• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Independence Day: Resurgence novelization is out and...(UNMARKED SPOILERS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned

You know the expression 'Lower your expectations'?

Well when it comes to this film I wouldn't say lower your critical expectations, I'd say lay them flat on the floor so that nothing, not even dust particles, can pass underneath them.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I don't recall the first one getting rave reviews from critics either.

I remain cautiously optimistic that I'll get exactly what I'm looking for. A disaster movie with lots of loud noises and shiny things to look at for a couple of hours.

legacyzero

Banned
You know the expression 'Lower your expectations'?

Well when it comes to this film I wouldn't say lower your critical expectations, I'd say lay them flat on the floor so that nothing, not even dust particles, can pass underneath them.
What you need to understand about this movie and me, is the first one launched at JUST the right time in my life. Perfectly resonated with me, so much so that I OBSESSED with it for YEARS.

And from what I've seen of the movie, its pulling at those strings almost perfectly. And from what im reading in the OP is true (which all signs point to YES) Then its mission accomplished, and the movie is everything Ive dreamed of for two decades.

Busty

Banned
I don't recall the first one getting rave reviews from critics either.

Well this one won't be getting any reviews because, in the US, Fox aren't holding any press screenings before the film opens.

What you need to understand about this movie and me, is the first one launched at JUST the right time in my life. Perfectly resonated with me, so much so that I OBSESSED with it for YEARS.

And from what I've seen of the movie, its pulling at those strings almost perfectly. And from what im reading in the OP is true (which all signs point to YES) Then its mission accomplished, and the movie is everything Ive dreamed of for two decades.

Fair enough. I suppose it comes down to that age old question "Is a shitty Independence Day sequel better than no Independence Day sequel?"

This is a quandary I'm currently making my way through at the moment with this new season of Top Gear.

UberTag

I usually avoid popcorn/spectacle films but I'm making an exception for this one as the original Independence Day is one of my Dad's favourite blockbusters. I'm treating him to a double bill of BOTH movies on Thursday night as a Father's Day gift.

Anyone else doing back-to-back ID4 screenings in theaters this week?

Aggelos

Independence Day: Resurgence | On-set with Jeff Goldblum 'David Levinson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVvqeQXqat4

Independence Day: Resurgence | On-set with Deobia Oparei 'Dikembe Umbutu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LUKCJQ4GDs

Independence Day: Resurgence | On-set with Brent Spiner 'Dr. Brakish Okun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7W6GhIbL4Q

Independence Day: Resurgence | On-set with Jessie T. Usher 'Dylan Hiller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y49C4VF7Ums

Go behind the Scenes and find out how Independence Day: Resurgence was made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKucd_ZJZt8

DonMigs85

Saw the movie earlier today. It's a decent popcorn flick but it does drag at several points and just isn't as memorable as the first one. Also, it differs from the novel in these two scenes:
1. Alien queen doesn't come face to face with the president. This, I think would have been neat to include. She just gets abducted/killed from the command center and is never seen or mentioned again
2. School bus doesn't ram into the queen's head, it just backs away as she falls down dead.

UberTag

Saw the movie earlier today. It's a decent popcorn flick but it does drag at several points and just isn't as memorable as the first one. Also, it differs from the novel in these two scenes:
1. Alien queen doesn't come face to face with the president. This, I think would have been neat to include. She just gets abducted/killed from the command center and is never seen or mentioned again
2. School bus doesn't ram into the queen's head, it just backs away as she falls down dead.
Both of those changes kind of suck. Wonder if they were cut for time or to preserve the PG-13 rating.

So I just got out and I really liked it. For those worried that they were going all grimdark don't worry, the tone is exact same as the first movie: light-hearted but serious only when it needs to be.

There were some changes I didn't like though:

-Connie is never once mentioned, so people who remember the first movie might be scratching their heads

-Rhea or Mars are never shown :-(

-As mentioned above, we never the President taken before the queen and the queen is simply killed by the hijacked alien fighters, not run over by the school bus

The movie moved fast and it really leads to believe that all the above scenes were indeed filmed but cut due to pacing issues. I really look forward to a extended/director's cut.

Overall I'd give this a 7/10. I really REALLY hope this movie does well enough got sequel.

So I just got out and I really liked it. For those worried that they were going all grimdark don't worry, the tone is exact same as the first movie: light-hearted but serious only when it needs to be.

There were some changes I didn't like though:

-Connie is never once mentioned, so people who remember the first movie might be scratching their heads

Apparently the official canon regarding her is that she died of cancer. I really like Margaret Colin so it's a shame she was left out here. It's a big disappointment for me.

and the queen is simply killed by the hijacked alien fighters, not run over by the school bus

Aww, but that was the best part!

Apparently the official canon regarding her is that she died of cancer. I really like Margaret Colin so it's a shame she was left out here. It's a big disappointment for me.

The thing is that Crucible said she was killed in a car crash. I was hoping the movie would settle the issue one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom