• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images of propaganda accross history *offensive material inside*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roman propaganda was the best.

"'Others shall hammer forth more delicately a breathing likeness out of bronze ... but you, Roman, must remember that you have to guide the nations.'"

All those statues you see? Propaganda. The Romans were masters of this shit.

terrisus

dont-tread-on-me-meaning.jpg

That missing apostrophe >.>

terrisus

Roman propaganda was the best.

"'Others shall hammer forth more delicately a breathing likeness out of bronze ... but you, Roman, must remember that you have to guide the nations.'"

All those statues you see? Propaganda. The Romans were masters of this shit.

Mille viae ducunt homines per saecula NeoGAF

terrisus

And apparently North Korean troops are hundreds of feet tall. Who knew?

Nah, it's just a 6-inch scale White House.

I guess we should just go ahead and go for the max disturbing levels in advertising and propaganda.

What's "propaganda" about that, exactly?

I mean, it's wrong and messed-up, of course.
But not propaganda.

Terrisus, what's your grammatical take on this?

I'll allow it :þ
(Pure Maple Syrup fo' life, yo!)

takriel

Minarett.png

An official picture used by the political party SVP back in 2009 to stir the Swiss people up against minarets.

braves01

Banned

That would be super effective. Nothing more shameful than looking like a wimp to your future kids.

---

The American propaganda is cool, even it's anti-American propaganda, like that Bioshock boss one. Uncle Sam is a bad ass.

Retro-Propaganda-posters-against-Syphilis-and-Gonorrhea-2.jpg

This one's pretty bad. I wonder what it's in reaction to...

pp_us_09.jpg

Incoming threesome.

womenfact.jpg

The Sound of Music: Reloaded

Wenceslaus_Hollar_%E2%80%93_supposed_Irish_atrocities_during_the_Rebellion_of_1641.jpg

And some idiot people genuinely wonder why the Irish never liked the English.

rationing-food-is-a-weapon.jpg

Especially if it isn't cooked properly. That runny poo is death incarnate.

422228506_98bd725053.jpg

Anti-Vaccinators still swear by the finger crossing.

95-smack+the+japs!.jpg

They missed the shot, due to both the lackidaisical nature of the subject in the poster, and his horrific moustache.

propaganda2teaser-big.jpg

Yuck. That's an awful drawing of anyone.

pp_us_59.jpg

This scene from Lord of the Rings: Return of the King depicts the Army of the Dead assisting Gondor in its struggles.

Ta-daa~
I was only joking.

I guess we should just go ahead and go for the max disturbing levels in advertising and propaganda.

mp055.jpg

This isn't propaganda. While it's fucked up there was racial advertising, do not change the thread into complaining about racist advertising.

Propaganda promotes a certain political narrative to the general public.

terrisus

This isn't propaganda. While it's fucked up there was racial advertising, do not change the thread into complaining about racist advertising.

And there's a decent amount of slavery propaganda out there I'm sure, which would be a fit for the thread.

North Korea, obvs.

x02OzyW.jpg

Frankly it's far more plausible to think that North Korea has genetically engineered soldiers to be the size of skyscrapers than it is to think they can make tiny models of American buildings. I can't believe you'd even suggest such a thing.

Propaganda promotes a certain political narrative to the general public.

I think an ad selling slavery in 1855 is 100% propaganda considering the country was fighting bitterly over allowing slavery in the new states. But okay,

civil%20war%20poster1.jpg

Retro

Why was Bugs drawing the Japanese flag on trees?

Victory tallies, like you'd see on an airplane for each enemy they'd shot down. Usually it was a symbol like a plane or bomb (Bombers generally added one bomb for each mission), but enemy flags were also common.

braves01

Banned
What about some recent examples?

Actual Pro-Russia, anti-European propaganda in Ukrainie from right before the crisis.

I like the incoherent mishmash of Hitler, gay people, the EU, and drugs (never mind the fact Russia has drug problems worse than anywhere in the EU).

i find it fascinating that Italy and Germany were enemies during WW1 but Mussolini decided to become allied with Germany for WWII

I can't really recall any recent or blatant propaganda for the current Iraq War.
Nowadays it's relegated to unsourced stories reporting beheadings, crucifixitions, baby killing, chemical weapons, etc but without the supporting pictures or evidence.

Basically the American press does it with words instead of pictures- unless it's a big enough incident, and then we'll see a few images of dead kids*.

* good ones, not bad ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom