• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In this thread we shill for poor, downtrodden game corporations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xdrive05

I would like to get some feedback from you folks about the ethics of buying and selling used games compared to game piracy. I haven't purchased a new game since Mario Kart DD and I've bought something like 13 NEW games since then, for about 40% of their retail prices. And I'm talking about games that are only a couple weeks old, and getting them for about 22 dollars, in absolutely perfect condition, down to the manuals and everything. That's a heck of a deal, but is it morally right?

The primary argument against game piracy (or any kind of it for that matter) is that the artists and publishers don't get any compensation for their hard work. Isn't that also true for stores that specialize in used games and cds? They purchase and resell products that they had no part in creating or publishing, and they make a profit while those responsible for its existence get jack sh!t.

That's about 13 games I would have certainly purchased at full price had they not been available for much cheaper at Disk Replay for literally under half the normal cost. But just because you pay for it doesn't necessarily make it right. At the end of the day I don't see too much difference between doing this and piracy.

Agreed? Don't agree? Please let me know why.

Don't agree because the game has been purchased once and the owner has the right to resell. Pirated games have never been purchased once.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
GitarooMan said:
Don't agree because the game has been purchased once and the owner has the right to resell. Pirated games have never been purchased once.
Sometimes they are purchased by an original pirate.

I think there's validity to his point. Even though it's techically legal, I can see how it can feel morally wrong. Several people eventually play and complete the game, and devs only see money from one sale.

Xdrive05

GitarooMan said:

I agree about its legality, but if you strongly value the creators being compensated for their work, then is it morally wrong to deal in used games as opposed to buying them retail?

Ranger X

From a certain stand point there is indeed no difference. But we NEED a right to sell our stuff (or to give it) when we don't want it anymore. It's basic human behavior really.
It's all about you to know what you like/have to do and not do.

Completely different.

The kind of games that usually fill bargain bins (or pre-owned shelves) and the people responsible for them don't deserve the income of selling full price copies again. Usually anyway.

I believe the preowned market is vital for keeping people interested in a world of videogames flooded with overpriced shit.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Xdrive05 said:
I would like to get some feedback from you folks about the ethics of buying and selling used games compared to game piracy. I haven't purchased a new game since Mario Kart DD and I've bought something like 13 NEW games since then, for about 40% of their retail prices. And I'm talking about games that are only a couple weeks old, and getting them for about 22 dollars, in absolutely perfect condition, down to the manuals and everything. That's a heck of a deal, but is it morally right?

The primary argument against game piracy (or any kind of it for that matter) is that the artists and publishers don't get any compensation for their hard work. Isn't that also true for stores that specialize in used games and cds? They purchase and resell products that they had no part in creating or publishing, and they make a profit while those responsible for its existence get jack sh!t.

That's about 13 games I would have certainly purchased at full price had they not been available for much cheaper at Disk Replay for literally under half the normal cost. But just because you pay for it doesn't necessarily make it right. At the end of the day I don't see too much difference between doing this and piracy.

Agreed? Don't agree? Please let me know why.

I've already spoken out against used game sales before, but I also would like to emphasize that I really don't want to outlaw the practice or anything stupid like that. First sale is first sale. Them's the breaks.

Game designers and publishers could help fix this problem by making games that don't involve "Run through this awesome tunnel" or "Unlock all the cool shit and your'e done!" gameplay. Gamers can help by not returning game X to get credit towards game Y when game Y is just game X in a different wrapper. Turning in Super Mario Sunshine to help you pick up the expensive Guitar Hero is one thing, turning in Doom 3 so you can pick up a copy of Quake 4 is... stupid.

When you buy a used game you are reducing the supply of that used game, which increases the probability that somebody will give up and buy a new copy, generating new revenue for the publisher.

When you pirate a game no such effect occurs.

Marconelly said:
Sometimes they are purchased by an original pirate.

I think there's validity to his point.

I'm assuming you're buying a legal version of the game. I thought we were talking about buying a used game at EB or ebay or something, not some pirated copy.

radioheadrule83 said:
The kind of games that usually fill bargain bins (or pre-owned shelves) and the people responsible for them don't deserve the income of selling full price copies again. Usually anyway.

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom