• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2016 [January] New Year, New Games, New Discussions

Wozman23

Screenshot Saturday (on Slow-to-post Sunday):

Fulcrum (previously mentioned) is starting to get some Fract OSC influences.

It now has caves:
2016.01.07.cavetests.gif

tumblr
Press Kit

Door Kickers 2: Task Force North - Late 2016 (PC, Mac, Linux)
dk2_early_wip-591x350.jpg

http://inthekillhouse.com/door-kickers-2-announced/

The sequel to the critic and public-acclaimed Door Kickers moves the action to the Middle East and puts the player in control of military Special Operations Teams fighting an elusive Terrorist Network.
Gone are the SWAT shields and tazers, enter the beltfeds and frag grenades. Door Kickers 2 casts the player as leader of the eponymous Task Force, handling units such as the US Rangers and assets like drones to respond to threats, solve crises and hunt the enemy on his own turf.
DoorKickers2logo-675x350.png

That's...an odd comparison. What made you think of that connection?

I know originally I thought it was to but when I watched the 6-minute video I kept thinking of those ferrets/cats things that chase your character around through small sectional tubes as the ghost that chase Pac-Man around. it sort of has that same stalking feeling to it, you're trying to avoid being seen, trying to avoid packs of them...the Pacman temporary boost can temporarily slow them down..sort of like the spear

it just match up for me as a modern day Pacman with a spice of a few extra creatures

I am intrigued on how the coop multiplayer will work on Doorkickers 2. I wonder if they will give both players access to the planning stage or if it will act more like one is the mission commander while the other assumes direct control over one of the soldiers and has to follow out the plan (and inevitably improvise when it all goes tits up).

I don't know there's something that feels weird about it trying to write so formally about a game. It's more to do with the insecurities of my own writing skills. Definitely not trying to disrespect the practice or anything.

Maybe because I used more second person in this one than usual lol.

Karak

Are we considering Deadly Tower of Monsters indie? Its Atlus but its Ace Team which is pretty much indie games I have covered.

That being said. I am under embargo but interesting. VERY interesting so far.

Are we considering Deadly Tower of Monsters indie? Its Atlus but its Ace Team which is pretty much indie games I have covered.

I would. I'm pretty interested in it, but between Oxenfree, The Witness, and the Consortium kickstarter this month, my gaming budget is stretched pretty thin

Karak

I would. I'm pretty interested in it, but between Oxenfree, The Witness, and the Consortium kickstarter this month, my gaming budget is stretched pretty thin

Dude...is a friggen amazing time to be a gamer thats all I will say lol
By the way in Oxenfree I never did see that scene you posted about.

Screenshot Saturday (on Slow-to-post Sunday):

Fulcrum (previously mentioned) is starting to get some Fract OSC influences.

It now has caves:

tumblr
Press Kit
Game is really coming together. Loved the look of Fract, and can't wait to speed through these worlds

Dude...is a friggen amazing time to be a gamer thats all I will say lol
By the way in Oxenfree I never did see that scene you posted about.
Yeah, these first two months of 2016 are insane. And don't forget Unravel and Firewatch are coming in February

Another game I'm highly anticipating in early 2016 is Starship Corporation
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1153247
The concept is genius. Allows for all kinds of scenarios and events without needing to worry about jarring tonal shifts or pacing issues in between.
- Power failure
- Medical emergency
- Getting boarded
- Mutiny
- Attack by special forces
- Minefield
- Alien infestation
- Collision
- Magnetic storm
- Drone attack

Consortium: The Tower is going to be the first KS I back in 2016. Any upcoming crowdfunding projects people are looking forward to?

Machiavillian (horror movie Dungeon Keeper/sim from dev of Freaking Meatbags) is next month, probably going to back that one too. Meatbags was really good

And I'm really looking forward to Fictorum, the magic and destructible environments look great. That hits KS in May

Wok

I expect to be disappointed by Unravel. The same kind of disappointment as with The Cave. Level design won't be as deep as with Braid, gameplay won't be as satisfying as with Super Meat Boy. The game will look good but feel very simple and end up being very short.

This is my opinion, based on no fact, only intuition and experience of 2D platformers these past years.

The games which ought to be good this year should be The Witness, Firewatch, SpyParty, Gorogoa and Owlboy if they get to be released, plus others that I don't remember or don't know about yet.

Moobabe

I expect to be disappointed by Unravel. The same kind of disappointment as with The Cave. Level design won't be as deep as with Braid, gameplay won't be as satisfying as with Super Meat Boy. The game will look good but feel very simple and end up being very short.

This is my opinion, based on no fact, only intuition and experience of 2D platformers these past years.

The games which ought to be good this year should be The Witness, Firewatch, SpyParty, Gorogoa and Owlboy if they get to be released, plus others that I don't remember or don't know about yet.

I'm in the same boat RE: Unravel. It screams "physics platformer" in a way that we've all seen a million times before. Yes it has the budget and backing, and I really hope it's special, but I worry that it's just going to be "ok."

Firewatch I'm excited for. Consortium's kickstarter today as well, Torment's Early Access starting this week.

I need to budget.

Moobabe

I'm already disappointed because it won't be on Steam.

That is what it is I guess - Origin is doing enough to diversify itself for me now. EA Access is cool and pretty cheap (though I'll wait for more games in the library before I consider it) and it means I can play BF, FIFA etc

Granted I'd rather use one client, but Origin isn't offensive to use any more.

I'm not that excited for Unravel too, but that is largely because I have already played Chariot; the greatest rope based platformer to grace our mortal souls.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Wait, Infinifactory released on PS4? When did that happen?

2-3 weeks ago I think? I was shortly contemplating it, but there really isnt much reason for me to replay it on PS4.

Less than an hour till the Consortium Kickstarter

---

I didn't even know Fear Equation came out last week

Fear Equation - $14.99 (PC, Mac)
fe_screenshot_00.jpg

http://fearequation.com/

Fear Equation is a turn-based horror strategy game where you play the engineer of a modified freight train, built to protect its occupants from a deadly fog that brings their nightmares to life. Survival depends on analysing passengers' dreams, crafting defenses, upgrading, scavenging and resource management.

Wait, new ACE Team game?! Looks rad, will try to give it a go.

Next r/gamedev Showcase is slated for January 29th. Already got the devs of a bunch of cool games who said they're interested: Exemplar, Bunker Punks, The Mooseman, Semispheres, and others

sheaaaa

The Aquatic Adventures of the Last Human is out (went live in the last hour or so).

Steam page is right here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/401360/

It looks to be an underwater Metroidvania with a bit of Shadow of the Colossus (huge boss fights) that's done in a beautiful pixel art style.

Launch trailer right here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqXBNoVMWi0

I hadn't even heard of this but saw a bit of chatter on Twitter and went investigating, and it looks wonderful.

Balthuk

The Aquatic Adventures of the Last Human is out (went live in the last hour or so).

Steam page is right here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/401360/

It looks to be an underwater Metroidvania with a bit of Shadow of the Colossus (huge boss fights) that's done in a beautiful pixel art style.

Launch trailer right here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqXBNoVMWi0

I hadn't even heard of this but saw a bit of chatter on Twitter and went investigating, and it looks wonderful.

If someone tries this one out, let us know, I'm interested.

SnakeLordJelly

Neo Member
I just picked up The Last Adventure of the Last Human, enjoying the atmosphere but my god is the difficult curve ridiculous. I beat the first boss just fine, but now I am getting destroyed by the next two bosses that are available to me. I have a feeling I may have missed a power up after the first boss, but now the way back is blocked off.

Moobabe

The Witness is going to be $39.99 or, because reasons, 37 euros.

£29.99 though, just seen that, outrage quelled a little.

The Witness is going to be $39.99 or, because reasons, 37 euros.

£29.99 though, just seen that, outrage quelled a little.

That is very much outside my 'impulse buy' price range and in my 'wait for reviews' price range. That said from all I have read about The Witness over the years I imagine that it might be something real special and if I am right I certainly am not against paying 30 quid for it.

Wok

That is very much outside my 'impulse buy' price range and in my 'wait for reviews' price range. That said from all I have read about The Witness over the years I imagine that it might be something real special and if I am right I certainly am not against paying 30 quid for it.

The game is in the same category as Antichamber for me: I have been following the game developement for so long that I know that I will buy it day one for whatever price.

Moobabe

I'm in the same boat - but I'm extra conscious of both my money and time at the moment.

Dragon's Dogma, Homeworld, The Witness are all over £20 - and then without spending a penny I have Darkest Dungeon out of Early Access, Life is Strange is untouched, Undertale.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alright, calculating the results now.

Toma

I cant believe 2013 was so crazy that Underrail didnt hit my Top 20 and therefore is eligible again this year.

Toma

...I forgot how long that takes. Tomabot needs an upgrade for next year.

SnakeLordJelly

Neo Member
I really don't get why people are upset about The Witness' price, it's the same price as the Talos Principle was on release and I dear say The Witness has more content.

Top Bottom