• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inception was released exactly 5 years ago today (RTTP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
amazing soundtrack and cast. not so great execution though but i'd say it is a 7/10 movie, and i really applaud nolan for getting the cast and the budget and not making a comic book movie/fantasy adaptation.

wish more directors out there got these kinds of budgets and casts together for original blockbusters.

still even if it is one of nolan's more ehh films the vault scene (followed by the kicks) was the best thing nolan ever shot. the editing was tricky to get that all to make sense and it was just an amazing scene (especially with the music and cillian murphy's performance).

then he topped it with interstellar's video messages scene.

Was Inception the first movie that used the Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm sound? Hans Zimmer took that old French song and basically created something that every single freaking movie trailer uses now a days.

No. There's a whole history of the "Bwwaaaannngggggg" , and according to Mike Zarin (the guy who actually created it) it first showed up in Transformers (2007)

Also, both that sound, and Zack Hemsey's Mind Heist, are probably going to have a longer, more lasting impact on pop culture than the movie will. Which kinda sucks, as it's a pretty good film that got dwarfed by the "Inception Horn" meme and endless debates over the ending.

I thought inception was really, really cool. One of the last movies I've seen at the theatre. The story was contrived, concepts were stupid, but what a cool movie. I really like it

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Ellen Page was so forgettable, typical Nolan female character.
Speaking of Nolan women...
If there's one significant complaint I've had with Nolan - which grew from being a minor nitpick I may add - it's his dead wife syndrome.

It's like he absolutely needs a female SO to die in any of his films no matter what, whether onscreen or off. Not even a legitimate complaint that detracts from the movie experiece...it's just so odd.

MMarston

still even if it is one of nolan's more ehh films the vault scene (followed by the kicks) was the best thing nolan ever shot. the editing was tricky to get that all to make sense and it was just an amazing scene (especially with the music and cillian murphy's performance).

I got pretty choked up the first time that scene and music started playing out. Later on though, looking at that scene made me troubled instead because
it's not real. It's all a damn lie to incept Cillian and nothing else. His father in all likelihood stayed disappointed with him.

I got pretty choked up the first time that scene and music started playing out. Later on though, looking at that scene made me troubled instead because
it's not real. It's all a damn lie to incept Cillian and nothing else. His father in all likelihood stayed disappointed with him.

yeah you realize how dickish these people are lol. they manipulated him by using his memory of his father against him. it's like a big emotional/psychological con movie.

When I went to see Inception I knew there was a lot of hype surrounding it but I hadn't really read the hype or even much of anything about the movie. All I really knew about it was a vague description that made it sound like Leonardo DiCaprio would be the antagonist. I think if I had read more of the hype I would have walked away disappointed, but as it was I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not on my list of favorites, but I felt like I got my money's worth. People's opinions vary, but for me the dream sequences really rang true, at least in the first half of the film.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I still remember my entire theater audience groaning at the ending with the fucking spinner. One guy said out loud "You gotta be fucking kidding me!" Whole theater burst out laughing.

Rest of the film was good.

MMarston

Seriously. What movies we have coming out this summer nearly as ambitious as this? I'll take exposition Nolan over any of these assembly line summer blockbusters.

Mad Max: Fury Road, despite being a reboot, feels like one of the most refreshing splashes of summer blockbusters I've seen in years so it's close enough.

Still, I really wish we had more of what I just mentioned without having to tie it to any already known name or popular blockbuster trope.

JB1981

Mad Max: Fury Road, despite being a reboot, feels like one of the most refreshing splashes of summer blockbusters I've seen in years so it's close enough.

Still, I really wish we had more of what I just mentioned without having to tie it to any already known name or popular blockbuster trope.

Mad Max was a good action movie. I know a lot of people have a massive hard-on for it, and I respect it for being uncompromising in its vision, but I didn't love it like many others.

inm8num2

UrgtX64.jpg

p2535748

That doesn't matter. The catharsis Murphy's character feels is real. It doesn't matter if his father hated him all his life, it matters that Murphy comes out of the dream reconciled with the memory of his father. That's also why the spinning top at the end doesn't matter. DiCaprio had decided to go be with his children, he's stopped worrying about whether it's real or not, and the film is saying that in the end it doesn't really matter. If he believes that he's going to be with his children, that's what matters.

Saw it in a theater. Thought it was fucking awesome. Played it while I set up my college dorm room.

Ellen Paige got shafted having such a weak role. But it ain't holding me back from thinking the movie is really enjoyable.

Movie blew my little 15 year old mind, saw 3 times on theaters, bought the Blu Ray Day 1 and I'm pretty sure that have seen the film at least 2 times a year.
Most memorable scene for me:
inception-rotating-hallway-o.gif

I was so shocked to find out this was all practical O_O

I still adore this film. Certain aspects aren't too grand but overall, I loved it.

I cant believe its been 5 years already tho. Holy shit.

OmniGamer

This movie is linked to me in a very personal way...

First movie date with my then-new partner(still together 5 years later)

Then later than year, my partner moved to a new apartment and my late Mom and I went for dinner that he prepared, and it was one of two blu-ray movies we saw during the dinner(Mom liked it)

Funny, here in Puerto Rico I casually noticed a commercial on Wapa TV for Inception tonight, so I guess that's why

My only memory of it, and what aggravated me so much, was how fast the editing was and how somebody had something to say about what was going on at all times. It felt like Nolan was afraid to let go and trust his audience to follow the story without his chara ters spelling it out for us.

I agree, but if you've seen criticisms of Nolan films some people STILL don't get what's going on, despite entire scenes devoted to exposition.

Hell, in Interstellar there are two scenes where a characters draws giant pictures on paper or a whiteboard to illustrate a point or a concept, and people are still like "I dun get it"

inm8num2

The amazing thing about this movie is that they straight up tell you what's going down during the preparation montages. You know how Cobb's team is going to stage everything in the dreams. You know they're going to use Fischer's broken relationship with his father to plant the idea of splitting up the company. There are some wild cards and surprises (Mal, Saito being shot, etc.) along the way, but we the audience haven't really been kept in the dark about any aspects of the plan (like some other heist movies). While the dreams are very well constructed and feel quite real, we know they're not. I don't mean this as a negative at all - it's a testament to just how entertaining and inventive the movie is.

That vault scene is so powerful and memorable for many reasons, but most importantly because of Zimmer's score and Cillian Murphy's facial expressions. That mix of catharsis, joy, relief, regret, and myriad other emotions comes across perfectly. He fucking nails it, as does the late Pete Postlethwaite. "No...no...I was disappointed...that you tried..." It's an enormously satisfying payoff for everything we've watched, and the execution couldn't be better.

That's fucking cinema.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Movie is terribly overrated for a variety of reasons that have been laid out by numerous posters in numerous threads.

I think Page's character is terrible. Her role is a joke.

MMarston

That vault scene is so powerful and memorable for many reasons, but most importantly because of Zimmer's score and Cillian Murphy's facial expressions. That mix of catharsis, joy, relief, regret, and myriad other emotions comes across perfectly. He fucking nails it, as does the late Pete Postlethwaite. "No...no...I was disappointed...that you tried..." It's an enormously satisfying payoff for everything we've watched, and the execution couldn't be better.

That's fucking cinema.

Now I just have to plug-in the scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8B370KNp1o

BTM

One of my favorite theater experiences of all time. It's probably the film I've seen the most times in a theater. Fantastic movie

The first dream sequence
Explaining the dream
Van coming down slow sequence
"I am disappointed that you tried"
Van hits the water
Spinning top

My favorite parts

My theater lost its shit at the ending

Nolan became my favorite director the moment I saw the van falling sequence, never seen a director invent a sequence so simple and so brilliant which works. He repeated that genius again in the interstellar docking sequence

Blader

Love this film. Loved it then, love it now. Far from flawless, but it's probably my favorite movie of the half-decade.

The sense of tension in the theater during the van tumbling/rotating hallway sequence and the kick was unbelievable. I've never felt the sensation of 100+ people shifting to the edge of their seat like that before. :lol

It was so difficult staying spoiler-free. The Lakers were in the NBA Finals and every commercial break had it. GAF even had animated gifs and the
shrinking alley
was someones av. I hadn't watched anything past the first trailer or teaser, so I didn't know the context or why
Leo was humping a wall
, and wanted to keep it that way. So seeing that animated av all the time was odd. Miss those tbh...

I loved it in theaters, loved it again when I got the Blu-ray. With each subsequent viewing it made more and more sense. Such an elegant way of getting us to that
cathartic
moment at the end. Lovely film from top to bottom.

MMarston

Twas an entertaining film.

Half a decade ago though? Jeez, where does the time go?

You're still dreaming.
ellen-page-gif-inception-leonardo-dicaprio-Favim.com-2108991.gif

It was so difficult staying spoiler-free. The Lakers were in the NBA Finals and every commercial break had it. GAF even had animated gifs and the
shrinking alley
was someones av. I hadn't watched anything past the first trailer or teaser, so I didn't know the context or why
Leo was humping a wall
, and wanted to keep it that way. So seeing that animated av all the time was odd. Miss those tbh...
I'm personally glad that the only things that ever hyped me were the two trailers and some posters.

Can't remember the last time I went in almost that blank. Totally paid off.

Jacob

I saw it three times the summer it came out with different groups of people, once in LieMAX. I absolutely adored the film. That fall when I went back to college I started to get more seriously into cinema for the first time and met and talked with a bunch of Inception/Nolan critics for the first time. I don't watch as many movies now but I'm still reluctant to rewatch Inception because I'm afraid I won't like and it'll ruin my memories of following it, watching it, thinking about it. But every time I listen to the soundtrack or think about certain scenes (such as the aforementioned vault scene) I get some of that same feeling. This thread is making me feel more confident in rewatching it.

jb1234

Was Inception the first movie that used the Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm sound? Hans Zimmer took that old French song and basically created something that every single freaking movie trailer uses now a days.

Movie soundtrack reviewers call it the Horn of Doom (tm). It's not just in trailers but in a shitload of Zimmer-influenced film scores too. It's relentlessly obnoxious, just like Inception's score.

MMarston

Movie soundtrack reviewers call it the Horn of Doom (tm). It's not just in trailers but in a shitload of Zimmer-influenced film scores too. It's relentlessly obnoxious, just like Inception's score.

I feel like I heard it first in Bayformers though. I can't specifically identify which track but it showed up a lot of times.

Still, despite the fact that I love the soundtrack, I do feel the Inception soundtrack (especially during the marketing) kinda really did proliferate this bad habit in "epic" music.

jb1234

I feel like I heard it first in Bayformers though. I can't specifically identify which track but it showed up a lot of times.

Still, despite the fact that I love the soundtrack, I do feel the Inception soundtrack (especially during the marketing) kinda really did proliferate this bad habit in "epic" music.

Everyone and their mother wants that sound now. Don't get me wrong, I think there's a place for it (and I'd rather have Zimmer doing it than any of his soundalikes) but there was a time when blockbuster films had big themes and a more defined orchestral palette. Now, it's just chugging strings, farting brass, lots of electronics and the horn of doom. I miss woodwinds. :(

MMarston

Everyone and their mother wants that sound now. Don't get me wrong, I think there's a place for it (and I'd rather have Zimmer doing it than any of his soundalikes) but there was a time when blockbuster films had big themes and a more defined orchestral palette. Now, it's just chugging strings, farting brass, lots of electronics and the horn of doom. I miss woodwinds. :(
I can't remember when and where he said it, but even Zimmer expressed how fed up he is of his style being imitated, especially that one in particular. I think he was commenting on one of motivations for having a drastically different sound for Interstellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom