• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the first 24 hours after its release, The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe has sold over 100,000 copies on Steam

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I never understood the appeal of this one, it's more of a CYOA experience than a game to be honest (nothing wrong with that)

Also, what else have the developers worked on for the past decade? Never heard of them again.

Is their portfolio relevant to anything? They made Accounting+ together with Squanch Games, the studio from Rick & Morty co-creator.

The_hunter

I'm picking up switch sports this week, I will pick this up soon though. That's a console sale from me.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I never understood the appeal of this one, it's more of a CYOA experience than a game to be honest (nothing wrong with that)

It's actually one of the few titles that remembers that choice in videogames can work in terms of a story.

I'm sick of the games that get held up on a pedestal for writing within the industry that are essentially the exact same as any movie or TV show. They don't take advantage of the medium to tell the story. For example in writing due to benefit of the medium you can regularly talk about a characters thoughts or observations within there head, for an on screen adaption you lose the ability to use this effectively so you have to change how this is displayed, most games don't do this for writing, they just make a movie and put some shooting inbetween.

Games as a format are not restricted to this arbitrary method of story telling, games like Neir Automata show people how this is done, and really the whole point of the Stanly Parable is that its stupid to try and force the player to be restricted to this because games allow for so much more but no one tries to take advantage of it.

The best part is when it released it got beaten by The Last of Us for writing at the Baftas, which is a game that exemplifies the issues with writing techniques within the industry by just trying to make a movie. Something the developers took quite personally.

Last edited:
Charlie Sheen Applause GIF

Very unique game and probably the best "walking simulator" ever made.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Is this game really THAT good? Whenever people talk about it, it seems like the second coming of Jesus Christ; but when I check the Steam page, it seems like a walking-simulator and never called my attention enough. Also, it seems it's not recommended to watch anything in order to avoid spoling the experience, so I'm left with nothing but curiosity. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I might give this edition a try though.

rkofan87

Gold Member
Is this game really THAT good? Whenever people talk about it, it seems like the second coming of Jesus Christ; but when I check the Steam page, it seems like a walking-simulator and never called my attention enough. Also, it seems it's not recommended to watch anything in order to avoid spoling the experience, so I'm left with nothing but curiosity. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

its so good.

Impotaku

The fun comes from trying to break the story, the narrator goes one way and you can follow him & enjoy it via that route or you can deviate and watch what happens. Sometimes i have found tiny things i did that i wasn't expecting the game to notice been fully noticed and pointed out by the narrator. There are many ending and it's fun to try and figure out how to get to them all.

Holammer

I enjoyed the first game, but strangely I don't have any achievements or hours played on record? *X-Files theme plays*
... whatever, there's a 33% launch discount, let's do it.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Gonna play it some day at least. Just wish it was an update for the original game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
YRoIvtM_d.webp

I am still laughing at this... they really took this personally considering its essentially exactly what the game is primarily criticising in modern gaming.

rkofan87

Gold Member
YRoIvtM_d.webp

I am still laughing at this... they really took this personally considering its essentially exactly what the game is primarily criticising in modern gaming.
i missed this one lmao brilliant love this game so much my favorite gag is the broom closet.

I bought this when it popped up in psn outta nowhere. I've always been curious to try it and when in pretty much totally blind.
It's pretty good! Especially for a "walking sim."
I definitely enjoyed the darker parts more though, some of the scenarios were downright creepy and it was great.

Alandring

It's the funniest game I ever played.

Top Bottom