• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Winnie-

Amazing work happening on this page (actually make that, the last page), keep up the great work guys! :D

My friends and I are about to release our first paid app on iOS/Android, so we're new to the process and don't really know best practices. Do you guys have any tips? Things like the best day to release, how to improve our chances of being featured, that good stuff. :p

friken

I guess I'll check it out! Is there any good resources for starting to learn C# that you guys would recommend?

Too many to list. A simple google search for C# stuff will get tons of great help. Also, Unity itself has a great c# primer/tutorial section specific to use w their engine.

Doing that screenshot saturday thing for Treachery in Beatdown City, showing off the pipe weapon.

datpipereturn.gif

Even though a large amount of attacking in Treachery in Beatdown City will be focused on the menu, ala VATS from Fallout 3, weapon use will be strictly real time for the player. We're going to work hard to balance these, but we want them to be fun!

Also, we're relaunching our Kickstarter April 7th, week before PAX East, and I'll be up there demoing!

Blizzard

Banned
I'm late to screenshot Saturday. I finished some basic animation sets for 3 units though things will probably need polished or replaced wholesale later. I'm continuing my streak of practicing at least a tiny bit of pixel art every day with the goal of getting better.

Next up I want to focus on some battlefield graphics and getting it to some sort of playable state where I can start testing things.

units51yywy.gif

Making something with legs even look close to correct, let alone WALK, is difficult.

Jobbs

Banned
I was curious if anyone had any advice as to how to target a game in terms of its performance... If you go back far enough, you can always find *some* kind of computer spec that'll struggle. In my case, this usually boils down to memory issues. I was curious if anyone had any advice or general thoughts in terms of what specs to target as the lowest specs a game will run great on.

Basically I think I need a shitty computer to aid in development, since i don't have one, and I need to figure out what type of shitty computer to buy. :) Was looking at maybe like some kind of cheap laptop that a lot of people might have around, and use that to test on.

EDarkness

I was curious if anyone had any advice as to how to target a game in terms of its performance... If you go back far enough, you can always find *some* kind of computer spec that'll struggle. In my case, this usually boils down to memory issues. I was curious if anyone had any advice or general thoughts in terms of what specs to target as the lowest specs a game will run great on.

Basically I think I need a shitty computer to aid in development, since i don't have one, and I need to figure out what type of shitty computer to buy. :) Was looking at maybe like some kind of cheap laptop that a lot of people might have around, and use that to test on.

That's always a good question. I develop on a Mac Mini as my minimum spec. if this machine runs the game well, then it should work well for many machines. I don't know how everyone else does it, but I tend to test on multiple machines when I can as well. Might be a good idea to find a basic spec and use that as a base.

cbox

I have an old core 2 duo machine laying around that I test the game with. That and an old acer netbook with a core solo with integrated intel video.

NaviLink

I have a question for you indie devs, about testing specifically. For those of you who develop on smartphones and tablets, how do you deal with testing? Do you buy at least one version of each device/system? Do you borrow them from friends and family? Do you rent them from companies?

Let's say you're making a game for iOS, that is also playable on tablets. Taking into account just the latest generation, does it mean you have to test on a Iphone 5C, Iphone 5S, Ipad Air and iPad Mini? Or does coding for a unified OS like iOS makes all of that easier? Do you test on the OS of each device emulated on your PC/Mac? I'm very curious about the specifics. Thanks!

bumpkin

I have a question for you indie devs, about testing specifically. For those of you who develop on smartphones and tablets, how do you deal with testing? Do you buy at least one version of each device/system? Do you borrow them from friends and family? Do you rent them from companies?

Let's say you're making a game for iOS, that is also playable on tablets. Taking into account just the latest generation, does it mean you have to test on a Iphone 5C, Iphone 5S, Ipad Air and iPad Mini? Or does coding for a unified OS like iOS makes all of that easier? Do you test on the OS of each device emulated on your PC/Mac? I'm very curious about the specifics. Thanks!
I haven't done any games on iOS, but I've done a few Apps. Their SDK provides you with really solid simulators for a huge sampling of their devices. Way better than the garbage Google supplies for Android development.

Five

Banned

I'm working on an iOS app I was contracted to build (so not an indie game). I'm testing it on an iPhone 5c, iPhone 4s, iPad 4 and iPad 2. The 5c and 4 are mine, and the 4s and 2 are my brother's. This mostly covers the range of devices we want to support by hitting the highs and lows (an iPhone 4 would have been better than 4s, but it's not a huge deal) and having every screen resolution. Fortunately, unlike the problem Jobbs just asked about with PC specs, most people don't hang onto their phones and tablets as long as they do computers so most are going to have a model less than two years old.

Speaking of which, Jobbs, I've got a 2012 MacBook dual-booting that I low-end test on. It's got a 3rd gen Intel i5 processor and Intel HD Graphics 4000 integrated graphics card. I'm not saying necessarily that I'd never target a computer worse than this, but the integrated graphics and so-so CPU give me a good example of what a lesser but fairly standard machine performs like. It's also helpful that it dual-boots to Windows.

Kamaki

Well, you always have to define where each bullet is going to go and when. Otherwise it's undefined (duh!). Could you elaborate on how you're doing it? Because there certainly are different ways with varying degrees of efficiency. Like, manually making a vector of bullet angles is pretty inefficient. Writing a method that generates a pattern of n equidistant bullets over an angular interval with an offset angle is a lot more efficient, for that pattern anyway.
I actually feel like you're a genius. I never though of doing something like that, if I understand what you're saying anyway.

What I was doing before was spawn a bullet and then give it the correct initial position and rotation.
Now I define the angle between bullets in the same tier, in my zig zag pattern it's just 15° for each tier of bullets. It then checks once it's done the pattern for the full 360° and moves onto the next tier of the pattern.
It's really crushed down my number of states! Makes putting in my patterns a lot less tedious too.

One Tier Before, in a pattern of 8 Tiers.

The New Tier using the method you mentioned.

Bollocks

Gave UE4 a more extended test run and yep I need to upgrade my computer.
Even the most simple things give me 10 fps, editing Blueprints is a chore. I have to hover over a pin for 2 seconds for the system to register that I'm hovering over it.
If I switch to Chrome there's a noticeable keystroke delay.
Cooked it and the performance is even worse ._.

My PC is from 2010, you could see that coming from a mile away, but still I had that little hope inside me.

But it's a cool piece of software, now off to browse for PC hardware.

Makai

If you're strapped for cash, your public library has a bunch. I've gone to mine to test restrictive network compatibility

Even the most simple things give me 10 fps, editing Blueprints is a chore. I have to hover over a pin for 2 seconds for the system to register that I'm hovering over it.

My PC is from 2010, you could see that coming from a mile away, but still I had that little hope inside me.

My PC is from 2011 (2500k and HD6950) and runs it well, so that is weird.

Anyone here using the latest NGui plugin for Unity?

How do I make a button in a 3D environment? All the tutorials tell you to use the 2D Gui option but It's blurred out in my 3d game scene.

What's your PC's "Big 3" setup? I've got GTX 670, 2600k, 16GB ram. Don't have UE4 but will try it eventually. I've read it takes a lot more power just for minimal tasks than Unity. I've read the opposite too. I'm waiting for much better GPU generation before upgrading though.

friken

I use my macbook air (couple year old one). Some may say even that is a bit high for spec though... but then again I think we are still a year+ our from release. That said, I'm targeting medium quality to run 60fps+ on the air for some headroom for even worse hardware.

I have osx and windows on it for the testbed.

friken

We are planning on doing something similar to Homeworld for story telling -- Using concept art shots. We want to make it a bit more dramatic / alive so we are layering our scenes so we can spread the depth and do some pan/zoom. Add a grain, a bloom, and it comes to life a bit. I'm thinking we can get a lot of mileage from a handful of still scenes, and some good voice acting. Thoughts?

sample (stiff manual camera test w low rez gif):

zoom:
itWZPlhNgQdoS.gif

pan:
i0pmyVhdRitcb.gif

clouds:
iMrJokHmepQlz.gif

Makai

I've been using a Lenovo from 2010 for development recently, even though I have a recent desktop. More intensive code is on the way, but I've been getting around 500 fps with AA and vSync disabled, so I'll probably be in a good position for netbook support later.

Popstar

We are planning on doing something similar to Homeworld for story telling -- Using concept art shots. We want to make it a bit more dramatic / alive so we are layering our scenes so we can spread the depth and do some pan/zoom. Add a grain, a bloom, and it comes to life a bit. I'm thinking we can get a lot of mileage from a handful of still scenes, and some good voice acting. Thoughts?

Looks good, but I agree the pan could be toned down a notch.

It's interesting that you say you want to make it more dramatic / alive since Homeworld's opening was inspired by the alternate opening for Dune, which Rob & co. misremembered as being more dynamic than it actually was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_0uz7e9A6E

NaviLink

I haven't done any games on iOS, but I've done a few Apps. Their SDK provides you with really solid simulators for a huge sampling of their devices. Way better than the garbage Google supplies for Android development.

So they do have emulators to give at least an idea of how it would run on the target device. Good to know.

I'm working on an iOS app I was contracted to build (so not an indie game). I'm testing it on an iPhone 5c, iPhone 4s, iPad 4 and iPad 2. The 5c and 4 are mine, and the 4s and 2 are my brother's. This mostly covers the range of devices we want to support by hitting the highs and lows (an iPhone 4 would have been better than 4s, but it's not a huge deal) and having every screen resolution. Fortunately, unlike the problem Jobbs just asked about with PC specs, most people don't hang onto their phones and tablets as long as they do computers so most are going to have a model less than two years old.

I imagine you're right about people upgrading their phones hand having only Iphone 4s or 5s. Plus Apple stops support for previous gens after a while I guess. I wonder how many 3Gs and 3GSs are still used.

Thank you both for your answers.

Galdelico

zoom:
itWZPlhNgQdoS.gif

This is amazing, both the pacing and the camera movement feel perfectly natural to me.

bumpkin

So they do have emulators to give at least an idea of how it would run on the target device. Good to know.
Apple is pretty quick to take down legacy simulators, but you can currently run it as a variety of devices with either the latest iOS (7.1) or iOS 6.0. This is a screen grab of the available devices in the current SDK:

iOS_Devices.png

I believe they equate to the following:

iPhone = Original and 3G, 3GS
iPhone Retina (3.5-inch) = 4 and 4S
iPhone Retina (4-inch) = 5 and 5C
iPhone Retina (4-inch 64-bit) = 5S
iPad = Original and 2
iPad Retina = 3rd and 4th gen, Mini
iPad Retina (64-bit) = Air

TBH, Android's SDK is a fucking joke. Their IDE (Eclipse) is awful, the emulators run like garbage, their configurations are all over the place, and there isn't any reliably unified repository of device profiles to pull from. There's a reason my App has been out for three years on iOS and getting periodic updates, and I've yet to publish even an initial release for Android. :)

If you're looking to do something cross-platform, look into middleware like Marmalade (madewithmarmalade.com) or Corona (coronalabs.com). Marmalade is actually offering their "Community License" for free right now as a GDC related promotion.

Alts

This isn't quite correct. You can run your code on iOS simulators, but they do not at all attempt to model the device/environment. They are simulators, not emulators. You have access to all of the resources of the host computer. In fact, the reason the Android emulator performs as poorly as it does is because it's a true emulator. If your concern is about performance, you can really only determine that on-device.

Blizzard

Banned
I know it may be difficult to comment on the sprites I have been posting since I have not mentioned much about my game. Any comments are appreciated though, including gut reactions like "The style is horrible, I hate those pixels with the strength of a thousand suns".

The game is turn-based overhead strategy, and I am aiming for a similar visual style to the older Advance Wars games. For reference, GBA Advance Wars:
advance-wars-screenshmnsnx.jpg

I was just now mocking up how obstacles might look. I want to have tiles where it is clear at a glance that you cannot drive your land units. The obvious options I seem to have are as follows:
tile_overlap2sks5u.png

• Top left, I could make obstacles take two vertical tiles. Downside: It restricts how you lay maps out, and can look kind of silly to have very wide obstacles like this.
  • Bottom left, obstacle completely within a tile. Downside: It looks either short or thin depending on how you make the division.
  • Top right, Advance Wars style where units are always drawn on top (in Advance Wars, infantry can climb mountains). Downside: Units look like they are sitting on TOP of obstacles instead of above them.
  • Bottom right, obstacle tile overlaps units in the next higher row. Downside, I still want units to be recognizable, and I was not planning on allowing the map to rotate. Obstacles could cover too much of the units above. Maybe units are recognizable enough, or maybe I could allow rotation?

Any opinions on how to make this look natural and clear at a glance, while units remain recognizable, would be awesome.

Blizzard

Banned
Transparent obstacles when unit is behind
Great idea. That sounds like it gives me more things to try. :p
  • Entire obstacle transparent if unit is behind it.
  • Only the overlapping portion transparent (probably would look awful, just including this for completeness).
  • Entire obstacle only transparent if the mouse/stylus moves over the obscured unit, or the unit is selected.

Feep

Banned
Great idea. That sounds like it gives me more things to try. :p
  • Only the overlapping portion transparent (probably would look awful, just including this for completeness).
  • Entire obstacle only transparent if the mouse/stylus moves over the obscured unit, or the unit is selected.
Or, perhaps, write a shader that gives a "transparent radius" around the unit. You could make the edges feathered for a nicer fade.

Popstar

A common way to do it is to draw the "shadow" of the occluded part of the object. Basically draw the object a second time with the z-test reversed, translucent grey and untextured.

Bollocks

What's your PC's "Big 3" setup? I've got GTX 670, 2600k, 16GB ram. Don't have UE4 but will try it eventually. I've read it takes a lot more power just for minimal tasks than Unity. I've read the opposite too. I'm waiting for much better GPU generation before upgrading though.

Nah my specs are shit, It was a stock pc. CPU is X4 640, graphics card I don't even know.
I don't do PC gaming so I didn't care about the specs too much about back then, I only use it for programming but with UE4 I might have to jump back into the game.
If I upgrade it's gonna be Intel/GeForce combo.
I already upped the RAM and installed a SSD last year but I don't feel like spending any more money on that old rig.

NaviLink

Apple is pretty quick to take down legacy simulators, but you can currently run it as a variety of devices with either the latest iOS (7.1) or iOS 6.0. This is a screen grab of the available devices in the current SDK:

iOS_Devices.png

I believe they equate to the following:

iPhone = Original and 3G, 3GS
iPhone Retina (3.5-inch) = 4 and 4S
iPhone Retina (4-inch) = 5 and 5C
iPhone Retina (4-inch 64-bit) = 5S
iPad = Original and 2
iPad Retina = 3rd and 4th gen, Mini
iPad Retina (64-bit) = Air

TBH, Android's SDK is a fucking joke. Their IDE (Eclipse) is awful, the emulators run like garbage, their configurations are all over the place, and there isn't any reliably unified repository of device profiles to pull from. There's a reason my App has been out for three years on iOS and getting periodic updates, and I've yet to publish even an initial release for Android. :)

If you're looking to do something cross-platform, look into middleware like Marmalade (madewithmarmalade.com) or Corona (coronalabs.com). Marmalade is actually offering their "Community License" for free right now as a GDC related promotion.

Thanks for all the info, very nice of you. I'm not a developer though, but I've done QA on games for quite some time but never on smartphones. So I was just curious to know how it's done. I have a better picture of that now.

This isn't quite correct. You can run your code on iOS simulators, but they do not at all attempt to model the device/environment. They are simulators, not emulators. You have access to all of the resources of the host computer. In fact, the reason the Android emulator performs as poorly as it does is because it's a true emulator. If your concern is about performance, you can really only determine that on-device.

Thanks for the clarification. So even if you can test in a simulator, you still have to test on the target device anyway.

If you can't borrow devices from friends and family, or can't buy them all, are there companies that rent smartphones and tablets? I wonder if it's a business that exists, I have no idea.

amanset

Yeah, I use a MacBook Pro from 2010. I was all into giving UE a go until i read about the requirements. I guess I'll be sticking with Unity for the time being. Well, unless I want to start using my Gaming PC for development...

V_Arnold

Damn, this thread gives me hope over and over again, every time I read it.
The past months have not been kind to me when it comes to creativity, but it seems like I am back in the GAME, finally.

In addition to the one-two ongoing projects that are a bit more complex and more long-term, I came up with an idea that keeps me awake at night. I will share the details with you once I make a basic gameplay demo of it.

ZehDon

Gold Member
A common way to do it is to draw the "shadow" of the occluded part of the object. Basically draw the object a second time with the z-test reversed, translucent grey and untextured.
Yeah, it's a good look for certain games, and gives the player all the info they need without being confusing.
torchlight_silhouette.png

It all depends on the final visual style of the game, though. I tried it in a couple of my projects, and in some cases it just felt out of place. Compared to the rest of the low-key visuals and effects, it felt a little too... fancy? But, the only way to really know is to try it.

This is actually what I used in a similar situation, though it only changed alpha if the unit was selected or highlighted. I found that it just removed all possible confusion, and added a little depth to the scene.

Got another screen from Skullforge. I think this one turned out pretty well.
That's coming along nicely. What are using to make this?

Tonidayo

Fanstic stuff here. Which of these Softwares would you advise a total beginner or one with no knowledge on coding experience willing to do everything on game designed to be a man named on ios and possible later see a migration to Android devices.

Tonidayo

Goodness, my humble thanks for the immediate response! Thank you for the advice, and personally would you advise a beginner today to use these little-or-no coding knowledge Softwares or actually take on the dive and start to learn coding?

Goodness, my humble thanks for the immediate response! Thank you for the advice, and personally would you advise a beginner today to use these little-or-no coding knowledge Softwares or actually take on the dive and start to learn coding?

I see now you edited your post a bit. Not sure how the two engines are with exporting to those devices. They probably support it, but I don't know whether you need to buy something or not.

Learning some coding doesn't hurt, and for Gamemaker you will eventually need it.

Also, what they use is basically visual programming.

Many people would recommend very different approaches into learning programming, but I think Codecademy is nice enough:

http://www.codecademy.com/

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the feedback on object occlusion! I agree the X-ray look might look a little weird with this sort of style, though I might try to mock it up in a paint tool out of curiosity.

Zaptruder

Banned
Yeah, it's a good look for certain games, and gives the player all the info they need without being confusing.
torchlight_silhouette.png

It all depends on the final visual style of the game, though. I tried it in a couple of my projects, and in some cases it just felt out of place. Compared to the rest of the low-key visuals and effects, it felt a little too... fancy? But, the only way to really know is to try it.

This is actually what I used in a similar situation, though it only changed alpha if the unit was selected or highlighted. I found that it just removed all possible confusion, and added a little depth to the scene.

If it's too fancy, draw the silhouette?

ZehDon

Gold Member
Fanstic stuff here. Which of these Softwares would you advise a total beginner or one with no knowledge on coding experience willing to do everything on game designed to be a man named on ios and possible later see a migration to Android devices.
If you want to just get something on the screen fast and easy, GameMaker is probably the easiest recommendation. You'll be up and running in no time. However, without digging into the nuts and bolts of the code, you'll also be pretty limited in what you can do.

If you want to go a bit further, and walk the middle line between "easy to learn, yet powerful and educational", I would suggest something more like C# and MonoGame. MonoGame is a free open source version of Microsoft's XNA framework, which was built for first time, zero experience amateur game developers. MonoGame is designed to work on iOS and Android, as well as just about everything else you'd wanna develop for.
Think of it as a tool box that has tools to make everything really really easy. I use this combination myself, (shameless self promotion ahead!) if you wanna see what a fellow zero-experience first-time-developer can do with it, check out my website.
Anyway, as it's still coding based, a lot of what you'll learn will carry over if you ever decide to go with something more "professional", such as C++ or lower level engines.

FWIW, I recommend learning some coding, and not relying on the visual editors. Coding something yourself is a terrific accomplishment, but it's more than that - understanding how things work, and how to manipulate that, allows you to build more interesting games. It's frustrating, painful and downright rage-inducing at times, but the pay off is well worth it in my opinion. But, it all depends on how far down that rabbit hole you want to go.

If it's too fancy, draw the silhouette?
Oops, sorry, I probably wasn't terribly clear in my post. That picture is from "Torchlight 2", I didn't have anything to do with that. My projects were actually sprite-based, and in them I was drawing the silhouette, not the z-buffer like in the picture. The issue was that it was the only instance in the game of a more "advanced" graphical effect. When the player walked behind an object, and their silhouette showed through, it didn't suit the art-style. It made my testers ask "When where the effects being added to everything else?" Subverting player expectation like that is never a good thing, in my experience, so I removed the effect and went with a low-tech alpha change, which suited the art-style much better.

EDarkness

Using Unity. I feel like we've gotten better using it, but it's taken a while to get the hang of creating levels and such. I'm just happy things seem to be working out pretty well. I hope it's the same for everyone else. :)

Hey I'm trying to find a tutorial on how to make a beat em up game (like Castle Crashers/Final Fight) in unity. Could someone push me into the right direction? Thanks!

I see now you edited your post a bit. Not sure how the two engines are with exporting to those devices. They probably support it, but I don't know whether you need to buy something or not.

Learning some coding doesn't hurt, and for Gamemaker you will eventually need it.

Also, what they use is basically visual programming.

Many people would recommend very different approaches into learning programming, but I think Codecademy is nice enough:

http://www.codecademy.com/

Woh this is really cool! Thanks!

Hey I'm trying to find a tutorial on how to make a beat em up game (like Castle Crashers/Final Fight) in unity. Could someone push me into the right direction? Thanks!

That is something pretty specific which I doubt you are going to find a tutorial for. You need to do it step by step. First getting something walking, then give it attacks. And when you are stuck somewhere you can search for how to implement 2D movement or something.

Instead of searching how to do a genre, search how to do systems when you get stuck at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom