• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In All Seriousness...

who are your top 3 developers? why?

fanboyism aside. why do these developers change your life? why must you keep playing their games? why.... are you passionate about this industry?

demi

developers don't "change my life" :lol

i keep playing their games because their games are quality, dur

why am i passionate? buh buh buh it's a hobby

next thread "y do u like games???"

sly

Banned
demi said:
developers don't "change my life" :lol

i keep playing their games because their games are quality, dur

why am i passionate? buh buh buh it's a hobby

next thread "y do u like games???"

I agree. :lol

Raiden

Banned
Rareware: Goldeneye, Pd64, Banjo etc..
Nintendo:Ocarina of Time(best game ever)
3th: Dont know yet too many options

Am i going to get flamed now?

Harmonica

Squaresoft for having made Chrono Trigger, which, when I played it, very much did change my life. I was like 10 or 11 when I played it for the first time and it was like I fell in love. I drew pictures of it in school, went to certain parts of the game to listen to the music for fun (and recorded them with a little tape recorder so I could listen to it whenever). If I got depressed about silly things at school, coming home and playing Chrono Trigger in my room with a blanket around me was always comforting, long after I had beaten it. Sometimes even know I'll play through some (or all) of it just cuz, and it always makes me feel so damn good.

Nintendo for having made Legend of Zelda- A Link to the Past. Pretty similar to Chrono Trigger excpet I was 8ish when I played it, and my brain and personality was less developed. The "life changing" effect of it wasn't as intense as with Chrono Trigger, due to a more simple story and less engaging characters, but I explored that world over and over again, looking for secrets I hadn't yet found, and since I didn't have Gamefaqs or a strategy guide, it was all up to me to find all the secrets. It was a game that lasted a couple years before I had finally found everything.

Bungie for Halo. The Christmas I got an Xbox and Halo was the last real Christmas I had, as far as the kid version of that season goes. I was like, 16 or 17, and I really expected absolutely nothing, but I had mentioned to my dad that I thought Halo looked really cool. I honestly don't know why he decided to do it, but on Christmas morning I opened up an Xbox and Halo. My friends had all gotten Gamecubes, and they were strictly against PS2 and Xbox at the time (they now all own a PS2, and half of them Xbox's as well). Their game of choice was Rogue Squadron and Super Monkey Ball. They came over that night for my annual Christmas party, and brought all their new games. I was the only one with an Xbox or Halo... and over the course of the night, all my friends seemed to get more and more upset about having recieved a Gamecube, after seeing and playing Halo. The next day we went and bought extra controllers and played Halo for the rest of winter break, and within a couple months they all had Xbox's and Halo as well, and we started doing Halo themed LAN parties. Halo wasn't particularly life changing, but as I got older, that magical feeling I got from games as a kid wore off more and more, and Halo was the last true taste I've had of that.

One last one- Bethesda, for Morrowind. I played it for about 3 weeks straight, with no pauses in between. My aunt and uncle who I lived with at the time had an intervention with me about it. I felt detached from reality and I loved it.

1. SEGA. Sure, Namco, Nintendo and the rest were all there first. But Sega made me a gamer for life. I've always been an avid fan of arcade games, and Sega always made the greatest ones. Plus, the Sega Genesis was the first console that I ever had that could almost replicate arcade graphics faithfully. I could list games by Sega that influenced me, but we don't have all day. Revenge of Shinobi, Golden Axe, Zillion, Wonderboy, Nights, Virtua Fighter, Daytona, Streets of Rage, and of course Sonic are just a few examples.

2. Nintendo. Their NES(and SNES)ouput was simply outstanding. My favorite genre has always been platformers, and Nintendo set the table with Super Mario Bros. Other favorites include Mario 3 and Mario World, Metroid and Super Metroid, Punch-Out!! and Super Punch-Out!!, and the first 4 Zelda games.

3. Tough choice between Capcom and Konami. Capcom had the edge on arcade games, but Konami gave me Gradius, Contra, and Castlevania. I'll have to give the edge to Capcom because the Mega Man, Ghosts 'n Goblins, and Street Fighter franchises really molded the gamer that I am today.

Xrenity

Nintendo - their games with the Nintendo magic.
UBIsoft - made some great franchises, great games.
and eeeeh... Valve for HL?

Gamedude

Kojima Productions (as in: Snatcher, Metal Gear, ZOE2)
Rareware
the Square we know from the past generations.

in no specific order

DCX

DCX
- Nintendo: Any studio who can turn out hits like Mario, Zelda, Metriod ( The Mega Trifecta ) on EVERY gen console cycle they participate in has to be number 1.

- Sonic Team: The only studio that has ever competed with the Mario franchise, maybe have never surpassed them, but at times made it close.

- Bizarre: What they can do with hardware is up there with top teams like Team Ninja, Poly' , Kojima's team etc. They all seem to know how to get the most out of hardware and at the same time, not sacrificing the content.

DCX

Guzim

DCX said:
- Nintendo: Any studio who can turn out hits like Mario, Zelda, Metriod ( The Mega Trifecta ) on EVERY gen console cycle they participate in has to be number 1.
Metroid wasn't on N64.

Andy787

Banned
Actual answer (I'll go top 5, stfu):

Kojima Productions
Team Ico
Valve
Blizzard
Intelligent Systems

This is only really taking the current generation into consideration, mind you. If you were to answer the question taking into account the entire 20-30 year histories of some companies, it would be near impossible to make a list consisting of anything but Nintendo and Sega teams.

FiRez

I remember that a thread about the same topic was made around 1 or 2 months ago by the same OP.

edit: nvm it was at the inverse: "most overated developers"

1. Bungie: Halo 1 and both Myth I and II were both brilliant. Bungie knows how to use physics and AI to create visceral, challenging, tactical battles better than anyone else. Bungie games also create entire mythologies around their game worlds. They do an excellent job of presenting these worlds through their music, graphics, and a number of little effects that really make these games seem like real places rather than digital playgrounds. I was a little let down by Halo 2, but even that game was damn good.

2. Nintendo EAD: EAD hasn't been as good as some of Nintendo's other teams this generation, and I think that their Gamecube games have been far less impressive than their past work. Nonetheless, their older games are simply brilliant. EAD consistently made games of stunning quality in the past, and I still hold them in high regard. If their GCN games matched their older games, they would have easily been my favorite developer.

3. Capcom: Capcom's teams have changed a lot recently, so I'll just lump them all together. This company sure does make a lot really bad or mediocre games, but some of their games are simply amazing. They made VJ, DMC1 & 3, and RE4 all in one generation. Any company that makes that many incredible action games in one generation is godly.

Nintendo (I pretty much grew up with them)
Bungie (Between Pathways, Marathon, Myth and Halo)

and now the tricky one that doesn't come to me right away...

I don't think I have a third favorite... there are a ton I enjoy though!

Deku

Banned
Blizzard
EAD
Firaxis/ Maxis

ok I cheated, i put in 4.

This is based entirely on the kind of games I enjoy.

Sathsquatch said:
Mr. Lemming, were does that picture of Soulblighter come from, and what is Pathways?

The Soulblighter pic is from Bungie's site and here is a description of Pathways into Darkness from the Bungie History part of the site:

But by 1993, 2D wasn't enough for these guys. They needed at least one more D to fully realize their ambition. "What if we remade Minotaur, but set it inside a tube?" Jason Jones probably didn't say, but that is indeed what Pathways into Darkness was. Minotaur in a tube. Of course, the tube was texture-mapped, fully utilized the then-epic Mac RISC chipset and featured creepy, convincing active-panning stereo sound. It sounded like you were in a tube. And it looked better than anything else on the machine at that time.
Coded on a Mac IIFX, Jason worked alone on the code, while his friend Colin Brent designed the graphics. To put that in perspective, there are currently about 65 full time people working at Bungie and a ton of contractors to boot.
The plot, which they'd actually started to consider at that time, featured Mayan pyramids, a sleeping god and alien infestation – big concepts that would help define later efforts. They began to realize that telling a story was almost as important as collecting fruit and rescuing princesses.
These two fine-fettled fellows would hawk their wares, Cockney-style at every trade show and gathering they could find. Demonstrating how cool it looked was a lot easier than simply putting it out there, and people started to get it. Pathways started making inroads.
Awards, plaudits, trophies (including MacWorld's Game Hall of Fame, the MacUser 100, and Inside Mac Games' Adventure Game of the Year) and that greatest of all rewards – cash - started to trickle into Bungie central. The money started to change them almost immediately. Seropian started blowing funds on things like rent, a T-Shirt and witnesses remember he'd order supersized fries like it was just nothing. Jones, stoic and stalwart though he was, began to warp under the pressure of the filthy lucre. He too started buying T-Shirts, medium sodas and even tipped waitresses. Alex took to cruising around in his almost brand-new Dodge Neon. Rollin' through Chi-town in tha mad hooptie. It was time for a reality check.

lexy

Right now,

Am2 (Virtua Fighter)
Brownie Brown (Magical Vacation)
Garakuta Studio (Rakugaki Kingdom)

Honorable mention,

Atlus R&D (Shin Megami Tensei - <3 Kazuma Kaneko's designs)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
john tv said:
Level-5
EAD
Kojima

I'm prolly forgetting some, but those three are definitely in my top five, at least...

why do you like Level-5 so much? I mean, I understand them being good, but it's an unusual answer.

callous

Sega, Square, Namco.

The reasons why:

Arcade games, RPGs, arcade games.

Can I sneak Taito in here? Konami for MGS? No? ... :(

Top Bottom