• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Independence Day: Resurgence novelization is out and...(UNMARKED SPOILERS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbuktu

independence-day-resurgence-poster-london.jpg

So they destroy London the day after the EU referendum...

AP90

I'm totally pumped for this movie. Will be definitely going to the movie with a drink or two in me and am excited for some more Jeff goldblum awesomeness.

I hope this sequel succeeds so that a third may come to be with more space battles and cool tech/visuals.

Sorry, I am a big ID fan!

How are the landmarks even still there? wouldn't they have mostly been wiped out in 96?

And why are the cities rebuilt, when we know their strategy was to systematically destroy them? I figure we woudl have spread out more, though, given the nature of manufacturing and such, cities are inevitable.

dabig2

How are the landmarks even still there? wouldn't they have mostly been wiped out in 96?

And why are the cities rebuilt, when we know their strategy was to systematically destroy them? I figure we woudl have spread out more, though, given the nature of manufacturing and such, cities are inevitable.

Yeah, if I was living in the Independence Day universe, ain't no way I'm living in a city or within a 100 miles of one. I'll be off in North Dakota or some remote Canadian wilderness doing fuck all.

SugarDave

The info dump Vigil sphere and "humans are great, lead us" stuff sound straight up Mass Effect.

Laughed at the way Will Smith dies just like that.

Busty

Banned
Several people are reporting that this film won't screen for US critics before it opens which is never a good sign.

Apparently the film runs at 1h 50m which, given how long modern film credits are, suggests the film clock in at a 1h 40m or so. Not the two and a half hours some were suggesting.

As I mentioned in the recent box office thread this film just seems to have zero buzz with the people I know and despite a lot of advertising this just doesn't seem to be connecting with audience the way a Jurassic World did.

Hmmmm.

Several people are reporting that this film won't screen for US critics before it opens which is never a good sign.

Apparently the film runs at 1h 50m which, given how long modern film credits are, suggests the film clock in at a 1h 40m or so. Not the two and a half hours some were suggesting.

As I mentioned in the recent box office thread this film just seems to have zero buzz with the people I know and despite a lot of advertising this just doesn't seem to be connecting with audience the way a Jurassic World did.

Hmmmm.
I thought it was 2hr30m or so last I heard.

Busty

Banned
Sounds like tales out of someone's ass if he can't even get the runtime right.

Was the run time ever confirmed?

I know that several journalists were reporting that Fox weren't scheduling any critic screenings of the film unlike Sony who are running screenings of The Shallows before it opens the same weekend as ID2.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Hmmmm.
I was tutoring some teens who were psyched for this. I wouldn't be particularly surprised if it popped, but we'll see. It does seem unlikely. Unlike Jurassic World getting a generally charismatic Chris Pratt, this got no one the marketing wants to even acknowledge.

I loved, loved Independence Day back when it came out, but this looks dreadful. What if the aliens came back and everything was way bigger!? And we're led to victory by the talentless Hemsworth?!

I'm about 70% done with Crucible, and apparently the writers of Resurgence and Crucible didn't completely collaborate. For example.

His wife Connie died from cancer in the 20 year gap.

In Crucible, she is killed in a car crash by a texting teenager between 2007 and 2012. Remember kids, don't text and drive! Also, Dikembe isn't a "Jr.". His father's name is Upanga. I also want to mention a character named Charlie. In April 2004, he's said to be 10. In February 2005, he's 12, and he's still 12 in April 2007. Bit sloppy writing.

I'll be posting my synopsis when I'm done.

Also: Ruins of Las Vegas promo

Double post, but here's Crucible. While the book is divided into chapters, it's also divided into specific months, which is what I'll be using. Oh, and in case you're wondering, the Casse kids aren't in here either.

Prologue: July 7, 1947: Corporate Jackson Hardy is involved with the crew that investigates the Roswell crash, seeing the dead alien. While staying at a barn while on the trip, he sees a painting of a circle with a line through it on the wall.

July 1996: A 6-year-old Jake Morrison is out on a camping trip outside Los Angeles when the aliens attack. Their leader, Mr. Marshall thinking their parents are dead, decides to take care of the children himself and get help from the Army. Dikembe Umbutu was at Oxford when the aliens attacked. He was studying Art, and had a studio in London. He winds up in Weymouth, where he meets a girl named Hailey. She offers to help him get on a boat ride to Algiers. There's also a short scene about a Chinese pilot named Lao Lei who attacks the City Destroyer near Wuhan. It's later explained that he died in the battle.

August 1997: Captain Steven Hiller is called from his honeymoon to fight more aliens in Russia, since Russia's air force is completely gone. Despite losing his plane and breaking his ankle, he and his men triumph. It's also shown that aliens use mind control as a weapon. Dikembe gets off the boat at Tunis, as Algiers is gone, and Hailey is able to give him a motorcycle. He rides across the Sahara to a region somewhere near the Congo, where he reunites with his family who, along with the rest of their countrymen, are fighting aliens near the flower-shaped ship that was drilling to the core (but they don't figure that out until later). His father Upanga declares the area a new nation called Umbutu and makes his son a colonel. Also, President Whitman is having night terrors.

June 1997: David and Connie visit a half-built "White House 2.0" and President Thomas Whitmore, who explains that the White House and Capitol are being rebuilt because of their symbolism, but other places like NYC, LA, and Houston won't be rebuilt. Despite the economy and infrastructure being in shambles, David wants to start reverse-engineering the aliens' technology and build a lunar base with City Destroyer lasers. President Whitman founds the Earth Space Defense and wants David to head it, which he declines. Connie however, has been asked to run for the Senate. Dikembe goes into combat against the aliens. Most of his men are killed, and he and his twin brother Bakari are captured and tortured to bring out their father, who rescues them with the help of the entire army. Bakari dies in the fight.

August 1997: Steven has been asked to work for the ESD, which will require moving from DC to Nevada, away from Jasmine's nursing college and Dylan's good school. Jasmine agrees for him to move while she and Dylan stay in DC. Meanwhile, Dikembe's father wakes up from a month-long coma as a result from the last battle, and immediately wants to hunt down the remaining aliens.

February 1999: President Whitmore and David negotiate with the Chinese to work together on alien technology, sharing technology, and allowing the Chinese to build the moon base. One attendee is Lao Jiang, brother of Lao Lei, who is in charge of R&D in aeronautics research. He'll be back later.

January 2001: President Whitmore ends his term as President. General Gray takes over.

April 2001: Jake, now 11, lives at the Darling Home for Boys and Girls, and meets a new orphan named Charlie, who the orphanage doesn't have room for. When Charlie decides to run away, Jake shows him his makeshift fighter plane, and they talk of the legendary Russel Casse. He's able to get Charlie a space in his dorm room.

June 2001: Area 51 has expanded greatly, even having a small town around it and housing the Center for Alien Technology, where David has been working on testing a miniature version of a City Destroyer weapon, which works, but is blown up in the process. He also explains to Director Strain and Vice President Bell that aliens can't really survive outside their exosuits and the problems of learning alien technology.

April 2004: Jake, almost 14, is a part-time mechanic while studying for his entrance exams for a STEP school. While both Jake and Charlie are very intelligent for their age, 10-year-old Charlie is smarter in ways, including making a laptop from various junk parts.

June 2004: Catherine Marceaux, a psychiatrist in France, meets with Devin, another psychiatrist, discussing people with PTSD following alien mind control, who draw weird alien symbols, including the circle with the line through it. She compares their fear with chimps who are naturally afraid of snakes even if they've never seen one before.

February 2005: Patricia and Dylan have both been for STEP school. While Patricia will be going to Mecklenberg. Jasmine now has a job at Area 51, and Dylan will be moving with her. They hope to be in the ESD Academy together. Dylan suggests she could be president. Meanwhile, Jake has also made it in, and will be going to the same school as Dylan, which is called Casse. Despite Charlie not being able to test for a couple more years, Jake decides to bring him along, selling the Mustang he had been working on and bought to help pay for an off-campus group home and bus tickets.

March 2006: David and Senator Connie Levinson pick up Julius, who is visiting. He talks about his upcoming book "How I Saved The World", and suggests David and Connie have children.

August 2006: Dylan and Jake meet at the Casse school in 51, Nevada. Jake also meets and gets a date with a girl named Emily, who has Sherlock-level deduction abilities. Meanwhile, Dikembe has been fighting for 9 years, and after a year of no alien sightings, encounters one in the woods and kills it with his friend Zuberi. They believe it to be the last alien.

