• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm really, really fucking sick of #gamergate. TAKE A STAND, DAMNIT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

Okay. I'm sick of this shit. It's gone on long enough.

There have been occasional articles on major sites about this, but it's time to end this bullshit. Women who speak out shouldn't be in fear for their lives. This has gone far, far beyond what anyone could have originally imagined, and it's gone in a horribly, horribly wrong direction.

So on that note, major gaming sites, please alienate these asshats. Please unite and step forward to SUPPORT diversity, and SUPPORT women. It's so obvious that this has evolved into such a hateful thing, and yet nobody is really stepping out to stop this shit. STEP THE FUCK UP. THIS IS DISGUSTING.

There have been occasional articles on major sites about this, but it's time to end this bullshit. Women who speak out shouldn't be in fear for their lives. This has gone far, far beyond what anyone could have originally imagined, and it's gone in a horribly, horribly wrong direction.

So on that note, major gaming sites, please alienate these asshats. Please unite and step forward to SUPPORT diversity, and SUPPORT women. It's so obvious that this has evolved into such a hateful thing, and yet nobody is really stepping out to stop this shit. STEP THE FUCK UP. THIS IS DISGUSTING.

I agree fully. Someone threatened to kill Anita Sarkeesian if she spoke at Utah State University and smear her blood on the walls. Full on detail. This thing has gone totally psycho. Any "message" that might've existed before is completely irrelevant now.

Vylash

another really pathetic thing is that no big game sites outside of Kotaku (and Giant Bomb that one time) are even talking about this

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If somebody's in support of sending death threats to women in the industry, I seriously doubt a bunch of journos writing articles about it is going to change their mind.

Steel

Banned
Trying to stop an internet hate war is like trying to stop fusion from occurring in the sun. It's dumb, but it's the internet.

Edit:

If somebody's in support of sending death threats to women in the industry, I seriously doubt a bunch of journos writing articles about it is going to change their mind.

Most of gamergate is upset at a completely separate issue and aren't really supporting death threats, but if people want to lump them altogether, well that's how things keep escalating. It's all stupid.

Dartastic

I just thought it was a stupid hashtag on the Twitter.
At first it was a stupid hashtag on the Twitter, and it's basically evolved into hate speech towards women. Women are literally getting death threats due to their involvement in the industry. Fuck. That. I WANT more women involved in gaming, and I WANT more diversity.
I was unaware it had escalated to this.
I think a lot of people are unaware.

Bovandy

Neo Member
I just thought it was a stupid hashtag on the Twitter.

Then you should do some investigating, because #gamergate has turned into a bunch of nutjobs trying to live out their masturbatory fantasies by terrifying women gamers, games writers and game developers.

So on that note, major gaming sites, please alienate these asshats.
They pretty much already have. It would be a struggle to find a single major gaming site that has not alienated them.

Please unite and step forward to SUPPORT diversity, and SUPPORT women.
It would be the devs who need to step up (and they are). Gaming journalists are a tiny speck in the game industry and frankly, their aggressive focus on "issues" is part of why this thing exploded so much in the first place.

It's so obvious that this has evolved into such a hateful thing, and yet nobody is really stepping out to stop this shit. STEP THE FUCK UP. THIS IS DISGUSTING.
Generalizations like the above are why it has gone on for so long in the first place and why it got so big in the first place. You aren't going to "fight the good fight" by directly confronting it with arguments and vitriol.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's like all the useless trolls who usually make racist YouTube comments somehow got organized and made a dent in the universe.

This is about women in games and game journalism. It's about games.

Games.

GAMES.

Apt101

I've tried to avoid the whole debate because I don't want to paint with a broad brush. But from a cursory review of what pro-Gamegate people have said on-line, it looks like a sad misogynistic movement to me. Reddit is the worst.

They pretty much already have. It would be a struggle to find a single major gaming site that has not alienated them.

It would be the devs who need to step up (and they are). Gaming journalists are a tiny speck in the game industry and frankly, their aggressive focus on "issues" is part of why this thing exploded so much in the first place.

Generalizations like the above are why it has gone on for so long in the first place and why it got so big in the first place. You aren't going to "fight the good fight" by directly confronting it with arguments and vitriol.

Anita was being harrassed and so was Zoe before this ever hit the news. In Anita's case it was 2 years ago when it began.

What is there to step up to really? These people (#GG people) are on the losing side of the "war" anyway. Giving them attention be it negative or positive is justifying their position. Also it is a waste of resources that wouldn't solve the problem anyway.

It's getting bad. And all it's doing is making everyone who plays and likes and cares about video games look bad. It doesn't matter if you don't support it, we all look bad.

I mean at the end of the day, it's only fucking video games.

Steel

Banned
It's like all the useless trolls who usually make racist YouTube comments somehow got organized and made a dent in the universe.

I love how people pretend that this is somehow unique to gaming. Reporters, actors, directors, atheletes, all of them get death threats regularly.

Do I have this correct?

Trolls are making criminal threats toward women in the gaming/non-gaming industry/media/bloggers for being feminists OR for supposedly "sleeping their way" to get ahead in the industry?

Yes and no. There are people who are making said threats, but pretending that gamergate is only those trolls is silly. This whole issue is a clusterfuck.

Do I have this correct?

Trolls are making criminal threats toward women in the gaming/non-gaming industry/media/bloggers for being feminists OR for supposedly "sleeping their way" to get ahead in the industry?

Trying to stop an internet hate war is like trying to stop fusion from occurring in the sun. It's dumb, but it's the internet.

Edit:

Most of gamergate is upset at a completely separate issue and aren't really supporting death threats, but if people want to lump them altogether, well that's how things keep escalating. It's all stupid.
Your hand-wavy attitude and misdirection is gross. You are part of the problem.

tnaden

GamerGate has some legit complaints about the industry.

Any point the hashtag might have had is now lost in all the surrounding bullshit that has gone down.

Can it just please stop already...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Isn't it the point of the discussion in that other big Gamergate topic?

Yeah and this thread will probably get locked (merged at best) because of it.

But I'll tell you I haven't even taken a step into that thread because the whole thing seems kind of stupid. This thread at least allows me to, for one brief moment, scream what the fuck is going on?? This is dumb!

I completely missed this "gamergate" thing. I was too busy playing videogames and having fun to notice it.

Looks like I didn't miss much.

As someone who hasn't looked at a single gamer's gate thread on gaf since the first one was posted... I'm just not seeing the issue. If gamer's gate is bothering you, stop giving it all your attention and it'll go away just like every 'controversy' eventually does.

Bovandy

Neo Member
As someone who hasn't looked at a single gamer's gate thread on gaf since the first one was posted... I'm just not seeing the issue. If gamer's gate is bothering you, stop giving it all your attention and it'll go away just like every 'controversy' eventually does.

Considering you're not one of the people who has actually received death threats, you just underlined the term "easy for you to say"

JayEH

It's gotten out of hand. It had good intentions but of course people took it too far. Some people need to find better things to do with their time.

DNAbro

Yeah and this thread will probably get locked (merged at best) because of it.

But I'll tell you I haven't even taken a step into that thread because the whole thing seems kind of stupid. This thread at least allows me to, for one brief moment, scream what the fuck is going on?? This is dumb!

that's honestly what the big thread is for. It's for keeping tabs of the stupid shit that is going on.

It hasn't though. It's just causing more harassment against women in the industry, if people don't speak out against it and shame those who support it, it will not stop.

Since the very beginning, Gamergate has been a collection of disingenuous motives used to veil terror campaigns against minority views.

Harassment and hatred will be its legacy.

a primer

a54f4c8c4a.png

Wouldn't be easier to just let it die?

Those guys want notoriety, even negative, so better ignore them and let them get bored of it.

Anita was being harrassed and so was Zoe before this ever hit the news. In Anita's case it was 2 years ago when it began.
I'm not sure I understand this point. Game journalists and major websites already ARE "taking a stand". What I'm saying is that devs and publishers needs to take a stand if anything is going to happen.

zmihaie

Banned

since when #gamergate stands against women and equality?!
please explain

Dartastic

This has evolved in such a way to which I feel people need to make large, sweeping statements condeming the actions of these asshats, and nobody really has done that yet, to my knowledge. You're seeing individual articles here and there, but you're not seeing publications as a whole stand up and saying "fuck this shit, get the fuck out of here."
You're hand-wavy attitude and misdirection is gross. You are part of the problem.
Correct.
Wrong. This has been going on for months now, and people are quite literally fearing for their lives. You don't see the issue because you haven't been paying attention. It's time to end this bullshit.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=889097

How did you not see the fucking massive thread about this which has been on the front page of GAF every day for over a month now?
I saw it. I feel it's evolved past a mega thread. I'm sick of this.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Then you should do some investigating, because #gamergate has turned into a bunch of nutjobs trying to live out their masturbatory fantasies by terrifying women gamers, games writers and game developers.

Is it even about video games anymore? Some of the bullshit now seems to be who can up the ante the most from the safety of their computer. If they want it to stop, they need to find one of these loser and prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law.

Yes and no. There are people who are making said threats, but pretending that gamergate is only those trolls is silly. This whole issue is a clusterfuck.

Oh I'm not saying it's only those trolls. I guess I was asking what brought all of this to a head.

Yes, it does indeed sound like a clusterfuck.

Orayn

It's gotten out of hand. It had good intentions but of course people took it too far. Some people need to find better things to do with their time.

It started with bad intentions, had some good-sounding but empty mission statements added, then kept on doing the same bad things.

So on that note, major gaming sites, please alienate these asshats.

I'm not, repeat, not defending Gamersgate. (Please don't make me repeat that in bold and italics and highlight because someone only reads what they want to read.) But one of the chief complaints I've read from a number of those huddling under that banner is that they already feel like the gaming media has started painting huge swaths of them as bad people, that gamers in general are being used as an easy target by journalists in what they feel are click-bait pieces painting a hobby as gross, misogynistic, etc, regardless of the actions or beliefs of the individuals. Of course, many of them went out and proved they are actually bad people, misogynistic, etc, especially when mob mentality kicks in. But one of the common complaints that I've seen is that they felt attacked and alienated to begin with.

So alienating them MORE is just throwing barrels of gasoline on the fire. Something has to be done, but encouraging more hate and division to support inclusiveness is kind of counter-intuitive. All it would do is give Gamersgate people more material to point at and say, "See? SEE?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom