• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-Game XMB! (No, it's still not here)

Jim said:
When/if some kind of "custom soundtrack" function become available, it will obviously have to be patched into earlier games for it to work as intended.
ok, THATS what I was wondering about. I'm sure most of the big games of the past will be updated when/if it happen. I always thought FolkLore should have a heavy metal soundtrack, and now it can.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Micromegas said:
I'll admit to being LTTP on getting a PS3, but after being on a 360 for a couple years and having about a week being on a PS3 why do people have such a hard-on for Sony to start copying or duplicating features of Live?

Live is its own thing - some good features, and some bad. Quite a few self-serving or useless too IMO.

Sony needs to blaze its own trail, do its own thing, and come-up its own solutions, not FFS copy Microsoft.

Do we really need Accomplishments? I mean, c'mon...

If I want a Microsoft Xbox Live-style experience, I'll plug my 360 back in.

Do your own thing Sony, you'll only fuck things up if you start copying Microsoft.

There is nothing wrong with copying. Microsoft is the fucking king of copying as well. Funny you should say Sony shouldn't do it.

Dartastic

Big-E said:
Good news but its bad that the FUUCK.gif is banned. Can anyone tell me why it was decided to ban it?

Probably because everyone was using it waaaaaaay too much? Anyway, bring on the in-game XMB. :D

WinFonda

Micromegas said:
Live is its own thing - some good features, and some bad. Quite a few self-serving or useless too IMO.

Sony needs to blaze its own trail, do its own thing, and come-up its own solutions, not FFS copy Microsoft.

Do your own thing Sony, you'll only fuck things up if you start copying Microsoft.

I believe they're already on record having said very plainly they do not intend to have all the features Xbox Live has. And on the flip side, they said that they were going to implement things that Xbox Live wouldn't have. So I think they're going to do what they feel needs to be done, but then differentiate where they feel necessary as well.

gluv65 said:
The site is blocked for me at work, could someone fill me in on the particulars by pasting the info here, please.

"We've finally received word that the long awaited, and much rumored, PlayStation 3 Firmware Update 2.40 is indeed the real deal and is said to be coming relatively soon. Many of the most requested features, such as a universal friends list and in-game messaging will be included, in addition to a few rather nice surprises (*cough*soundtracks*cough*). We definitely can't divulge all of the details, but trust us, it's coming.

We aren't yet 100% sure of the actual release date, but all signs point to sometime in June. We're guesing that Sony will probably detail 2.40 in the coming weeks. "

Pein

Banned
gluv65 said:
The site is blocked for me at work, could someone fill me in on the particulars by pasting the info here, please.
We've finally received word that the long awaited, and much rumored, PlayStation 3 Firmware Update 2.40 is indeed the real deal and is said to be coming relatively soon. Many of the most requested features, such as a universal friends list and in-game messaging will be included, in addition to a few rather nice surprises (*cough*soundtracks*cough*). We definitely can't divulge all of the details, but trust us, it's coming.

We aren't yet 100% sure of the actual release date, but all signs point to sometime in June. We're guesing that Sony will probably detail 2.40 in the coming weeks.

DongHungLong said:
"We've finally received word that the long awaited, and much rumored, PlayStation 3 Firmware Update 2.40 is indeed the real deal and is said to be coming relatively soon. Many of the most requested features, such as a universal friends list and in-game messaging will be included, in addition to a few rather nice surprises (*cough*soundtracks*cough*). We definitely can't divulge all of the details, but trust us, it's coming.

We aren't yet 100% sure of the actual release date, but all signs point to sometime in June. We're guesing that Sony will probably detail 2.40 in the coming weeks. "

TY Sir.

CamHostage

dallow_bg said:
Will it be "In-Movie XMB too?"

What I want to know is if there is in-game Web Browsing as in their original concept model interface. While I'm not expecting it (although it does seem somewhat possible, as the web browser is part of the general OS and they do in-game manuals sometimes in simple HTML), this would be an incredible feature. If you could have a game running and the FAQ or your playthrough blog for it just a Home button away, that'd be amazing.

The other thing I'm still holding out hope for is console sleep mode. I'm so sick of button-mashing through corporate logos, I just want to play!

tfur

tanod said:
Quick FYI: That patent IS real.

Only applies to "game consoles", not media devices or PC devices. Either the PS3 was filed under another term other than "game console", or money was exchanged for use, or Sony is just going for it?

Absurd patent by the way...

Firewire

Banned
Jim said:
When/if some kind of "custom soundtrack" function become available, it will obviously have to be patched into earlier games for it to work as intended.

I though this wasn't really possible because of the patent that MS has? Or are you talking about every developer paying out on their own to have it in the PS3 versions of games?

This music thing is starting to get confusing!

ThirdEye

Brandon F said:
It means Sony is now only 78 steps behind Xbox Live instead of 79!
Can you give us more details about the steps? What are left for Xbox fans to complain about PS3's online offerings?

Ranger X

Message to whinners out there:

Since we will have in-game messaging and custom soundtrack, on what missing feature will you continue your golden spoone bitch fest?

belvedere

Junior Butler
What about that Youtube video capturing/upload feature that was implemented in is Mainichi Issho?

How fucking amazing would that be in GTA IV.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Micromegas said:
I'll admit to being LTTP on getting a PS3, but after being on a 360 for a couple years and having about a week being on a PS3 why do people have such a hard-on for Sony to start copying or duplicating features of Live?

Because Live is the standard for console online gaming. You cant claim to have online gaming until you at least matched the standard IMO.

Dot50Cal

Banned
GIGATON!!!

zoolanderyq2.gif

acm2000

Micromegas said:

oh come on, theyre copying things that shouldve been there in the first place, essential stuff for an online gaming machine, you cant moan at them for that, in game invites & messaging? it was broken without them, im pretty sure youd be moaning even more if they werent bothering

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PhatSaqs said:
Because Live is the standard for console online gaming. You cant claim to have online gaming until you at least matched the standard IMO.

That's sort of an odd statement. I mean, clearly, there is 'online gaming' on PS3 right now, as is.

And I don't believe anyone has to match anyone else in every little thing...there are certain important functionalities (i would include in-game messaging among them), and certain unimportant functionalities. One system might match another in some ways, fall short in others, and exceed it in others. That mix of features could become the new high-water mark without necessarily matching EVERY feature of EVERY other service out there.

Loudninja

acm2000 said:
oh come on, theyre copying things that shouldve been there in the first place, essential stuff for an online gaming machine, you cant moan at them for that, in game invites & messaging? it was broken without them, im pretty sure youd be moaning even more if they werent bothering

No it was not broken.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ranger X said:
Message to whinners out there:

Since we will have in-game messaging and custom soundtrack, on what missing feature will you continue your golden spoone bitch fest?
Print screen feature of course.

Also, I want to be able to check what time it is by pressing the PS button.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I've little doubt video capturing/upload will remain an optional part of the SDK, for now at least. I'd love it to be universal, but it as a relatively recent addition to the SDK I doubt it's something they've squeezed into the core OS yet.

Raist

Banned
evilone said:
Yea its pretty awesome what they are doing with this firmware update. A lot of you will be happy with it for a while.

oh god stop teasing.

I guess we'll hear more from Sony soon anyway.

In the meantime let's torture evilone, js and jim.

Negaiido

Micromegas said:

Better a good copied feature then a bad new idea :p
And NO, I'm not implying that Sony is bad with ideas.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Seiken said:
Print screen feature of course.

Also, I want to be able to check what time it is by pressing the PS button.

Me too. Why is it a hassle to check the time on PS3?

patsu

evilone said:
Yea its pretty awesome what they are doing with this firmware update. A lot of you will be happy with it for a while.

Fine. Don't tell us about the features in XMB. Tell us who would NOT be happy.

kuYuri

Will they have faster music fast-forward speeds in FW 2.4?

Actually, now that I think about it, it will probably be a stealth update.

Top Bottom