• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'I'm the victim,' says teacher who had sex with high school student

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Mary Beth Haglin was charged in July with sexual exploitation by a teacher. On Monday, she appeared on Dr. Phil, accusing the student of seducing her and sharing sexy photos with his friends.

“Many people see him as the victim and me as the perpetrator. From a psychological standpoint and from every other standpoint, I feel like I am the victim,” Haglin said on the Dr. Phil show, citing the student's intelligence and “elevated vocabulary” as part of the seduction.

On the show, Haglin claimed that the student repeatedly asked her to meet for lunch or coffee. She met the boy when she was a student teacher at Washington High School in Cedar Rapids. At the time, she was 23 and the student was 17.

She started chatting with the boy on Facebook and through text in September 2015, and the relationship became physical in October 2015, she said. On the show, she said she was vulnerable and confided in the student.

“One night after a particularly bad night with my boyfriend, we had gotten into a big fight, and the next day I looked at his message and thought, ‘I’m just going to respond.’”

“You have got to be dumber than a box of rocks to share naked pictures with a 17-year-old boy,” Dr. Phil McGraw said about halfway through the show.

Haglin was fired from her teaching position and now works as a stripper using the name “Bambi.”

Source:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/10/20/iowa-teacher-sex-student-dr-phil/92447690/

• Has sex with underage student multiple times.
  • Only charged with sexual exploitation (not rape).
  • Pleads not guilty, blaming the victim for her actions.
  • Claims she can't get a fair trial locally due to pre-trial publicity, goes on daytime TV to publicize her case.

my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg

Caelus

intelligence and “elevated vocabulary
“You have got to be dumber than a box of rocks to share naked pictures with a 17-year-old boy,” Dr. Phil McGraw said about halfway through the show.
Haglin was fired from her teaching position and now works as a stripper using the name “Bambi.”

What can even be said at this point.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm not even sure what to comment on in this story there are so many parts that had me staring at my screen.

hamboner

Neo Member
So technically speaking a 18 year old girl/guy having sex with a 17 year and 364 days old girl/guy would be charged with rape?

In many states there are stipulations that allow for someone within 1-2 years of the age of the minor to not be charged.

But in some states, yes that situation could result in a charge if brought to court.

kswiston

Given the fact that the boy was 17, and the teacher was only 6 years older than him, I can buy them being in a similar stage of mental development if he was mature for his age and she wasn't. 17 year old girls dating 23 year old guys isnt thst uncommon (or it wasn't when I was in high school and college). The reverse shouldn't be treated differently.

But in this case, none of that matters. She was a teacher. She abused her position of authority and the trust of the school community. If she was too immature to handle that trust, don't become a teacher.

kswiston

In many states there are stipulations that allow for someone within 1-2 years of the age of the minor to not be charged.

But in some states, yes that situation could result in a charge if brought to court.

If this is Cedar Rapids Iowa, the age of consent is 16. Her being a teacher is the issue here. Age of consent doesn't matter when you are teaching. In some places, the age of minority doesn't apply either. Teachers are in a position of power, and therefore cannot enter relationships with their students (or groom them for future relationships).

Prison guards can't have sex with their inmates either, regardless of consent, and everyone they oversee is an adult.

jorma

is now taking requests
But he wasn't underage since the age of consent is 16 in Iowa.

She didn't do anything monstrous. Having her sacked seems enough.

Obviously she should have known better but I think sometimes we forget that people who are 23 are still quite young and can be dumb as shit, so these things really aren't that surprising.

Now, when the teacher is like late 20's or 30's or even 40's, that's surprising.

Fuchsdh

She may be as dumb as a rock, but she was right about something, he was manipulating her.

Yep, the former is pretty clearly evidenced by the latter.

I don't get women who willingly send nudes at this point. Maybe you're sending them to the one guy who asks for them and isn't trying to show them off to all his friends or post them somewhere or blackmail you or whatever, but it's still asking for them to get out somehow, by accident, by phone hacking, by misplacing the files. It's idiotic.

I don't particularly think the kid here was a "victim" in the moral sense, but the law protects the minors for a reason, because it's far more likely that the adult in a power position can influence or coerce the minor than the other way around.

And yeah "Bambi" takes the cake. Seems like what she was cut out to do from the get-go.

Yeah, the problem is that she's a teacher at his school, if that wasn't the case there wouldn't be a story here.

He's not a victim.

sikkinixx

She's an idiot, and frankly too young to be a high school teacher. Student is shitty but he shouldn't have to be the adult in that situation.

Also man... don't add fucking students to Facebook or get their phone numbers no matter how much they pry. I get asked all the time for my PSN, XBL tag, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram etc etc by students and it's easy to deflect and say "nah, maybe once you graduate come back and talk to me about it" (to which a few actually have years later)

NandoGip

BAMBI LOL

Really though, smashing your teacher is the ultimate win for a high schooler. These teachers (male and female) that have sex with them are really damn stupid. Flushing your whole career down the toilet.

17 and 24 is pretty normal imho.
Of course its not okay that she is his teacher, so fire her and let them do whatever they want then. No harm no foul.

Savitar

She made a dumb stupid mistake and definitely paid the cost for it, but it was her mistake and she has no one to blame but herself.

That said the guy if did make threats was definitely a grade A asshole which honestly, isn't surprising with a lot of teens.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
The age difference isn't the issue, it's that she was in a position of authority and it's never ok to abuse that in a sexual way.

Given the fact that the boy was 17, and the teacher was only 6 years older than him, I can buy them being in a similar stage of mental development if he was mature for his age and she wasn't. 17 year old girls dating 23 year old guys isnt thst uncommon (or it wasn't when I was in high school and college). The reverse shouldn't be treated differently.

But in this case, none of that matters. She was a teacher. She abused her position of authority and the trust of the school community. If she was too immature to handle that trust, don't become a teacher.

Agreed entirely. The outrage isn't the age gap. It's the teacher/student aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom