• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [April] Now Voting - Post 635!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Undead Legions - Top down arena shooter with tons of upgrades. Reminds me of Crimsonland, even though the artstyle is a bit crappy. Super cheap (1$), trying later.
Undead_Legions_2013-03-21_08-23-16-67.jpg

http://www.desura.com/games/undead-legions

These type of games always, always, always stumble over the legacy of the game they are trying to imitate: Crimsonland (Which is currently on Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93065738, the devs plan on adding higher resolutions and fixing some other minor annoyances if it works out.) That game was simply perfect, and even though Undead Legions is technically "working", its simply not as fun. I want a campaign with interesting level setups. I want multiple weapons. I want random effects. I want RPG elements. I want blood on the floor. Undead Legions is a competent highscoring game with serviceable controls, but its just not good enough to stand out in the huge crowd of top down arena shooters.

Zeitgeist - Puzzle game where you manipulate the rolling spheres.
Unbenannt3.png

http://www.desura.com/games/zeitgeistpuzzlegame

As I already guessed, this game got a bad rating because its really lacking decent production values. The graphics seem cluttered at first, and its a bit tricky to learn how the game actually works. There are no sounds and no other extras to speak of. There isnt even a proper campaign, only a few horribly executed (because its a wall of text, then an example which you cant influence) example missions that show you the elements of the game and then you can jump into the challenge pack.
However, its definitely a pity how much value we put onto stuff like sound etc. The game mechanics are actually surprisingly clever. You have a few tools at your disposal that you need to use on the map to alter the path of the balls. Which include switches, direction changers, blocks, teleports, other ball spawns and much more. The interaction between the different actions of the balls (think SpaceChem Waldos) is really quite intricate. The game offers an edit function at least to create and share your own level once you are done with the challenge levels. The game is free, so people interested in these kind of games definitely should check it out. Fair warning: The game definitely isnt aimed at people that need to be slowly introduced to puzzle games. The small percentage its aimed at probably enjoys tinkering around with it (I did).

Boredom - Seems to be one of those ass hard 2d platformers. But its free, so why not check it out.
screenshot102.png

http://www.desura.com/games/boredom

Yup, hard ass 2D platformer, but before you stop reading: Its worth it. I mean its free, so theres that, but its actually fun, especially due to the "narrative", which is very well integrated. I really laughed hard at a few points because the developer knew how the player would react in some cases and made comments in regard to that. On top of that, the actual gameplay is damn fun and well made too. Simple graphics, but quite imaginative game design in which the narration is an integral part of the player experience (for me it was at least). Definitely enjoyed playing it earlier, unfortunately I cant pick up where I left off, but you should definitely give it a try until you beat the first boss. (Do it! Do it!)

From Pulse - Rhythm game with included soundtrack, watch the video review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQwQogpswnk
PixelMolotov_FromPulse_4.1.jpg

http://www.desura.com/games/frompulse

Inexpensive (3 bucks?) rhythm game. This game has a neat art style, an interestingly told story, good music (a rhythm game with good music, hooray!), a good amount of polish, a free soundtrack with the purchase of the game and I overall really enjoyed the game. Only issue: Its was over way too soon. Granted, I havent beaten NG+ yet (but will do so soon), but the only reason for replays is reading the story (your highscore is tied to how much of the story you can read - cute idea) and I managed to read the whole story in every stage except 1 on my first try, so the main part took me.. 30 minutes maybe? NG+ will probably put me at 1 hour and you can extend that by beating your own highscores in 3 different speed settings. For me, the price of admission was worth it for playing a unfortunately too short, but well made rhythm game with good music and the attached free soundtrack, but I can see how it might not be worth the same for others. Damn shame though.

Endgame:Syria - Endgame Syria is a card based free interactive exploration of events unfolding in Syria today.
endgame_syria_OC02.PNG

http://www.desura.com/games/endgamesyria
http://gamethenews.net/wp-content/games/endgamesyria/

[Quick note: Desura version doesnt work for me, try the flash version web browser link]
Smart, smart. This looked like a normal card game at first with a real life background, but actually its an educational game with a pro rebel agenda in the syria conflict. The actual card game rules are rather simple. Each round is divided into two phases:
1. Support phase (where you play cards to affect the combat phase) and
2. Combat phase (where you play cards to shield yourself from the enemy attacks and try to attack yourself).
Despite having simple rules, the game is not "easy" however. You fight as the rebels and starting the game thats also how the odds are stacked. The regime (your opponent) and the rebels (you) both have a number of supporters, which basically represents your life points. Since you are the rebels, your odds are unfavorable and you have a worse starting position than the regime does. Every turn you and your opponent lose lives and its in your best interest to save as many of your own people, and "convert" the supporters of the opponent, as possible to achieve victory. The really interesting touch here, is that every card has a description of what that action means in context, educating people on the fly about actions taken by the government and groups/warfare elements that you find in syria (I havent fact checked, I simply assume its true). Smart, smart. Smart enough to deserve a small thread actually.

Draconian Wars - A well rated non-booster, non-F2P based Card game for 3 bucks:
info_screenshot.jpg

http://www.desura.com/games/draconian-wars

Weeeeeeeeee, this is a game I need to properly dive into. I am going to sink my teeeeeth into this. Its an inexpensive (3 bucks?) Collectible Card Game without ANY sort of microtransactions, which allows for free deck building, SP matches and Online play! Take that you greedy wizards of the $$$ coast! (I still love you <3). I think I read that there are currently about 150 cards in the game and they plan on adding more over time. The game in its current state is already PLENTY deep with tons of stuff to take care of and lots of different cards abilities. Other than being generally rather complex, it also has some interesting mechanics that set it apart from other trading card games: The biggest and most interesting dynamic is probably how your card library doubles as life points (attacks mean a player need to discard = losing life) and triples as the resources (tough to explain, but basically you set aside a certain number of cards each round which allows you to decide between drawing, or "using" these cards as "mana" to cast other spells). Another interesting difference would be the "flanks", which are basically 3 different fighting places that you need to take care of.
You can win cards ingame by losing or winning, but winning nets you better cards. I think my biggest gripe currently is that you can "cheat" your way into winning many low rank cards by entering and immediately conceding an SP match. But other than that this seems to be a really, really well thought out card game that I'll definitely play some more. Actually deserves a thread to be honest. I wish I knew how much the developer considers to support the game, but for that price, its so totally worth it if you know your way around TCGs.

Hofmann

Icefishing V - This was my first choice for screenshot saturday post I did last week, and what can I say - my intuition didn't fail me. Thanks to Nathan Gallardo, creator of the ''game'', I was able to check out the beta version.

It's an exploratory experience through the abstract sound driven world - according to dev it sounds like Aphex Twin, Oval, Merzbow, Lustmord, Sunn 0))), Pan Sonic, Burning Star Core, Azure Skies, Bongripper, Hey Colossus, etc. You may find similarities to games such as FRACT for example, but there're no artificial puzzles and other annoying fillers, just interaction with the surroundings - more like sound oriented Memory of a Broken Dimension. Every aspect of design plays a subordinate role to the musical one; everything reacts to your actions adding new elements to a created in real time soundscapes - even a shift key to move faster acts as some sort of fast-forward button, distorting the vision around you. Those sound bits spread like a disease filling every inch of space with a visual interpretation, and what a spectacle it is. Sometimes those kind of free exploration games are a bit boring, but here it works perfectly - last two levels just blew my mind - for a few minutes the line between the world in front of the screen and the virtual one vanished.

It's pretty short - not a complaint, just sayin' - but it already made a bigger impression on me than Antichamber, which I've started playing recently - of course they're different, but it's still quite an achievement for a first game.

Hofmann

Endgame:Syria - Endgame Syria is a card based free interactive exploration of events unfolding in Syria today.

[Quick note: Desura version doesnt work for me, try the flash version web browser link]
Smart, smart. This looked like a normal card game at first with a real life background, but actually its an educational game with a pro rebel agenda in the syria conflict. The actual card game rules are rather simple. Each round is divided into two phases:
1. Support phase (where you play cards to affect the combat phase) and
2. Combat phase (where you play cards to shield yourself from the enemy attacks and try to attack yourself).
Despite having simple rules, the game is not "easy" however. You fight as the rebels and starting the game thats also how the odds are stacked. The regime (your opponent) and the rebels (you) both have a number of supporters, which basically represents your life points. Since you are the rebels, your odds are unfavorable and you have a worse starting position than the regime does. Every turn you and your opponent lose lives and its in your best interest to save as many of your own people, and "convert" the supporters of the opponent, as possible to achieve victory. The really interesting touch here, is that every card has a description of what that action means in context, educating people on the fly about actions taken by the government and groups/warfare elements that you find in syria (I havent fact checked, I simply assume its true). Smart, smart. Smart enough to deserve a small thread actually.

It grabbed my attention as well. I wanted to post about it, but haven't got much time to see how it plays. Interesting idea, especially in the context of what is happening right now in Syria. Playing those scenarios, when real people are dying over there - I've got some mixed feelings about making a ''simple'' game out of human misery. Those mind consuming game elements render the problem more as an afterthought - but at least the issue gets more coverage.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It grabbed my attention as well. I wanted to post about it, but haven't got much time to see how it plays. Interesting idea, especially in the context of what is happening right now in Syria. Playing those scenarios, when real people are dying over there - I've got some mixed feelings about making a ''simple'' game out of human misery. Those mind consuming game elements render the problem more as an afterthought - but at least the issue gets more coverage.
Well, that's what I mean that it isn't really a "game" and more of an educational tool in which you get to know about simplified choice and consequences which makes it pretty clear that every action costs lives on both sides.

Toma

I think I'll already need to start the preparation for the next thread by now. I get the feeling that it will take me quite a while this time. Maybe I'll find a cool game to do a super cool contest for in celebration of my birthday next month! Woo!

Haven't really had the chance to diversify my game playing lately, La-Mulana has pretty much taken up 100%. Good to see some great looking projects are being posted up here, especially interested in giving that Syria card game a go. Also, if anyone is on the VESPER.5 trail then I just made my move.

lol, its VERY text heavy. 1000 lines of text for the first and smallest one. Its also heavily inspired by the roguelike game design in that you need to know how to use the items and environments to your advantage. You definitely need to be able to read item descriptions. Despite its simple looks, its actually rather tricky. People will get stuck a lot at first until they figure out how to play the game. It actually has some of the Starseed Pilgrim "Explore the mechanics" feel to it.

So, um... we should wait for the English version, then? Is there anything we can otherwise do?

I just impulse bought Guns of Icarus Online (1$ minimum at Indie Game Stand, Steam key included) and the Debut 2 Bundle at Indie Royale (seems pretty above average for a non-Humble Bundle). I won't have time to play any of them until quite a while from now, anyone has impressions on any of the games?

I've got the same bundle, but I've only played Out there Somewhere thus far. Seems like a very enjoyable little game, although I've got completely stuck on an early level which has totally stumped me.

Wok

I've got the same bundle, but I've only played Out there Somewhere thus far. Seems like a very enjoyable little game, although I've got completely stuck on an early level which has totally stumped me.

Which level? Is it in the village where you have to look for a secret passage? Or is it more tied to a mechanic which you have not grasped yet?

Wok

Perhaps I have missed a mechanic, but I can get up to the water stream, but I can't find a way to get to the door cos it keep blocking my teleport.

I don't remember the exact solution, but I think it is the exact same mechanic you use to get to the water stream and to get to the block on the left of the water stream. Basically, jump & shoot, fall & jump to get to the water stream part of the level; and then jump & shoot,
fall & jump & shoot
to get to the leftmost block. Maybe I am wrong though.

Toma

Voting for this month starts in about 2-3 days btw, in case some of you want to check out some other games from the OP. *unepic cough cough*

Toma

Anyone eager to do yesterdays Screenshot Saturday Update while I prepare the next thread?

Wok

Voting for this month starts in about 2-3 days btw, in case some of you want to check out some other games from the OP. *unepic cough cough*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| 6. Recently released Indies! |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is something strange. If I quote your post, I can find a game which does not appear in the post:
Alter Ego: Dreamwalker - $2,99/ Free Demo (Windows, Linux)

Toma

There is something strange. If I quote your post, I can find a game which does not appear in the post:

jLW2aqJ7zkXsq.png

http://www.retrosouls.net/?page_id=704

AlterEgo is a multi-level, platform game where you navigate around platforms, obstacles and monsters to collect jumping pixels. The twist is that you move two characters parallel and you can switch between them at any time to avoid obstacles or grab coins. Its a sequel to the free Alter Ego, which you can grab here: http://www.retrosouls.net/?page_id=614

Repost for that post, but I cant find out what the issue might be. I literally just c/p'ed it.

Edit: It was a missing " in the post before. Bleh.

Wok

Repost for that post, but I cant find out what the issue might be. I literally just c/p'ed it.

Edit: It was a missing " in the post before. Bleh.

I remember playing 8-Bit Night from this dev. The game design is fine, but the music gets on my nerves.

Toma

I remember playing 8-Bit Night from this dev. The game design is fine, but the music gets on my nerves.

I am also a tad burnt out on puzzle platformers atm, so I didnt even notice that the game is missing from the OP :p

Wok

I am also a tad burnt out on puzzle platformers atm, so I didnt even notice that the game is missing from the OP :p

I can understand. There are indeed many of them. I am still okay with La-Mulana and FEZ this month though.

Toma

I can understand. There are indeed many of them. I am still okay with La-Mulana and FEZ this month though.

La-Mulana isnt as much puzzley as its Metroidvania, isnt it? I am interested in that one, but $15 is a bit much atm. FEZ is so bought though the moment it releases.

Unless it's been changed, La Mulana is a puzzle heavy metroidvania. The puzzles are kind of in the zelda, "I'm not sure what the puzzle even is" vein.

I'm not sure if it's been changed much from the original free version, but that one I had a lot of trouble with it. It just crossed the line into confusing for me into too opaque to be fun. I'm not sure if the HD version gives you a little more help. Caveat emptor though: I'm stupid, you may be able to get much farther without guides.

Toma

Unless it's been changed, La Mulana is a puzzle heavy metroidvania. The puzzles are kind of in the zelda, "I'm not sure what the puzzle even is" vein.

I'm not sure if it's been changed much from the original free version, but that one I had a lot of trouble with it. It just crossed the line into confusing for me into too opaque to be fun. I'm not sure if the HD version gives you a little more help. Caveat emptor though: I'm stupid, you may be able to get much farther without guides.

The devs pretty much say everywhere that the game is supposedly very hard, but it seems like they were talking about the combat instead of the puzzles.

The devs pretty much say everywhere that the game is supposedly very hard, but it seems like they were talking about the combat instead of the puzzles.

The game is actually very hard, and not combat wise; it's a bit impenetrable. A bit like going into Dark Souls blind; not just the combat, but even what you're supposed to do next or where to progress into is for you to figure out. I actually like that absolute lack of handholding to an extent, but I can really see La-Mulana not being many people's cup of tea.

Also, it's a shame that I both didn't knew you back then, and that you missed it, because there was a groupees bundle a few months back that included La-Mulana as a freebie, plus its soundtrack (yes, for like one-two dollars you could get three games of your choice AND La-Mulana). I bought it for myself and for a couple of friends; perhaps I should have bought and stored an extra copy. :/

Hofmann

Screenshot Saturday:

Frequency Domain - First person Sonic on real time generated tracks, which you can switch on the fly.
FD_DaftPunkGetLuckyRadioEdit_gifv1.gif

The Mims: Beginning - Lead your minions in search for their new home in this alien colonization sim.
BINKzdqCQAAlMqp.jpg:large

? - I can only imagine where the hand is heading.
BIUK-vKCcAAZmm_.png:large

Path of Shadows - Stealth game inspired by Tenchu, where you can manipulate shadows to reach your goals.
BIT4S-wCQAERO92.png:large

Loot Legends - Think of Super Mario Bros 2 with some RPG elements thrown in to the mix, by fellow Gaffer AusRoachman. Pixel Plunderers or Dungeon Bludgeon sound better, though.
BIN6nhSCQAIgJum.png:large

Folk Tale - Lovely new screen from the ''sandbox fantasy city builder strategy game''.
BIQRNTxCIAEcSVy.jpg:large

Hofmann

Screenshot Saturday:

TRI - Cool lookin' 3D puzzle/platformer where you build your own platforms to overcome various obstacles, walk on walls an ceiling, etc.
760259488.png

Chrome - Another platformer with a distinctive element. From the video posted on the site, it looks you're in control of a character who can split in to two forms - the light one and shadow one. You can place the glowing one to cast a shadow on the background and then switch to your other form to reach new places.
ss_circle.png

Lune - First look at the user's interface.
BIV2m1hCYAEIbCE.png:large

Enemy Starfighter - Game from the OP. The dev definitely knows how to create good looking gifs.
jDEiafV.gif

The Yawhg - ''In the game you play as 1 of 4 citizens of an unnamed fantasy village, living out your lives while the threat of the horrible, mysterious Yawhg slowly approaches. Magical oddities, secret ruins and other weirdness can all be discovered while spending your time in the village, and when the Yawhg comes, what will you do to survive?''
mapsmall.png

Glorious: Companions - Turn-based multiplayer strategy game - unique story for each of 9 factions, items customization, tons of equipment, improving skills.
BIVk5S5CQAA84Fo.png:large

Gonna wait with part 3 for some late posted screens.

Toma

Thanks Hofmann for posting this weeks Screenshot Saturday Update :)

Quite a few interesting games too, definitely will put a few of those into the future section of the next OP.

Hofmann

Thanks Hofmann for posting this weeks Screenshot Saturday Update :)

Quite a few interesting games too, definitely will put a few of those into the future section of the next OP.

Np,

Yeah, there are always some interesting games like this week's Frequency Domain (sorry for 12 MB GIF) and The Yawhg just to name a few.

Toma

Just a reminder for me:

Stopped at page 7, post 310, 17 games in the released and 17 in the future section of the next thread so far.

Toma

Random screenshot from the Businessman's dev tumblr feed:

759614941.png

Hofmann

Screenshot saturday:

Exil - Third person fantasy parkour, with strong emphasis on vertical exploration. It looks like it has been heavy inspired by Shadow of the Colossus - in my opinion that's a good thing, right.
759671802.jpg

Condom Corps - No idea what it is, but the author made interesting games before and published some insightful and fascinating articles on his blog.
BIVi8VTCMAAtO0r.jpg:large

Maia - Ambitious space colony simulator where you manage and build a prospering community set in the dangerous ecosystem.
file.php

Microscope Madness - You play as a poor little Ovum defending yourself from hordes of mythical Spermatozoons in this neverending game of life and death.
BISYLteCMAEAztC.png:large

Hot Tin Roof - An existential question straight out of dev's twitter: In the world of Hot Tin Roof, where the ammo (and all else) is cubic in shape, would rounds of ammo be called "squares"?

BIaeoKsCcAASPp2.png:large

Sorry, it looks really cool.

Trash TV - ''Trash TV appears to be a platform game at first but is really more of a puzzler, although a puzzler in which the solution to everything is GUNS.'' - Rock Paper Shotgun
AdaptiveSplitScreenCnmp.gif

Hofmann

It's really encouraging that more and more smaller scale games, some of them made by a person, are comparable visually to the big production titles. That's not all, thanks to new tools/engines and distribution channels the entry point to the business is getting lower with each year. The future for independent videogames looks bright indeed - just look at the games coming this year, it's amazing.

Toma

I've just uploaded an early playable of my RPG: http://wingedpixel.com/heroes-of-a-broken-land/

It's still in early dev, so I eager to get any feedback I can at this stage

4&#8364; is a low price, but you need to work on your web presence quite a bit. The current webpage doesnt really give any incentive to try/buy the game at all. No ingame screenshots (battles, world map, towns..), no feature list of whats currently in the game/alpha that people can buy, Update schedules/game progress and things that will go into the game soon, etc.

If I were to randomly stumble upon your website, I definitely wouldnt purchase the game/alpha because the website is missing way too much information on basically everything. I see you asked this in your forums:
So what does Alpha 0.1.0 mean?
What's next for Heroes of a Broken Land?
When will it be finished?

You probably should make working on these questions and your web presence your biggest priority for now if you want others to check it out.

Top Bottom