• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [April] Now Voting - Post 635!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Death Inc. after the failed Kickstarter it turned back to a more traditional Alpha funding system and after playing the alpha build I can say that this game has great potential to become great. Still some pathfinding issues, and I feel there should be an easier/quicker way to select different "units", but there's already a glimpse of great fun in there. Go check it out!

NuQM2sa.jpg

Buy from here

Thanks for the heads up! Could you explain a bit how the game actually plays and why its something to spend 10$ on?

Corto

Thanks for the heads up! Could you explain a bit how the game actually plays and why its something to spend 10$ on?

It's a bit of God game/pikmin like where we are Death spreading the plague through the populace. There are different units: common people (easy to infect but weak, strength in numbers), archers (ranged attack, weak on direct confrontation), common soldiers (armored units great for direct confrontation) and some big soldiers that I forgot the name that work as tanks. The objective is to infect enough people/units in the level to invade the nobleman castle and destroy him collecting all the souls. We also have access to special powers with area of effect to help with the spreading of the disease, pigeon plague airstrike hehehe and rats. Something that made me laugh was the cows that we can infect and then use them as plague bombs. We direct them to healthy people, they start fighting them off and they explode spreading a cloud of plague. I feel that the final game will be well worth the $10, but who knows they can still fumble it through the dev process. I have high hopes for this game though. Ah and the art is great too.

Hofmann

No one is bored enough to take the screenshot saturday posts off of me, right? I really would love to keep them, but they cost around 2-3 hours each week.

What exactly is screenshot saturaday - some unknown devs post new screens from their games on this page, or is it something else?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What exactly is screenshot saturaday - some unknown devs post new screens from their games on this page, or is it something else?

Thats the page where you find the collected ones, but people just tweet a picture of their game in development on saturdays and put the tag "screenshotsaturday" on it. I'd hate to drop it since I found quite a few interesting looking games for the "future" section through the SS posts. I havent done last weeks yet either:
http://screenshotsaturday.com/week127.html

And then you simply take the layout of the old posts and decide what looks interesting (in a broad sense) and what doesnt and add 6 games per post.

Bleh Example:

Interesting Example:

The difficult part is hunting down the tweets and the websites linked in the twitter profile to find out how the game is called and, remotely, what its about. Its a bit of detective work, so I cant blame you guys for not wanting to do it. But IF someone is interested, let me know, so that we dont do the same SS week at the same time. I might do one later tonight, since I havent added this weeks or last weeks yet.

Hofmann

The difficult part is hunting down the tweets and the websites linked in the twitter profile to find out how the game is called and, remotely, what its about. Its a bit of detective work, so I cant blame you guys for not wanting to do it. But IF someone is interested, let me know, so that we dont do the same SS week at the same time. I might do one later tonight, since I havent added this weeks or last weeks yet.

Ok, I'll take a look and try to find something interesting.

Toma

Most of todays Screenshot Saturday Update is presented to you by Hofmann (which is much appreciated! Just ask him, he now knows how much time goes into this)

Part 1:

Icefishing V - Interactive representation of a noise/glitch/drone music, shaped into a exploratory type of game.
F2XhiZV.jpg

Courier - Zelda inspired adventure about life of a courier?
BHydYeJCAAEJ4gq.png:large

? - From the dev who made Perspective and Nous.
BHyTBCNCIAEj2q2.png:large

Lune - Announcement trailer from the game where you control the moon. I reminds me a bit of Pavilion, where your character acts on his own. Worth keeping an eye on it.
BHxCm8kCEAA9MjM.png:large

? - Maybe another one inspired by Antichamber, Kairo or FRACT OSC?
BHupJEfCAAAYVgT.png:large

Traversia - Metroidvania ''with a heavy focus on exploration, ambiance, and atmosphere. You play as an older man who's on a "space vacation," when his ship malfunctions and crash lands on an uncharted planet, scattering the parts across it. You must find food and water to survive, solve puzzles, and not get killed, while traversing the expansive world around you, in search of your ship parts.''.
OBHguZm.png

Hofmann

Most of todays Screenshot Saturday Update is presented to you by Hofmann (which is much appreciated! Just ask him, he now knows how much time goes into this)

Yeah, it took me 3/4 hours to browse through all those games, but it was wort the time I put into it, because I found some cool ones in the process.

Toma

Part 2:

? - Weird adventure through the pencil shaded world.
BHxHzGRCUAEeVNv.png:large

Indie Game Story - Have you ever wanted to make games? Now you have a chance to follow your dreams in this indie sudio simulation.
or8sOoh.gif

Solstice - Mystery fairy tale about consequences of your choices with two protagonists at you disposal, each one having different goals.
BHuwkmACAAAdVwy.jpg:large

The Last Crown: Haunting of Hallowed Isle - Sequel to the 2007 ghost hunting Point n Click.
BHuVwTgCQAA5kta.jpg:large

Signs of Life - One of those survival sandbox experiences.
spiderbot.gif

Residue - Platform/Adventure with multiple characters to choose, set in devastated world of Aral Sea. It's a new game from the guys who made They Breathe.
BHwcANfCcAAEC0Z.png:large

Toma

Part 3:

? - No idea, but nice art.
757699424.png

Super Pole Riders - New game/remake from guy responsible for QWOP & GIRP among others
4p-SuperPoleRiders.png

? - Some dungeon exploring, roguelike Zelda mix thingie?
BHzWMTmCAAABmWr.png:large

Extrasolar - Discovering and traversing the worlds outside of our solar system - my childhood dream may finally come true.
gvch.jpg

Unlamentia - Puzzles, platforming and shooting, you have to find out which strategy is optimal for each stage.
BHulz7ACUAARirS.png:large

Kitbash - Ok, this is something for you Toma:
- a turn-based squad tactics game for PC/Mac/Linux
- X-COM meets Firefly, with a smattering of Paranoia (the RPG), Moon (the movie) and Sudoku (the logic puzzle)
- about assembling a crew of jumpsuit-wearin’ space professionals with trust issues
- full of mishaps, maladies and malfunctions
BHufHtKCAAA7YO1.jpg:large

Toma

Nice findings Hofmann! Quite a few interesting looking ones.

noffles

Banned
I thought to myself, "Hey, look! An opportunity to win a free game whilst also checking out a new one!"

1 hour later:

I'm obsessing over trying to get a better score. I can't stop.

YOU DID THIS TO ME, GAF. :c

Toma

I thought to myself, "Hey, look! An opportunity to win a free game whilst also checking out a new one!"

1 hour later:

I'm obsessing over trying to get a better score. I can't stop.

YOU DID THIS TO ME, GAF. :c

Better hurry up if you havent beaten the record yet ;) I'll close the contest soon and put up another one. Maybe tomorrow.

Hofmann

Ok, some thoughts about 18 Cadence.

Finally finished - for the lack of a better word - the story and I can easily say that it's one of the most thoughtfully constructed interactive fictions.

Most authors, of all different types of genres, not only in games, aim to provide a lot of emotional stimuli in their works as a primary goal, while forgetting about the importance of intellectual stimulation, which they ought to deliver to the consumers. In the world of interactive media this situation looks exceptionally bad. Even if you ignore conventional games, which focus mostly on euphoric sensations, such as satisfaction after defeating another enemy or after solving a difficult puzzle – you've still got this feeling, that most of those ambitious game creators not involved in this mechanism, try only to achieve something more, by expanding the range of available sensations, neglecting in the process more meaningful content than those presented in an average Soap Opera. How many times did I hear, heck, I'm the author of those opinions, that certain games evoke the feelings of empathy, sadness or melancholy - like this was the most important element in reception of an esteemed work, but what could be said about something that is not there. Don't get me wrong, but what's the point, if this is the only reason.

That's why it's so essential to bow down before this unobtrusive interactive novel and acknowledge its greatness, because it follows the path available only to a few before, such as Tale of Tales, Cardboard Computer and few others. It encourages to think and analyze, in a very accessible way. The ''game'' tells a fictional, century long, story of a house at 18 Cadence Street, from the moment it was build in 1900, up to its burning one hundred years later, which ends its life, and everything connected with this place during this period. It's about people and their interwoven fates, about a births of a new life, first loves, lost hopes, about death. How vital role in this context play physical objects of everyday use in portraying undergoing changes: massive wardrobes resistant to the flow of time, the photos leaving with the people to whom they meant anything or even flower bouquets, fleeting to the admirers, in the same way, they will in relation to a history. Things gathered in abudance anticipating the inevitable death of its owners, memories kept in a form of a collection, with each year filling the void after what's been lost, but the time is unrelenting, hundred years whispers measly, that the time will come for them too. Everything is served in a subtle way, like the period of The Great Depression, which we experience through a slowly, year to year, shrinking property. Mixing of those elements; relationships formed between The House at 18 Cadence Street and its Residents - it's a pure poetry.

We're observing it from the perspective of a researcher – house plan: the porch, living room, kitchen and two bedrooms, which intended use changes accordingly to the current needs; on the right side, previously mentioned, list of objects assigned to each of these rooms. The story focuses on passing years – each year is a one event in the life of the residents, for each room separately; sometimes they completely turnover the staus quo – like death of a loved one, but mostly they tell about less important episodes, of which everyday life consists of. But exactly, what's important and what is not? That's time for You to come in – demiurge who decides about it. It's worth pointing out about the possibility of confrontating your ideas with the stories constructed by other players, and it's actually quite fascinating to do so. Back to the topic, each of those narrative elements could be commemorated by dragging them to the lower part of the table you're working on - visually juggling with someone's life. Even though it's just a fiction - it's really weird. It needs to be remembered that the board has limited capacity, just like our perceptual abilities. If it gets too messy and we want to include something, we he have to drop something else, but we already make the choices out of snippets at our disposal. If you think about it, it's quite depressing. How will we be remembered? In the age of pervasive social networks, discussion boards, each of us has left some trace, but in the long run the memories of who we really are will be lost in informational flood. In one hundred years this brave new world might colapse under its own weight, just like the House at 18 Cadence Street, taking away digested memories of ourselves.

I think it's really worth it to find out a little more about this place. There are not too many ambitious games like this one, where we can stir in the past to see what the future might bring up and where the emotions are only one of the elements the world is build on and not the main purpose of the creation.

OK, talling up the votes and sprucing up the list of the Essential Indie Games as voted by GAF (shameless plug!) has consumed a LOT of time, but I've managed to test a few games in the days before:

Chasm

There was really no chance for me not to love this; it's a challenging, Metroidvania-like (really Castlevania SOTN-like) roguelike-like, with awesome sprite art. Controls are great, gameplay is great, visuals are great. I finished the demo and was left wanting for a lot more.

Risk of Rain

This on the other hand I didn't really like. It's much more mindless, and the respawning bullet-sponge-like enemies mean you'll be shooting most of the time, as opposed to exploring or platforming; there's WAY too much emphasis on combat, which isn't actually great to begin with. Also, the rising difficulty thing (lifted straight from GodHand) is in itself a good concept, but it's implemented really poorly here, with enemies not being more challenging but simply even more resilient, leading to incredibly boring encounters that feel like taking down a brick wall with a peashooter. I got to "Impossible" difficulty before even reaching the second stage; it was not more chanllenging, just even more boring.

Cart Life

Amazing game, simply put. The thought and humanity that goes to every detail, and particularly conversations with NPCs (both scripted and optional) is mind-boggling. Very few games have engaged me into caring for NPCs as just a few minutes of this game has. I haven't even set up shop yet!

Future Development Company

Visually charming and could grow to be a very addicting game, but has quite a lot of flaws that get in the way. The game does a bad job of explaining that, for example, laboratories drain money at the same rate that factories produce, so if you build one of each at the start (not an unreasonable proposition, right?), you're left looking at a money balance that won't ever go up (or down), and wonder why. Also, the control scheme is somewhat unfriendly; it feels like you're fighting the interface most of the time (ex. having to change to defense mode when the UFOs arrive, or the way pipes are set, or having to pick each construction element each time you set one down, which combined makes creating long pipes frustrating).

Edit: Wait, I forgot one:

Broforce

I loved this one. It's as simple as games get, and the prototype (sorry, "brototype" :) ) doesn't have a lot in the way of variety yet, but the silly, straightforward fun of (literally) leveling a stage with weapons, and the "oh look, it's [insert action hero brnockoff]" factor each time you rescue a new one, makes it very addicting and pleasant to play. It still has rough edges; it crashed a couple of times on me (funnily enough, all times when getting the B.A. Barracus homage guy) and at some point I destroyed enough scenery to not be able to continue (I wonder if they'll have to abuse indestructible blocks in the final game to avoid this). In any case, definitely recommended, loads of fun.

Awesome to see my game in there :) relatively new to the screenshotsaturday # .

Anyway this game is still very early in development and obviously just testing some map tile mockups but when its finished i want it to be a nice mix of rpg elements and super mario bros 2 (lots of coin collecting).

Tentatively called Loot Legends at this stage.

Toma

Some games of the OP that havent been mentioned much so far:

Its probably too insignificant to make a thread about it, but you guys that liked puzzle games should really check out Great Permutator (linked in the OP):

http://www.desura.com/games/great-permutator

Well made and fun little puzzle game.

Additionally, Overlight is a very fun concept as well, loved tinkering around with the demo and definitely will buy the game eventually:
http://www.desura.com/games/overlight

And Unepic is an amaaaaaaaaaaazing game. It basically plays like a non-random roguelike with witty dialogue and interesting level progression:
http://www.desura.com/games/unepic

Seriously, check out the demo.

Toma

Also: IndieGamestand offers 4 Indies for 2$ atm:
https://indiegamestand.com/

Voxatron, Jaspers Journey, Chocolate Castle, Zen Puzzle Garden.

I am buying those. Anyone want impressions?

I really need to sit down an just play Unepic, it has been sitting on my Desura account for an age now. Think I got it from a Indie Royale many years ago. After I finish Knytt Underground I might dig into it.

Also, don't want to impose more work on you Toma cos you do a hell of a lot for this thread, but I would love an impression of Voxatron. I do like my random destruction so me and voxels get on well.

Toma

Humble Indie Voxatron Bundle had the same games. Zen Puzzel Garden is perfect in my oppinion. Voxatron is fun and oldschoolhard sometimes. The rest is good but nothing really great.

I watched a video of that just now, can you play Puzzle Garden with the arrow keys? I dont know why I'd be forced to use the mouse.

Toma

I really need to sit down an just play Unepic, it has been sitting on my Desura account for an age now. Think I got it from a Indie Royale many years ago. After I finish Knytt Underground I might dig into it.

Also, don't want to impose more work on you Toma cos you do a hell of a lot for this thread, but I would love an impression of Voxatron. I do like my random destruction so me and voxels get on well.

If you already own it, it would be a shame not to. Honestly, that game actually deserves its own thread for how good it is. Might throw one up eventually. I'll try some Voxatron later :)

Nillansan

And Unepic is an amaaaaaaaaaaazing game. It basically plays like a non-random roguelike with witty dialogue and interesting level progression

I got it from the developer's site, I haven't tried yet. It has been greenlit and they are working on a co-op mode and some additional content that will be made available in conjunction with the Steam release later this year.

Toma

I got it from the developer's site, I haven't tried yet. It has been greenlit and they are working on a co-op mode and some additional content that will be made available in conjunction with the Steam release later this year.

Can you dig up the official announcement for the content they want to add?

Okay, I was trying to go no games for a year, but I decided to amend that to "5 dollars a month on games for a year."

In that vein, my game for april is claivoyance, looking forward to challenging some of you.

Toma

Okay, I was trying to go no games for a year, but I decided to amend that to "5 dollars a month on games for a year."

In that vein, my game for april is claivoyance, looking forward to challenging some of you.

You'll get a lot of hours out of this game. So many times where I thought "I'll just do a quick move" and ended up playing 2 hours if someone else was online, haha.

You'll get a lot of hours out of this game. So many times where I thought "I'll just do a quick move" and ended up playing 2 hours if someone else was online, haha.

Yea, I expect that. I've got 60 hours into frozen synapse so the whole concept just sounds too good :)

Toma

Yea, I expect that. I've got 60 hours into frozen synapse so the whole concept just sounds too good :)

Frozen Synapse is way more intricate, and I thought I'll miss the depth in Clairvoyance. But funnily enough the ease of play made up for it. Its kinda nice to only focus on the mind games without meticulously planning a move for 30 minutes. FS is still the best turn based MP videogame out there though :p

Toma

Clairvoyance is amazing.

I really wish they'd add more stuff for more crazy modes though:

I just noticed that I'd love to try a straight forward drill mechanic and to see how that affects gameplay and tactics.
Or maybe something like super moves, for which you need to "waste" an action 3 turns in a row and then you can throw a bomb 1 space farther than usually or jump 1 space higher.
Or how about a random map with random features like "no turning left allowed" and "dashes are now 1 step farther".
Other ideas?

Frozen Synapse is way more intricate, and I thought I'll miss the depth in Clairvoyance. But funnily enough the ease of play made up for it. Its kinda nice to only focus on the mind games without meticulously planning a move for 30 minutes. FS is still the best turn based MP videogame out there though :p

yea, <3 FS, but sometimes it can be exhausting.

Once I get my sea legs I'll check the thread and send out some challenges

Nillansan

Can you dig up the official announcement for the content they want to add?

Here's what the developer announced on the Greenlight page:

franfistro said:
Hello all,

I just want to thank you all. Thanks for your votes, thanks for your support and thanks to let the game be greenlighted. :)

It will take a few months until the game is released in Steam. I will need some time to:

1.- Learn and use Steam's API as much as I can (clouding, achievements, news, highscores, ...)
2.- Finish the multiplayer mode.
3.- Include native pad support.
4.- All other stuff that Steam may ask me to change.

I will do my best to give you the nicest "indie" product I can. The best of being an indie developer is that nobody forces you with an impossible deadline, therefore you can finish your game the way it must be done: with love and affection.

fran

Link

Super Pole Riders - New game/remake from the indie superstar studio, responsible for titles such as: Johann Sebastian Joust and B.U.T.T.O.N.

Uh... you are very, very wrong about everything written there.

Super Pole Riders is a game by Bennett Foddy. He made QWOP & GIRP among others.

SPORTSFRIENDS as a whole is 4 games made by 4 different developers.

Doug Wilson made JS JOUST
Ramiro Corbetta made Hokra
Noah Sasso made BaraBariBall
Bennett Foddy made Pole Riders (now becoming Super Pole Riders)

Toma

Uh... you are very, very wrong about everything written there.

Super Pole Riders is a game by Bennett Foddy. He made QWOP & GIRP among others.

SPORTSFRIENDS as a whole is 4 games made by 4 different developers.

Doug Wilson made JS JOUST
Ramiro Corbetta made Hokra
Noah Sasso made BaraBariBall
Bennett Foddy made Pole Riders (now becoming Super Pole Riders)

I didnt do these posts myself, but knowing how much time and detective work goes into these, I cant blame the person who did it.

"New game/remake from guys responsible for QWOP & GIRP among others" sounds better?

And I know the OP is probably full of mistakes too, especially in regard to missing platforms, since sometimes its not as easy to see all of them and I only have so much time to crosscheck. Feel free to drop any correction in here and I'll take care of it. I definitely wouldnt call the information I collected and presented perfect.

Ok, sorry to come off so harsh, it's just that project is near and dear to me since they are all my friends.

Though still, Bennett is only one guy. Not sure if he hired people to make Super Pole Riders with him, but I'm pretty sure Pole Riders was made by himself. So "guy" would be more appropriate.

It's always a little dismaying how much misinformation exists around these games.

Someone previewed my game a Game Informer, and wrote Sony was the publisher, when in fact I will be self publishing. But then again... my games name is out of order on a ton of sites because of one false post.

Toma

Ok, sorry to come off so harsh, it's just that project is near and dear to me since they are all my friends.

Though still, Bennett is only one guy. Not sure if he hired people to make Super Pole Riders with him, but I'm pretty sure Pole Riders was made by himself. So "guy" would be more appropriate.

It's always a little dismaying how much misinformation exists around these games.

Someone previewed my game a Game Informer, and wrote Sony was the publisher, when in fact I will be self publishing. But then again... my games name is out of order on a ton of sites because of one false post.

Changed the text, but seriously, this stuff is hard to research quickly if you go through 300 entries and is more a first view into what else there is out there to get more information on. We are working on these posts in best faith about the information we put there, but please feel free to point out any mistakes without jumping on our throats :)

Sorry about the misinformation thing, I am sure thats a big hassle for you and other smaller guys.

No doubt, I'm sure.

But at the same time I think proper accreditation is also very important, and if you can't trust your own leads... it's important to double check info, or not post it at all. I know the intent behind these threads is altruistic but if it's got wrong info in it, it's not helping to the extent that it could.. it could even be hurting.

Anyways, I didn't know where the info was coming from, etc. etc. so I'm sorry if I came off as harsh.

Carry on gents :)

Toma

No doubt, I'm sure.

But at the same time I think proper accreditation is also very important, and if you can't trust your own leads... it's important to double check info, or not post it at all. I know the intent behind these threads is altruistic but if it's got wrong info in it, it's not helping to the extent that it could.. it could even be hurting.

Anyways, I didn't know where the info was coming from, etc. etc. so I'm sorry if I came off as harsh.

Of course proper accreditation is important, but I disagree with you on us "better not posting it at all". Sometimes people see these things and can point out corrections or hunt more information themselves which helps to make more people aware of these games. If anything, I think the biggest hurdle these Indies have to overcome is awareness.

I will continue to throw bits and pieces of information/interesting stuff in here. I mean I am trying, but its not my obligation to be 100% correct. If anyone catches a mistake he is free to point it out :)

If I hadnt posted that Businessman screenshot because I didnt know the name of the game, Hofmann wouldnt have posted about the name. Now I know what the game is called that I am potentially interested in and will follow the progress of.

No doubt, I'm sure.

We aren't talking leads in a criminal investigation, it's press for little known games. Toma does great work with the OPs and is readily willing to update any errors.

If Toma just didn't include things that weren't 100% sourced, these games wouldn't get ANY press in the thread, which is much worse for the creators than having misleading credit for a few days.

Hofmann

No doubt, I'm sure.

Like SnakeswithLasers wrote it's not a criminal proceeding, we're doing this in our free time.

And mistake like this could be quite helpful, if you consider how many people visit this thread. Even though I don't play those kind of games often, I know what Johann Sebastian Joust is, so including these titles in a blurb could be a good thing from a business point of view.

Top Bottom