• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [December] Let's talk about anything Indie!

Ugh...I'm so torn between Conquest of Elysium 4 and Dominions 4. I just can't decide which one I want more

CoE 4 is the better choice for single player and has more intimate roguelike-esque map exploration gameplay.
Dominions is just this insane sprawling 4X with crazy scale and scope. Plus the battles look cooler in 3D and you have more control over stuff like how spells are cast

CoE is probably the better choice since it's shorter and better for solo, but man, when every review and article says Dominions is one of the deepest and one of the best strategy games ever and the stories are always just jaw-dropping in their complexity and depth and chaos....it's really hard to decide between the two

Moobabe

Ugh...I'm so torn between Conquest of Elysium 4 and Dominions 4. I just can't decide which one I want more

CoE 4 is the better choice for single player and has more intimate roguelike-esque map exploration gameplay.
Dominions is just this insane sprawling 4X with crazy scale and scope. Plus the battles look cooler in 3D and you have more control over stuff like how spells are cast

CoE is probably the better choice since it's shorter and better for solo, but man, when every review and article says Dominions is one of the deepest and one of the best strategy games ever and the stories are always just jaw-dropping in their complexity and depth and chaos....it's really hard to decide between the two

I couldn't choose either - just cast a quick eye over them to see if I could help. No luck. I guess it's all down to you man.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Merry Christmas Indie peeps.

And I'm done with this sale
- Sublevel Zero (going to have to update my GOTY list with this, it's so good)
- The Magic Circle
- Conquest of Elysium 4
- Odallus: The Dark Call
- Aaru's Awakening

Scary stuff happening at the moment. It is very worrying and my heart goes out to anyone in indieGAF majorly effected by this madness. I was gonna write a post listing all the wonderful things I got on steam on the sale so far and xmas gifts but I'm not entering my steam account for now.

Merry Christmas anyway.

It's still in Early Access.

Ahh, you are right. Unsure how I got this idea but I must have got it into my head that that game had been released fully some time this year. Rather glad to hear that I was wrong though, my InDGOTY list is getting fairly long so any reason to strike off something is good news.

Man, this is crazy. Thankfully I only use pre-paid visa gift cards and never linked bank or actual credit card info to Steam. I unlinked Paypal, changed my password, logged out of Steam,

And thankfully, most of the new games I bought can be played without needing to log into the client.

Nabs

Anyone here play Finding Teddy 2? I've been waiting for a decent deal to check it out, and was wondering if it was worth my time. It's currently $5 on IGS with code: ADVENTCAL

So the dev of NEO Scavenger is working on a space game. I reached out yesterday for some more details, so probably will have more info over the weekend

It's still pretty early in development, but after how fantastic NEO Scavenger was, I'm 100% there day 1 for whatever he releases next

Oh, and he's also porting NEO Scavenger to mobile

screenshot-2015-09-15.jpg

vqeoYj2.gif

Tharsis - January 2016 (PC, Mac, PS4)
4iB9VDd.jpg

http://totallychoice.com/games/tharsis

Tharsis is a turn-based space strategy game. With dice. And cannibalism. It puts you in control of humanity’s first manned mission to Mars, just as it’s struck by a micrometeoroid storm. You must guide your crew through disasters, food shortages, and the unforgiving nature of space — all while maintaining your sanity amidst cryptic signals and warnings from Mars.
Defy the odds, make the difficult decisions, and embark on the most important mission in human history.

Moobabe

And I'm done with this sale
- Sublevel Zero (going to have to update my GOTY list with this, it's so good)
- The Magic Circle
- Conquest of Elysium 4
- Odallus: The Dark Call
- Aaru's Awakening

So far my haul is:

Battlefield 4: Premium
Dark Souls 2: SOTFS
Satellite Reign
NEON STRUCT
Trails in the Sky (one of them, can never remember which is which)

I think I'm done? Unless something comes up that I didn't notice previously

Nabs

I went with Undertale, STASIS, and Finding Teddy 2.

Finding Teddy 2 being nothing like the first game is blowing my mind.

Snow Horse thread
It's really disappointing that people have that kind of reaction nowadays, that a game is "Youtube bait." Silly, ridiculous games have been around long before Let's Plays took off. Octodad, QWOP, countless Digipen student projects, game jam entries, and freeware/flash games

This mindset that a game was made to be "YouTube bait" is just really disingenuous and insulting to developers

In truth, it's the other way around. It's not that the games are made for Youtubers; it's that LPer's gravitate towards games like that because they're weird, and silly, and look funny

The best game that almost no one has heard of - aka Factorio - is finally, at long last, coming to Steam on February 25th
We have been pushing the stem release forward for a pretty long time, but we finally have a definitive release date of Factorio on steam. The date is 25. February, exactly 2 months from now. We planned it to be in January, but we have found out, that we have to provide the Factorio package one month before the release to steam for inspection, and we need some extra time to solve all the little problems in 0.12 release. We also need to prepare the campaign and finish the trailers, so it is all done right.

Fantasiam - PC
CXK2nqQWAAIvqWT.jpg

http://www.fantasiamgame.com/

An RPG set in Slavic mythology with focus on puzzles and exploration!

Monarch Black - 2016 (PC, Mac, Linux
ChubbyShowyCornsnake.gif

http://www.mirrorfishmedia.com/v1/tag/monarch-black/

In Monarch Black, players become a butterfly to explore ever changing abstract environments and do battle with swarms of laser firing insects. Fly un-constrained through drowned cities and snowy forests to find glowing pollen grains. As you progress you'll unlock new weapons and capabilities to evolve your avatar and fly deeper into this strange and beautiful world. Because the levels and power ups are randomly generated, no two play throughs are exactly the same.

Previously Mentioned

Stranger on the 103rd Floor - Plus another method to get to the terminal

Udon Dreams

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone heard of or played StratO?
e233a4_d80429887f0a44e1aff8fa62f18e97be.gif
e233a4_4c63c6cde52d44c9b4cf3ab21b2f67c6.gif

Yeah, that game is hardcore stuff. Took me a few tries to understand how it needs to be played+ but its crazy frantic, the gif makes it seem still rather tame. Its fun, but not necessarily overwhelmingly great as its still rather basic. If you like twitch games, that game is worth checking out, though.

Hey M_B, if you don't mind me being a little nosy here, how are you getting on with Conquest of Elysium 4? Your posts about it inspired me to buy it and now having played both it and Dominions I think you made the right choice by going for it. It is a far more relatively accessible game for solo play (although oddly enough lacks the better tutorial/introduction mode that Dominions 4 has). I'm rather enjoying it although my knowledge of illwinters previous games meant that I sunk into the systems fairly quickly and I wonder if it might be more of a nightmare for a new player.

Hey M_B, if you don't mind me being a little nosy here, how are you getting on with Conquest of Elysium 4? Your posts about it inspired me to buy it and now having played both it and Dominions I think you made the right choice by going for it. It is a far more relatively accessible game for solo play (although oddly enough lacks the better tutorial/introduction mode that Dominions 4 has). I'm rather enjoying it although my knowledge of illwinters previous games meant that I sunk into the systems fairly quickly and I wonder if it might be more of a nightmare for a new player.
Actually, havent started playing it yet. Been into Sublevel Zero and The Magic Circle atm. Reading through 4's manual, though, I got the same feeling I got when I tried Dwarf Fortress for the first time...

But talking about The Magic Circle, that game is awesome. It's weird and quirky, and the premise and core concept is fascinating.

Balthuk

But talking about The Magic Circle, that game is awesome. It's weird and quirky, and the premise and core concept is fascinating.

How is the gameplay side of it? I played the demo and while the story/concept side of it was very interesting, the actual gameplay didn't grab me. How is the actual game?

How is the gameplay side of it? I played the demo and while the story/concept side of it was very interesting, the actual gameplay didn't grab me. How is the actual game?
It's a creative freeform puzzler. The more enemies and such you encounter, the more attributes you gather, so then you can edit and manipulate your "pets" and enemies to solve puzzles in new ways. There's a slight RTS element too, since you set waypoints for your followers

Balthuk

It's a creative freeform puzzler. The more enemies and such encounter, the more attributes you gather, so then you can edit and manipulate your "pets" and enemies to solve puzzles in new ways. There's a slight RTS element too, since you set waypoints for your followers

Hmm, this sounds interesting. In theory, this is something that I should dig. Is it any similar to Hack 'n' Slash if anyone has played that? Since I own it, maybe I can play that one first and see how it goes.

Toma

Hmm, this sounds interesting. In theory, this is something that I should dig. Is it any similar to Hack 'n' Slash if anyone has played that? Since I own it, maybe I can play that one first and see how it goes.
Not comparable at all, Hack n slash is a rather standard action adventure with an interesting theme but never allows you to create anything out of the ordinary. Despite the theme being "you are the one", the mechanics dont follow suit, wheras magic circle really feels like throwing stufftogether andbeing your own master.

Moobabe

Speaking of stuff that's awesome that I should have played sooner - Satellite Reign is really cool.

I was expecting something akin to XCOM - but this has way more going on. It's not turn based and has some free form RPG elements in it.

You can collect money, hit banks, build up your business and do all kinds of side objectives in a big, sprawling city with citizens walking around, police, cars, cameras and companies.

I'll sink a bit more time into it tonight - but so far so good.

Balthuk

Not comparable at all, Hack n slash is a rather standard action adventure with an interesting theme but never allows you to create anything out of the ordinary. Despite the theme being "you are the one", the mechanics dont follow suit, wheras magic circle really feels like throwing stufftogether andbeing your own master.

Ok, wishlisted , thanks a lot. Thanks for this whole thread actually.

Toma

Okay, so 2 things:

1. Check out "A Pixel Story" on Steam. Currently 50% off for 5 bucks or so. Incredibly charming platformer that has good chances of landing in my GOTY list as a late entry. It reminds me a bit of Full Bore with its open world puzzle design and the charme/style of the animations.

2. If I forced you to play Cubesis and you liked it, please consider leaving a steam review as its highly annoying that the Steam reviews for it are stuck on "mixed" due to people stopping to play after 5 minutes because of a tutorial. If I didnt get you to play it yet, let me know and send me a PM with your email address, so I can buy you a copy in return for some impressions and possibly (if you like it) a steam review. You can read more about it here: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809833
Please only ask for a key if you intend to play it soonish and you like what you read in that thread.

Alternatively, just buy it yourself because its only 1 buck you cheapos. :p

nbraun80

Okay, so 2 things:

1. Check out "A Pixel Story" on Steam. Currently 50% off for 5 bucks or so. Incredibly charming platformer that has good chances of landing in my GOTY list as a late entry. It reminds me a bit of Full Bore with its open world puzzle design and the charme/style of the animations.

2. If I forced you to play Cubesis and you liked it, please consider leaving a steam review as its highly annoying that the Steam reviews for it are stuck on "mixed" due to people stopping to play after 5 minutes because of a tutorial. If I didnt get you to play it yet, let me know and send me a PM with your email address, so I can buy you a copy in return for some impressions and possibly (if you like it) a steam review. You can read more about it here: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809833
Please only ask for a key if you intend to play it soonish and you like what you read in that thread.

Alternatively, just buy it yourself because its only 1 buck you cheapos. :p
Glad I was able to remind ya of A Pixel Story in the other thread, glad I picked it up. Also did my part, got Cubesis, got through the tutorial and a few missions into the campaign and put up positive a review on my thoughts on it. I really don't think most of the negative reviews paid attention to the tutorial(in fact one guys sole complaint was he was forced to play a tutorial lol). I kinda went over the core concepts like your people being your main 'resource', and pleases the gods to change he terrain. Hopefully it helps someone done the road understand that it's a fun, unique strategy/puzzle game that just requires some thinking. Looking forward to finishing it.

Seriously, am I the only one here including Duskers in their GOTY list? You guys are missing out

And have you checked out Soma yet, Toma?

Toma

Duskers isn't released yet, bruh.

Early Access games are valid for the GOTY list here as well. If there is an Early Access game that managed to trump full releases for you, I dont see why it shouldnt be included.

And no, Soma was still actually on my to do list. Maybe I'll get to it still. I tried Duskers though way back when we featured it but wasnt impressed. Did they add a lot?

Purkake4

Banned
Early Access games are valid for the GOTY list here as well. If there is an Early Access game that managed to trump full releases for you, I dont see why it shouldnt be included.

And no, Soma was still actually on my to do list. Maybe I'll get to it still. I tried Duskers though way back when we featured it but wasnt impressed. Did they add a lot?
Ookay, so will we be able to list it again once it's actually released? An EA game is a bit of a moving target.

Toma

Ookay, so will we be able to list it again once it's actually released? An EA game is a bit of a moving target.

That was the way we handled it before, but we just changed the rule to:
EA games can be included again if they hit full release, unless they already were featured in a previous Indie GOTY list.

You sure it was Duskers? Just checked those threads and you never posted impressions, and you don't have it in your Steam library

Toma

You sure it was Duskers? Just checked those threads and you never posted impressions, and you don't have it in your Steam library

Hm, might be misremembering it, yeah. But its a bit too expensive to check out right now ($20) and its not on sale either apparently, so tough luck Duskers :p
Too many games!

Toma

Pylon will definitely include it. Definitely. 100%.

I wouldnt mind if Pylon would add his list to the pile. Not sure where he is currently though, havent seen him here lately.

Moobabe

I wouldnt mind if Pylon would add his list to the pile. Not sure where he is currently though, havent seen him here lately.

He's always out there. Watching - I'll drop him a message see if he's got a bit of time to compile a list for us.

squall23

Are there any good indie beat 'em ups? I don't mean something like Elysian where it's about precision combo making like DMC or Bayonetta, I'm talking about "mash button for awesome combo" like Final Fight.

2D or 3D is fine and preferably only an action game and not a platformer or adventure hybrid.

Toma

Are there any good indie beat 'em ups? I don't mean something like Elysian where it's about precision combo making like DMC or Bayonetta, I'm talking about "mash button for awesome combo" like Final Fight.

2D or 3D is fine and preferably only an action game and not a platformer or adventure hybrid.

One Finger Death Punch might be good for the "awesome combo"-thing:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/264200/

Requires some timing with your button mashing though.

nbraun80

Castle Crashers, Guacamelee, Double Dragon: Neon

Currently a free alpha demo ATM, but you might like to try We Shall Wake
http://www.weshallwake.com/

Also Wishmere (currently on Early Access)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/419020/
lGIsj7q.gif

Top Bottom