• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images of massive 2,800+ player battle in EVE Online

Gowans

dOPa0aXh.jpg

ShHjOkrh.jpg

IDy54zlh.jpg

hUW41Xxh.jpg

xvNXRFvh.jpg

UgplSKwh.jpg

T7U9CJXh.jpg

Fd7VEyS.jpg

Len0Ai5h.jpg

Source: Reddit

EDIT: Video

Sethos

Banned
Reads title: "Oh yeah, I'm expecting a huge organized space battle with formations and debris everywhere with that command ship hovering in the distance leading the troops"

Clicks thread: CLUSTERFUCK!

Looks like a damn tornado.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why no video? Because framerate. Guess everyone was on autopilot and just saw what the result was hours later?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Why no video? Because framerate. Guess everyone was on autopilot and just saw what the result was hours later?
Yeah large fights get so unbearable they slow down time in the space (Down to 10% time scale, then lagtime scale can kick in from 0.1% to 1% time) surrounding the fight. FPS takes a rather large dive as well.
And you can't see any of the smaller ships that are 1/100th the size of the large ships.

I want to know why so many Titans are so close together, seriously why?

*Great Video in HQ 1080p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLqb-m1ZZUA&hd=1. Titans warp in at 3:35

derFeef

Yeah large fights get so unbearable they slow down time in the space surrounding the fight or something. FPS takes a rather large dive as well.

I want to know why so many Titans are so close together, seriously why?

I guess it's because everything is shit to control there so no one gives a thing. Clusterfuck indeed.

Gee, I've always wanted to see a war game sometime in the future where we could have something like 1000 vs 1000 man battles. Either with swords or guns, either works. No respawn and you just fight until one army is left standing. I guess we won't be ready for that anytime soon? Or maybe there really isn't a market for it?

Tworak

EVE Online such an incredible game to read about, but... less so to actually play. :>
I was going to say it looked pretty cool until he said it was going at 8x speed.
I'm pretty sure it's not sped up at the start, only after a few minutes.

It's pretty crazy considering those big ships are fucking huge, and there are countless smaller ships you can barely make out that outnumbers them by far.

It is funny not a shit was given to proper orbiting and distance holding.

BAW

Banned
Serious question: Has any Space MMORPG done proper massive epic space battles Star Wars-style or not yet?

diamount

Banned
I've always found it more fun to read about EVE than to play it. The whole fall of BoB because of an inside job is just epic.

CzarTim

EVE is an RTS (where you only control one ship) with the UI of an action game. It's a real shame, because if the UI complemented the actual gameplay better, it'd be more accessible.

Kryptonic

Wow, that is crazy. I always want to get into this game but usually end up just playing for a week or so when new expansions come out and give up.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I think this is an accurate representation of war: pure and utter chaos.

Especially in the 3 dimensions of space, and terrain considerations are non-existent.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
boo

Was expecting Total War-style formations and such.
WE NEED EVERYONE TO FUCKING LOGIN AND JUMP ON OUR SUPER CAPS
*que people logging on as fast as possible to get in numbers*
pewpewpew. Figure out support and logistics later, zerg first.

Especially in the 3 dimensions of space, and terrain considerations are non-existent.
It was really enlightening reading some of the reddit posts on people actually fighting for a change. Due to SOV changes (tl;dr things in space grant you ownership of said space. Shoot the thing to kill it, then make your own) players had to literally GRIND for hours a day in cycles across North America / Europe / Russia.Asia to maintain control for MONTHS.

wJQkkFb.png

Reads title: "Oh yeah, I'm expecting a huge organized space battle with formations and debris everywhere with that command ship hovering in the distance leading the troops"

Clicks thread: CLUSTERFUCK!

Looks like a damn tornado.

exactly!!!

That is a good point, you wouldn't really have neat formations in space. So long as they are not colliding, they'd be traveling in all directions

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I was reading about the repercussions of this over the past day and it was as intense as I expected it. No game rivals the capacity of consequences.

diamount

Banned
I was reading about the repercussions of this over the past day and it was as intense as I expected it. No game rivals the capacity of consequences.

Sure, it's awesome on paper but it does not but EVE does not do big battles well. I'm more interested in the economic effects though.

Sure, it's awesome on paper but it does not but EVE does not do big battles well. I'm more interested in the economic effects though.

I guess I have to wonder what would constitute doing them "well." Whether or not they're pretty to look at after the fact is inconsequential for the actual participants, and maybe more to the point, I think we're a few ticks past 'big' battles when 2800 are involved, and yeah, the servers are gonna have a tough time managing that; in EVE at least, it can happen. There's plenty of great footage of battles involving 50-100 people that are a lot easier to to get your head around.

Here's a great example (now this is far from raw footage of course, a lot of work went into the presentation/editing/etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrYe_4vHzgE

If you can excuse the melodrama, the video does an excellent job of presenting a coherent narrative for entirely player driven events, and displaying examples of large scale combat in eve, but not so large that it is unintelligible.

Top Bottom