• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman 2: too cinematic? When do we switch from how long a game IS to how much of the game we ACTUALLY play?

stickkidsam

ADHD gamers when every game doesn't cater to their ADHD

Angry Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX
If I can’t pay attention then NOBODY CAN!!

Embearded

I believe i agree to some extend, even though Metal Gear is my favorite franchise :D
They could say something like "7 hours of cutscenes, 17 hours of main mission gameplay, 5 hours of side missions"

In open world games like spiderman i believe developers should include an option for players to choose missions they might want to replay like Rockstar does.
Also include some kind of events in the world with replayable boss fights, maybe with some variations.
I don't know how much extra work that would be, but it surely provides more gameplay hours to the players.

IAmRei

To be honest, i don't like games who do cinematic more than actual gameplay. There are some exception, such as Yakuza and MGS. I'm more to gameplay person rather than cinematic. I'm also love if the story is quite vague such as darksouls, metroid, and in some levels, like BoTW. Which i wondering the world building by myself, only by looking the environment. analyzing my self with whatever happens in the environment before i stumbled there.

nkarafo

It's a mainstream, casual game. Even if it was a QTE only game it wouldn't matter than much because the standards are very low.

Most "core" games are only interested about the technology and graphics behind it.

Fredrik

It's a mainstream, casual game. Even if it was a QTE only game it wouldn't matter than much because the standards are very low.

Most "core" games are only interested about the technology and graphics behind it.
Guess I’m proud to be a mainstream casual gamer then. Enjoyed Miles Morales a ton, more so than hyped up games like Ragnarök, had it on my GOTY list the year it came to PS+. Will play Spider-Man 2 as soon as my Starfield addiction slow down, going by videos I already know I’ll like it. And graphics never sell a game for me. With Miles I loved the smooth traversal and the different ways to clear out enemies, could go in like a ninja and have a whole factory full of netted enemies hanging all over the place. Awesome 👌

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
For spider man, you're supposed to be a bad ass, a super hero...as long as 90 percent of the time you are enjoying sublime bliss of insomniac movement through the city and combat I can legit look passed the odd qte that I used to love in god of war anyway.

I thinkmits fine for this game tbh. Make it look flashy. Its not like it's some crazy deep cyberpunk/balders gate 3 game it's a fun flashy bubblegum, popcorn feel good blast though new York.

Last edited:

Yoboman

For spider man, you're supposed to be a bad ass, a super hero...as long as 90 percent of the time you are enjoying sublime bliss of insomniac movement through the city and combat I can legit look passed the odd qte that I used to love in god of war anyway.

I thinkmits fine for this game tbh. Make it look flashy. Its not like it's some crazy deep cyberpunk/balders gate 3 game it's a fun flashy bubblegum, popcorn feel good blast though new York.
How's QTE really any different than dice rolling your way through dozens of hours of dialogue and actions

Fabieter

Why would you, you get value from cinematics too but even than if the "gameplay" is streched like shit I would rather play a shorter game wither way

mrmustard

Banned
In the meantime people should know what they get when they buy a Sony cinematic or a Kojima game. So don't complain.

Red5

How's QTE really any different than dice rolling your way through dozens of hours of dialogue and actions

Dice rolls are heavily influenced by the stats the player chooses to invest in the attributes they want as they fit with their roleplay character. QTE's are scripted cinematic events.

Dice rolls always change depending on the combination of stats and luck, it's awesome especially if you're playing an RPG in Ironman mode. QTE's are always the same.

GymWolf

Not really a problem in an open world game where you decide the ratio of cinematic story missions and pure gameplay around the map.

You can literally traverse and fight for 50 hours without a single cinematic if you really want that.

This is the beauty of open world games, not being forced into a fixed rythm like linear games.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

The whole vibe and presentation, but its completely different. You are planning out every single action, every decision is a choice you are making good or bad, effective or less effective and the dice roll decides its success. QTE's are cinematic experiences where basically a movie is playing and you are pressing an input in time with the request. It looks bombastic and serves games like spider man and god of war well and that is fine.

Yoboman

The whole vibe and presentation, but its completely different. You are planning out every single action, every decision is a choice you are making good or bad, effective or less effective and the dice roll decides its success. QTE's are cinematic experiences where basically a movie is playing and you are pressing an input in time with the request. It looks bombastic and serves games like spider man and god of war well and that is fine.
Not always. Plenty of QTE games like Detroit which are choice based

StueyDuck

Spiderman 2 is day one for me. Playing devil's Advocate here for discussion (obviously it too soon to judge) I'm sure it gonna be amazing.

we tend to gauge a games based on how long is it....sorta like....a film. However, these are video games.

Should we instead based it on how much time is met actually playing?

I speaking specifically story mode in video games

From start to finish, how much of the story is interactive vs how much of it is cinematic?

And does that ratio matter to you?

50/50 80/20?
Cinematics and story doesn't matter so long as it's good and entertaining.

I'd take a 10 min well written and acted scene over a zoom in on a static robot face who just blurts out exposition for 50 minutes straight to pad out game time

Also cinematics can be done very wrong, even if the production values are through the roof, currently replaying the halo infinite campaign with a mate cause we felt like zipping around spiderman style and boy does a grumbly gorilla man or actual robot lady shouting at the camera get boring quick. At least the action setpieces (how little there are) are pretty cool

Last edited:
Top Bottom