• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals Fenyx Rising |OT| Gods and Monsters and Callistos, Oh My

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the music is really nice. the voice acting i think is good, if you can stand to watch an 80s cartoon, you can stand this. the graphics are super gorgeous and different enough from BOTW to be a totally unique thing. combat is a lot of fun. i like the shoulder buttons i dunno.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
18 hours in and still enjoying it a lot, although I should take a break now before I burn too bright. Done Aphrodite and Ares.

It's really good. Second surprise of the year after Bugsnax, I remember seeing an early build of this and thinking it was a doomed mobile game. Can't believe it's one of the things I'm rounding out the PS5 launch on.

Ogbert

Two questions

Has anyone managed to make a controller set up where the face buttons are used for combat?

Anyone know why the HDR configs are greyed out?

No.

Tried for an hour to find something that works, but I couldn’t get parry and dodge to stick.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Parry is easy just hit L1 + R1 and you will spin your weapon for a party window. During that window if a non-red enemy attack connects, you got yourself a parry.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Also now that I’ve seen more of the map I am really loving this! like a next gen BOTW with a whole new world to explore. Very thoughtful level design here alongside super charming art.

Gc03gex.jpg

opTcPl1.jpg

6DRWCNW.jpg

JQzAXO6.jpg

7nQB1yY.jpg

RDTF7Fo.jpg

niHUSX8.jpg

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I’m enjoying this, I really wish it wouldn’t have come out so close to Valhalla. Because I was taking a break from Valhalla and end up playing this...which is a cartoon assassin creed
Seriously tho ugh, what was Ubi thinking in not spacing releases out better? Can we blame that on the China Virus too?

Darak

Finished the game in hard, in about 40 hours, with all the HUD disabled except player's health. Not a 100% playthrough but I did a ton of side content. The game is an absolute gem and took me by surprise, as it went from an impulse buy to my GOTY. Game design (puzzles, combat) is outstanding and something I wouldn't believe Ubisoft would be capable of pulling off.

Just a few things in my mind:
  • Audio design is excellent. You get noticeable audio cues for things like low stamina, attacks, etc. to the point I had no issue playing the entire game with no HUD (well, except for two or three missions which expect you to press a button in a nondescript map spot, those missions can die).
  • The game is a bit on the easy side, especially if you do a lot of side content and get you character maxed out. I was stuck in two bosses because I went to them too early and unprepared (and I was stubborn) but you can leave any content and return later. It's not *too* easy, though, and you can die easily on hard if you are not careful. Nightmare mode (the locked mode) is no joke.
  • The encounter difficulty ramps up as you progress (all mobs will be upgraded, even the ones you encounter in the startup areas), which is understandable considering you can go anywhere and do tasks in any order. I'm not sure if boss encounters are, though, as I definitively had an easier time with later ones. It may be just me getting better at combat, though.
  • The final third of the game is incredible and definitively a big highlight. There is no free roam after the final dungeon, it's a straight jump to new game+ though, which is disappointing.
  • You can play with a female character which looks like a woman, which is an unexpected surprise coming from Ubisoft (or almost any AAA publisher nowadays). Some of the armor looks weird on a female character, though, but switching the look of any armor is free and available at any moment.
  • Puzzles are definitively a big focus, and there are hundreds of them. Puzzle design is extraordinary and it's amazing how they keep getting fresh despite reusing the same few concepts dozens of times. This is perhaps not the game to get if you hate puzzles.
  • Platforming/traversal is a bit off, but I'm not sure if it's just because I have not mastered it. For example, sometimes the game would ignore my double jump input because it has not recharged itself despite me being sure I have touched the ground. And sometimes the sticky AC climbing controls can get in the way, too. Those things are only apparent in a racing vault towards the end game, though. Even the open world races usually give you plenty of extra time.
  • Played this on PS5 and there is an obnoxious sound bug where sometimes the audio will get distorted until I close the game and restart it (this may be related to rest mode). There are some minor frame pacing issues, which are annoying because the game is very close to stable 60fps. I hope they fix those issues because other than that the game is incredibly polished.
It's terrible how this title has been released to die in the middle of the big name releases. I want a Fenyx sequel much more than I want another AC :(. It seems to be getting good word of mouth, so there's hope.

Last edited:

DjMystix

Finally completed it last night. It took some 32+ hours to get to most of the stuff in the game and man what a fun filled ride it was. I was not bored for a minute in all that time (I fell asleep a couple of times playing Valhalla and Legion).

The best way to describe this game is that it takes the best of BotW AND Darksiders (and a little bit of Jak & Daxter) and creates an experience so great and keeps it fresh till the very end. I completed the game and still didn't run out of new skills and activities to unlock. There is so much to do in the game. It looks gorgeous and the controls are super responsive and intuitive.

IMO, this is the best game Ubisoft has put out in year and it has now become one of my favorite games of this year. Finally a ubisoft game that doesn't lack "soul".

I played on PS5 and the super fast loading time definitely helps the experience. I highly recommend you guys give this a try. It was fantastic!

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Seriously tho ugh, what was Ubi thinking in not spacing releases out better? Can we blame that on the China Virus too?
Nah, Ubi cashing in on the next gen consoles release. They new that lots of people would be looking to get games for their new consoles..

Anyway, for those with an xbox elite controller, I went into the controller config app, and swapped light attack RB with the X button, and heavy attack RT with the Y button. So now yeah chests and stuff are RT, but it fucking helps in combat.

Last edited:

Darak

Edit: disregard what I said, I thought checkpoints in vaults were disabled in nightmare mode but I was wrong. In nightmare you can die and lose your progress inside a vault, but apparently that only happens if you lose all your health, while if you fall with enough health remaining you'll only lose some chunks and respawn at the closest checkpoint. In hindsight, this is preferable since dying inside a vault in normal/hard has no consequence at all.

I'm having a lot of fun in nightmare. Dodge and parry windows are massively reduced and you really need to learn enemy animations and time your response accordingly.

Last edited:
Patch for version 1.03 is live and addresses the PS5 stuttering bug, also improves haptics and increases particle trail resolution

Graphics

• [PC] Added Ultra Quality Setting support for several sub settings related to Shadows, Environment and Effects
  • [PS5 / Xbox Serie X] Increased particle trails resolution
System

• [PC] When playing with Mouse and Keyboard, you can now also dodge by double pressing a direction button
  • [PC] Addressed the missing audio on Windows 7 and 8
  • [PS5] Improved haptic feedback on DualSense controller
  • [PS5] Reduced known issues of stuttering on PS5 performance mode

JCK75

I decided to grab it a few days ago, glad I did as I absolutely love it..
it's like they took the best elements of BOTW and AC and made a game with most of the positive aspects of each while leaving out most of the negative.
I'm going to try to not let Cyberpunk prevent me from finishing it.

Kimahri

Banned
The Ubisoft fatigue is starting to set for me. There's just too much stuff everywhere and a lot of it is getting pretty samey and unrewarding after 50 hours.

I should just finish the story, but I'm one of those stupid completionists that need to do everything.

I'm remembering why I haven't played a single Ubisoft game for ten years.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I started off really liking this game, but it has started to feel like a chore and a bit repetitive now.

It’s basically running back and forth over the map just getting collectibles for 90% of the game. It’s satisfying to scratch that OCD/progression itch, but the problem is, it’s starting to not feel rewarding. There’s nothing super cool you can really get. Most of the stuff you get in chests are different skins. If you could get some really powerful weapon/armor or unique skill it might feel like all this effort is worth it. But it still is feeling repetitive nonetheless. I’m only on my 3rd zone and if it’s feeling this repetitive now, I can’t imagine what it’ll feel like once I finish.

Game has a lot of promise, just feel future installments need more meat and less potatoes.

LOLCats

Banned
Game has a lot of promise, just feel future installments need more meat and less potatoes.

ubisoft thinks too much protein in your diet isnt good for your health.

seriously though, reading this thread makes me want to pick this up.

but im already playing 4 games right now lol.

i'll wait.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can my son and I both have saves on this game? It says it will overite auto saves?
There are autosaves, and having two campaigns going will overwrite the autosaves of the other. However... there are manual saves / manual loads. The menu will default to "continue..." which will load the latest autosave.

So as long as you exercise a bit of caution when manually saving (not overwriting the other's save) you should be fine. Also - depending on what system you're playing on (if console), you could just have your son set up a guest account on your console and play using that profile which will have it's own save storage.

phant0m

Buy this game kids. Best Ubi game this year, and needs the $ support to show Ubi they can make something besides FC and AC or remakes. A joy to play and I actually really like its sense of humor.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The fuck is wrong with yall?
Fuck this game man holy fucking shit? Yall expect a sane person to withstand that fucking abuse VOICEOVER SHIT in the intro of this game?
HOLY SHIT
I refunded before my head exploded.. Holy shit is that voiceover annoying as fuck man. Dear lord this is even worse then borderlands 3

also french people are NOT FUNNY this sheit reeks of "french comedy" avoid like hell!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Xbox Live Winter Sale:

Standard Edition - $40.19

Gold Edition - $66.99

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I ORDERED IT EARLIER WITH THE DISCOUNT

FUCK ME CAN I TURN OFF THESE D TIER BASTION IMPERSONATORS OR WHAT FAM
NAH DUDE ABORT GAME RUN THE FUCK AWAY WHEN YOU STILL CAN.

Srsly epic game store has 2 week 2 hour discount option.

Last edited:
How is this game, not really into reading to much about games i buy in case i get spoiled, but seems interesting and is on sale atm, is it fun?

Neolombax

It seems very kingdom heartsy to me. Is that true?

I honestly did not think of Kingdom Hearts at all. Kingdom Hearts feels like it takes itself quite seriously, quite the opposite to this game.

The jokes in Immortals can sometimes be quite adult, some have dark undertones to it due to the game being based off Greek mythology, but told in a ridiculous accent. I feel like they purposely went for the fake sounding accent. The story isn't meant to be taken seriously, its a light hearted hero adventure, I feel like the bad accent adds to this vibe.

Top Bottom