• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm really, really fucking sick of #gamergate. TAKE A STAND, DAMNIT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gamers gate isn't about women, feminism or misogyny. It's about corruption of journalists and the lack of any journalistic integrity in the gaming industry. Don't get caught up in the social justice noise when the real issue is corruption and nepotism. I urge you all to do research outside of this surface drama and come to your own conclusions. Do not react to this obvious bait for attention.

hey you

define nepotism for me

Gamers gate isn't about women, feminism or misogyny. It's about corruption of journalists and the lack of any journalistic integrity in the gaming industry. Don't get caught up in the social justice noise when the real issue is corruption and nepotism. I urge you all to do research outside of this surface drama and come to your own conclusions. Do not react to this obvious bait for attention.

Oh please. Are you kidding me? Half of what you mentioned is debunked (nepotism, lol) ... Check the twitter posts of #gamergate. I don't see how people are still sticking their head in the sand on this.

Tegernako

Banned
F4OJrKF.jpg

I thought it had died out honestly. They even banned discussions on 4chan iirc
That's fucking hilarious considering 4chan essentially started it.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...pushed-gamergate-into-the-national-spotlight/

For example, nobody, can find me ONE article about Zoe Quinn that's anything like they said it was. For example, find ONE Kotaku article about Zoe Quinn by that one guy beyond this one:

http://tmi.kotaku.com/the-indie-game-reality-tv-show-that-went-to-hell-1555599284

He never wrote about her again but from the sounds of what people would make you believe he wrote all sorts of nice things about her. Nobody can find any article that did anything that they accuse her off. In the mean time people are finding photos of her while she's 13 or saying they want to skull fuck her after they rape and murder her.

This is what I think about the whole situation:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/08/videogames-are-for-everybody/

Kevyt

I agree fully. Someone threatened to kill Anita Sarkeesian if she spoke at Utah State University and smear her blood on the walls. Full on detail. This thing has gone totally psycho. Any "message" that might've existed before is completely irrelevant now.

I haven't been following the GamerGate threat and have no idea who they are or what their intentions are so I can't speak about them, or have an opinion about them. But I do know of Anita Sarkeesian and the backlash that she's received. All the death threats and hateful comments towards women and her in particular need to stop. It makes me very mad that the word feminist and feminism is associated with so much anger and hatred among some gamers. The fact that there's so much hostility to anything that challenges the Male dominance status-quo. As a male, I fully agree with Anita Sarkeesian. I am glad that she is speaking out about controversial issues, and that for many, she has to play the villainous role. I love Anita Sarkeesian, and I think her decision to cancel events due to death threats is the best decision. Who knows what those lunatics are capable of. I wonder what's going on through their head... they must not be mentally healthy. I think Ms. Sarkeesian has hit the hornet's nest, and now the angry bees are out to sting... too bad those individuals are not really bees or hornets. they cannot intellectually disagree with her and challenge her arguments through logic and instead appeal to violence and death threats, like savages. Which makes my whole "hornets and bees" analogy irrelevant. But truly those individuals who threaten her are the lowest of the low.

drotahorror

I have not been following the gamersgate stuff, but could someone please explain to me what it is if people support gamersgate and people who don't?

Thanks in advance.

23qwerty

Isn't it fascinating how a subsection of people start a movement triggered by a woman having sex with some guy, when people have been complaining about games journalism forever?

sasliquid

At the beginning of all this I considered myself centralist but that's changed recently. I know plenty of reasonable people who support gamergate but the irony is they claim to be #notyourshield to journalists but have just become a shielding to sexists/transphobes etc. games journalism needs to improve but not by building such a toxic community.

Also they've given a platform to that milo fellow. He once wrote an article equating being transgender to a mental health problem, he seems to be a product of the extreme wealth system and as a singular individual makes me hate my own species sometimes.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
It hasn't died and it will not die anytime soon, especially after this:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...isit-following-threat-of-campus-shooting.html
Harrasers will see it as a victory of their methods.

Depressing. The toxic intentions of the movement's foundations had been outed long ago, and they could not successfully divorce those intentions, so why is there still fuel in this movement? Do they really hate the prospect of another viewpoint towards rational game and character design? I mean, it's not like there is this huge threat of forced censorship on this medium or anything. Is this just some largely crafted slippery - slope that people convinced themselves would bring about an "end of gaming?" I just can't really comprehend why this ordeal is still persisting after all this dialogue.

danm999

This is why I normally stay out of gamer's gate threads... If you show any sort of disinterest or even so much as not showing your 100% game face, you're somehow pinned as either unfeeling towards the plight of people threatened (I do care and I'm totally against physical or mental abuse of anyone, male or female) or you could pidgeonholed as one of the people.

I'll excuse myself from this thread now.

Nah, I don't think it's that.

I think it's that several people have been doxxed, sent threats of rape and murder, of being threatened with terrorism, of nasty, awful shit nobody ever should go through, and your sage advice was;

As someone who hasn't looked at a single gamer's gate thread on gaf since the first one was posted... I'm just not seeing the issue. If gamer's gate is bothering you, stop giving it all your attention and it'll go away just like every 'controversy' eventually does.

Basically, given the severity of the problem, this is very bad advice you're dispensing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom