• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I have a question to people used to Unity (and expecially those who make 60fps action games with it):
How do you manage to make it smooth?

I have an impeccable framerate, but no matter what the objects and characters move in a slight jerky non-linear way (some people don't notice, some like me do). I have tried changing the fixed update value, but with no good results.
When I see games such a assault android cactus looking so smooth, I really wonder how they did manage it.

Are you using rigid bodies? If so, turn on interpolate.

DSix

Banned
Are you using rigid bodies? If so, turn on interpolate.

Well, I made some simple test prototypes with Rigidbodies and Character Controllers. Rigidbody is the most choppy, while character controller can be made to be decent, but not quite. I guess I'll have to settle for this :/

cbox

ibtA3DrHpF2xvz.gif

These both look incredible, nice work!

Blizzard

Banned
Whats a good program to use (which is free) to make sprites and backgrounds for Game Maker?

Does GM have its own creation tools?
I started using Tile Studio (http://tilestudio.sourceforge.net/), which is an older free piece of software. It took me a day or so to understand the program, so make sure you read the website tutoria/documentation stuff if you try it. It's tailored for little animated sprites, or putting together sprite tiles.

GraphicsGale is often recommended as a fancier sprite program, and I believe it has a free version you can try.

just wanted to say that i've found an artist to team up with. i am very, very excited. he seems like a good dude who is extremely motivated. it will be a while before i have anything to share, but what we are designing right now has a lot of promise. can't wait to take part in this thread more in the future!

bumpkin

Hmm, so anybody with a Windows PC want to help test something out for me?

In the interest of full disclosure, there isn't much to play... When it starts, it's just a static splash screen. You press Enter/Return to go into a black, empty stage where you can move a character back and forth and shoot at "enemies."

I'm just trying to confirm whether or not my attempt to get a Windows version of my game (building it on a Mac) actually works on someone else's PC. :)

My Flappy Bird clone was released on Android today. I used it as a way to learn how to implement achievements and a leaderboard using Google Play Game Services, which was a lot easier than I expected. Its free with no ads, and no one has posted to the leaderboard yet so see how far you can go!

Google Play Link
41BYh4w.png

Bishop89

I started using Tile Studio (http://tilestudio.sourceforge.net/), which is an older free piece of software. It took me a day or so to understand the program, so make sure you read the website tutoria/documentation stuff if you try it. It's tailored for little animated sprites, or putting together sprite tiles.

GraphicsGale is often recommended as a fancier sprite program, and I believe it has a free version you can try.

Thanks. I will give those a shot as well.

Sycle

Neo Member
I have a question to people used to Unity (and expecially those who make 60fps action games with it):
How do you manage to make it smooth?

I have an impeccable framerate, but no matter what the objects and characters move in a slight jerky non-linear way (some people don't notice, some like me do). I have tried changing the fixed update value, but with no good results.
When I see games such a assault android cactus looking so smooth, I really wonder how they did manage it.

Avoid instantiating gameplay elements during gameplay. Create them once and pool.

Avoid operations that generate a lot of garbage. This is more of a mobile problem but if you trigger GC often enough it can be an issue on PC.

Think about anything that runs occasionally but has an uncapped cost. (functions that run infrequently but perform complex behaviour on every enemy on the screen for instance can cause slow frames even when the average framerate is high) There's often ways to spread the load or limit it to a sensible worst case.

Definitely use the profiler if you have Pro. Look for literal spikes then figure out what's going on :)

If your framerate is consistently high but the game just feels stuttery, check how you're moving your camera. If you're moving your character/camera target with physics or with FixedUpdate, move your camera in FixedUpdate too. Or if everything moves on Update make sure your camera moves in Update. Either can work (obviously FixedUpdate won't get any smoother if your FPS goes above your physics tick though) but you'll feel it if they're at odds with each other.

DSix

Banned
[Helpful advices]

Thanks, the FixedUpdate vs Update stuff is interesting, something to keep in mind along with the usual garbage collector (that one I know well, I shipped my last xna game two weeks ago, a perfect flat garbage graph during gameplay).

I've found the cause of the jitter issue: it was the Unity vsync. It seems to be broken when used on AMD gpus, creating those jerky movements I was complaining about (all while the engine pretending no frame was ever dropped).

I've found that either disabling vsync and/or multithreaded rendering solved the issue.
It's a bit obscure to me as I never suspected vsync would cause issues on a game running at max FPS. It definitely didn't back in xna.

Jobbs

Banned
Heads up, I'll be doing a Steam Giveaway Raffle for NA GAFers for Apexicon's Kickstarter Launch in its thread at 3 PM EST later today:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790268

the KS seems to be doing well so far, what did you change this time compared to last time? how'd you prepare differently? I'm very curious since even though I ran a KS that was successful, I still don't really know exactly how or why different KS succeed or fail, and when one does poorly THEN does well the second time, I'm particularly curious (not to count eggs before they hatch, but you seem to be very well on pace so far).

Ashodin

the KS seems to be doing well so far, what did you change this time compared to last time? how'd you prepare differently? I'm very curious since even though I ran a KS that was successful, I still don't really know exactly how or why different KS succeed or fail, and when one does poorly THEN does well the second time, I'm particularly curious (not to count eggs before they hatch, but you seem to be very well on pace so far).

The first time I had a lot of "dark presence", ie. unknown to the world. After the first Kickstarter exposure, I assume a lot more people kept track of the game's progress (as I noticed that from IndieDB views to the page would spike around news that I posted).

bumpkin

No takers? Damn, tough crowd... Guess I'll re-post.

Anyone with a Windows PC mind trying to run a super early build I did of my game and letting me know if what I say should work, does?

missile

The first time I had a lot of "dark presence", ie. unknown to the world. After the first Kickstarter exposure, I assume a lot more people kept track of the game's progress (as I noticed that from IndieDB views to the page would spike around news that I posted).
Dark Presence can be a title of a game! :+ Good luck this time around!

Dark Presence xD

Blizzard

Banned

Anyone with a Windows PC mind trying to run a super early build I did of my game and letting me know if what I say should work, does?
I don't mean to be rude, and you're probably a fairly prolific poster and thus presumably trustworthy.

But, if someone posts a Windows executable and says "can someone please run this and tell me what it does", it's probably going to take a bit to get people to try it. You may want to ask some friends first. :p

Sure, I'll try it.

I don't mean to be rude, and you're probably a fairly prolific poster and thus presumably trustworthy.

But, if someone posts a Windows executable and says "can someone please run this and tell me what it does", it's probably going to take a bit to get people to try it. You may want to ask some friends first. :p

But look at his cute Mega Man avatar, he couldn't possibly be evil!

AW Yiss!

Popstar, IndieGAF, everyone, Jobbs, Feep, LET'S DO THIS

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paladium/apexicon-fantasy-puzzle-combat-puzzle-rpg

KICKSTARTER LIVE

This is full of lies! The image at the top clearly says "PC DVD-ROM" while there is no mention of a physical copy. ;)

bumpkin

No offense taken, you do make a valid point. Probably a poor choice of words on my part simply saying it's an executable. :)

The program is an attempt at a Windows port of the code demo'ed here on my Mac: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5N8Mnq1Cs4

I'm just wondering if it works on anyone else's computer. I've never programmed a PC game before, so I'm half expecting to have it be one of those "But it works on my computer" things. Never know unless some other people can try it out for me.

Makai

It's called viral marketing ;)

@bumpkin, I think you should get dual boot or Parallels set up ASAP. This will not be the last time you have to check your Windows code and it will be much easier to debug when you can check it yourself.

AlexM

Buddy and me were doing Minild50 and decided to do Mario Battle Mode except with Rob Ford and you're running from crackpipes, alcohol and journalists.

tumblr_n2x8smOb2m1rc9vrqo1_500.png

SFGUI is presumably the closest thing to what you want, since it's a GUI system designed to work with SFML. BUT, it may still not have a C# binding...I didn't see one from a very brief Google search.

This might be another alternative:
http://code.google.com/p/gwen-dotnet/

I've been writing my own GUI system from scratch that works with an SFML engine, but I can hardly recommend doing that. :p

Thanks for this, will take a look.

cbox

Wondering if anyone could lend any opinions for our game.

Currently our game doesn't have an end game. Each mode is ongoing and really never ends. There are no lives, no levels, etc. The game just gets harder the smarter you play. I was wondering what would give people the incentive to keep playing. I mean we have leaderboards and stats, but I guess that could only keep someone interested for so long.

I'm thinking of maybe implementing a timed mode but I was hoping to get some opinions!

Cheers!

Vark

Wondering if anyone could lend any opinions for our game.

Currently our game doesn't have an end game. Each mode is ongoing and really never ends. There are no lives, no levels, etc. The game just gets harder the smarter you play. I was wondering what would give people the incentive to keep playing. I mean we have leaderboards and stats, but I guess that could only keep someone interested for so long.

I'm thinking of maybe implementing a timed mode but I was hoping to get some opinions!

Cheers!

I'm kind of in the same spot myself. Honestly it depends on what type of game it is. If you're going to make content finite then you'll need more 'goals' for the player as opposed to activities.

I'm just working on a quick little iPhone game so it's not meant to be more than a temporary diversion but hopefully it's interesting enough that people will come back to it. So yea, answer / non answer is it totally depends ;)

fin

So I finished the Google Play stuff and Apple submission this weekend. After procrastinating on forms and taxes and stuff. I logically convinced myself that everything is good to go. It's at Apple HQ right now getting certified. I'm literally afraid to check my email :p For Android there is no certification right? It's just hit publish and done, which is rad.

Updated the game page here. I've got three videos I'm going to roll out before release I think. Just waiting on apple. Also updated the indieDB page, here's my atari/lawnmower man box art:

Looking at sending codes/apk links to websites now. Probably send out codes about a week before release. Kinda paranoid about blindly hosting an open share to an APK. But I don't think there is a way to distribute codes on Google Play, so I figure host an APK till release. Apple gives you 100 codes so that's pretty cool.

Vark

Working a little bit more on my iPhone game. Originally I wanted to be done this week but I'm giving myself to the 4th so I can spend a full week on visual stuff once I'm happier with the gameplay.

All of the basics are in though, just need to give the player a little more something to do and add in something at the bottom to indicate that falling = bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHYg49Ce_sI&feature=youtu.be

Etnos

Banned
As someone who used Unity for 2 years I'm really loving Stencyl 3.0,

I've been fooling around with it for a couple of weeks and it's visual programming tool is awesome. In before "but its not real coding", you can actually edit or create code to subtle acceleration/physics as well as create custom behaviours with Haxe a JS like scripting language.

So far I haven't stuck in a "I can't do this" moment.

Blizzard

Banned
Latest sprite revisions:

punch_and_flame_2k4xrq.gif

I wanted to do one more unit sprite for now, but the ideas I'm having so far seem quite difficult to make, especially with 32x32. I also plan to make the next sprite use TREADS instead of tires so it's at least slightly different. =P

A super rough image of what the gunner will look like in our little 2D shooter. She's segmented so that she can rotate 360 degrees. Frame changes will happen every 30 degrees in between the north, east, south and west positions.

CohZbOz.jpg

There's a lot you've improved on in comparison to the first attempt, but I think the two changes that have most drastically influenced its newfound success are the new video pitch and the lowered initial goal. Your video is more inviting, not quite as vague, and draws the backers into your game concept and world in a seamless way. Your goal being a third than what it used to suggests a higher chance of success, driving backers to put their pledges down now so they can take advantage of the opportunities at hand (early bird, fundraiser exclusives, etc.). There are plenty of other improvements, as well, but that's what is most noticeable to me.

Seems like you guys will get the funding. You've done well for the first day, and you have near thirty fold that time left. Do you have stretch goals and captivating updates lined up for your backers, just in case momentum exceeds your expectations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom