• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In All Seriousness...

jarrod

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
why do you like Level-5 so much? I mean, I understand them being good, but it's an unusual answer.
DQ8 most likely. John's big on DraQue. :)

Mine these days would probably be...

01 IntSys
02 Treasure
03 Namco/EAD (tie)

Thanks for the info, Mr. Lemming. I really wish that I had gotten to play Bungie's MAC games. Did they make many other games for MAC before they came to PC?

slade

Capcom: If you look back at this generation, starting from the DC, there are few developers that have produced as many great games, Third Strike, MvC2, CvS2, Onimusha, DMC, Maximo, VJ, RE4. Can't wait till Okami gets here. They fell into a slump in 2002 but their directors and producers rallied and made some really great stuff in the latter end of 2003 into 2004 and finally the flood of great games in 2005. Now if only they could get off their asses and give me Street Fighter 4, all would be right with the world.

Sony Development Teams (Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Incog, etc etc.)
These guys really stepped up to the curb this generation. Out of the three hardware makers, Sony's own teams have produced the most variety. What's more, they wrestled away the platformer title that has always, by default, belonged to Nintendo.

1. Sega: They created the Genisis, one of my favorite video game systems. They have created so many good games: Golden axe, shinobi, outrun, Space Harrier, Thunderblade, Virtua fighters, Sonic, ect. They created the first RPG I ever played, Phantasy Star. They Gave me a reason to won the x-box. Unlike many here, I actually liked alot of Sega's games this generation.

2. Capcom: I love thier arcade games. Games like Ghouls n Ghosts, Final fight, and strider. Capcom intorduced the classic 2d fighter. I also really like the Resident Evil series.

3. Konami: for all the great nes, snes and Playstation games. Yo me Konami is one of the best developers.

If I had to list a 4rth company, it would be Namco. the 5th would be Nintendo.
I also like Treasure for thier Genesis, and Sega Saturn games.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It's hard for me to narrow down a "company" that I feel that strongly about...

Capcom is pretty strong for me both traditionally and with what they're releasing today. Their results are obviously uneven, but I often find them at least very interesting. In some ways, nonwithstanding some really unusual stuff like Killer 7, I feel like they keep refining what is the pure escapist, adolescent feeling of games. RE4 is like the penultimate expression of that sort of adventure. It's slick, fun and packed with content but it doesn't really move the genre of games forward so much as refine it. All the same they have a lot of designers with original vision too. Hmmm.

Rockstar is a definite favorite. Their humor, their scope of exploring an area even when it's filled with questionable content is pretty bracing. I think San Andreas is such an an amazing pastiche of area and gameplay that it's one of the most amazing games I've ever played. I can forgive it a lot of flaws for the sense of awe it gives me. I like some of their other series as well, but the recent Warriors game is incredible in the sense that it's a good game and it's an amazing tribute to unlikely source material. Basically, I'm always excited to hear and see about a Rockstar project.

There are almost too many quality companies to highlight a third. Nintendo would be easier if their console output had been better in past years, but they have an infantile fascination that puts the feeling of their games in a strange place to me. Sega has fallen away from a lot of what made them so unbelievable in years past. Plus those teams have been largely destroyed or re-formed. Konami, Namco, etc. there are a lot of Japanese developers that blow me away. And so many great developers who are traditionally PC oriented. Treasure seems to merge arcade action with console/handheld formats so well...when they on they're pure joy.

Also, I'd give major props to the growth of Sony's first party developers. I'm playing Shadow of Colossus right now and it would give them undue influence in my voting because it's filled with a sense of poignancy that seems really fresh to me. It's a sense that Capcom doesn't seem to really get, Nintendo is incapable of and Ico really only hinted at, imo. They just have a vast stable of really good gamemakers from traditional platformers, racing to shooters like SOCOM. Pretty impressive. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I think Jaffe and his teams are about to become even more important than they are now. Good things coming from that guy.

Zeenbor

1. Nintendo (EAD) - They are the innovators of the industry, easily. While they have been getting rusty lately, I do believe the Revolution will re-kindle some gamers appreciation of the company because they are willing to take risks to spur growth and change.

2. Kojima Productions - Kojima has the most competent team in the industry from an overall perspective. Sure, he might want to hire a (good) writer for his team -- But other than that, there is nothing but supreme quality coming from his team, time and time again.

3. Square-Enix - Currently a shadow of their former self (PSone days), I think with the next wave of games (2005-2007), they will show more quality in their games than the past 4 years. Of course, the real reason that they're on my list is because of their older games... I still think the former quality shines through to this day, though.

Honorable Mentions:

- SCE SoTC Team
- Polyphony Digital
- SCEA GoW Team
- Capcom RE4 Team
- Capcom Okami Team
- Konami Castlevania Team
- Namco Tekken Team
- Namco Soul Calibur Team
- Blizzard
- Valve

Right now? SquareEnix, Rockstar, Sega. Too bad you didn't ask this about 6 years ago, I would have said Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo. The Gamecube woke me up, and made me appreciate that maybe those Sega fans were right all along. Sega can make anything, any genre, and I became a huge fan after the Dreamcast. Nintendo has revealed their utter lack of range and reliance on low-rent gimmicks. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.

Top Bottom