• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Income Inequality in the US – is it exaggerated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgmo870

Banned
So a couple of days ago, I was in a heated argument about the view on income inequality. I made the argument that I didn’t think income inequality was as bad as most made it out to be (a generalized argument, I know) because the income for the “poor” increased at a faster rate than the “wealthy’s”. Basically I was trying to get at that the income inequality data that’s frequently cited doesn’t give the full picture. So I did some more digging, first looking for the stats I was initially talking about and figured this would make for an interesting discussion.

And turns out those stats were from a paper by the US Treasury, published in ’07.

That paper examines the income mobility of households in the US. Income mobility is the percentage of households in a quintile that have moved into another income quintile (so they’re looking at income increases and decreases of households).

A household as defined by the US Census Bureau includes all the persons who occupy a housing unit as their usual place of residence. A housing unit is a house, an apartment, a mobile home, a group of rooms, or a single room that is occupied (or if vacant, is intended for occupancy) as separate living quarters.

A quintile is any of five equal groups into which a population can be divided according to the distribution of values of a particular variable. The variable here is income so these quintiles are given by ranges of incomes.

The household is really important and I’ll come back to that later.

But here are some choice quotes from the Treasury paper first:

To get a broader perspective on these trends, one must look at the opportunity for upward mobility in the United States, which has sometimes been seen as a defining characteristic of the nation’s economy. Comparisons of snapshots of the income distribution at points in time miss this important dimension and can sometimes be misleading. Research shows that the distribution of lifetime incomes is more equal than a one-time snapshot implies because a household’s relative position in the income distribution often changes over time.

Previous research on income mobility over the past several decades has generally found that about half of those in the bottom quintile move to a higher quintile and also that more than half of households move to a different income quintile within about 10 years.

Median incomes of taxpayers in the sample increased by 24 percent after adjusting for inflation. The real incomes of two-thirds of all taxpayers increased over this period. Further, the median incomes of those initially in the lowest income groups increased more in percentage terms than the median incomes of those in the higher income groups. The median inflation-adjusted incomes of the taxpayers who were in the very highest income groups in 1996 declined by 2005.

The composition of the very top income groups changes dramatically over time. Less than half (40 percent or 43 percent depending on the measure) of those in the top 1 percent in 1996 were still in the top 1 percent in 2005. Only about 25 percent of the individuals in the top 1/100th percent in 1996 remained in the top 1/100th percent in 2005. […] This statistic illustrates that the top income groups as measured by a single year of income (i.e., cross-sectional analysis) often include a large share of individuals or households whose income is only temporarily high.

Relative income mobility shows how the income of households changes over time relative to the incomes of other households, while absolute income mobility measures show how the real incomes of households change over time. The degree of relative income mobility among income groups over the 1996 to 2005 period is very similar to that over the prior decade (1987 to 1996). To the extent that increasing income inequality widened income gaps, this was offset by increased absolute income mobility so that relative income mobility has neither increased nor decreased over the past 20 years.

Percentage increases in real income were the largest for taxpayers with the lowest incomes in 1996. Among those taxpayers in the lowest income quintile in 1996, median income increased by 90 percent by 2005. Real incomes increased over the period for 82 percent (81.7 = 8.6 + 8.7 + 15.0 +49.4) of these low-income taxpayers and at least doubled for nearly half of this group (49.4 percent).

Among taxpayers in the highest income quintile in 1996, real income increased for over half (54.7 percent = 19.5 +14.0 +12.7+8.5) and doubled for only 8.5 percent. The median real income of taxpayers in the top quintile in 1996 rose by 10 percent, while the median income of those in the top 1 percent in 1996 declined by 25.8 percent. While this study does not examine these results in detail, the likely causes include the typical life cycle of income and “mean reversion” in which the incomes of taxpayers whose incomes were temporarily high in 1996 revert to a level closer to their long-run average.

Some people might be a little confused, then, how it’s possible for the wealth distribution to increasingly favor the upper quintiles. The answer is because of income mobility – over a period of time (say, 10 years), those in one quintile will probably move into another. And that makes sense because your incomes aren't static, especially for those in high skilled jobs.

Okay but there’s still an income inequality issue, it's just not as clear as before because the poor and rich are very mobile and the poor's income increases at a faster rate. Despite there being differences in the approach to defining and viewing income inequality, I think it’s best to look at the source of the data: the US Census Bureau.

They wrote a report looking at the income distributions between 1947-1998, using those distributions (but varying how they are measured), to analyze if and why there is increasing inequality. They conclude, of course, that there is from 1980 on-wards (before that, because of the type of measurement, there were ambiguous results). Here are their reasons why:

More highly-skilled, trained, and educated workers at the top are experiencing real wage gains, while those at the bottom are experiencing real wage losses making the wage distribution considerably more unequal. Changes in the labor market in the 1980s included a shift from goods-producing
industries (that had disproportionately provided high-wage opportunities for low-skilled workers) to technical service industries (that disproportionately employ college graduates) and low-wage industries, such as retail trade.

But within-industry shifts in labor demand away from less-educated workers are, perhaps, a more important explanation of eroding wages than the shift out of manufacturing. Other factors related to the downward trend in wages of less-educated workers include intensifying global competition and immigration, the decline of the proportion of workers belonging to unions, the decline in the real value of the minimum wage, the increasing need for computer skills, and the increasing use of temporary workers.

Clear cut, logical explanations which likely explain most of what we see. But here’s a more interesting reason (although it probably doesn’t account for as much of the inequality differences as the others):

At the same time, changes in living arrangements have occurred that tend to exacerbate differences in household incomes. For example, increases in divorces and separations, increases in births out of wedlock, and the increasing age at first marriage may have all led to a shift away from traditionally higher income married-couple households and toward typically lower-income single-parent and nonfamily households. Also, the increasing tendency for men with higher-than-average earnings to marry women with higher-than-average earnings may have contributed to widening the gap between high-income and low income households.

So changes in the socio-culture do affect the economic data we get and analyze, partially explaining differences if not distorting reality.

But if education and skill play that much of a role then can income inequality be seen as economic growing pains? Maybe. There’s no empirical consensus whether income inequality has a positive, negative or no effect on growth and that has to do with econometrics that I don’t like getting into (e.g. endogeneity, measurement bias, different models to account for omitted variable bias like fixed effects, etc.).

Theoretically, I think it depends on the situation. Say that there are two countries producing two goods with fixed labor supplies, each having a comparative advantage in one of the goods. If they trade with each other, in theory, the lower supply of the good that’s being imported in one country will result in lower employment and lower wages for that industry in that country. But there will be higher employment and wages for the industry that’s producing the good that’s exported. That could cause an increase in inequality but, overall, that’s good for their economy. Those in the lower waged industry could be retrained, given more education, etc. to move into the other industry. They might make lower wages than before but at least they won’t be unemployed.

Then you have situations where the nation is politically corrupt and that’s why there’s income inequality (to a point, I think political corruption can explain some income inequality in the US too). Obviously that isn't a sign of growth.

For the US, I think it’s mainly growing pains. We could ignore the issue entirely, though, and it’ll probably fix itself because people change their decisions based on their (perceived) situation, like how more and more people are attaining higher levels of education. But policies could be issued so that those who would struggle and suffer otherwise, won’t… as much. To do that, I’d focus on significantly cheaper and more accessible forms of education and job training with job growth in the sectors that are growing at fast rates in mid-tier cities first. Then work from there.

Still, I definitely think the way the media poses it as well as most people who discuss it, make it seem like a bigger issue than it is.

Anywho… what's your opinion on income inequality in the US? Do you think it will ever disappear entirely in our economy (it won't since we're capitalists - there will always be relative winners and losers)? If you disagree with the economists, what do you think are the causes? Or do you think income mobility doesn't give a better picture of our reality? And what types of policies do you think would help reduce inequality?

I should probably add I'd like to keep the discussion more-so on economics than politics. But I get they can't always be separated.

Somebody is going to change your thread title to color the discussion in such a way that the OP can't be taken seriously. Just a heads-up.

And then 2008 happened, from which the job market has not fully recovered while corporate profits and the stock market are at record highs.

gohepcat

Banned
You seem to be going to great lengths to talk about anything but the actual gap in wealth.

Economics is a fascinating and complex subject, but you are making it so opaque that it just sounds like you are trying to spin income inequality into something that's "not that bad"...and how the hell did you find data that conveniently stops at the year 2007?

It's not hard to understand. There are far too many people at the lower end of the spectrum and the gap between the top 1% and the rest of us is gigantic.

The gap between the lower class and what is left of the middle class is real and you can clearly see it. The gap between the middle class and the upper class is huge, the gap between the lower class and the 1%'s is disgusting.

FStop7

Banned
Oh it's totally exaggerated. I mean the facts speak for themselves:

rectorpoor.JPG

charsace

Yes, its bad. When the next crash happens (and I think it will be soon) shit is really gonna hit the fan. There won't be peaceful protest for the second crash. People are gonna die.

jgmo870

Banned
You seem to be going to great lengths to talk about anything but the actual gap in wealth.

Economics is a fascinating and complex subject, but you are making it so opaque that it just sounds like you are trying to spin income inequality into something that's "not that bad"...and how the hell did you find data that conveniently stops at the year 2007?

It's not hard to understand. There are far too many people at the lower end of the spectrum and the gap between the top 1% and the rest of us is gigantic.

I gave reasons for the actual gap in income which, I think, are more important than the gap itself.

I don't have to make economics sound opaque - it is opaque. And that's why these reasons given are real analyzes of the economy and not just general observations.

Azih

You're measuring how much people move between quintiles, not the income gap. I don't think you've got any research to prove any kind of a solid link between the two.

DanteFox

It's relevance is completely overblown. Absolute wealth is what people should worry about, not relative wealth. Whether or not someone else has more money is none of your concern. If you're poor, you're poor. That's the problem.

jgmo870

Banned
You're measuring how much people move between quintiles, not the income gap. I don't think you've got any research to prove any kind of a solid link between the two.

There are two different studies in the OP: the first one is on income mobility with this quote that I posted but there isn't a reference - research shows that the distribution of lifetime incomes is more equal than a one-time snapshot implies because a household’s relative position in the income distribution often changes over time.

And the second one deals with the income gap at a point in time.

rokkerkory

So the poorest incomers can jump from $10 to $20 faster than highest incomers can jump from $100 to $200?

$20 / hr is still barely getting buy in some places.

Azih

There are two different studies in the OP: the first one is on income mobility with this quote that I posted but there isn't a reference - research shows that the distribution of lifetime incomes is more equal than a one-time snapshot implies because a household’s relative position in the income distribution often changes over time.

Well for one thing you'd have to go back and see what the 'lifetime income gap' between different economic classes was in prior decades as compared to now if you want to do a like for like comparison to see if income inequality has increased or decreased. Stating that the lifetime gap is different from the snapshot gap doesn't actually address income inequality increasing or decreasing in any way.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Did you go to the Fox News School of asking questions to make statements?

gohepcat

Banned

So you are saying that if you double your income from making 7 dollars an hour to 14 dollars an hour you are far better off than if you started at 10 dollars an hour and made it to 19?

Azih

And I'm really confused by your second article as well. It states categorically that yes Income inequality has increased from the 1980s onwards, and yet you're using that as somehow proof that it's exaggerated? What?

Edit: And I will repeat mobility from one quntile to another is a completely unrelated matter to income inequality. Like has been pointed out someone going from 10 bucks an hour to 11 bucks an hour is not somehow better of than someone going from 100 bucks an hour to 108 bucks an hour.

1996-2005? That's kind of irrelevant now. A lot of the middle class and lower class were hit hard by the collapse in 2008.

More to the point, yea it's going to be more difficult going from 200-400 an hour versus going from 10-20 an hour or 20-40 an hour.

jgmo870

Banned
Well for one thing you'd have to go back and see what the 'lifetime income gap' between different economic classes was in prior decades as compared to now if you want to do a like for like comparison to see if income inequality has increased or decreased. Stating that the lifetime gap is different from the snapshot gap doesn't actually address income inequality increasing or decreasing in any way.

My mistake, the Census Bureau looked at the income inequality from 1947 to 1998. But income mobility partially explains differences in income inequality because you're not looking at the exact same people in each quintile.

Did you go to the Fox News School of asking questions to make statements?

Nah, whenever I talk about econ, I just start asking questions to explain the point - it's what my econ professors would do. I don't care a lick for politics, though. Just because I disagree with one party's held beliefs doesn't mean I agree with another's.

PogiJones

Banned

I think what he's trying to say is that the implied barrier of an income gap is not as much of a barrier as one might think. While the income gap looks huge when looking solely at the numbers, the fact that people are somewhat freely moving across the very large gap indicates that it may not be such an issue.

I don't know if I agree with him, but I believe that's what he's saying, and at a cursory glance, it's a solid point (that could be undermined by further data or analysis, of course).

jgmo870

Banned
So you are saying that if you double your income from making 7 dollars an hour to 14 dollars an hour you are far better off than if you started at 10 dollars an hour and made it to 19?

No and neither are the authors. Income mobility is just a part of the full picture of real inequality.

And I'm really confused by your second article as well. It states categorically that yes Income inequality has increased from the 1980s onwards, and yet you're using that as somehow proof that it's exaggerated? What?

Edit: And I will repeat mobility from one quntile to another is a completely unrelated matter to income inequality. Like has been pointed out someone going from 10 bucks an hour to 11 bucks an hour is not somehow better of than someone going from 100 bucks an hour to 108 bucks an hour.

Proof as in the reasoning behind inequality such as differences in education, return to education, globalization influences, immigration and changes in the household. Things that are either changing (like education) or distorting the data itself like the changes in the household.

Azih

You can't draw conclusions about income inequality by studying income mobility unless you can point to some research that provides a strong correlation between the two. Until then you're only drawing conclusions about income mobility.

Edit: So the first article isn't studying income inequality at all, while the second article goes into why income inequality is increasing. What the heck do either have to do with the title of your OP about income inequality being exaggerated?

massoluk

Banned
What would the (negative) implication be for the 90% increase in low income families vs the decline of 25% in the 1%? Taxes can't explain that.

That by itself doesn't mean a whole lot...

If I make $1 per hour, get 90% increase, I'm making $1.9 per hour
If I make $100,000,000,000 per hour, get 25% increase, I'm making $125,000,000,000 per hour.
If cost of living increased by more than the nominal increase the poor are getting, the poor are still screwed. Income GAP still increased.

Edit: Ahh wait, you said decrease. Slap me silly. There's still a lot of factors to go there. Pretty sure, the rich hid many income under assets and what not.

Falch

I strongly disagree, but then again I'm currently reading Joseph Stiglitz The Price of Inequality. Inequality has never been greater in the US, and it's the single biggest problem the US faces.

I don't know if I agree with him, but I believe that's what he's saying, and at a cursory glance, it's a solid point (that could be undermined by further data or analysis, of course).

It's not really a solid point. If the wages of the bottom 50% are depressed, it becomes easier to move from the bottom 20% (1st quintile) to the bottom 40%(second quintile).

kick51

Banned
not even a little exaggerated. It's barely dealt with.

we don't even talk about it openly, it's not addressed in any meaningful way on the mainstream news, and so many are stuck in a "common sense and bootstraps" mindset. or worse, they think if they don't see it, it doesn't exist.

What would the (negative) implication be for the 90% increase in low income families vs the decline of 25% in the 1%? Taxes can't explain that.

Is this a talking point.

Might I suggest some reading about how taxes impact the nonrich vs subsidies, loopholes and hiding wealth from the IRS.

jgmo870

Banned
You can't draw conclusions about income inequality by studying income mobility unless you can point to some research that provides a strong correlation between the two. Until then you're only drawing conclusions about income mobility.

Edit: So the first article isn't studying income inequality at all, while the second article goes into why income inequality is increasing. What the heck do either have to do with the title of your OP about income inequality being exaggerated?

Maybe this will help: Economic historian Joseph Schumpeter compared the income distribution to a hotel where some rooms are luxurious, but others are small and shabby. Important aspects of fairness are that those in the small rooms have an opportunity to move to a better one, and that the luxurious rooms are not always occupied by the same people. The frequency with which people move between rooms is a crucial aspect of the trends in income inequality in the United States.

That frequency is income mobility.

genjiZERO

Er, maybe this conversation is beyond me, but if you're going to take a mobility outlook of income inequality shouldn't you also take gains in productivity and relative wealth over time into account?

It appears to me that incomes are unequal because most people have seen decreases in the trajectory of realized wealth and diminished returns for increased productivity.

East Lake

Maybe this will help: Economic historian Joseph Schumpeter compared the income distribution to a hotel where some rooms are luxurious, but others are small and shabby. Important aspects of fairness are that those in the small rooms have an opportunity to move to a better one, and that the luxurious rooms are not always occupied by the same people. The frequency with which people move between rooms is a crucial aspect of the trends in income inequality in the United States.

That frequency is income mobility.
You should be worrying about how many people are in shit hotel rooms, not how many might move out of it.

boingball

A quintile contains 20% of the households.

So if half of the households in the lowest quintile move to the one above, does that quintile now have suddenly only 10% of all households? Or did other households come down from an upper quintile?

Since a quintile is a constant percentage it is a little bit unfair to focus only on upwards mobility. For each household moving up there is one household moving down.

Also as others have pointed out it is nice to look at statistics at the end of a bubble, especially the housing bubble in 2007 which gave the appearance that every house owner was rich.

jgmo870

Banned
Is this a talking point.

Might I suggest some reading about how taxes impact the nonrich vs subsidies, loopholes and hiding wealth from the IRS.

I'm not sure how taxes and monetary transfers (which help the lower income families as well) could explain a difference that big. But the Treasury doesn't have much on it.

I'm not sure how taxes and monetary transfers (which help the lower income families as well) could explain a difference that big. But the Treasury doesn't have much on it.

You're not sure how punitive taxes are against the nonwealthy and yet want to posit there are exaggerations afoot?

Tarsul

should the income inequality of the US not be compared to income inequality of other countries to say if it is high or low?

jgmo870

Banned
lol, this. Talk about selective data!

The data doesn't stop at 2007. The data's from 1996-2005. The reason the Treasury looked at this is because it typically takes 10 years to see income mobility and the decade before hand was already covered (with similar results).

PogiJones

Banned
It's not really a solid point. If the wages of the bottom 50% are depressed, it becomes easier to move from the bottom 20% (1st quintile) to the bottom 40%(second quintile).

Sure, if that's what's happening; that's the sort of data I was suggesting could undermine the point. But without that data, the point is still solid. Solid doesn't mean impregnable.

The U.S. Treasury article he quoted says that the increased gap is offset by increased mobility. For example, there's been a huge increase in wages of 40-year-olds over that past 100 years, but almost no increase in wages for 5-year-olds. The gap between the two has widened. Yet, 5-year-olds have strong mobility to grow up and obtain those 40-year-old wages, so the gap is not an issue.

Again, I don't know if that's how our rich-poor gap is working right now, but increased mobility does, on its surface, appear to somewhat offset the issues with the wage gap. So for now, his point is solid.

The gap between the lower class and what is left of the middle class is real and you can clearly see it. The gap between the middle class and the upper class is huge, the gap between the lower class and the 1%'s is disgusting.

Lower Class
Industrial Workers
Artists
Low wage industry
College Students
Drop outs
New Graduates

Middle Class

Professional Workers
IT and Business Professionals
Break even small business owners

Upper Class

Doctors
Lawyers
Engineers
Successful small business owners
Small Investors
some lawmakers

The 1%
Some lawmakers
Big CEOs
Hedge Fund managers and investors
Wall Street execs
Successful Drop outs.

did I get that right?
The lawy

Yeah we're in great company in regard to income inequality...
640px-GINI_retouched_legend.gif

not the most accurate chart because United States also has the most number of millionaires and Billionaires compared to the rest of the world. you compare those number of millionaires and Billionairies with the rest of the United States and the gap will be exponentially widened

USA has 5.2 Million households which are Millionaires

the next is Japan with 1.2 Million households.

jgmo870

Banned
You're not sure how punitive taxes are against the nonwealthy and yet want to posit there are exaggerations afoot?

To the extent that there's an estimated doubling of the income for lower income households with an estimated decrease in about a quarter of the wealthy's income over a ten year period that changes where households are in the distribution of income.

ezrarh

It's relevance is completely overblown. Absolute wealth is what people should worry about, not relative wealth. Whether or not someone else has more money is none of your concern. If you're poor, you're poor. That's the problem.

It absolutely is a concern. When somebody else has 1000X more money than the average middle class person, their power over the government is magnified. Money is freedom of speech afterall.

To the extent that there's an estimated doubling of the income for lower income households with an estimated decrease in about a quarter of the wealthy's income over a ten year period that changes where households are in the distribution of income.

You're not actually discussing this, you're just copying/pasting talking points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom