• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm traveling to the UK in Sept. and never been out of US before. Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm getting my passport tomorrow and I've yet to buy the tickets but I'm planning on going to the UK in Sept as a sort of present to myself. As of right now I'm going alone. Any tips, like cheap accommodations, places to check out, travel options, internal cell usage etc etc?

First time out of the country and super nervous.

EDIT: I'm a 22 year old college student so budget is super tight. Figured y'all might need some context.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Stay in a youth hostel, super cheap, bunk with fellow young people, and get hideously drunk with them.

Try not to waste money on cabs and such.

Stay in a youth hostel, super cheap, bunk with fellow young people, and get hideously drunk with them.

Try not to waste money on cabs and such.

Are there ways to find hostels online? or do I need to search around for them when I get there? Are they in the big cities like London or can I find them everywhere?

If I don't get a cab what form of transportation do you recommend?

ChawlieTheFair

Are there ways to find hostels online? or do I need to search around for them when I get there? Are they in the big cities like London or can I find them everywhere?

If I don't get a cab what form of transportation do you recommend?

In UK specifically trains seem a good option. Try to find a bike rental. You can use cabs, but just try to minimize, especially because you're a tourist they might try to fuck with you and take a longer route to charge extra. Tons of hostels online, they are often listed on sites like expedia. BaseX hostels is one that comes to mind that I stayed in. They are totally legitimate, and can range in quality like any accommodation, but essentially you will be in bunk bed accommodation with anywhere from 3-8 people maybe more. If that sounds scary don't worry about it, most of them will also be foreigners just fucking around and seeing the sights like you. I feel like a going rate for a hostel is around $20 a night depending?

EDIT: The YHA is another big hostel company.

In UK specifically trains seem a good option. Try to find a bike rental. You can use cabs, but just try to minimize, especially because you're a tourist they might try to fuck with you and take a longer route to charge extra. Tons of hostels online, they are often listed on sites like expedia. BaseX hostels is one that comes to mind that I stayed in. They are totally legitimate, and can range in quality like any accommodation, but essentially you will be in bunk bed accommodation with anywhere from 3-8 people maybe more. If that sounds scary don't worry about it, most of them will also be foreigners just fucking around and seeing the sights like you. I feel like a going rate for a hostel is around $20 a night depending?

Cool, thanks.

So it's pretty safe? I plan on carrying so fairly expensive camera equipment and maybe a laptop with me so I don't want to get robbed in my sleep.

A.edrerai

Banned
London is super expensive, stay away. visit Ireland. All my friends have positive things to say about Dublin. Airbnb is your friend, keep all time 20-50 euros cash if you may need some taxi. Public transport is better payed for a extended period of time minimum one week, you may need to check your destination city for availability and pricing of tickets.

ChawlieTheFair

Cool, thanks.

So it's pretty safe? I plan on carrying so fairly expensive camera equipment and maybe a laptop with me so I don't want to get robbed in my sleep.

They usually offer locks/locker for a bit extra. So yeah definitely lock that stuff up, but again most people staying there will be kids on a gap year looking for friends. I'm guessing if you did decide to stay in one it will be chock full of Australian students just getting plastered.

Edit: and while it's bunk bed setups, they are really kinda like nice college dorm rooms. Again depends on which, but a lot will have laundries, kitchens, a help desk. Sometimes daily tourguides to major sights where you can kinda just start going and then fuck off halfway through. A lot of kids will stay in these for months at a time while they work jobs for extra cash.

London is super expensive, stay away. visit Ireland. All my friends have positive things to say about Dublin. Airbnb is your friend, keep all time 20-50 euros cash if you may need some taxi. Public transport is better payed for a extended period of time minimum one week, you may need to check your destination city for availability and pricing of tickets.

What about Scotland? I got a buddy over there who I might be able to see. Maybe I could take a train between the two?

Speaking of money, how exactly do I get my funds converted? Will I be able to use my normal debit card? Sorry if these questions are stupid haha

And thanks Chawlie. I'll take all that in consideration. Seems to be a great way to meet new people!

Only thing is that I don't drink and would be kinda afraid to offend anyone lol

BokehKing

Banned
I wouldn't mind going to the UK for a week, I know a girl from there, she visited NY a few years back, such a happy positive person, wouldn't mind letting her be my photography tour guide.

panty

Super tight budget and you're going to London? Ehh, sure you can find your way there but it's not a cheap city. Maybe reconsider?

Why not Spain? It's helluva lot cheaper, weather is a lot better and people are more prettier.

ChawlieTheFair

What about Scotland? I got a buddy over there who I might be able to see. Maybe I could take a train between the two?

Speaking of money, how exactly do I get my funds converted? Will I be able to use my normal debit card? Sorry if these questions are stupid haha

And thanks Chawlie. I'll take all that in consideration. Seems to be a great way to meet new people!

No worries, as for the debit card, I wanna say you can talk to your bank and let them know you plan to use your card in the UK, and I think that'll do it? I'm not sure though.

You can use your normal debit card. I thought I was gonna be fucked a couple times when I went a few weeks ago but they work fine. Mostly relied on cash I was able to get whenever I was lucky enough to find an atm or Apple Pay on my phone. Also make sure to never, ever, ever use your phone's data. I didn't get an international data plan and 300 mb's ended up costing me about 700 dollars. Well it would have but the AT&T guy got me on a plan and it retroactively ate up the costs.

Llyranor

You don't REALLY need data. Plenty of wifi spots. Just be prepared, and get the necessary travel apps (subway maps, download the offline areas in google maps, etc).

Absolutely look up hostels online. Make sure they're well-reviewed, and set the criteria to your liking (location, price, wifi, noise, cleanliness, access to a safe, etc). Plenty of accommodation sites to choose from.

Also, check out Edinburgh while in Scotland. It is a beautiful city.

So I'm getting my passport tomorrow and I've yet to buy the tickets but I'm planning on going to the UK in Sept as a sort of present to myself. As of right now I'm going alone. Any tips, like cheap accommodations, places to check out, travel options, internal cell usage etc etc?

First time out of the country and super nervous.

EDIT: I'm a 22 year old college student so budget is super tight. Figured y'all might need some context.
Hotels are yiur friend. Use em. Hostelbookers to find hostel then call them personally voa google instead of that website. Sometimes it's 5-20% cheaper.

Talk to people in hostels. I usually hang out with people who are not from that country when i visit. Hostels is a big reason. Geberally everyone there is nice and happy to be around.

If i was you, I'd order the hostels before going. Dont get people who spend vaca time look at pointless things

Weather is shit. Im canadian and I think their weather's shite. Keep that mind.

Old school architecture is a straight up dreamlike for me, esp London. Go to st Peter's (I believe?) church inside, and go inside windsor castle.

Use transportation instead of cabs. Problem is a lot of brits seem like angry douches every time you ask a basic question,

Call your bank and tell them the dates you'll be at in eng. Helps when you get a room and you just give then your name and poss conf #. Though from what I've experienced, only Germans seem to gove you a hassle.

Dl viber and whatsapp. That's what people use in the reat of the world. You can use cooldown time to talk to family or people you meet when you're at your hostel.

Tadaima

You don't REALLY need data. Plenty of wifi spots. Just be prepared, and get the necessary travel apps (subway maps, download the offline areas in google maps, etc).

I was in London without data earlier this year. It was hell trying to find a wi-fi hotspot.

I highly, highly recommend having data.

Super tight budget and you're going to London? Ehh, sure you can find your way there but it's not a cheap city. Maybe reconsider?

Why not Spain? It's helluva lot cheaper, weather is a lot better and people are more prettier.
I agree with this. Though I'd say every european coubtry has better looking people.

jiggle

You can buy sim card off eBay for 30 bucks that gives you 12gb of data there

I did not encounter very many free Wi-Fi either

Don't use airport currency exchange
Your local bank may do it(I know wells Fargo does)

A.edrerai

Banned

I don't have any experience about Scotland but having a friend there is a big bonus definitely try it.
As for they money you can covert some cash at the airport but I don't recommend it because the interest rates are not the best. You could try some bank at your location on USA before you travel to covert money or banks at your location of vocation . You would definitely be able to use your debit card just not everywhere. Some extra charges may apply but you need to consult your bank workers for concrete information on the matter.

As for the drinking, you should and you must not in any circumstances bring your self in situation which are not comfortable for you. Remember your safety is priority number one so many kilometers away from home not what someone who may never see you again think about you . Anyway You can always drink some fanta or cola even orange/cherry juice if you don't like alcohol people don't really mind what you drink as long as you drink with them.

Hotels are yiur friend. Use em. Hostelbookers to find hostel then call them personally voa google instead of that website. Sometimes it's 5-20% cheaper.

Talk to people in hostels. I usually hang out with people who are not from that country when i visit. Hostels is a big reason. Geberally everyone there is nice and happy to be around.

If i was you, I'd order the hostels before going. Dont get people who spend vaca time look at pointless things

Weather is shit. Im canadian and I think their weather's shite. Keep that mind.

Old school architecture is a straight up dreamlike for me, esp London. Go to st Peter's (I believe?) church inside, and go inside windsor castle.

Use transportation instead of cabs. Problem is a lot of brits seem like angry douches every time you ask a basic question,

Call your bank and tell them the dates you'll be at in eng. Helps when you get a room and you just give then your name and poss conf #. Though from what I've experienced, only Germans seem to gove you a hassle.

Dl viber and whatsapp. That's what people use in the reat of the world. You can use cooldown time to talk to family or people you meet when you're at your hostel.

Poss. conf #?

And sweet. I've used whatsapp before so I'll probably use that to keep in contact with family.

pfr

I was in London without data earlier this year. It was hell trying to find a wi-fi hotspot.

I highly, highly recommend having data.

This is the truth. Finding wifi is usually a hassle and even when you do it is The Cloud or some other registration based thing, which ends up not even working after you've gone through the authentication. You can't do much with travel apps like Citymapper (for London) if you're relying on wifi only.

You can buy Three pay-as-you-go SIMs at the airport for less than £20, but I guess American phones still tend to be locked, unfortunately. I guess you guys don't have contactless bank cards either, so you'll have to get an Oyster card for London transportation, tube/busses/rail.

No matter the location the best places to check out hostels are probably these,

http://www.hostels.com

http://www.hostelworld.com/

Bring your own small lock with you. Some hostels provide them, others don't. Also I'd suggest packing as little as possible, just a backpack with clothes and essentials.

Sweet, thanks. Is there an easy way to wash my clothes there? Like public laundry or laundry at hostels?

This is the truth. Finding wifi is usually a hassle and even when you do it is The Cloud or some other registration based thing, which ends up not even working after you've gone through the authentication. You can't do much with travel apps like Citymapper (for London) if you're relying on wifi only.

You can buy Three pay-as-you-go SIMs at the airport for less than £20, but I guess American phones still tend to be locked, unfortunately. I guess you guys don't have contactless bank cards either, so you'll have to get an Oyster card for London.

My phone is unlocked and I use Net10 Wireless. Not too up on my knowledge of phones but I should be able to just pop in the new SIM card, right?

What is the Oyster card for, exactly?

Again, sorry about all the questions guys. Just want to be super prepared. Thanks for all the helpful responses.

Llyranor

Ok ok ok I take back the wifi thing. I guess I was staying at a friend's, so I never really felt like I had to look anything up via data since I constantly had a guide.

Oyster is the subway card.

For unlocked phones, you just replace the sim card and you're good to go (might need to set up a few settings, but they can do it for you at the airport shop)

Anticol

Banned
One tip, behave yourself there, it is not your country so follow their rules and all that, Americans and Chinese have fame as the worst tourists for a reason, but you seem like a decent person so yeah.

One tip, behave yourself there, it is not your country so follow their rules and all that, Americans and Chinese have fame as the worst tourists for a reason, but you seem like a decent person so yeah.

Just out of curiosity, what would be "not behaving myself"? Like, obeying their laws and such? I figured as long I should be a decent human being I should be fine but is there specific things I should watch out for?

Llyranor

Just out of curiosity, what would be "not behaving myself"? Like, obeying their laws and such? I figured as long I should be a decent human being I should be fine but is there specific things I should watch out for?

If you see a random line-up, it is customary/polite to queue up.

A.edrerai

Banned

When a Scot ask you to burn the british flag you do it instantly you must obey , its a tradition :p

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Make sure to bring your gun; Brits will take any chance to tyrannize and control you so keep on your toes.

Also, if anybody offers you tea, be polite and take it. You can always pretend to sip it and then dump in a plant or the toilet or something when they're not looking.

ChawlieTheFair

Just being aware that Americans do have a stereotype on them, and that many in Britain are probably scared/upset because of the referendum. But that's normal stuff, it'll be totally fine. And make sure you take the piss properly.

Just being aware that Americans do have a stereotype on them, and that many in Britain are probably scared/upset because of the referendum. But that's normal stuff, it'll be totally fine. And make sure you take the piss properly.

Cool, thanks. I'll be sure to let them urinate on me if that's the tradition ;)

And since my thread has descended into jokes thats probably all the advice I needed. Super thank you NeoGAF peeps

choco-fish

More prettier? Potential double negative aside this is a bit of a sweeping statement. Why would you base a decision on where to travel on what the population look like? Britian and especially London is fairly multicultural.

Go to Spain, especially somewhere like Benidorm and you will see more of us 'ugly Brits' than you will in London!!

Just a couple more tips

- Go by bus to travel from city to city ( http://uk.megabus.com/ ), trains are usually ridiculously expensive
- as others have said, book your hostels beforehand. Having to find a hassle can be a hassle. Look up the hostel online to check, if it's a shitty party hostel or family hostel. YHA hostels are generally more quiet, family hostels. They are a bit more expensive, but it's usually worth it
- I can only speak for Scotland, but as a foreigner I generally feel welcome and people usually treat you nice, so don't worry
- try the local food at local pubs, it can be quite good
- bring power plug adaptors
- bring warm and waterproof clothes, it will be rainy in September

panty

More prettier? Potential double negative aside this is a bit of a sweeping statement. Why would you base a decision on where to travel on what the population look like? Britian and especially London is fairly multicultural.

Go to Spain, especially somewhere like Benidorm and you will see more of us 'ugly Brits' than you will in London!!

Chill, it was a tongue in cheek comment although that's what I think. In my opinion spanish women are generally more appealing to me than their british counterparts.

danowat

Banned
Come to Norfolk, hire a boat and spend a few days on the broads, or spend a few days travelling the north Norfolk coast.

NsirhC

Be careful not to get your credit card information stolen and scammed. Happened the first time I went to a UK restaurant :x

Always make sure you can see the credit card being processed in front of you.

weekev

Banned
If you are coming to Scotland, Id definitely recommend meeting your friend in Edinburgh if they dont already live there. Loads to see and do, the castle is great and some of the guided tours are fantastic, especially the ghost walks if you want a cheesy jump scare.

TaKupxy.gif

Say it constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom