• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [December] Let's talk about anything Indie!

Moobabe

I may have to edit mine after having played some games on the last day, including Her Story. Still haven't finished it but my mind is full of theories right now, just hope I can discover the mystery before the weekend ends and I have to go back to my new routine.

Playing at (almost) at launch was such a great feeling. Being part of the spoilers thread as it went back and forth was a super unique experience.

Don't go into it until you're done.

Playing at (almost) at launch was such a great feeling. Being part of the spoilers thread as it went back and forth was a super unique experience.

Don't go into it until you're done.

I'm not touching that thread and I was able to avoid all spoilers about the game until now, just like I'm still avoiding The Force Awakens spoilers.

Just played the Thumper demo at Best Buy. Holy shit, it just might be the most visually spectacular game I've played in a long time. As in each moment is a wild gorgeous spectacle of color and movement and sound.

So no one else here is playing Helldivers on PC? I think it might just surpass Rocket League as my favorite multiplayer experience.

Moobabe

So no one else here is playing Helldivers on PC? I think it might just surpass Rocket League as my favorite multiplayer experience.

I played a bunch on PS4 at launch - it's a great game! I didn't have any mates to play with though so I spent a lot of time with randoms online, but even then it was a lot of fun.

Can't get enough Helldivers. It's very very rare for me to get into multiplayer games. Even Rocket League, which I really enjoy, I don't play it that much because I tend to miss the ball more than I make a goal

But Helldivers, I can drop into a game and boom, instant awesome co-op action, where you level up fast, and even if you're a low rank, you still can be effective and turn the tide of a battle.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I voiced my rather negative opinion on DoubleFine and their funding ventures in the past, but this is really something you might want to watch on DFs current crowd funding project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFX0f_YUn1I&feature=youtu.be

I suppose this mostly concerns people who "invest" (500$+) in the game and I hope no one here did, but man, is this all shitty.

Also: That guy apparently has some ties to the gamergate fiasco, but I only care about the stuff presented here.

Moobabe

I voiced my rather negative opinion on DoubleFine and their funding ventures in the past, but this is really something you might want to watch on DFs current crowd funding project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFX0f_YUn1I&feature=youtu.be

I suppose this mostly concerns people who "invest" (500$+) in the game and I hope no one here did, but man, is this all shitty.

Also: That guy apparently has some ties to the gamergate fiasco, but I only care about the stuff presented here.

I can't watch it now (at work) but given their track record recently I am not surprised by anything.

You are a good person. I really hope GAF picks up on this one. The first game impressed the hell out of me.
Yeah, the new one looks really impressive. And no one should be complaining about visuals this time

XXEf6T3.gif

Wozman23

I posted my rationale in the Psychonauts thread last night after watching this. While a lot of the video is preying on the worst case scenarios and 'corporations are bad mentality,' it does have some validity. My heart really wanted to invest, but I just don't think the risk is worth the reward, especially considering all that has changed in gaming since 2005.

The general public doesn't support cartoony action platformers anymore. Those of us that do care are a dying breed. The few similar under-performing releases like Tearaway and Puppeteer prove that. Plus the vast majority of those digital sales, which make up the majority of the originals sales figures, are cheap impulse buys mainly purchases through Humble Bundles or the rise of Steam long after the game released. I don't think that's in anyway indicative of the demand for a sequel, and many of those sales may not even be there the second time around.

I played with the numbers on fig a lot, and while I'm in no way shape or form a businessman or savvy investor, my head had to overrule my heart. More power to anyone who wants to take that risk. I'd love nothing more than to see Psychonauts return as a success that makes everyone a nice chunk of change. I just don't see it happening.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I posted my rationale in the Psychonauts thread last night after watching this. While a lot of the video is preying on the worst case scenarios and 'corporations are bad mentality,' it does have some validity. My heart really wanted to invest, but I just don't think the risk is worth the reward, especially considering all that has changed in gaming since 2005.

The general public doesn't support cartoony action platformers anymore. Those of us that do care are a dying breed. The few similar under-performing releases like Tearaway and Puppeteer prove that. Plus the vast majority of those digital sales, which make up the majority of the originals sales figures, are cheap impulse buys mainly purchases through Humble Bundles or the rise of Steam long after the game released. I don't think that's in anyway indicative of the demand for a sequel, and many of those sales may not even be there the second time around.

I played with the numbers on fig a lot, and while I'm in no way shape or form a businessman or savvy investor, my head had to overrule my heart. More power to anyone who wants to take that risk. I'd love nothing more than to see Psychonauts return as a success that makes everyone a nice chunk of change. I just don't see it happening.

Yeah, me neither and I have quite a bit of a problem with how they portray themselves in this case, especially in regards to their previous funding ventures. DF has absolutely no track record of being able to handle a substantial amount of money and create a working business plan or even spending money in a reasonable fashion.

I was considering the funding option as well, but the way they market and portray it in their calculator is just grossly wrong and misinforming at least, and maliciously misleading at worst.

DF so far always put out their games, but that model opens up the questions of their own financial credibility more than ever. If they need to dump a few million more into the product (which doesnt seem unlikely), that is money detracted from the potential revenue stream as well, which they of course do not mention anywhere.

Interesting to see someone actually dig up the SEC documentation on Fig. I knew Fig was multiple holding companies which implied a potential volatile situation on the investments. But I didn't know just how volatile the situation had the potential to become and seeing the company itself admit that it is highly at risk of collapsing in on itself is both interesting and terrifying. If that investment does go sour I hope no one loses out too much.

Top Bottom