• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I'm not a big fan of Xbox 1.5"-Phil Spencer

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaming_noob

So according to the PS4K thread and Boogz posts I assume it's real and according to Spencer's words it's going to be a more powerful update than expected. I guess they will announce a new "Gen" this E3. Would also explain the price drops for X1. It's 2013 again.

Who is Boogz and may I have a link to his post?

Oni Jazar

It seems pretty obvious when you read all the info / leaks together including Spencer's quotes.

SONY are planning and releasing an upgrade.

MS are planning next gen ... now.

Makes no sense. Both companies will offer the best hardware for the price at the time.

So if MS and/or Sony wants to sell a console for $400-$500 they will be targeting the same specs more or less.

Whether you call it an "upgrade" (4.5) or a "new system" (fusion) doesn't matter. Both companies will offer up a new system that will be forwards and backwards compatible, and neither will abandon what's out on the market today.

Nzyme32

Frankly one of the appeals of consoles is an affordable low price solution for gaming, with support given to it for many years. Assuming that is the same with the introduction of PS4K (or Xbox 1.5), I would think it is a preferable option than a more expensive system that is much more of a leap at this time. If that is what I want, PC ends up being far more cost effective and flexible solution (which is one of the reasons why I do it).

I hope when this new box comes out I can just get the box and not need new controllers, etc. That would be a great way to keep costs down.

He just said he can't comment on the Xbox Two because people would know who he is.

Hmm interesting. I don't know what he said exactly but this makes it sound like there could be something after all from MS? Meh, we'll see soon enough. If nothing at E3, MS is definitely going to wait and see themselves.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"Our servers are working"

Damn Sony getting absolutely #ROASTED

"The servers are doing well". Lol nice dig.

Lol right? In all serious. Fix yo servers Sony before trying to upgrade the client where the backend can barely support now

Umm, the comment had nothing to do with Sony. Some people have to always to find the 'warz' in a statement. It has to do with their own server issues they had for practically the first couple of months in 2016 on a weekly pattern.

smh

How so I've had more issues in the past few months with live than I have with psn.

Exactly. The comment was based on their own issues they resolved.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Honestly? If Nintendo is doing it and Sony is doing an (in my opinion unneeded) upgrade, then why wouldn't Microsoft want to capitalize on this? The competition is giving them the opportunity to hit the reset button in a big way. Sony is the last company who should want to do anything like this, so I am surprised at that. Microsoft is obviously developing the next gen, but the question is when they plan to release it and how. They should figure out a way to ease it in for Xbox One owners. Full system BC and integration with the other two generations (cross generational party chat as well as BC, for instance) would help in this regard. Keep the community together regardless of platform.

alpha69

As long as it's optional I don't care personally...
It just means to me that when my PS4 dies, I can get an upgraded version to replace it.
Just like how I deal with smartphone upgrades.

Also... Don't we always get a newer version of consoles in the middle of the generation anyway, the slim ones? Only this time it'll not only look better it'll also perform better.

I am not unsatisfied with the current PS4 and feel no need to upgrade when it's still working perfectly fine.

Besides, I don't care too much about super-high resolution and perfect 60FPS bull AAA publishers likes to talk about.As long as the game is not borderline unplayable with excessive framedrops and supper crappy graphics and performance, I'm all good.

rpg_fan

They're using the same chip providers, they're using the same component suppliers. For a new xbox to be built in the same time frame as a new ps, they'll largely use the same stuff. The only way for the nextbox to be substantially more powerful is to blow the price point. And isn't the goal to stop losing money at some point?

You can call it ps4.5, you can call it xbox onetu, or anything you like. They'll be remarkably similar unless one or the other blows up the price or the architecture.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Fair enough. I already own two Xbox One consoles, and I don't the feeling of having to replace them this early.

the1npc

It wasnt even that long ago I paid over $400 for my ps4. I dont get why people are stoked about a 1.5 system. Unless they have money to burn

Vinland

Banned
I'm curious if this catching Nintendo off guard.

The worst possible thing Nintendo could do is go ARM. So let's explore that for kicks and giggles.

AMD has a solid ARM division and can make a 2+ ghz 8 core A57 chip. It already talks DDR4 and they can theoretically have it talk gddr5 like the PS4 chip. They could even cram 2 A53 cores in there for a big.LITTLE setup while low power or Menu mode.

The R9 370 or variant makes the most sense to integrate with either memory type. If they went ddr4 they could add sram on the chip like they did for the Xbox one. As long as there are no Nintendo VR plans that chip class is fine for 1080p paired w 8gb. Ddr4 2400 with no sram may not be so bad for a price performance trade off. Gddr5 would be sweet and gives more gpu options.

The worst case scenario doesn't sound so bad for me especially since A57 has the same basic fundamentals as a desktop and server CPUs. The biggest hurdle would be compiler abstractions in the SDK to make it easier for developers to port games. And if the rumors say that isn't an issue whatever it does turn out to be and they turn out to be true then cost is the next biggest issue.

I think as long as Nintendo give that... Their product will be fine. And that is worst case scenario for a modern console. If they don't deliver atleast that then yes... The product makes little sense and another Wii U might be brewing. That is of course if all the incremental stuff turns out to be true.

And even then, this trajectory if that comes to pass is easily incremental in its own right.

Is there enough profit with Xbox for MS overall? Because if they wait this out, I can see it possibly going worse for Xbox. Especially with a scenario where people who own both PS4K and Xbox One and decide to buy the best version of a multiplatform games.

I know I will, but I am definitely an Xbox guy so if the Sony stuff is true, I hope Spencer is "lying" here.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I assume for the words of phil they are not launching a xbox 1,5 and prefers a next xbox hardware.So a next generation in terms of power in the next xbox.Okay, give me now that xbox.

Head.spawn

What the fuck, are we getting an upgrade console or not?

/confused

It could be the case that he wants to release earlier than the previous generation, which was 8 years, and instead of releasing new hardware with incompatibility, staying the OS over from scratch and all that clean slate stuff that makes early ownership a drag.. maybe the intention is to have hardware that has full compatibility from day one. Maybe have new hardware be a direct continuation the way cellphones and other tech do?

That's what I hope they do anyways and wishful thinking mostly never pays off.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Is there enough profit with Xbox for MS overall? Because if they wait this out, I can see it possibly going worse for Xbox. Especially with a scenario where people who own both PS4K and Xbox One and decide to buy the best version of a multiplatform games.

I know I will, but I am definitely an Xbox guy so if the Sony stuff is true, I hope Spencer is "lying" here.

Sony has the most to lose here. It's why the PS4K is so mind boggling. They have the most powerful hardware. They are essentially risking their fanbase to have even more powerful hardware so the definitive games will now be on another, separate $400 PS4 model? This leaves Microsoft open in justifying a new generation sooner rather than later. Sony is literally handing the ball over to Microsoft for a redo if Spencer and Microsoft so chooses. Meanwhile, Sony will be in some weird mid-generational box with the PS4K where they won't be able to release even newer hardware (PS5) for a while.

That's my favorite thing about a new console from Xbox.

Yeah, I can see this reboot of the Xbox One as being something really great and really special. Spencer has done a lot to reverse the poor launch of the XB1, but he can only do so much with the box he was given to work with.

Give him a fresh start with a beefed up system, no Kinect to add to the cost, and a consistent OS from this gen which makes all games, and apps compatible, not emulated, on day one, and he could do something great.

I have no idea if it is enough to turn the tide for them, even just in NA, but I'm excited to see the new console. I've enjoyed the ride so far on the XB1, but the idea of jumping to the next gen sooner, with a console that has had the time to learn from all of the mistakes and solutions the team had with the XB1, has me plenty excited.

The danger, of course, is that is close to what Sega was trying to do with the Dreamcast. And while that was a fantastic system, jumping to he next gen so soon is exactly what put them out of business. I think the continual move to digital content, as well as Microsoft's cozy relationship with EA can help them avoid the same demise, but it's not going to a smooth jump.

It essentially makes the XB1 a really expensive beta for most of us.

This is a pretty slick way of creating FUD about your competitors (rumored) product while leaving yourself room to put our a similar product in the future. There's a reason this guy gets paid so much, he's very good at his job.

I agree with Phil completely. Half measures are stupid. Just watch a bit longer and then blow us all away with a significant upgrade.

UraMallas

I really do hope Microsoft doesn't completely abandon Kinect for the next gen. I will pay a premium to have it as an add-on. I absolutely love mine. Same with the HDMI pass-through. Please keep these things, Microsoft. Those are the reasons why One has become my defacto system this gen. The TV features make it just too easy to play my games on One and use it as my all-in-one media device. Phil can do his own thing with the new system, but please don't abandon the much-maligned "TVTVTV" completely.

jond76

Banned
I really do hope Microsoft doesn't completely abandon Kinect for the next gen. I will pay a premium to have it as an add-on. I absolutely love mine. Same with the HDMI pass-through. Please keep these things, Microsoft. Those are the reasons why One has become my defacto system this gen. The TV features make it just too easy to play my games on One and use it as my all-in-one media device. Phil can do his own thing with the new system, but please don't abandon the much-maligned "TVTVTV" completely.

You and me both. Changed the way we watch tv in the living room.

It wasnt even that long ago I paid over $400 for my ps4. I dont get why people are stoked about a 1.5 system. Unless they have money to burn

I'll trade in a PS4 for around $200 and then it is a $200 - $300 charge to get better looking/performing games. I would do that in a heartbeat.

Bgamer90

Banned

I think they will drop Kinect and just release an official Xbox camera for streaming/skyping and an official microphone bar that you can lay down on a table or on top of a TV for Cortana control.

UraMallas

I think they will drop Kinect and just release an official Xbox camera for streaming/skyping and an official microphone bar that you can lay down on a table or on top of a TV for Cortana control.

That would be fine. I don't need anything fancy for Kinect. I don't play games with it and if they can save money and I can save money whilst keeping the features, I'm for it. HDMI pass-through is the one I really want the most and I'm nervous about that one.

hesido

..I want to move forward in big numbers..

Phil, you da real mvp.

This is how I want consoles to be. Beat PS5 handily in the performance department and I'll rethink of jumping the console ship.

Sony has the most to lose here. It's why the PS4K is so mind boggling. They have the most powerful hardware. They are essentially risking their fanbase to have even more powerful hardware so the definitive games will now be on another, separate $400 PS4 model? This leaves Microsoft open in justifying a new generation sooner rather than later. Sony is literally handing the ball over to Microsoft for a redo if Spencer and Microsoft so chooses. Meanwhile, Sony will be in some weird mid-generational box with the PS4K where they won't be able to release even newer hardware (PS5) for a while.

Damn, I had not even thought of it like that. But yeah you're right, if this isn't just some PR talk from Phil it could turn out really positive for MS, but I honestly hope it will be sooner than later and not two years from now or so. Plenty of people might not be fond of this news right now about PS4K , but a GPU twice as good as PS4 and a better CPU is bound to bring some big differences and plenty of gamers will probably end up buying it because they want the system where the games look and play the best. I have already decided not to buy a PS4 and wait what Sony announces, so chances are I will end up with that PS4K. And others will too.

And that can't be good for MS, so hopefully they won't wait too long with that next generation box. As Phil said, their box is doing fine now and sure, it's doing quite alright but that won't last forever with big changes coming in the game industry. Let Sony release that PS4K and then late next year or so bring that next generation Xbox already. That would be quite good.

That is..... if any of the reports are true and since nothing is official, I will keep treating it like a rumor and speculation and nothing more.

Makes no sense. Both companies will offer the best hardware for the price at the time.

So if MS and/or Sony wants to sell a console for $400-$500 they will be targeting the same specs more or less.

Whether you call it an "upgrade" (4.5) or a "new system" (fusion) doesn't matter. Both companies will offer up a new system that will be forwards and backwards compatible, and neither will abandon what's out on the market today.
Yup. And I think it's in Microsofts interest to brand this as a new box, new gen - whether or not this and the PS4k are similar spec wise.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Damn, I had not even thought of it like that. But yeah you're right, if this isn't just some PR talk from Phil it could turn out really positive for MS, but I honestly hope it will be sooner than later and not two years from now or so. Plenty of people might not be fond of this news right now about PS4K , but a GPU twice as good as PS4 and a better CPU is bound to bring some big differences and plenty of gamers will probably end up buying it because they want the system where the games look and play the best. I have already decided not to buy a PS4 and wait what Sony announces, so chances are I will end up with that PS4K. And others will too.

And that can't be good for MS, so hopefully they won't wait too long with that next generation box. As Phil said, their box is doing fine now and sure, it's doing quite alright but that won't last forever with big changes coming in the game industry. Let Sony release that PS4K and then late next year or so bring that next generation Xbox already. That would be quite good.

That is..... if any of the reports are true and since nothing is official, I will keep treating it like a rumor and speculation and nothing more.
Makes some sense that Phil has been saying some contradicting statements and not making definitive/clear ones, it could be game theory where Microsoft are are trying to hide their bluffs to get Sony to anticipate the wrong outcomes. Like when he said initially incremental and now he's saying big numbers, but big numbers while keeping intra-generational? If they do make Sony believe that Microsoft are preparing just an incremental upgrade, this maybe causes them to go anead with the PS4K and then Microsoft releases a generational leap upgrade intstead. Maybe they won't even release it this year but the next, and then if PS4K releases Sony are stuck in this weird cycle as mentioned above.
Probably reading too much into it but game theory is serious shit in business, though it's less used to trick competitors but more useful for anticipating moves of competitors.

Wheatly

Minority here, but I'm totally fine with this (especially if it means an upgrade with trade in will be around ~$200). I can't imagine keeping with these consoles for another 3 or more years.

Neither of them can run 1080p 60 fps (or even 1080p in Xbone's case) which is pretty sad. Ultimately I think the PS4 and Xbone came out a few years early.

Makes some sense that Phil has been saying some contradicting statements and not making definitive/clear ones, it could be game theory where Microsoft are are trying to hide their bluffs to get Sony to anticipate the wrong outcomes. Like when he said initially incremental and now he's saying big numbers, but big numbers while keeping intra-generational? If they do make Sony believe that Microsoft are preparing just an incremental upgrade, this maybe causes them to go anead with the PS4K and then Microsoft releases a generational leap upgrade intstead. Maybe they won't even release it this year but the next, and then if PS4K releases Sony are stuck in this weird cycle as mentioned above.
Probably reading too much into it but game theory is serious shit in business, though it's less used to trick competitors but more useful for anticipating moves of competitors.

Yeah it sure is serious Shit indeed. I've always wondered how that works. For example when Sony announced the PS4 and MS Xbox One. In terms of power both are not worlds apart, so did they know beforehand what their competitor was going to do? Same with the look of the two consoles, in terms of how the top of the consoles look that is. Pure coincidence or did they know?

In the end this is Sony we're talking about and they handled the PS4 really well, just look at the insane amount of sales. I don't believe for a second they will do some really stupid shit and alienate their fanbase. On the other hand, it more or less happened to MS too with Xbox One and they were in such a good position with 360. And you gotta wonder why Sony feels the need for this, it can't only be VR. Could be heat from Nintendo perhaps? Lol, now that would be something.

This E3 should prove to be really interesting and man.... I am counting the days.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yeah it sure is serious Shit indeed. I've always wondered how that works. For example when Sony announced the PS4 and MS Xbox One. In terms of power both are not worlds apart, so did they know beforehand what their competitor was going to do? Same with the look of the two consoles, in terms of how the top of the consoles look that is. Pure coincidence or did they know?

In the end this is Sony we're talking about and they handled the PS4 really well, just look at the insane amount of sales. I don't believe for a second they will do some really stupid shit and alienate their fanbase. On the other hand, it more or less happened to MS too with Xbox One and they were in such a good position with 360. This E3 should prove to be really interesting and man.... I am counting the days.
For the technology they just estimated, it was probably very simple in this case due to price and tech available, but yea it's all math and statistics, and logic. The top of the consoles design was probably a pure coincidence, it is very insignificant regardless.
I can PM you the game theory textbook I used in what is probably one of the most fascinating subjects I took. You can take a look at the chapters covering how firms anticipate competitor's moves to adjust output, using the Nash equilibrium and Cournot and Stackleberg models, which lay out the foundation of logic used in a duopoly competition.

For the technology they just estimated, it was probably very simple in this case due to price and tech available, but yea it's all math and statistics, and logic. The top of the consoles design was probably a pure coincidence, it is very insignificant regardless.
I can PM you the game theory textbook I used in what is probably one of the most fascinating subjects I took. You can take a look at the chapters covering how firms anticipate competitor's moves to adjust output, using the Nash equilibrium and Cournot and Stackleberg models, which lay out the foundation of logic used in a duopoly competition.

Yeah for sure man. Definitely sounds interesting :)

I also try to make sense out of Spencer's statements, saying "yeah,cool" to incremental, and 4 weeks after "incremental stinks".
Provoking a move from Sony while not following would be an explanation. Every other scenario is either illogical, plain stupid or bad management. (for example Spencer getting a serious spanking from Nadella for getting new, expensive and manpower-consuming ideas for a division that is not in MS's priorities any more)

On the other hand when Sony really has a Ps4.5 planned while there is no Xbox1.5, this move could spoil/dampen some surprise and excitement. Fine. But in the end, having nothing to counter seems dangerous.
Funnily enough, all PS4.5-statements so far were unofficial. So it will be interesting to see if there will even be any point-five-console be announced this E3 or if it's just some collective hallucination.

CariusD

Here is my thoughts on this, we have nobody talking about it except for Phil so I even it is announced this year then it wouldn't come out this year. In comparison the ps4.5 has about a forest fire worth of smoke, and I am sure the writer from Kotaku would have heard at least one comparison to write about. The NX is well known about, and the ps4/xbox one were known about for along time.

Finally if it does come out this year, or even early next year I don't think it would be more powerful than the ps4.5, that thing is suppose to have a 970 gtx equivalent inside of it. Doesn't sound cheap at all, not to mention the heat constraints consoles have.

Zedox

I think that Xbox One Pro will be something for HDR TVs instead of 4K as it seems MS is more invested in HDR than resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom