• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impossibly gorgeous "leaked" Famitsu images (WTF?!)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ARCADE GAME

In other news Bandai Namco announced they would use the Cell for arcade games. My guess? These three "games" are actually arcade games. They are like Dragon Lair or that car game on Sega CD (it was like watching an anime except you had to press the correct buttons at the right time to continue). Except this time it is less linear, with multiple choices leading to different directions.

This would explain the following:

#1: All three games seem to make use of exactly the same engine and a similar gameplay and control system. It would be illogical for Bandai Namco to release three games that would eat at each other's sales, unless of course they are merely three different arcade games that you access to from the SAME CONSOLE.

#2: I don't quite believe that the numerous screenshots are simply concept art or target renders, Japanese companies work in a very different way than western ones (target renders are usually made by cinematic studios to illustrate to executives what kind of game they seek to deliver based on the executives' demands, and such cinematics can be costly and time consuming to make, plus I've never seen Japanese companies actually show such footage, it's even rare to be seen from western companies, since this footage is usually intended for internal use only).

#3: If #2 is true, it explains the graphical quality that surpasses MGS4 as far as detailed backgrounds are concerned (controlled environment and camera enables them to really polish the environment and add a lot more detail all over the place). This also explains how every animations shown seem scripted (it's an on-rail-like experience so they can have unique animations for all events, it's impossible to just bump into someone that is not meant to be bumped into for example).

#4 The almost simultaneous announcement of Bandai Namco's use of the cell for the arcade platform the joint venture with Sony obviously go hand in hand, it's logical that we would see the first screenshots of such a venture soon (a venture that must have been in development for much longer than we all know).

So I say, arcade game.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
, it's logical that we would see the first screenshots of such a venture soon

in that case, i'd expect to see the screen shots in Arcadia - not Famitsu.

i'm still amused by this constant linking of this to Cellius and Kutaragi...

(although it think this is an April fool still, so...)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It came from who knows where but they are from Famtisu. They are definitly legit, it is exactly the same visual style and quality as Ace Combat 6's previous scans.

I think Famtisu released these on purpose to generate hype to sell more magazines.

Flek said:
Thats what ps3 games can look in 3-4 Years - I BELIVE! :D

*now that it's been pretty much confirmed to be a prank, I can say this without fear*

I actually wasn't that impressed when I thought these were still real. Yeah, they look really ****ing good, but after Gears of War, this quality of graphics is what I kind of expected for a top tier 1st/2nd gen PS3 and 360 game.

Really, what's going on in these screens that's so amazing compared to Gears of War? They seem to be about equal to me.

even if they are arcade games.. its very possible they can be on the ps3 as well.. look at tekken 6 and the recent Time Crisis rumor for the ps3.......

Virgin Wii said:
Really, what's going on in these screens that's so amazing compared to Gears of War? They seem to be about equal to me.

laughdx3.gif

Busty

Banned
Wolves Evolve said:

:lol - I love that.

The thing that bothers me about these shots is that if anyone was going to pull off something like this I expected it to be some team/studio like Square Enix or Sony Japan.

Someone well funded with lots of tech expertise. Not the NAMCO studio that makes the Ace Combat games (no disrespect ,AC6 looks great.

As much as I would love to sit down and play a game with graphics in real time similar to Brave Arms, I have a feeling that all this hoopla surrounding these pictures is going to lead to heartbreak.

If these are (for the moment hopefully) representing the pinnacle of next gen graphics and all they really are, are glorified Space Age-esque QTE games, they can keep them.

But I agree that I'm not sure where the PS3, 360 and CELLIUS fit into all this.

Hagi23

Hagi23 said:
Apparently these might be arcade titles using the PS3 arcade board whatever thats called so you can figure out the rest like what platform its on etc. on your own.:lol
QFT

Busty

Banned
Router said:
So they are arcade games using the PS3 arcade board then?

Perhaps. But the real question is it......

A) Real time, and if it is, how closely does the arcade board follow the PS3's specs? Because for all we know these arcade boards could have CELL and RSX but like 2 gig of RAM.

B) QTE. If they are, no one cares. But it makes me think, I wonder if CELLIUS was set up to specifically create QTE games like Space Age for the PS3 and the PS3 based arcade board. They likely did that to stop Sony Japan getting stinked up with all this QTE nonsense.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's not whether or not the PS3 can push such graphics. It can.

It's just a question of how much is pre-scripted (almost everything) and how much control you have over the camera (very little). So with very little AI calculations and only the active visuals to calculate, almost no physics (at least nothing major, they would be scripted as well in most cases anyway), I see no reason why the PS3 couldn't display such graphics.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that such a good looking game would be possible if the player could run around everywhere, bump into anything/anyone, etc. Sadly, next-gen won't be that good for "normal" games even at the end of the PS3/360's life time.

I know it's sad, it's also what I was waiting for. Sadly "next-gen" will remain mostly old-gen in HD, for the most part.

hyonoid

M a r c h 2 7 , 2 0 0 7

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0703/game070327b.shtml

Sony announced Brave Arms for PlayStation 3, a new third person action game developed by Cellius, a new development studio jointly funed by Sony and Bandai Namco. The game will have Ninja Gaiden style gameplay, Splinter Cell style environment and close quarter combats. The story takes place in the year 2025, you play as an agent who takes on an oppressive regime in revolt, you will equip with the Bionics Armed Suit, which enhances your combat capabilities by multiple times.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0703/game070327c.shtml
Sony announced Chain Limit for PlayStation 3, a new James Bond style spy action, survival adventure game, you will be partnered with a spy girl and you will face a lot of dangers, you must be determined and make use of items surrounding you to survive.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0703/game070327d.shtml
The third game in Sony / Cellius' Project Aces trio is Second Season 01, a sci-fi, detective first person drama action game. The game will have first person shooting, detective and 3D chase actions.

MagicBox pranked ? :lol

Stronty

The pics remind me of Carrier by Jaleco. Carrier looked good in screenshots, but once you saw it in motion it didn't look that impressive.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Magic-Box is just some dude who posts on stuff he misreads.

Zenith

Banned
Phoenix Down said:
Sooo.... do we have any new news on these titles? whats the info say in the new PSM?

FEED ME!

they were nothing but concepts put together for focus groups. the games don't exist (yet).

It's titles like these thats gonna put Sony back on top.... Ole Kenny K is behind um too.. Best Believe

how many Internal Studios does Sony have?

ManaByte

Phoenix Down said:
It's titles like these thats gonna put Sony back on top.... Ole Kenny K is behind um too.. Best Believe

Can't you read? They aren't games. They were just concepts for a focus group.

StranGER

10 pages and no one can host these somewhere that they will actually show up?

they sound wonderfull i shut my eyes real tight and imagine! :)

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Phoenix Down said:

how many Internal Studios does Sony have?

the pics were from a presentation so nothing to exciting here.

Zenith

Banned
StranGER said:
10 pages and no one can host these somewhere that they will actually show up?

this thread took place 2 months ago. Are you mad, in a coma, or have you gone back in time?

Rorschach

BamYouHaveAids said:
You are true to your name. You have successfully raised this thread from the dead. Good Job!
After reading the first sentence, then scrolling up to his name, then looking at your name, I thought this was gonna be a down syndrome joke. :(

Phoenix Down said:
Sooo.... do we have any new news on these titles? whats the info say in the new PSM?

FEED ME!

Yes!! I have the "new news" and was waiting for someone to bump this dead topic as I didn't know how to make a new one!!!

Top Bottom