• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'I'm the victim,' says teacher who had sex with high school student

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluvian

Banned
What? So it's perfectly fine for teachers to hook up with students in Britain?

No for gods sake, your not stupid (you might be...most likely are) you know what I said. I said 17 year olds and 23 year olds being together isn't really a problem in Britain.

I was focusing on the age element and not so much the teacher part.

God some people think their so bloody clever.

No for gods sake, your not stupid (you might be...most likely are) you know what I said. I said 17 year olds and 23 year olds being together isn't really a problem in Britain.

It's the teacher part that's important.

I don't know if I agree with the idea that a 17 year-old is literally incapable of preying on a 23 year-old, but I don't see enough information here to substantiate that angle.

Threatening to "burn down her life" if she breaks up with him is incredibly fucked up, though. I hope the incident results in him getting counseling.

Calm down, buddy. Your first sentence was addressing the age disparity, but the rest of your post was cheering on the student-teacher aspect.

Speaking as somebody who was once in high school, and wanted to have sex with some teachers I had, I cannot, with a decade of hindsight, objectively state that I feel I would have been in some way wronged had I had the chance to do so. Obviously, a teacher who does so should not be able to be a teacher anymore, but given I believe there should be a national age of consent of 16, with a 2-year grace period for adolescent romance, criminalizing the act seems too far, to me. And, no, I don't feel differently when the gender roles are reversed, either.

Lothar

Banned
This is what it looks like with the genders reversed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG1QM8Dx38A Only unlike the Iowa teacher who is miserable and her life is ruined, this guy married the student and looks to be having the time of his life. He was in his 40s. She was 17. That makes this 17-23 gap look mild. Doesn't really seem fair that he gets to laugh and she has to go on Dr Phil and be called dumb.

I'm assuming he was correcting her with the avocado thing when she called him a peach.

For the record 31 states have an age of consent set at 16, eight at 17 and only 12 at 18. Even if this 17 year old was 18 at the time she would have still broken the law given the position she was in.

Stop being pedantic. The law is clearly going to let it slide if there's a week or so before the minor becomes of age, but the victim was clearly underage here, and the teacher significantly older. Is that okay on your eyes? Would you be saying the same thing if the gender roles were reversed?
The age is not. The. Issue. If she wasn't a teacher there would be no issues when it comes to the law. As for the daughter thing I'm pretty sure a lot of fathers are hostile to who their daughter is with at that age.

But calling this 17 year old a victim is ridiculous. She didn't force herself upon him nor did she actually use her power of authority to force him into this.

Is it statutory rape if two underage people (say both are 16) have sex? What if they've been together for 3 years, then one of them turns 18 first. Is it still statutory rape until the other turns 18 despite history?
In some states with no close in age clause/exception, yes it's entirely possible a say 16 year old could be charged for being with a 15 year old but unless there's some major pushing for it to happen it likely won't. Most states have an AoC set at 16.

No. You're forgetting age of consent.

It's different state to state, but in a lot of places, it's 16 and 17. A couple of states have it at 15 still, I believe.
No state is 15, just exceptions for being close in age.

Correct. If they are older than 18 having sex with a minor, it's still consider statutory in most US states. Some states let it slide if they are 16 and have parent permission, most states do not.
Incorrect. That is not how the age of consent works. If the AoC is 16 and your 16 year old hooks up with an 18 year old, a 30 year old, or hell a 70 year old there is no law broken and no charges that could be filed unless they're in a position of authority.

Kirye

Jesus some of the posts in this thread. You're absolutely right, the 6 year difference is really not a big deal. The guy is almost 18 and he obviously consented, if not started it.

That's not the issue here though. The issue is that she was his teacher. She was in a place of power, and ended up sleeping with a student. I empathize with her, she was distressed and this guy who is interested in her was there and she made a mistake. I get it, but it doesn't excuse what she did.

She's not a victim.

This is what you said:
17 year old to 23 year old would be perfectly legal and fine here in England. God bless that kid he lived the life most of us dreamed of in school.

Poor woman did the nicest thing she could have possibly done and got convicted for it.

It's pretty unreasonable for you to come back and start slinging insults at people when your previous post very strongly communicates the teacher/student angle.

Teenage boys might think it's "the dream" to hook up with a teacher, but any adult in his or her right mind should immediately understand the ethical issues with such a relationship. Especially when that adult is the teacher who puts her career and livelihood in jeopardy by engaging in this kind of behavior.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Why would she be charged with rape? Does consent not matter at all in the US if it's 18+ having sex with under 18?

Edit: Avocado?
Statutory rape, or rape by law. It doesn't matter if you have consent from a child, having sex with them is rape because they legally can't give their consent.

4 pages in and I still don't get what avacado means.
Peach is an idiom for a person of sweet nature, she said you're a peach and he supplanted peach with avocado. It's probably an inside joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom