• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impressive Achievements in Sound on the DS?

Cdammen

New Super Mario Bros. had cool faux surround sound and some quite catchy compositions.

(EDIT)

edbrat said:
Meteos! Meteos! Meteos! (with headphones)
Yes! Forgot about that one. I love the ambient sound effects, the distorted audio, the echoes and the gut-wrenching "KZHKZHKZHKZHKZHKZH" sound when your screen fills with Meteos and you lose.

Rlan

Definitely Sonic Rush. I love the wacky style of the music. Even if the quality is lower than it could be, it's very catchy and pushes the restrictions of the DS sound chip to the fullest. Even now, I love listening to "Right there, Ride On", "Jeh Jeh Rocket", "What U Need" and "Raisin' me up" . Fit the speediness of the game to a Tee.

Metroid Prime Hunters may have had some low quality sound effects, but the music was great.

Also, despite only having a few short tracks, Bust a Move DS [US / UK version] had some really high quality music, and very catchy tunes.

R0nn

The general lack of Meteos in this thread is really disturbing to me.

It's so nice because the music is FULLY dynamic and reacts to everything you do in the game. It starts with a basic beat, and everytime you shoot meteos into the sky, a sample plays. The sample that's played changes depending on how many meteos you manage to shoot at the same time and with what velocity. Also, the overall quality of the samples is very good.

So yeah, easily one of the best aural experiences out there (though other Miziguchi games are comparable of course).

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Sometimes, alot of times, I wish game music never moved from Midi, where melody and compostion where more important than trying to emulate shitty social trends and licenses.

Pimpbaa

Mak said:
It seems like Nintendo has gone cheap on the sound quality in their systems since the SNES, after GBA, even the DS isn't clear as the SNES was.

That's because the SNES had a real sound chip made by sony, the n64, gba, and ds all rely on their cpus to do sound mixing and such. As a result, developers had a hard time deciding how much cpu time to devote to sound. I don't think the DS has it as bad though (since it has 2 CPUs). I believe both the Gamecube and Wii have a DSP for sound which is good.

Top Bottom