• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones by MachineGames Officially Revealed - Coming in 2024 | Xbox Direct 2024

DanielG165

The biggest issue with first person is that it minimizes the most recognizable thing about Indiana Jones - his silhouette. You always know that it's him in the movies as soon as you see this:
To which you will see in the game, as the B-roll and clips showed multiple times, not only in cutscenes, but what looks to be certain moments in third person also. Indiana Jones is firmly in this game, as is the unique style and world that surrounds him.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
To which you will see in the game, as the B-roll and clips showed multiple times, not only in cutscenes, but what looks to be certain moments in third person also. Indiana Jones is firmly in this game, as is the unique style and world that surrounds him.

Yep, for a first person game, there were quite a bunch of third person moments in the trailer.

They're not gonna get Ford's likeness and not use it as much as possible.

His first point is a good one, the second is just ridiculous. Who gives a fuck. By his logic no one should be inspired to do better than what came before because of downvotes by fanboys.

If you have got a great game there then who cares.

Uncharted was clearly inspired by Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider. You can learn and even be inspired to be better than them in that exact genre..

People are still going to compare it to uncharted, “uncharted in first person” etc.

I’d love to know what kind of private chats him and others like him have , if they do at all, to the Xbox people.

Another Poor game release in RedFall and people are rightly getting pissed off“ But Phil is a gamer “ he says.

Del_X

Some bits look really impressive while others look kinda shit from a lighting standpoint. This runs at 60fps on Series X, though? If so then I can kinda forgive some of it.

bender

What time is it?
His first point is a good one, the second is just ridiculous. Who gives a fuck. By his logic no one should be inspired to do better than what came before because of downvotes by fanboys.

Uncharted was clearly inspired by Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider. You can learn and even be inspired to be better than them in that exact genre..

People are still going to compare it to uncharted, “uncharted in first person” etc.

I’d love to know what kind of private chats him and others like him have , if they do at all, to the Xbox people.

Another Poor game release in RedFall and people are rightly getting pissed off“ But Phil is a gamer “ he says.

+Gears of War

Calling it an Uncharted rip-off just means the person making those statements is easy to dunk on. Uncharted, like all of Naughty Dog's games, aren't terribly original.

Victim mentality all the time

+Gears of War

Calling it an Uncharted rip-off just means the person making those statements is easy to dunk on. Uncharted, like all of Naughty Dog's games, aren't terribly original.

He grates me at times . Do you think the average gamer is going to give a fuck if a bunch of PlayStation zealots will be unhappy?

Critically acclaimed games in a genre should be inspired by, to do better than them in the future . Not feared because of a few narcissistic dweebs will say bad things about it.

If this had been solely third person and impressed at its unveiling I guarantee he wouldn’t be saying this shit.

adamsapple

Not particularly familiar with Indiana Jones I'm taking it. The characters of Marion Ravenwood, Willie Scott and Elsa Schneider come to mind. LOL

The secondary female character is a series staple.

Understandable for a younger audience who grew up on games like Uncharted and maybe haven't, or got into the Indy movies, at a later point.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
He grates me at times . Do you think the average gamer is going to give a fuck if a bunch of PlayStation zealots will be unhappy?

Critically acclaimed games in a genre should be inspired by, to do better than them in the future . Not feared because of a few narcissistic dweebs will say bad things about it.

If this had been solely third person and impressed at its unveiling I guarantee he wouldn’t be saying this shit.
It’s be pretty boring if he first Indiana Jones game in 20 years was just another Tomb Raider or Uncharted.

Victim mentality all the time

It’s not a victim mentality. He’s a phoney snd like Jez Corden tries to push narratives no matter how silly.

When Spencer was getting shit from fed up fans after RedFall, the best he could defend him with was “he’s gamer the others aren’t “ . Who gives a shit if he is or isn’t. He’s paid to deliver the goods to entice consumers to buy.

I think the likes of him forget some have to actually buy these consoles and content to play them and don’t sign up to be subservient to millionaire executives

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

He's been at IGN for a long time and that staff has been tribalistic since the days of Peer and Fran.

Last edited:

Astray

I guess we will see how good the final product does.

Even with my criticisms, this is probably the best game of the ones that got shown, Avowed just looks like a mess from an art style POV. My brother is into fantasy WRPGs so maybe he gets into it or something.

It’s be pretty boring if he first Indiana Jones game in 20 years was just another Tomb Raider or Uncharted.

Who said it would be? What if it’s another tomb raider or uncharted but in first person?

How about be inspired to do better than Uncharted or Tomb Raider instead with top notch visuals , sound design from the films, better pacing , better puzzles, better combat. Is that boring?

Last edited:

Rockman33

Ryan’s tweet speaks the truth though. People absolutely would have said it’s a clone of uncharted. Even though uncharted is a clone of Indiana jones…

DaGwaphics

Understandable for a younger audience who grew up on games like Uncharted and maybe haven't, or got into the Indy movies, at a later point.

True. It's just hard to picture the IJ character without the banter with the female leads. I forget that there are youngins on here. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Ryan’s tweet speaks the truth though. People absolutely would have said it’s a clone of uncharted. Even though uncharted is a clone of Indiana jones…

Can’t the game speak for itself? If it was of a high standard people would play it and not care.

by his logic we wouldn’t have even half the IP we have today

Stuart360

Cant believe people are going on about how the game should of been an Uncharted clone. If they HAD done that, the narrative would be all 'its just an Uncharted clone', 'They are copying Sony as usual', 'MS dont know what they are doing do they?', 'MS are leaving the console industry and this proves it', etc.

actor-robert-downey-jr-eye-roll-sigh-80po5v97ylpwf1pm.gif

Cant believe people are going on about how the game should of been an Uncharted clone. If they HAD done that, the narrative would be all 'its just an Uncharted clone', 'They are copying Sony as usual', 'MS dont know what they are doing do they?', 'MS are leaving the console industry and this proves it', etc.

actor-robert-downey-jr-eye-roll-sigh-80po5v97ylpwf1pm.gif

I’m not saying it has to be a clone at all , it can inspire to be better than what has come before it

Do you honestly think people won’t compare it to Uncharted anyway?

Stuart360

I’m not saying it has to be a clone at all , it can inspire to be better than what has come before it

I dont care really what it gets comapred to. I'm just saying how the narrative woudl change if they had done that, actually it would change no matter what they had done.

At the end of the day this game is what they wanted to make, not an Uncharted style game. So lets judge it on what it is, not what it isnt.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
This is the only game that really makes me want an Xbox.

If this had been a third person game I'd play on TV with a controller it might make we wish (or at least have one reason) to still have my Series X. But being first person it's going to be yet another game to play at a desk.

Still using Series S as a streaming box and extra Halo client while most actual Xbox gaming happens on PC.

adamsapple

Who said it would be? What if it’s another tomb raider or uncharted but in first person?

How about be inspired to do better than Uncharted or Tomb Raider instead with top notch visuals , sound design from the films, better pacing , better puzzles, better combat. Is that boring?

But the game *is* speaking for itself.

Why must it have had to be a third person game? If this is the game Machine Games want to make, this is the game they want to make.

But the game *is* speaking for itself.

Why must it have had to be a third person game? If this is the game Machine Games want to make, this is the game they want to make.

I’m making the point of why not be a third person game? If it was it could still speak for itself.

If the narrative is it is going to be an Uncharted clone, then who is going to set that narrative?

What would you be saying if it was third person?

As I said earlier Ryan’s first point was a good one, his second is ridiculous. It’s going to be compared to uncharted regardless given the setting and inspiration naughty dog took with their IP in the first place.

Last edited:
MachineGames has yet to disappoint me. Yes, I even liked the Wolfenstein spinoff with the woke daughters. One thing they excel is level design.

EDMIX

Why 1st person ? Animations looks clunky as hell, especially when using the whip. Character models look last generation.

Came here to say this.

1. I have no clue why they'd choose first person as it sounds like this will be limited on platforming

2. Why does this look like a XONE game? Is this going to be cross gen or something?
Not that bad, but it looks 1 generation old, like a really good PS4 game.

Same.

Ok...so it seems like its not just me that saw this.

So, this isn't a day 1 based on a few things, but a deep sale later based on how it turns out.

(maybe)

Jigsaah Jigsaah Maybe, but Guerilla Games went from doing only First Person Shooters to doing a open world 3rd person RPG that moved like 25 million.

So making FPS in the past, doesn't always mean you must 100% ONLY stick with that. Thats like saying an artist using paint can only use that same medium or something. They are good enough that they can design in 3rd person, so I don't know if i can say that is the reason.

Last edited:
True. It's just hard to picture the IJ character without the banter with the female leads. I forget that there are youngins on here. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Not young-ins
Mel Brooks Morons GIF

What makes you think this cant be better? Literally any which way the game was made, this "clone" bs would have been spouted by some other weirdo.

This whole third person adventure game shit is seriously getting tiresome. How many third person games that involving platforming are out there? We have a million assassin creeds, enough walking simulators, souls type pain simulators and other platforming open world games. We've played plenty of parkour simulators that have started looking less and less different. Notice how i just generalized an entire and diverse amount of game titles? For the record, we already had several 3rd person Indy games. All of them were sent with mixed reviews.

There is enough room for a semi-platforming, first person/third person adventure game out there. If you paid attention to the video instead of dismissing when the dev's spoke, you'd see that these people wanted to create an IJ game like the movies- I dont think

If people actually took like 5 mins to not just go "hurr durr- its first person"- they'd realize just how faithful some of those environments looks. Some of the shots looks directly ripped from Raiders, Temple of Doom and Last Crusade. They've even got Denholm Elliot as Brody in the game! This is supposed to basically play out like an Indy movie, and so far it ticks all the boxes for that. It looks (environments, character looks ( Nazi's, fast talking women out of Indy's league all there)- really faithfull to the movies. Im excited by that alone. It's even a part of the movie universe! That it self gets to make it stand out on its own. People gotta start looking at games as a whole and not this "We'll its uncharted in first person..." -What would even be wrong with that?

Last edited:

DryvBy

It’s not a victim mentality. He’s a phoney snd like Jez Corden tries to push narratives no matter how silly.

When Spencer was getting shit from fed up fans after RedFall, the best he could defend him with was “he’s gamer the others aren’t “ . Who gives a shit if he is or isn’t. He’s paid to deliver the goods to entice consumers to buy.

I think the likes of him forget some have to actually buy these consoles and content to play them and don’t sign up to be subservient to millionaire executives

Ryan looks like the kind of guy that would go to the principle saying he was bullied and harassed with insults to his fam because you flushed a turd. You could wash up an entire female prison with how big of a douche he is.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I’m making the point of why not be a third person game? If it was it could still speak for itself.

If the narrative is it is going to be an Uncharted clone, then who is going to set that narrative?

What would you be saying if it was third person?

As I said earlier Ryan’s first point was a good one, his second is ridiculous. It’s going to be compared to uncharted regardless given the setting and inspiration naughty dog took with their IP in the first place.

If it's a good game, it will speak for itself even if it's a text adventure. I'm not understanding why some users are so hung up on dismissing it just because it's first person. Well, some are clearly shitposting and that's easy to see, but there's also some posters who are genuinely baffling with the commentary, like a user saying it's disappointing because you won't see Indy's silhouette all the time ... ok ...

The trailer showed that it's not a mindless shooter or Wolfenstein clone, there's exploration, puzzle solving and multiple ways to approach scenarios in the levels.

Seems like it's gonna be a pretty decent immersive game with open-ended gameplay.

Romulus

As an avid xbox basher recently, this looks more fun than anything in sonys recent portfolio. Sure there's some weirdness with the visuals etc but it actually looks fun to me.

Not young-ins
Mel Brooks Morons GIF

What makes you think this cant be better? Literally any which way the game was made, this "clone" bs would have been spouted by some other weirdo.

This whole third person adventure game shit is seriously getting tiresome. How many third person games that involving platforming are out there? We have a million assassin creeds, enough walking simulators, souls type pain simulators and other platforming open world games. We've played plenty of parkour simulators that have started looking less and less different. Notice how i just generalized an entire and diverse amount of game titles?

There is enough room for a semi-platforming, first person/third person adventure game out there.

If people actually took like 5 mins to not just go "hurr durr- its first person"- they'd realize just how faithful some of those environments looks. Some of the shots looks directly ripped from Raiders, Temple of Doom and Last Crusade. They've even got Denholm Elliot as Brody in the game! This is supposed to basically play out like an Indy movie, and so far it ticks all the boxes for that. It looks (environments, character looks ( Nazi's, fast talking women out of Indy's league all there)- really faithfull to the movies. Im excited by that alone. It's even a part of the movie universe! That it self gets to make it stand out on its own. People gotta start looking at games as a whole and not this "We'll its uncharted in first person..." -What would even be wrong with that?

It could be better you’re right dude. My point is there shouldn’t be an issue if it had been third person. The game could still speak for itself and be great.

If the narrative was to be it’s a clone of uncharted, who will be pushing that narrative? What are the chances some who would are obnoxious zealots like Ryan is hinting at and what I’m saying is, why give a fuck what they think.

If it's a good game, it will speak for itself even if it's a text adventure. I'm not understanding why some users are so hung up on dismissing it just because it's first person. Well, some are clearly shitposting and that's easy to see, but there's also some posters who are genuinely baffling with the commentary, like a user saying it's disappointing because you won't see Indy's silhouette all the time ... ok ...

The trailer showed that it's not a mindless shooter or Wolfenstein clone, there's exploration, puzzle solving and multiple ways to approach scenarios in the levels.

Seems like it's gonna be a pretty decent immersive game with open-ended gameplay.

I’m disappointed it’s first person and would of much preferred third, but still, as many of you are saying, it could still turn out well.

I’m just annoyed people should care of a potential narrative of it being a Uncharted clone because

1) it’s going to be compared to uncharted anyway

2) you know as I do some of the people pushing that narrative dislike Xbox anyway or appear to on social media to push their followers/youtube and I say fuck them (not literally of course)

It could be better you’re right dude. My point is there shouldn’t be an issue if it had been third person. The game could still speak for itself and be great.

If the narrative was to be it’s a clone of uncharted, who will be pushing that narrative? What are the chances some who would are obnoxious zealots like Ryan is hinting at and what I’m saying is, why give a fuck what they think.
I added a few thougts to my original post and yes you are right- There shouldnt be any issue if it was 3rd person.

That being said, like i added, there have already been several Indy games that were 3rd person- going as back as 85' for the atari.
I also agree, i have no idea why anyone cares or lets people like Ryan live rent free in their heads. I dont think what he's said is completely wrong, but to dismiss a game because its not what "you" ( i use this objectively) is such a waste for video games as an art form or media. If we just played or watched things that only were modeled after our bare expectations, this shit would be depressing as fuck to play.

I added a few thougts to my original post and yes you are right- There shouldnt be any issue if it was 3rd person.

That being said, like i added, there have already been several Indy games that were 3rd person- going as back as 85' for the atari.
I also agree, i have no idea why anyone cares or lets people like Ryan live rent free in their heads. I dont think what he's said is completely wrong, but to dismiss a game because its not what "you" ( i use this objectively) is such a waste for video games as an art form or media. If we just played or watched things that only were modeled after our bare expectations, this shit would be depressing as fuck to play.

Point well made sir , I hear you 👍

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Came here to say this.

1. I have no clue why they'd choose first person as it sounds like this will be limited on platforming

2. Why does this look like a XONE game? Is this going to be cross gen or something?

Same.

Ok...so it seems like its not just me that saw this.

So, this isn't a day 1 based on a few things, but a deep sale later based on how it turns out.

(maybe)

Jigsaah Jigsaah Maybe, but Guerilla Games went from doing only First Person Shooters to doing a open world 3rd person RPG that moved like 25 million.

So making FPS in the past, doesn't always mean you must 100% ONLY stick with that. Thats like saying an artist using paint can only use that same medium or something. They are good enough that they can design in 3rd person, so I don't know if i can say that is the reason.
Yea maybe, but...who knows what factors played into why they chose first person. They clearly were mindful of the potential backlash, because they were sure to mention how the camera pans out to see Indy during traversal. I imagine making a 3rd person game does take more effort. More animation, more character model development, etc. It's possible Machine Games just didn't have the talent at the crucial time of development to make a completely 3rd person game happen. Folks can debate on whether they could have hired someone for that or not...but I don't know if the ability to matters that much if the decision comes down to "be Indiana Jones" means first person.

On the other hand maybe they saw how Cyberpunk did and figured that the audience would be ok with it. I don't really know honestly. I don't feel like it's really cutting corners though. So much else of what I saw looked impressive.

I think about what do you lose going 3rd person. Is it less immersive? Do you lose the ability to really see certain textures up close? Is the sense of danger lost because it's 3rd person? I think that really up to the player to determine from their own experience but when I think about games like Alan Wake II...I'm completely immersed to the point that I gotta take a step back cuz this shit is just getting a little too surreal for me. Then I think, well hell...what if Alan Wake II was in first person? Am I more immersed? Am I recoiling like I do when I play it in 3rd person because my imagination is getting the best of me? I think the execution is what matters. I was as mad as everybody else when Cyberpunk was shown to be 1st person. When I played it though...I just about forgot about all those complaints. The game was good and it fit.

So I'm keeping an open mind. So far so good.

Last edited:

skit_data

Don't understand the complaints about it being 1st person.
I think it's an interesting approach, something that feels new.
The animations on the whip and characters though, they didn't look very good.

The most painful part was the swenglish from the developers and whoever that chick dressed in pink was.

Top Bottom