• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

India gaming news: Xbox One sales below 1500, PS4 to reach 50,000 by year end

Mandoric

Banned
What about upper-middle class? Remember we are talking about a country with 1.2B+ population, even if only 5% can afford gaming console we're still talking about 50m+ potential customers. That's bigger population than middle class population in countries like UK and Spain.

Up until the PS4/Xbone, consoles also launched very late to never, with correspondingly late price reduction curves. Rich (by local standards) enthusiasts could be picking up UK, US, or HK machines years earlier at global launch, or mail-ordering them for a lower price likely even including shipping. This is wrong, sorry.
There's also the problem that the big arguments for consoles over PC are "I can buy games retail locally", "I can share games with friends", and "all my friends are on XBL", and none of these really apply until consoles take off in a region.

Crackbone

Having lived there for three years a decade ago it's not surprising.

I'd bet the gaming scene there is mainly about mobile as India has a pretty insane mobile network for being a generally poor country.

Told you all India is an extremely small console market.

In fact, 50k PS4s by financial year's end is blowing my mind. I expected less than 20k.

Up until the PS4/Xbone, consoles also launched very late to never, with correspondingly late price reduction curves. Rich (by local standards) enthusiasts could be picking up UK, US, or HK machines years earlier at global launch, or mail-ordering them for a lower price likely even including shipping.

What? 360 launch event was huge, they even had one of the most popular Indian cricketers Yuvraj Singh as their brand ambassador and had TV ads. PS3 also had TV ads. PS3 games were available on launch day, same as rest of the world. Sony and Ubisoft games had midnight launches. Even GT 5 release date was leaked via Indian distributer to rest of the world. Befor PS360, only PS2 was there, but not so advertised.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Its related to the console titles/games which are extremely expensive when sold in India, compared to the PC regional prices.

Farcry 4 - http://www.gamestheshop.com/Far-Cry-4-for-PC/1166#1166

INR 1799 ($29) - PC
INR 2999 ($48) - PS3
INR 2999 ($48) - Xbox 360
INR 3499 ($56) - PS4
INR 3499 ($56) - Xbox One

Guess which one anyone would purchase?

Edit: Another example, Shadow of Mordor - http://www.gamestheshop.com/search/shadow of mordor. PC version costs INR 999 ($16), which is easily within reach of acceptable luxury (for most) in India while the later is no where in terms of affordability.

Yeah that is part of the problem too. Console games are very high priced compared to PC versions. However, cheaper games result in distributors exporting them outside India thus exploiting subsidised pricing. PC games don't have these issues because of region locking.

Cheaper digital games resulted in EA hiking Origin prices and MS banning cross region purchases because people from other countries were using VPN to buy games from Indian stores.

Mandoric

Banned
What? 360 launch event was huge, they even had one of the most popular Indian cricketers Yuvraj Singh as their brand ambassador and had TV ads. PS3 also had TV ads. PS3 games were available on launch day, same as rest of the world. Sony and Ubisoft games had midnight launches. Even GT 5 release date was leaked via Indian distributer to rest of the world. Befor PS360, only PS2 was there, but not so advertised.

Welp, I was wrong, editing! I must have confused the late focus Sony gave as a local launch.

wapplew

1.2b + people in India

MS employees in India: 6500+

XB1 Consoles sold so far: 1500

http://indianexpress.com/article/bu...log-out-18000-employees-india-impact-minimal/

;)

MS employee?
B2SotuJIMAAwPds.jpg

blurr

Cheaper digital games resulted in EA hiking Origin prices and MS banning cross region purchases because people from other countries were using VPN to buy games from Indian stores.

IIRC for EA games, the retailers were at blame, they were selling the disc keys for a profit to people from other countries considering they were much cheaper than elsewhere (as is evident from the FarCry 4 PC price).

There was a twitter campaign protesting this, unfortunately it was of no avail.

blurr

Hey I am one of those 1500 and I don't work for Microsoft lol

Many actually bought Xbox One thanks to crazy Amazon deals who were desperately trying to clear stock. I got mine for ~16k vs original price of 40k.

~16k?! how? I thought you got it for 40k + a 10k gift card.

IIRC for EA games, the retailers were at blame, they were selling the disc keys for a profit to people from other countries considering they were much cheaper than elsewhere (as is evident from the FarCry 4 PC price).

There was a twitter campaign protesting this, unfortunately it was of no avail.

Yeah but that only stopped EA from selling retail PC games. The digital store price hike was due to blatant use of VPN by other region gamers to buy games for cheap, mostly BF3 IIRC.

~16k?! how? I thought you got it for 40k + a 10k gift card.

+3k gift card+10% credit card cash back+4k FIFA 15 and console was already discounted at 35k and not 40k.

may I suggest you watch a documentary on India and on how a large portion of the population have to live....

it is a 3rd world country, don't forget that

I think that's his point. This discrepancy is not indicative of any wider trend because India is not an influencing market for video game consoles yet.

scsa

PS4 is priced at 37000 and Xbone at close to about 45000.(last I read) Translates to about 600$ and 750$. Most of the people decide to import. Sales will be low at these prices, but bright side is both consoles and games are freely available.

NPD threads must be crazy on neogaf.in.
Give this man the thread winner trophy.

cuchikapoor

Neo Member
I have lived a considerable numbers of years in India and London. Having gamed in both countries I'm not surprised by these numbers. Why?

India is all about PC. With numerous whole sale retailers for graphic cards and computer parts and due to the tech culture of India, everybody has custom build (pre- assembled or self built) PC's. In my eight years of living in urban India have never seen a branded desktop PC.

Piracy is rampant in India with all my friends either having chipped ps2's and Xbox 360's. This only further supports the choice for PC.

I have noticed is that next gen consoles only become well known upon the release of a killer app. If GTA5 was new gen only, then those sales figures have been drastically different.

PS4 is priced at 37000 and Xbone at close to about 45000.(last I read) Translates to about 600$ and 750$. Most of the people decide to import. Sales will be low at these prices, but bright side is both consoles and games are freely available.

Give this man the thread winner trophy.

People traveling or their relatives bring the consoles from US, but that number is very low. Importing is of no point because a customs duty of 28% is levied on gaming hardware which brings up price considerably, that too without console warranty. So that is not a preferred option.

LOCK

Well we can look at this optimistically, either the demographics are improving in India or console gaming is becoming more popular. Either way this is good for the country.

Mikey Jr.

Sony is making a smart play here IMO.

Entrench yourself in emerging markets. Become the de facto console in that country. Right now you won't sell a lot, but as gaming becomes bigger and bigger, the population will only look to your console and it will be hard for competitors to get in.

How many of those 1.2+ Bilion is rich enogh to buy an console? I think people over there have other problems to think about than which gaming console to buy

Exactly, other more important things than the 1st world problem about which console to buy
between one console which has a better GPU + faster memory and the 'other' one.

lyrick

Read that article again lol. It doesn't say 15.3m iPads were sold in India in a year. That is the WW total for the quarter.

Sorry misread that. It just says that their was a 45% increase in the country

I'll start incorrectly thinking that all of India is too poor to purchase luxury electronics now.

Sorry misread that.

I'll start incorrectly thinking that all of India is too poor to purchase luxury electronics now.

Don't be silly, No-one is saying all of India is too poor.

But this idea that because the population is 1.21 billion, their middle-class must number 50 million is completely wide of the mark. As someone pointed out, the Indian 'middle-class' is not comparable to that of those in developed countries.

Also, what you'd consider 'upper-middle class' probably constitutes a percentage way smaller than 5%.

lyrick

Don't be silly, No-one is saying all of India is too poor.

But this idea that because the population is 1.21 billion, their middle-class must number 50 million is completely wide of the mark. As someone pointed out, the Indian 'middle-class' is not comparable to that of those in developed countries.

Also, what you'd consider 'upper-middle class' probably constitutes a percentage way smaller than 5%.

I think this discussion has brought up plenty of reasons why India's consumer base has chosen to bypass the consoles in general, especially when compared to other electronic gaming offerings (like PC). I really wouldn't want to start pretending that the low console sales are indicative of anything more than the existence of consumable goods that don't perform well in a market due to not holding as much value as their PC competition.

If you want to show that extremely low console sales are an indicator of more than that provide some evidence.

Slowly people are leaning towards gaming, thanks to mobile gaming becoming popular and adults enjoying games too. Earlier it was just a child's play for everyone. However, a lot of people that gamed on NES (not exactly NES, but chinese NES rip off consoles) as kids, are earning adults now, and they are actually going out and buying consoles, me included. I started off with NES ripoff, then PS1, then PS2 (by this time my friends laughed on me for playing video games), then PS3 and 360. Now I also have PS4 and Xbox One, and when someone knows this, they stare at me in disbelief for spending this much money on video games. Also, no one laughs now and most of them inquire about costs etc and few have already bought last gen consoles.
Good to hear; it sounds like there's definitely a stigma of gaming being "for kids" there, but it's fading away as time goes on. That stigma exists to some degree here in the States, too, even to this day, but it's definitely not like it was even 10 years ago.

I'd say Sony has a very good chance of erasing a lot of the stigma there b/c, already, there's definitely a sizable market of consumers who have the funds to buy. They just need more convincing.

Sony is making a smart play here IMO.

Entrench yourself in emerging markets. Become the de facto console in that country. Right now you won't sell a lot, but as gaming becomes bigger and bigger, the population will only look to your console and it will be hard for competitors to get in.
Yep. They've been doing a good job in India if this is any indication, and some part of the Middle East, South Africa and Russia (I'm thinking PS4 is available there). The only place they've really botched so far is Brazil, where the price is just ridiculous.

Interestingly MS got the jump on them in China and had a decent release there, so it'll be fun to see how PS4 does in that country.

Sorry misread that. It just says that their was a 45% increase in the country

Actually if you look at Mobile phones sales which cost almost same as a current gen consoles, you will be surprised. People here change their phones yearly or even bi yearly. They buy whatever is the latest phone available, and don't mind spending exorbitant amount for them. Examples being iPhones and Samsung, LG, HTC etc flagship phones.
India is a huge and booming market for mobile phones, compared to consoles, even though former is a short term investment and latter lasts for 4-5 years. Its just that people are not into gaming that much, and they need more exposure or awareness to concept of gaming.

Part of me wishes gaming never becomes mainstream enough to come into attention of media and politicians, else 90% of games will be banned due to stupid moral policing and archaic and dumb thinking of the law makers.

Actually if you look at Mobile phones sales which cost almost same as a current gen consoles, you will be surprised. People here change their phones yearly or even bi yearly. They buy whatever is the latest phone available, and don't mind spending exorbitant amount for them. Examples being iPhones and Samsung, LG, HTC etc flagship phones.
India is a huge and booming market for mobile phones, compared to consoles, even though former is a short term investment and latter lasts for 4-5 years. Its just that people are not into gaming that much, and they need more exposure or awareness to concept of gaming.

To be fair, a smartphone is a lot more useful, practical, and has an inherently broader appeal for various reasons than a gaming console. If I had to choose only one of the two, it would be difficult but I would have to pick the smartphone. Doesn't explain upgrading every year, but I assume it is a bit of a status symbol.

Top Bottom