instead of being motivating you are litterly telling him he cannot do something and degrading him. You must really suck at life.

You are litterly a cunt. Cheers.

I usually play a caster and dodge to avoid damage. Get as close as you need to hit them, dodge if they get close, use a magic infused weapon if you can't get away.

Graciaus

There are three basic ways to play the game.

1. Use a shield and a one handed weapon. Keep the shield up and watch for an opening. The shield will protect you from most damage. Works best with all heavy armor.

2. Wear very light armor and 2 hand a weapon. No shield and use the i-frames from rolls to dodge all attacks.

3. Use magic.

Don't be greedy with attacking it isn't a character action game. For bosses you'll want to attack when it is safe even if it's only 1 hit. If you are truly struggling use magic until you get a feel for the game.

Top Bottom