• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I'm not a big fan of Xbox 1.5"-Phil Spencer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like he's willing to wait to see what the PS4K will look like before committing to any kind of new hardware. I don't blame him at all for not wanting to be overshadowed again.

Once again, Spencer has been enormously clear on this point:

Originally Posted by Phil Spencer

What I'm saying is that hardware innovations happen, we want to be able to embrace those in the console space and make those available and maybe not have to wait seven or eight years for that to happen.
Ultimately, the great questions of our time will not be resolved by modular upgrades or incremental upgrades -- that was the great mistake of the Dreamcast and the Steam Machine -- but by iron and blood.

wait wat

Sydle

Okay, then they'll probably move on to the next system late next year when they can make something that is powerful enough for Vive/OR support in a small form factor for under $500.

VanWinkle

Sounds good to me. Though I do fear that much more powerful competition will drive them to release the next gen console earlier.

Sulik2

I don't understand what Sony and Microsoft are doing. The drop to a new processing node for video cards and the move to HBM2 is coming at the perfect time to make a new full powered PS5 and Xbox 2 in fall 2018. Just wait 30 months and do this right and return to a proper five year cycle. All these incremental upgrades and semantic arguments about what to call it make no sense. Just jump to the new gen on schedule.

LordOfChaos

What he said sounds good to me. Full console generations, not this iterative stuff that's rumoured.

I hope Sony was only readying the PS4.5 in case Xbox did a One.5, and now neither will do it. I just want the juice squeezed out of my console before it's retired, man.

FoneBone

Some of you do not know how to parse PR... he's taking an obvious dig at the PS4K rumors, but all he's implying is that any upgrade to the Xbox would be more substantial than that. Not that they're not pursuing an incremental strategy altogether.

Taken with his other quotes, it sounds more like he doesn't want there to be a misconception that the incremental upgrade is small. I'm sure Microsoft wants to eventually get Hololens or whatever VR/AR solution they end up with out into the field sooner rather than later so that they can have some momentum.

explodet

I was hoping it'd be called the Xbox One 2, so we could call it the Xbox Twelve.
In any case, I'm going to miss calling it the Xbone.

wapplew

Sony "PS4.5, 3.5 TF in 2016"
MS "cancel Xbox 1.5 Xbox 2, 4.0 TF in 2017"
Sony "cancel PS4.5 raise you a PS 5, 5TF in 2018!"
MS "cancel Xbox 2, straight jump to Xbox 2.5, 6 TF in 2019"

10 years later, we still game on PS4 and Xbox one.

JaggedSac

Why are people taking what he said as an indication of timeframe? All he is saying is that his planned hardware will be large enough to be more than a .5 version number increase.

KeRaSh

Sounds like they don't want to take half steps and straight up release the Xbox Two "mid-gen". Basically like the PS4K but with a "next-gen name". Not sure where they want to go with their naming convention after Xbox One anyways...

Rymuth

Phil is really needs to get his message straight, I have absolutely no idea what he actually intends anymore.
Reminds me of when he was plugging the word '1080p' when they were trying to convince people their console was on par with PS4.

Then he turned around later and he says 1080p isn't perfect and they don't care about it.

His stance flip-flops in accordance to what Sony's doing at any given moment.

wapplew

I don't understand what Sony and Microsoft are doing. The drop to a new processing node for video cards and the move to HBM2 is coming at the perfect time to make a new full powered PS5 and Xbox 2 in fall 2018. Just wait 30 months and do this right and return to a proper five year cycle. All these incremental upgrades and semantic arguments about what to call it make no sense. Just jump to the new gen on schedule.

Can't agree more.

Xbox 180? Turn the console around, make it successful this time. Kinda already used the name with the botched reveal of Xbone though.

Would actually be pretty interesting if they came out with a cheaper model while Sony is going the other way.

Sony will have two system it easy for them to drop the price on the old if they see MS making head way .
As for what Phil saying he is playing the waiting game to see what happens .

Just to be clear, this is a joke right? I ask because his comments about servers being stable made me chuckle not to mention he was chatting "upgrades" to the media at the Xbox Event last month

Xbox will probably announce Xbox 10 at E3 claiming that both their games and apps run in 4k and touting full backwards compatibility to existing Xbox One games and white-listed Xbox 360 games. Saying silly things like all old games run exactly the same, but better (somehow).

I wonder if Xbox gonna make the same mistake of pricing their new Xbox at a higher price, but having lower specs, or will the situation now be reversed...

RdN

He has some nerve to say that the servers are doing well.. Xbox Live has been having outages at least once a week for several hours for what feels like months now.

etta

my hard graphic balls
One other thing to take from this - he wants to make more Xbox generations.
Maybe this will stop people claiming Microsoft is dropping Xbox?
Nah, what am I thinking, of course people will keep bashing that in.

Phil Spencer said:
What I'm saying is that hardware innovations happen, we want to be able to embrace those in the console space and make those available and maybe not have to wait seven or eight years for that to happen. Ultimately, the great questions of our time will not be resolved by modular upgrades or incremental upgrades -- that was the great mistake of the Dreamcast and the Steam Machine -- but by iron and blood.
Once again, Spencer has been enormously clear on this point:
advanced-dungeons-dragons-iron-blood-warriors-of-ravenloft-usa.jpg

What is he talking about?

As long as you have a Live sub, who cares what device you're playing on. The money's in services, not hardware (tho peripherals are $$$$$$)

Elios83

This guy simply says one thing and does the other.
He was the first one talking about incremental updates and getting away from the traditional console business model, now he's not a fan of the concept and Xbox One works well?
I don't know how much credit people can put into his words until they announce things.
He sounds like they're planning to go fully ahead with an other gen of games which won't be compatible with Xbox One at all but at the same time he's trying to make people confident in the relevance of the current Xbox One saying he's happy with it and it works so well LOL.
That's kinda ridiculous because the two concepts are opposite.

jelly

It would seem weird to go underpowered this generation then miss the boat of new advancements by going too soon. I guess they would argue they'll be right back again a few years later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom