• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Independence Day: Resurgence novelization is out and...(UNMARKED SPOILERS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he wasn't. Roland and Dean said in the director's commentary that he wasn't dead, just in a coma.

While I understand where you're coming from, and it is 100% the creators deciscion on what happens, it's a total retcon. He was obviously dead but they went back and decided to make it just a "coma"

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This sure is a popcorn movie.
KuGsj.gif

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Daaaaaamn, I hope it's all true.

Oh man now I'm more pumped up XD

I wonder if there is a new speech lol

There really isn't, nothing grand and bombastic like Whitmore's speech at the end of the first one. I'm sure that's changed in the actual film though, since in fact it was Pullman who ad-libbed most of the speech from what I heard.

-Humans are the first species known to ever defeat them.
-The sphere was coming both to warn Humans and to evacuate as many of them as it could to a hidden fortress world bristling with weapons where countless other species whose worlds have been destroyed are mounting a resistance.

Humanity wins once again. The novel ends with the Sphere telling David and Okun that it wants humanity to lead the resistance and launch a counter offensive against the Aliens. It divulges the secrets to interstellar travel (which humans were never able to figure out from the alien tech).

Independence Day: Revengeance.

giphy.gif

The only thing i don't like is Harvesting the earth's core for energy. The earth's core is a giant Iron Crystal, and yes there is radioactive material but is it really worth all the effort?

mAcOdIn

The only thing i don't like is Harvesting the earth's core for energy. The earth's core is a giant Iron Crystal, and yes there is radioactive material but is it really worth all the effort?
What I think is dumber, I mean, like you say surely they have easier methods of gaining energy than drilling into a planet's core, but on top of that, to me, what makes Earth special is our climate. I'm no astrophysicist but they beeline straight for our planet for the core? Fuck, I'd rather they want the land for themselves because it's habitable to them and that's rare over something they can probably find in tons of planets.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No "welcome to earf?" DISAPPOINTED.gif

Can someone give me the cliffnotes version of OP's cliffnotes? They basically posted a novelization in and of itself...

Aliens show up and wreck shit
Friendly Singularity alien sphere shows up, seeks to add Humans to leadership position in alien coalition united against the aggresors
Humans defeat queen alien
Humans agree to join coalition, and take the fight to the evil aliens. Sets stage for ID3: Revengeance
credits

Y'know what. I'm going to see this movie now, that sounds insanely awesome and the idea of humans leading a resistance planet of aliens against the aliens from the first film is just so many layers of escalation on a theme that it'll go down in infamy.

antonz

They nailed the characterization of Humanity. Friendly Alien ship that is nothing like the others shows up. Maybe we should see what is going on? Nah. Blow it out of the sky!

Nudull

Banned
This is some grade-A dumb popcorn movie bullshit, right here. Sucks that they killed off Jasmine, too.

Also, way to have Okun be gay, only to throw in a "bury your gays" death for his boyfriend near the end. Really hope that isn't how it goes in the final film. >.>

They nailed the characterization of Humanity. Friendly Alien ship that is nothing like the others shows up. Maybe we should see what is going on? Nah. Blow it out of the sky!

The worst part I forgot to mention is that the friendly alien ship when it first arrives immediately begins to display a colorful and coordinated pattern of lights, like the helicopter did in the first film to attempt to communicate. David immediately points out that the evil aliens never once tried to communicate before attacking, but is shot down because "it might be a trick."

Aggelos

Sounds interesting....

This is by the way the tracklist from the IDR OST

8195oA8yazL._SL1200_.jpg

1. Traveling Through Space
2. Great Speech
3. Hostile Territory
4. How Did They Get the Lights On?
5. Inside the African Ship
6. More Stimulation
7. Fear
8. The Friendly Spaceship
9. The Only Family I Got
10. Welcome to the Moon
11. What Goes Up
12. It's Getting Real
13. Flying Inside
14. It's a Trap
15. Worth Fighting For
16. The Sphere
17. The Queen is Leaving
18. Whitmore's Choice
19. Humanity's Last Stand
20. Bus Chase
21. We are Rich
22. Independence Day Resurgence Finale
23. ID4 Reprise
24. Electric U - Kid Bloom
25. Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) - Annie Trousseau

Can't wait to hear the score though I'm super bummed David Arnold didn't return. First soundtrack was super fucking good.

Apparently Arnold has had a beef with Emmerich/Devlin ever since Godzilla and hasn't worked with them since.
I wasn't a big fan of Arnold's work with them, but his Bond stuff was on point.

However, it is alway sad to hear about beefs like this. What was the reason on Godzilla?

KC Denton

Wait, if the Harvester just leaves at the end, and it was really close to reaching the core, why didn't it just finish before leaving? Did it lose most functionality with the death of the queen or something?

Apparently Arnold has had a beef with Emmerich/Devlin ever since Godzilla and hasn't worked with them since.

That's a shame. The first Independence Day has one of my favorite summer blockbuster scores. Thing is goddamned incredible. And I also thought highly of the Godzilla score as well.

Dabanton

This will probably be my fave film of the summer.

The trailers have struck that summer popcorn movie tone perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom