• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Important: Should already on-disc DLC be made officially illegal?

Should we make already on-disc DLC illegal? (read OP for legal issue)

• Total voters
A lot of people support the move to put gambling regulations on certain types of mechanics being introduced in recent releases, but here's something very few people talk about:

Originally, it was argued to be illegal, to block content in a game you already brought for full price as it was promised you would receive the full advertised product, however a way they got around that was licenses, and giving a deeper restriction to game ownership.

HOWEVER, it is still not really legal on court grounds, for other industries, a lawsuit would be expected, but for gaming oddly, we decided to agree to making this industry an exception. How? If we are promised a license which allows us to use a product then the game and what's on the DISC IS that product. If you BLOCK a part of the game whether permanently or unless we pay a fee, we are not receiving the full product that we got the license to "own" or "use" in any legal sense. Because f the DLC is not already on the disc and added later, then we are receiving additional benefits that can add value to the product.

However, if we are spending money on a product or product license, but we do not have full access to what would already be considered "part of the product" than it is clearly not legal in anyway. DLC already on-disc is nothing more than a scheme. IN other industries this would not be tolerated and I believe that we should change course and stop being abused by these companies. All they would have to do is take that already finished DLC out of the disc and offer it to us as a separate benefit. The solution is so simple that any complaint from publishers about making it illegal should be written-off as insane.

One reason why the industry is in such a mess is because gamers in general are becoming more and more easy to abuse and manipulate by all these companies, and we will allow them to go through loop-holes to do so. Instead, we should talk about issues like on-disc DLC and make sure to let these companies know it IS Illegal and we will not tolerate it anymore.

A new gaming revolution!

cRIPticon

If we are promised a license which allows us to use a product then the game and what's on the DISC IS that product. If you BLOCK a part of the game whether permanently or unless we pay a fee, we are not receiving the full product that we got the license to "own" or "use" in any legal sense. Because f the DLC is not already on the disc and added later, then we are receiving additional benefits that can add value to the product.

Sorry, but this is wrong. You have a licence to use the content as determined by the letter of license, not the quantity of content on the disk. The "product" is the content access as determined by the license, not the delivery mechanism. Just as, when you buy a game on a disk, you own the plastic, you own the paper for the cover, you own the ink used to print it etc. You do not have rights to use the arrangement of the ink (the artwork) in any manner you choose nor do you have the right to the information arranged on the disk in any other way than expressed in the EULA. By your logic, you should have access to all cable channels because they are, basically, delivered to your home but are hidden behind paywalls.

Akuza89

It shouldn't happen no, should it be made illegal? no.

it's no where near as bad as lootboxes which should be made illegal, since that is basically turning the "on disc content" into a gambling game...

I don't agree with them doing it and to be fair there's only really Capcom I can think of that still does this, but it happens usually because it's a character that still hasn't been balanced or objects that haven't been balanced it could be anything.... but to charge for them, that's just plain greed.

Iorv3th

If it were made illegal they just wouldn't put it on the disk and will make you download the whole thing.

spookyfish

If it were made illegal they just wouldn't put it on the disk and will make you download the whole thing.

Seriously. It wouldn’t keep the publishers from having it ready day one.

I don’t like your polls, because to answer no means I support the “rest of” the no answer. I don’t.

The answer “no” is because of this: It wouldn’t stop Day one DLC being made in the least little bit. Not because I want to give “companies leeway in monetization.”

I hope you’re not doing these for a class on polling research, or some such; because the “answers” are leading and HORRIBLE.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
You know the those terms and agreements that most people ignore and skip right through. That's their right to do that. Now if they lose sales because of it that is on them.

BlackTron

I never thought it would get to such an extreme point that I would bother to post about it but seriously. These polls are as numerous as they are badly conceived and written and it's just starting to be a big joke. Come on already.

giphy.gif

I’m not sure whey the legal precedent is for on-disc additional cost DLC. Personally I’d rather focus on making it illegal for people to lose their digital libraries

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
If this were implemented, it wouldn’t have any effect on DLC being sold. Publishers simply wouldn’t put the content on the disc, and you would have to download it. The only effect this would have is making it less convenient to buy DLC, especially for people with slower internet.

You do realize that just because something is on the disc, that doesn’t mean it was not planned as additional content from the beginning, with developer resources allocated to it with the idea that it would be sold separately in mind during project planning?

If we follow your thesis through to conclusion, we have to decide that the publisher is arbitrarily blocking off content that was part of the original game and charging extra for it. This is just not the way any kind of software development works. It astonishes me that people can hold this kind of opinion. It also wreaks of entitlement.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The whole argument is idiotic.

You're buying a game, not the totality of the developers' efforts for the duration of that game's development cycle.

If I tasked 50 people with making the main game, but also tasked a separate smaller team of 10 to make an add-on concurrently, the buyer isn't entitled to both for the same price.

The people working on the add-on deserve to get paid just as much as the main-game members, and how their work is delivered isn't relevant to that.

clem84

Gold Member
What would that change? Companies would simply withhold the content. Wouldn't change a thing.

I've never been bothered by on-disc DLC. If the base game is worth it, I buy. The DLC is subject to the same evaluation.

EDMIX

It shouldn't happen no, should it be made illegal? no.

it's no where near as bad as lootboxes which should be made illegal, since that is basically turning the "on disc content" into a gambling game...

I don't agree with them doing it and to be fair there's only really Capcom I can think of that still does this, but it happens usually because it's a character that still hasn't been balanced or objects that haven't been balanced it could be anything.... but to charge for them, that's just plain greed.

This.

Folks also need to realize that legally, that is still the companies product. They are very much free to have content in the game like that as many would open the door to saying the game being hard and they can't pass a part, so sue. Can't unlock a character on hard mode, so sue...

at some point we at least need to understand legally what the customer owns as many keep trying to argue buying the disk as owning the IP or something. So that isn't anything even near what I'd consider illegal.

EDMIX

The whole argument is idiotic.

You're buying a game, not the totality of the developers' efforts for the duration of that game's development cycle.

If I tasked 50 people with making the main game, but also tasked a separate smaller team of 10 to make an add-on concurrently, the buyer isn't entitled to both for the same price.

The people working on the add-on deserve to get paid just as much as the main-game members, and how their work is delivered isn't relevant to that.

THANK YOU! This 100%.

Its like getting mad at someone for building your kitchen because you see him building someone else one or something.

What if i bought the house?

I really depends on the agreement. With my first two homes I sold, both had oil furnaces and oil tanks. We negotiated a sale of the oil remaining behind. We basically sold it as part of the house sale. We've always taken all food with us, but a case could be made to sell all contents I suppose.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's not remotely illegal.

Edit: misunderstood the question. It's even dumber than I first thought, and still not remotely illegal.

Last edited:
And what would that accomplish ? At best you would have companies removing that same content from disc and putting it as download.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Just because I invited you over to my house doesn't mean you can rifle through my fridge.
For me, specifically though, it is fine if I empty your fridge, or at least eat all honey melons in the house, right? I need 30 a day afterall. Can' invite me over and expect me to starve :(.

I am not in favour of DLC, at all, but ruling out that the DLC is on disc does not help in any way, because developers will then just leave them off disc.

Aren117

Do we even get DLC on the disc anymore? We barely get the entire game nowdays, with lots of Day 1 Patches.

It is a bit of a douche move tho, I mean, the thing is already there, done before the game went gold... idk.

Don't agree with the Day One stuff however it is up to the Publisher. Not sure if it should be illegal but it if were they would just charge you later by delaying the DLC release.

I am fine with DLC a few months later though if it were made illegal but I doubt it will go that route.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
No. I think that I, as a gamer, am only entitled to the content I know I'm getting when I buy a game. Whether more content is already on the disc or not is absolutely unimportant.

JCK75

illegal? hell no!!!
But it is time gamers learn to show disapproval by not putting out money for this crap, refuse to buy it and they will stop doing it.

Ballthyrm

Hello i bought a apartment in a condo but the real estate developer doesn't want me to access the whole building.
What can i do, is that illegal ?

Vawn

Banned
Should it be illegal and should the government step in and arrest someone for making constant nonsensical polls on a gaming forum?

- Yes, it should absolutely be illegal.
- No, but yes.

But, it obviously should not be illegal to sell games however they want, as long as it's still legal not to buy it.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

This is something I really hate but it shouldn't be illegal. However, consumers should vote with their wallets to stop it.

pr0cs

That would be simply stupid, why force people to download it, save them at least some effort and save them bandwidth.

You don't own anything on the disc, the media sure but the contents aren't owned by you.
Besides, you have zero idea when dlc is produced so whining about "its on the disc I should own it" is stupid.

Should it be illegal and should the government step in and arrest someone for making constant nonsensical polls on a gaming forum?

- Yes, it should absolutely be illegal.
- No, but yes.

But, it obviously should not be illegal to sell games however they want, as long as it's still legal not to buy it.

I mean you keep trying to derails these thread but they keep moving on without you, and not only that but most of the votes are yes so....

StormCell

That would be simply stupid, why force people to download it, save them at least some effort and save them bandwidth.

You don't own anything on the disc, the media sure but the contents aren't owned by you.
Besides, you have zero idea when dlc is produced so whining about "its on the disc I should own it" is stupid.

So, how do you feel about people who mod games and make rom hacks?

I mean, if it's on the disc and I cause it to become unlocked via some modding... how is it any different from so-called rom hacks??

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member

At this point you are shitting up the thread more than any poll you may disagree with. If you have nothing to add to the topic then leave the thread. If you continue to bait other members I will remove you from it permanently.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Consider how many polls the guy's making, how low-effort they are and how many people are pissed off with them. Hopefully either he calms down, he gains some self-awareness, or the mod team finds a way to manage him a bit.

Rayderism

All I'm going to say about this, and you can take it any way you want......it amazes me how willing some people are to be taken advantage of when it comes to the gaming industry.

Consider how many polls the guy's making, how low-effort they are and how many people are pissed off with them.

yes all the same 5 people. Usually ones that rarely vote in the thread. Oh no. People will move one and continue to vote why you guys just keep failing to derail the threads.

Moving on, it seems that many believe that on-disc DLC is definitely something that needs to be addressed.

All I'm going to say about this, and you can take it any way you want......it amazes me how willing some people are to be taken advantage of when it comes to the gaming industry.

I agree with this, it's not even just this specific subject but there are many things the industry does that people seem to hand waive, while in other industries people are more proactive.

pr0cs

So, how do you feel about people who mod games and make rom hacks?

I mean, if it's on the disc and I cause it to become unlocked via some modding... how is it any different from so-called rom hacks??
You are breaking the law and basically stealing. I don't follow emulation but if you circumvent dlc on disc locking to gain access then you stole it.

Forcing people to download content because they are childish enough to expect that they own everything on the media is stupid

Top Bottom