• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortal Unchained - alpha gameplay- Souls-like shooter

VertigoOA

Banned
I've been waiting for a Souls shooter. Will watch more later but first enemy carrying a sword and shield while you're firing a hand canon was lols.

If From is done with Dark Souls I'm kinda expecting a sci fi Souls game. Would be hype as fuck.

It's just a matter of time tho.

bati

Looks like it has some potential but animations and hitboxes are horrible right now. If they don't tighten up these two things game will be DOA.

Orpheum

Looks like it has some potential but animations and hitboxes are horrible right now. If they don't tighten up these two things game will be DOA.

yes those are the things which definitely need the most attention right now

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Stopped watching once I saw full auto aim for shooting. Why do that unless this is a mobile game?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm skeptical because I give From Software a lot of credit and they aren't always that far off with each entry. Sinner and The Surge are games that went off my radar. Nothing's wrong with clones, but it isn't always guaranteed to scratch that same itch.

However, this does seem cool. I signed up for info about the alpha:
http://www.immortalthegame.com

Last edited:

Zaffo

If the whole thing about your "souls-like" is shoothing, why would you automate the aiming procecss?
Feels like a very ps2 solution, for a problem we dont have anymore.

gioGAF

Looks interesting. I would go for something like this, but the execution is so important. I haven't really enjoyed any Souls-clones thus far.

RVIDXR

Looks like the Vex area in Destiny. They should speed up the pace to Bloodborne levels.

Last edited:

noqtic

Animations don't really do a great job of conveying what's happening on screen, and the writing is meh so far.

Could be good eventually but definitely does need a lot of work.

Sriracha_X

Neo Member
The game looks interesting, but I got to know if you can free-aim. I don't really want to play a shooter when the only thing you can do is lock-on.

sublimit

Banned
Meh. Another Souls clone with a boring world and character designs. Code Vain looks much more interesting and unique.

iHaunter

Looks so slow...

Takes 0 dmg until boss fight. One enemy every 2-3 minutes. The scary part of Souls games is that you have to get up close and personal. Hope is does well though.

Last edited:
Yeah I published about the alpha (not here) earlier. I did a video and everything. Writing about games has a few perks.

Yeah, the auto-aim/lock on system is annoying because it can't be turned off. No option for manual.

I am also ambivalent about the setting. It's like we're going back a gaming generation to grim and gritty everything. Your avatar is a Kratos wannabe with military-grade guns.

It's okay to good. Not bad or great. It does annoy me that shooting your guns drains stamina as if you were swinging a sword. No...just...no.

You can aim at a distance, but accuracy depends on your perception stat as well as the weapon used. Yes, you do have a S.P.E.C.I.A.L., plus one more stat. Of course, they work in different ways in this game, not that it lasts long enough in the alpha to make a difference in how you build your character.

Valdega

This isn't much of a shooter. You have auto-aim and enemies don't have ranged attacks. This more like a poorly-done Dark Souls with guns.

xviper

this looks bad, even worse than Lords of the fallen which was REALLY BAD

ever since Demon's souls came out, there is only one game that cloned Soulsborne series successfully, and that game is Salt and Sanctuary, as a veteran fan of the series since Demon's came out, Salt and Sanctuary was even better than that lazy shitty sequel known as Dark souls 3

This isn't much of a shooter. You have auto-aim and enemies don't have ranged attacks. This more like a poorly-done Dark Souls with guns.

If you have not played the game, don't spread lies.

Literally after you defeat the first real threat, the shield and lance enemy that you see through the window of the first room after crossing the first bridge, your next enemy encounter is against zombies with rifles.

MOST of the enemies in the game have guns.

Valdega

If you have not played the game, don't spread lies.

Literally after you defeat the first real threat, the shield and lance enemy that you see through the window of the first room after crossing the first bridge, your next enemy encounter is against zombies with rifles.

MOST of the enemies in the game have guns.

Whoops, my bad. I didn't actually get that far in the video before getting bored. I just now skipped ahead and saw some of the ranged enemies and I'm still underwhelmed. This is not a good third-person shooter.

Tevious

lol at shooting draining your stamina.

Eh... I don't know if I'd be interested in this. Should have done some cool looking futuristic melee weapons.

Last edited:

gioGAF

I don't think shooting using stamina is totally unjustified. I haven't played the game, but it is probably done for balancing purposes. Souls games have implemented some sort of limiting factor to ranged attacks, otherwise what would be the point? You could just blast shit from across the room like a normal shooter.

Obviously, I will wait and see before I either praise or shit on this game. For now, it looks interesting, but from personal experience with the genre, this one will be bad/mediocre until proven otherwise.

Shooting reduces stamina in this game? Eh not sure if that’s fun

It's just like having to balance between offense and defense in a Souls game.

I understand that it exists for balance, but it's still dumb. You get more tired swinging around a melee weapon in real life rather than shooting, which is why guns were invented in the first place. In this game, not only do you have to reload, but you have to manage your stamina when you do shoot.

paolo11

It's just like having to balance between offense and defense in a Souls game.

I understand that it exists for balance, but it's still dumb. You get more tired swinging around a melee weapon in real life rather than shooting, which is why guns were invented in the first place. In this game, not only do you have to reload, but you have to manage your stamina when you do shoot.

Yeah, that thing worries me too. I hope they change that mechanic

Larxia

I don't understand why are people shocked at the autoaim, it's not like this is the first game to do that, it's actually something quite common in action games like this, even GTA V is like that.

Also the game seems to be designed to be played with a controller, so autoaim makes sense. I personnally hate when I have to aim in a game with a controller, and I would usually switch to mouse and keyboard if there is a lot of aiming in a game.
Maybe it looks like it's not necessary in this video, but the game could be much more fast paced later on and autoaim would make sense, with a game that would feel more like an action game with guns rather than a "shooter".

I think the main problem here is advertising the game as a "shooter", and not really the game itself. We need to see if the whole game is like in this video or not to really judge.

Oddspeak

I'm glad to see them go the way of Nioh and allow you to see the enemy's stamina meter. Dark Souls 3 was the straw that broke my back on enemies being able to flail around all damn day with no repercussions.

I'm glad to see them go the way of Nioh and allow you to see the enemy's stamina meter. Dark Souls 3 was the straw that broke my back on enemies being able to flail around all damn day with no repercussions.

It's an armor meter, not stamina. Take notice that your weapons can do "armor penetration." At 0 AP, you have to damage their armor until it's 0 before they take HP damage, unless you shoot them where there isn't armor (face?).

The more AP you have, the faster they will lose HP in addition to armor. Also, unlike stamina, enemy armor does not recharge back to max when it hits zero. Diminishing returns, if you will.

Oddspeak

It's an armor meter, not stamina. Take notice that your weapons can do "armor penetration." At 0 AP, you have to damage their armor until it's 0 before they take HP damage, unless you shoot them where there isn't armor (face?).

The more AP you have, the faster they will lose HP in addition to armor. Also, unlike stamina, enemy armor does not recharge back to max when it hits zero. Diminishing returns, if you will.

Oooh, okay. Interesting.

Shifty

You could argue that guns using stamina is a recoil thing- you have to put in some effort to counteract it and thus it uses the bar.

Now, whether the cost is accurate relative to that of swinging a melee weapon is debatable, but that can be hand-waved with game balance reasoning.

Myself I reckon ammo count and reloads are a more sensible and intuitive way to limit a player's damage output in a souls-like framework, as they perform a similar job from a mechanical standpoint.

Reyziak

This looks good, may be janky, but I enjoy jank(Two Worlds 2, Risen 3, Risen 2, Bound By Flame are my favorite games), so this does appeal to me.

Top Bottom