• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In hindsight, did Nintendo make the right decision with ONLY Zelda at E3 2016?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I must admit, I was bummed and highly critical when they first announced "Just Zelda, no conferences", but it turned out to be amazing. So much so, I actively resented it when they cut away to show Pokemon Go watch. Far better than the underwhelming E3 the year before.

And in the end, Treehouse did show other games. Ever Oasis for example, came as a really nice surprise, considering we weren't expecting anything else.

zenspider

You say decision like they had a choice.

Zelda was all they had worth a damn. And the NX barely hobbled out in time for launch, you think they would have had anything close to presentable for E3 2016 purposes?

Is that still the narrative? They "hobbled out" with their best launch numbers ever - clearly they were ready.

I agree they had nothing else worth showing after the decision was made not to reveal Switch to the public.

I'd rather they had shown a ton of games that were in development and ready to release soon, rather than just one game. But since we live in the reality where Nintendo launched a console with an anemic lineup for the foreseeable future, we got what we got. It's not that they chose the best option; they picked the only option.

shiyrley

Banned
Yes. Considering the situation then I don't really see any better options.
In what universe did this happen? Check the Game of the Show awards from last year.
That's it. This is the peak. If this sarcasm fails to be understood by someone, then it's officially that it's impossible to be sarcastic in a way that no one will misunderstand. I

Sure. They had nothing else

I think OP is trying to say they could have revealed and pushed the switch at E3 just like any other hardware maker would've done less than a year from release.

It's easy to say now "they had nothing" in retrospect, given Nintendo chose not to reveal their next console, but throughout 2016 everyone here was confounded and frustrated as to why they weren't revealing any details about it.

Toxi

Banned
I personally thought it was terrible, but other people enjoyed it.

And as others have mentioned, they really didn't have anything else to show.

At least it was better than E3 2015.

phanphare

Banned
Only Nintendo can get away with bullshit like showing only one game.

I'm still in disbelief they pulled it off.

nah as someone said before only a game like BotW could have done it, it wasn't even a Nintendo thing

the Great Plateau was the only playable area for journalists and we had hours upon hours of footage to sift through with tons of unique stuff in each

literally any other game wouldn't have held up

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Only Nintendo can get away with bullshit like showing only one game.

I'm still in disbelief they pulled it off.

They actually showed off quite a few games, including Pokemon Sun & Moon, Yo-Kai Watch, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Mario Party Star Rush, Paper Mario: Color Splash, Ever Oasis, Rhythm Heaven Megamix, and a few others I'm forgetting.

Zelda was just the headliner.

Here's their E3 2016 Playlist

NewGame

Banned
The only correct answer is YES.

Any other answer is wrong. You're wrong. Never become a director or consultant because you will destroy the business you work for. Nintendo doubled down on Zelda only and walked away with the whole pot.

KaKaRi

For zelda botw, yes they made the right choice. It was a new approach in the zelda series, that grabbed everyone's attention. Also the news that its coming to the NX boosted the hype.

I doubt Mario Odd will be able to pull the same stunt. Yes it will boost sales of the Switch unit, but enough to reach their additional 10mil ambition? I doubt it if they dont show whats there after Mario Odd... hmm time will tell.

Sony presentation was the best for my taste and convinced me to invest in ps4 Pro and their games.

This is what its all about at e3... the future of the platform.

What other games would they have shown? I feel BoTW would over shadow any other title they could have shown (splatoon 2? MK8 "remaster"? Super Bomberman?).

FyreWulff

For what it turned out to be, a good call.

What's funny is it was pretty much the second time they did it.. also for a cross gen Zelda, with Twilight Princess, where their E3 booth was pretty much Zelda: The Ride Except You Have To Walk Yourself

DylanEno

Yes.

I genuinely wonder if we'll see another game like that again. It was such a one in a million type game and situation. Absolutely incredible that they were able to drum up so much hype to not just stabilize their entire e3 presence but keep everyone engaged every single day with a single game. That's god-like.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Given how popular the Switch is now, and BOTW certainly showing worthy of the hype, I'd say so. Considering they knew at the time they were switching platforms, didn't have much to show on the current one and and weren't ready for the new one, what else could they do?

Top Bottom