• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I'm not a big fan of Xbox 1.5"-Phil Spencer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

You are right, industry want stable environment and make save bet.
Holding industry back it not appropriate statement, let me adjust. This new way is holding invention or tech breakthrough back.

The opposite could be true actually (in theory at least) as bringing out new hardware more frequently would mean it gets new technology onto the market faster. It also allows the console manufacturers to maintain a higher margins per unit on the newer higher priced consoles which should mean more money for R&D.

Or on the flip side they could just become like Apple where after they have enough people locked in they stop being innovative and simply iterate for the sake of higher profit margins...

If it does happen it will be interesting to see how it unfolds at the very least.

wapplew

The opposite could be true actually (in theory at least) as bringing out new hardware more frequently would mean it gets new technology onto the market faster. It also allows the console manufacturers to maintain a higher margins per unit on the newer higher priced consoles which should mean more money for R&D.

Or on the flip side they could just become like Apple where after they have enough people locked in they stop being innovative and simply iterate for the sake of higher profit margins...

If it does happen it will be interesting to see how it unfolds at the very least.

Evolutionary cycle, all tech advancement only happen linearly.
Quicker, faster like mobile or pc, same tech outline over a decade, can't change because the legacy holding it back.

Tradition console however, is the only tech left that not on evolutionary cycle.
It allow new invention introduce at generation switch, it's risky. Many new invention fall flat and fail, but this is what I like about it.
That's why I don't want console become quick iteration product, because I have plenty of evolutionary product already.

In a perfect world, new tech invented, everyone jump on it, we all move forward, but we not live at that world, that's why we compromise.

Edit: I understand it will kill console all together if they don't take the save route. But 5 years iteration or 2 hardware per gen (no forward compatible when new gen start) could be a way to keep both advantages.

Tntnico

I really hope we will get a new Xbox One Pro / Elite / + whatever, this year or early next year. Set the price of current Xbox at $300 and release a new powerful Xbox at $500. Please Phil.

Just hope that his statement means that he wants the "Xbox 1.5" to be "Xbox x2". Can't wait for E3 !

Tradition console however, is the only tech left that not on evolutionary cycle.
It allow new invention introduce at generation switch, it's risky. Many new invention fall flat and fail, but this is what I like about it.
That's why I don't want console become quick iteration product, because I have plenty of evolutionary product already.

Well, your right ... until last gen. Xbox 360 saw a new invention during the middle of its gen, it was Kinect, and Wii Motion Plus for the Wii, and PS Move for PS3. This gen, we see Playstation VR coming to PS4 and we don't have to wait for PS5 for this paradigm shift. So I think a Playstation 4+ that helps this new "invention" right now is a good idea.

ekim

I really hope we will get a new Xbox One Pro / Elite / + whatever, this year or early next year. .

I really wonder how they would name that. Keeping the "Xbox One" name as a basis basically is just an incremental update and not a major upgrade as touted by Phil.
Xbox Two sounds lame. Xbox Fusion or Just Xbox Pro or Xbox Elite all sound like the 90s.

Yoday

Well at first he shrinked the ESRAM portion of the Xbox One APU after the console released. The second paragraph describes work on a non-specified processor which is getting produced in 14nm finfet. If this is somehow related to the Xbox part, we can assume there will be a new Xbox with a 14nm APU. Could also be just a slim model or something completely different.
Yeah, pretty clear that the 14nm chip is a new design considering he had no issues specifying what the 20nm design was used for. Using 20nm in current XBO systems and a possible slim makes sense, as 14nm is going to be in heavy demand and it probably wouldn't be practical for MS to mass producing two separate 14nm products at the same time. Just my speculation though.

Xbox threesixty is still one of my (sarcastic) favourites...

They might go old skool and just call it literally Xbox...maybe attaching a (2017) moniker to it when they launch Xbox 2020.

Chris1

I really wonder how they would name that. Keeping the "Xbox One" name as a basis basically is just an incremental update and not a major upgrade as touted by Phil.
Xbox Two sounds lame. Xbox Fusion or Just Xbox Pro or Xbox Elite all sound like the 90s.

Xbox Infinity is the best.

Still mad they didn't go with that this gen :(

JaggedSac

untitledu0zry.png

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sriramravichandran

Don't know if the second paragraph is somehow related to the first one but interesting nonetheless. He was also involved in the original Xbox One APU design.

Interesting find. Wonder if the teams keep working on the same client hardware?

Evolutionary cycle, all tech advancement only happen linearly.
Quicker, faster like mobile or pc, same tech outline over a decade, can't change because the legacy holding it back.

In a perfect world, new tech invented, everyone jump on it, we all move forward, but we not live at that world, that's why we compromise.

Edit: I understand it will kill console all together if they don't take the save route. But 5 years iteration or 2 hardware per gen (no forward compatible when new gen start) could be a way to keep both advantages.
Comparing ps4 and xbone to ps3 and 360 I really don't see how they evolved more than iPhone now compare to the first.

Iphone at least on top of improving everything came up with biometric ,sensors force touch, Siri.

Annd, the same kind of evolution in consoles (both them and now) happened mid gen and could benefit a lot from an incremental hardware update. A more gradual evolution could also helped those innovations to stick instead of bein killed when the generation jump occurred.

Yoday

I think "Infinity" is to long. Xbox Loop... but that doesn't make much sense. Maybe they are going back to the normal numbers again :"Xbox 4" ?
Numbers make more sense if they don't want to confuse customers. This is going to be a major shift in how the console market operates, and their naming scheme needs to be as clear and simple as their message. It sounds like this shift has been in the works for quite some time, and it's possible Xbox One was their way of resetting the console naming line. Xbox already exists as an item, and "Xbox 1" would have been absurd. The Xbox Infinity name makes a lot of sense now too, but Infinity with a number behind it for the next console would sound pretty dumb.

If this is really the path they are going down then they need numbered systems in order to make it simple for customers to know what software works with which systems once there are enough systems for games to phase out support of the older models. Listing "compatible with Xbox 2 and newer" on a retail package is a lot easier than having to list each individual system a game is or isn't compatible with. I could see a system like Apple uses that has a half step like Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox 2, Xbox 2S, but Phil's comments make it sound like they want to avoid that.

Sure, but for how long? Xbox 360 came out just 4 years after the Xbox.
Xbox 2 could come out end of 2018 (or even 2017 but I doubt that) or something and then it would be the strongest thing out there.

But that's also a danger - if they push the next Xbox out before PS4 runs its cycle, then Sony drops a superpowerful PS5; Xbox is toast.

Zedox

I've been saying it for over a month (or I think exactly a month) for a Xbox One Pro, dual GPU, 4K capable, better processor, backwards compatible, coming with the Elite controller. Make it so.

Bgamer90

Banned
I honestly really can't think of a good name for an Xbox successor.

I think Microsoft may just drop the names altogether. I could see Xbox consoles in the future simply being called "The (year of release) Xbox" with the retail box simply stating "Xbox" and a different color or style on that box to show/state that it's new in comparison to the older Xbox consoles.

Heck, I always felt that this (pictured below) could be considered a clue/hint that it will happen. The Xbox One only has "Xbox" on the console instead of "Xbox One":

Edit: And hey, the name "Xbox One" works in the sense that it's the first Xbox that will follow this Windows crossplay, (and possibly) backwards compatible, new console every 3-4 years model.

ekim

I honestly really can't think of a good name for an Xbox successor.

I think Microsoft may just drop the names altogether. I could see Xbox consoles in the future simply being called "The (year of release) Xbox" with the retail box simply stating "Xbox" and a different color or style on that box to show/state that it's new in comparison to the older Xbox consoles.

Heck, I always felt that this (picture below) could be considered a clue/hint that it will happen. The Xbox One only has "Xbox" on the console instead of "Xbox One":

Going the Apple route? Why not.

Zedox

If anything I'm interested in the design of the next Xbox...I think we'll still get a redesigned Xbox One this year, and see what Panos Panay has to say with the design. E3 may not show the new hardware...it may be when MS decides to showcase their new hardware ala Surfacebook, band, lumia

gamz

If anything I'm interested in the design of the next Xbox...I think we'll still get a redesigned Xbox One this year, and see what Panos Panay has to say with the design. E3 may not show the new hardware...it may be when MS decides to showcase their new hardware ala Surfacebook, band, lumia

Yep. I really can't wait to see what they came up with.

But I don't think they'll wait next Spring to show it. E3 is strictly for Xbox and they have to show something.

I'd just call it simply Xbox Pro.

Yoday

Going the Apple route? Why not.
Because they still have to have retail games for the time being, and that kind of naming makes the compatibility messaging a nightmare once games don't support older systems. They need something that is simple and very clear.

Zunnyhh

Neo Member
I dont know why people are expecting MS to come out with a new XB1 edition, especially if its going to have alot more power than the current XB1. As it would be a huge slap in the face to current & loyal owners, the disparity between the boxes would be so big that developers would have to develop for PS4K, PS4, XB1 & XB 1.5

I dount that will happend, what I think is more likely is that they would make this generation shorter than the last.

Chris1

Xbox next? I hope that isn't what it's going to be called lmao, that's something Nintendo would do.

and yeah I'm excited to see how the slim looks.. with the surface team on it it has potential to be something amazing. The current one is an abomination, if I can upgrade to the slim at a small-ish fee after all is said is done I'm doing it, and this is someone who still rocks the ancient old white xbox 360 and never had any intentions of upgrading.

Bgamer90

Banned
Because they still have to have retail games for the time being, and that kind of naming makes the compatibility messaging a nightmare once games don't support older systems. They need something that is simple and very clear.

I can't see there being so many models so frequently to the point in which this would be a huge problem. Just have the game box state what Xbox (year) models the game supports if necessary.

But heck -- games like Madden, NBA 2K, and FIFA could probably work on three Xbox models. These games still have new versions being made for 360/PS3. This makes me think of the possibility of retail discs having various versions of a game on the disc with the Xbox system installing the appropriate version (depending on how old the Xbox model is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom