• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In this video, we play every SuperGrafx game

kazuo

camineet said:
Probably the most powerful console released in the 1980s, except for sound. It was an amazingly cool looking system..

Well, if you want to nitpick, the SGX was supposed to drop in 1990--instead it was rushed to market in late 1989.

Besides, late 1989? May as well be considered as a console of the [extremely early] 90's.

With that in mind, I think this guy takes the cake:
2d8p1yp.jpg

:)

Despite that minor nitpick/quibble, I'm quite fond of the SGX, though I cannot justify the cost involved nor can I spare the space for one. Considering it has around 7 games total, only a few of which are SGX-specific, there's no point in owning one IMO unless you are getting it to be a completist--to own the entire collection.

Aldynes is pretty cool.

Good job Kohler!

camineet

Banned
kazuo said:
Well, if you want to nitpick, the SGX was supposed to drop in 1990--instead it was rushed to market in late 1989.

Besides, late 1989? May as well be considered as a console of the [extremely early] 90's.

With that in mind, I think this guy takes the cake:
2d8p1yp.jpg

:)

Well it's pretty clear cut really, SGX as it was (not as it was *supposed* to be a true 16-bit PCEngine2 in 1990) came out in late 1989, the Neo Geo came out in 1990 in Japan, and actually not until early 1991 in the U.S. So SGX cakes the crown of the most powerful console of the 80s :)

camineet said:
Well it's pretty clear cut really, SGX as it was (not as it was *supposed* to be a true 16-bit PCEngine2 in 1990) came out in late 1989, the Neo Geo came out in 1990 in Japan, and actually not until early 1991 in the U.S. So SGX cakes the crown of the most powerful console of the 80s :)

Yeah, that just doesn't make sense. No matter when it was "supposed" to come out, it actually came out in 1989, making it indisputably a console of the '80s, and yes, the most powerful system of the decade; its main competition there, the Genesis and the TG-16, don't match it.

If it had done better, maybe there even would have been some CD games that supported it, instead of just cards... though some things do nice things with it, the TG-16's cartridge music really isn't that great compared to the CD audio... or Genesis cart music, most of the time, much less SNES.

On the subject of Ghouls & Ghosts's music, though, I can see what the guy in the video is talking about... perhaps the Genesis version's music is more arcade-accurate, but I haven't really played the arcade version, and somehow the SuperGrafx version's music does seem a bit better, I think.

mr stroke

so what happened to this?

525.jpg

I never understood how NEC was able to bring out the PCFX if the supergrafx was such a bomb?

mr stroke said:

525.jpg

I never understood how NEC was able to bring out the PCFX if the supergrafx was such a bomb?

Because the base PC Engine and PCE CD continued to be successful until 1994-1995 in Japan, that's why... NEC just dropped the SuperGrafx and continued making PCE and PCECD (TG16 and TGCD) games.

The PC-FX came out in late 1994, around the same time as the Saturn and Playstation in Japan, and was supported until 1998, though only very thinly considering its failure. It had no real 3d capabilities, though, and NEC tried to change its focus from the shooter-heavy Turbografx... they focused on dating sims, visual novels, anime FMV-heavy RPGs and strategy games, etc, instead. Pretty much everything on the system has anime cutscenes, even the few action or platform games...

Given how successful the PCE and PCECD were in Japan (easily taking second place while Sega's Genesis/Megadrive was well behind in third there) it is interesting that both of NEC's attempts to make a followup to the system were pretty much total failures and NEC eventually gave up on the market.

For system and game info, this is the best site out there: http://pcenginefx.com/main/

camineet

Banned
mr stroke said:

525.jpg

Because the PCE was such a great success before and after SuperGrafx bombed. The SuperGrafx was only around about 2 years 1989-1991. The PCE CD was doing very after the death of SuperGrafx so NEC pushed forward with their 32-bit system.

A Black Falcon's post is right on target.

Top Bottom