New character: Rain Lao, daughter of Lao Lei. At the age of 13 she steals a small airplane and flies it near the wreckage of the City Destroyer. She crashes the plane, but is able to walk away, and is arrested by authorities. She isn't charged with anything, and after a few days, sends her back home. Her Auntie Far is outraged and sends her far away to live with her Uncle Jiang (who was in the meeting with Whitemore and David in 2/99), who is also mad, but will get her into a pilot training program.

November 2006: The Levinsons and Hillers get together for a barbeque, having not seen each other in 4 years. Things discussed include Jake and the STEP School, the Senate race, Steve pushing David to be the director of ESD, and David informing Steve that China wants him to help with pilot training.

February 2007: Jake, Dylan, their girlfriends Emily and Terry, and Charlie go to a party after Jake and Dylan are accepted for the ESD Academy. There is some tension between Jake and Dylan because of Dylan's advantage of having a famous dad, which will persist throughout their friendship. In China, Steven meets with Jiang Lao as they test a space freighter that will deliver supplies for the moon base. They also mention Mars and Saturn bases. Steven also agrees to talk to Rain. In 51, David and Director Strain discuss the new H-1 hybrid fighter jets. David says it won't be ready for about a year, but Strain wants it by April for the ESD Spring Expo. David is then kicked out of the hybrid program. He has a short-notice and short meeting with the Secretary of Defense, who offers no solutions. The isolationist country of Umbutu is having problems. People are starving and trying to find work elsewhere, but are under orders to be executed for desertion. It's apparent that Upanga Umbutu is paranoid, believing that humans are possessed by aliens. Dikembe also still paints as stress relief, painting things he saw while tortured, including the circle with the line. Finally, Connie has a meeting with former president Whitmore, asking for a vague favor for David.

April 2007: Lao Jiang is going to America for the H-1 test, but gives Rain a TV to watch it on, despite how much he hates TV. Patricia and her dad are coming too. Colonel Hiller objects to the test flight because David didn't approve of it, along with his being kicked off the project. Vice President Lanford will let David look over it, but the test is still in 2 days. David gives the fighter some testing, and has inconclusive results, but after an argument, Steve decides he wants to test the fighter anyway. That night, the Hillers and Whitmores have dinner, and Steve and Dylan have a father-son conversation. Dylan and Patricia reunite after two years, and she gets to meet Jake, who gets a crush on her, despite still being in a relationship with Emily. After a tense conversation, Jake and Emily go to her parents house and have sex. The next morning, Jake reconsiders going to the Academy at all in order to stay with her. April 27th is the test flight day. The whole world is watching this test flight. The plane takes off, but Control is getting funny readings. The last line is:

“Just hang on,” Hiller said. “I’m on it. Just a little bump in the road.”

In the intervening time between 2007 and 2012, David becomes ESD director shortly after Steve's death. Connie is killed in a car crash by a texting teenager. Director Strain has resigned. Jake, Dylan, and Patrcia make it through the Academy and into flight school. Jake and Emily break up. Technology marches on.

February 2012: Dylan and Jake go on their first flight in H-7s. Patricia breaks up with her old high school boyfriend, and Jake sees a chance. President Whitmore has been having nightmares for the first time in a decade, and has problems when awake too, like staring into a mirror for hours at a time.

May 2012: Rain goes on her first space flight in an H-7, becoming the youngest woman in space, and the youngest to circumnavigate the moon. She investigates another pilot and a friend of hers who has a malfunctioning jet and is slowly re-entering Earth's atmosphere. As much as she wants to help, control informs her that they'll guide the pilot through the atmosphere and order her back to the moon. She decides to save Heng anyway by having his jet piggyback on hers and slowing down. They both crash in Montana. David attends the ESD Spring Expo in French Guiana (northeast South America) along with Lao Jiang and Dr. Catherine Marceaux (see 6/04), who has written a book on human-alien interaction. There is also talk of base construction on Mars, Phobos, and Rhea. They're all there to see Rain's circumnavigation of the moon, and wind up seeing her change course. Jiang is furious. David is pulled aside and is told about the drilling ship in Umbutu. This ship has also destroyed Lagos (capital of Nigeria) and Kinshasa (capital of the Democratic Republic of the Congo) in 1996. In Umbutu, Upanga Umbutu has gone insane, believing that people, including children, have been possessed by alien spirits, and has been massacring people and building mass graves. Dikembe and Zuberi decide they need to do something about him.

July 2012: Patricia meets with her dad while on leave. She finds he's gone insane from the nightmares and hallucinations, and is taking meds for it. She learns from a Secret Service agent that someone is being looked into to help him. Meanwhile, Jake and Dylan fly into Earth orbit and engage in a simulated battle against drones. Dylan is "killed" with Jake being the last man standing. Dylan takes it hard, especially since he feels he has more weight on his shoulders from being the son of Steve Hiller.

June 2013: Dikembe's plan is to recruit mercenaries to stage an attack on his father's compound, then evacuate his father onto a helicopter and out of the country. All goes well until his father talks about how aliens and humans are two parts of a whole. The pilot Dikembe hired betrays him, Upanga stabs him, and he falls out of the helicopter. He survives, finds supplies and sleeps in an old cabin, hoping to escape the country himself. Zuberi finds him and helps treat his wound, but also betrays him and injects him with a form of anesthesia. David heads to the moon base, meets former President Grey, General Adams, and new lunar commander Lao Jiang and discuss the upcoming City Destroyer cannons that should be done by early 2016. Jake has applied for the elite Legacy Squadron, while Patrcia confides in him about her father and his increasing psychosis.

September 2013: After a simulated dogfight, Jake and Dylan fight over what happened during the flight, and it turns to how Jake ran away from Emily to join the Academy, and as a result, Dylan objects to his relationship with Patricia. Not that it matters, since she's resigning to be with her father, while also being an aide to President Lanford. Julius and David meet up. Julius is going on tour for his new book, and pushes David to get a new girlfriend, despite him being overworked as is. Jake has a phone call with Charlie, who is doing very well at the Academy, and is still looking for a soulmate himself. Afterwards, Patricia and Jake go on a weekend trip to a cabin Patricia rented before she has to go home.

April 2014: David attends a Xenology Convention in Lisbon, Portugal when he runs into Dr. Marceaux again. Despite his reservations about finding love again, they hit it off and spend 2 days together before David has to leave for more ESD work. He's even hesitant to answer her phone call a few days later. Dikembe has been imprisoned in a concrete hole in total darkness. He gets food and water from a bucket lowered by a rope, which he also uses as a latrine. Eventually, he's given another bucket with a penlight and chalk, and he begins drawing on the walls, starting with things like wildlife and moving towards alien symbols.

September 2014: Dylan, Jake, and a number of other squadrons engage in a drill around the alien mothership debris field and the moon. Jake takes a reckless move, and Dylan winds up saving the day again. Jake's thoughts turn to Patricia, who is at the rebuilt National Mall in DC with her dad helping the dedication of the Fourth of July Monument, a globe with every City Destroyed marked with a star, and the words "We're going to live on" written in every language on the oceans. He's able to give a short speech, but stumbles on the way out. Patricia deflects some reporters as they get away.

October 2014: Jake and Patricia have dinner at the White House. During dinner, they have a discussion over Legacy Squadron, and Patricia encourages Jake to not worry about it and be happy having his own squadron. Patrica talks about how she loves him because he didn't grow up in the public eye, worked for everything, and turned out to be a great person. Jake is a little tense about the toned-down long-distance relationship.

November 2014: Zuberi finally frees Dikembe from the hole. Dikembe starts wailing on Zuberi, who reveals that it was a long-term gamble to spare Dikembe's life and set up a plan to get him out of the country, and avoid execution. He's able to get across the border and enjoys a meal at a truck stop with some other people. Back on the road, he realizes Zuberi set him free as a last resort. He turns back, meets Zuberi's family and sends them out of the country, and travels on to the capital on foot. Along the way, he is joined by many people, including Zuberi's family, who want to stand up to his father. At the compound, Upanga shows up with guards and a tank. He offers Dikembi a chance to kill him with a pistol, but Dikembi can't bring himself to do it. Upanga orders Zuberi to kill Dikembi, but he turns and kills Upanga instead, and is then killed by the guards. Meanwhile, trials for Legacy Squadron are still going on, with pilots being disqualified at any moment. The last big test is the Grand Canyon Run, in homage to Captain Hiller's flight in '96. In a last ditch attempt to prove he is better than Dylan, Jake tries to pass him in a narrow area, clipping the plane and causing both to crash.

December 2014: The ESD wants to keep quiet about the Grand Canyon incident, but Jake is deemed too dangerous for jets and is reassigned to space tugs. Patricia meets up with him, and while she's disappointed, she still wants to continue their relationship. Charlie has also graduated from ESD Academy.

Epilogue: 2016: Rain is now a member of Legacy Squadron, and meets her flight mechanic, who knew her father. Dikembi, now leader of umbutu, still draws to help ease the stress from his own alien visions. He then notices something different about the alien ship parked nearby, and vows not to repeat his father's mistakes. David calls Patricia, hoping to talk to her dad, but is unable. He reflects on the past 20 years, the recently installed City Destroyer laser, how his old friends are gone, except his dad, who's constantly trying to get more publicity for his book and that he's married to his job. Then he gets a call from Umbutu and immediately heads out.

Busty

Banned
Double post, but here's Crucible. While the book is divided into chapters, it's also divided into specific months, which is what I'll be using....,

Wow, that's some write up, thanks. I never considered that Fox would have someone flesh out the backstory between the first and second ID films. It's probably interesting that anything that happens in the sequel itself!

I have a feeling that none of that backstory is going to make it into the film beyond a "remember that time we..., " from a character.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Hmmmm.

ID2 will clean up worldwide. And it'll have to work to be messier than JW was quality wise.

Busty

Banned
ID2 will clean up worldwide. And it'll have to work to be messier than JW was quality wise.

I dunno....,

“Independence Day: Resurgence” is not on the cover this week’s Entertainment Weekly, which just landed.

The stars of “Resurgence” are not all over the TV, appearing on “Ellen” or the “Tonight Show” or “Jimmy Kimmel,” showing clips.

In fact, there is dead silence surrounding the hugely expensive, highly anticipated sequel to the massive 1996 Roland Emmerich hit “Independence Day.”

That movie was released on July 3, 1996 to tie in with the actual Independence Day– July 4th weekend. This one is set for June 24th, very specifically NOT that tie in.

There have been no advance screenings, no press. There’s no press junket this weekend. My junketeer friends have received no information. There’s some kind of premiere on Monday in Los Angeles next week, a couple of days before the opening night in theaters. But nothing else is set for New York at all, and that is a bad bad sign.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2016/06/1...-with-no-advance-screenings-and-stealth-press

This film opens in less than 7 days and, as the article points out, there has been next to no press or PR appearances from the cast apart from Goldblum and Helmsworth on the Graham Norton show in the UK.

It's official, Fox are burying this film.

Jackpot

Banned
I dunno....,

http://www.showbiz411.com/2016/06/1...-with-no-advance-screenings-and-stealth-press

This film opens in less than 7 days and, as the article points out, there has been next to no press or PR appearances from the cast apart from Goldblum and Helmsworth on the Graham Norton show in the UK.

It's official, Fox are burying this film.

Even if it's bad isn't a title like this worth marketing because people will still see it for the explosions and previous film? Transformers got away with it.

Aggelos

Bill Pullman Interview - Independence Day Resurgence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRUjzrNP0Q8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq-RYWNEnXE

Jeff Goldblum Interview Independence Day Resurgence Live with Kelly 2016 June 14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiEI3tMmjgU

Independence Day: Resurgence | A Candid Conversation: Camaraderie In Action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSAMkvbvK9o

Independence Day: Resurgence | "Brackish Okun Laser" Clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ADxf7sodq8

Independence Day: Resurgence | "Make Them Pay" TV Commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5F9S3-GrUw

NR1

dead silence surrounding the hugely expensive, highly anticipated sequel to the massive 1996 Roland Emmerich hit “Independence Day.”

Maybe Fox thinks the movie will sell itself? I certainly have spotted enough media to be aware of the film and its release date. I don't know... Do the Star Wars film really need those massive cross promotional campaigns to make them massive hits and advance screenings? I figure the title and concept sells itself. Plus, it's not like the film is opening against any major competition or has much competition for several weeks following release. It next major competitor is Ghostbusters several weeks after release.

legacyzero

Banned
LOL IDR Going full Starship Troopers here: The Las Vegas Ruins Experience

untitledwlj4q.png

Even if it's bad isn't a title like this worth marketing because people will still see it for the explosions and previous film? Transformers got away with it.

Yep. I am LITERALLY seeing this movie based on how crazy I was about the first one. You could have not shown me any trailers or told me who was in it, and I'd be in the theater day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom