• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [August] Now Voting - Post 937!

Also..

(and feel free to tell me to stop rambling :D)

The trend of games to go for popular styles..

It's inevitable given the popularity of certain games for others to emulate a similar visual style (not to mention stuff may be in development for years and take too long to start over from scratch)..

For me, two things that will grab my attention with an indie game are:

1) Visual presentation (unique looking -- Kentucky Route 0, Binding of Isaac, Mark of the Ninja, etc)

2) Experiencing something different from other games (be it playing a role not usually presented -- Surgeon Simulator, something not possible to experience normally -- PSN's Flower, etc)

Basically, my ideal game is one that is quick to pick up and play, immersive enough to encourage long term play but capable of short sessions (Rogue Legacy, Binding of Isaac, etc), something with a unique visual style and something that hasn't been done before (various simulation games)

I'd also venture to say that people's gaming history has a lot to do with their indie preferences. I grew up with a Telstar/Atari 2600 and skipped out on the NES era opting for the c64 scene. As such, a lot of the top down shooter/platformers don't necessarily have the same impact for me. With the 2600 and c64 there were thousands of games competing and when something like Countdown to Shutdown appeared with different gameplay, unique visual styles and repeated gameplay I latched onto it.

Having missed out on that NES era, I'm finding myself gravitate towards a lot of voxel/pixel games, especially if there's some modern effects added to them (Really Big Sky, Space Invaders Extreme, etc)

Ok, babbled enough.. off to bed!
Well I missed the NES/retro era as well. My first console was a PS1 and by the time I really developed a love for gaming, my library was Tekken 3, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil 2, etc. Said it before, but I didn't get interested in PC games until the 2000s, because of Facade, and from there, my interest in under the radar games slow grew into the passion I have for indies today

I prefer high difficulty games like SMB, Super Hexagon, roguelikes; expansive emergent nonscripted games; anything with a nice physics system; minimalist designs (mainly due to playing Mirror's Edge), and now pixel art graphics thanks to Gunpoint and Superbrothers

Watch the trailer.
Yeah, that should have probably been my first move

I don't really see the brawler aspect. Sure you're not controlling a ship or vessel, but nothing I saw in that trailer seemed like brawler mechanics.

But it does look awesome, definitely going to get on IOS

Tak3n

Banned
This may of been mentioned (apologies if it has)

Guns and Robots has just gone to Open Beta, worth trying while it is free

GUNS and ROBOTS is a free-to-play online shooter in which players assemble funny looking, yet deadly robots. The game blends fun, inventive character design and deep customization features. Players are provided with exciting situations during variety of maps. The incredible battle mechanics combined with funny looking robots add a whole new perspective to the genre.
Join now the Open Beta of GUNS and ROBOTS at the Official Website !

screen_01.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The game sounds pretty cool. A different take on the tower defense genre. Is this PC only? Looks like it could be nice fit for IOS

It's PC only for now, but who knows?

Splatter (9.99) - Desura | Greenlight | Site

Release trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnt-Mj15qeg
RPS Review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/01/wot-i-think-splatter/

Splatter - Just Harder Times is an oldschool top-down shooter with unique light/shadow gameplay mechanics.
  • Top-down Shooter with unique light/shadow effects
  • Challenging fights with zombies, imps, cyborgs, bugs and some really big ass monsters
  • Flares to scare off the monsters and light up the way
  • Film-noir story mode with currently over 13 levels with boss battles, vehicle sequences, side missions and lots of secrets
  • Weapons upgradeable by 4 levels, gaining new abilities in the process
  • Arcade highscore game modes to compete for online leaderboards
  • Local Multiplayer: Deathmatch for up to 4 players on one computer
  • Local Multiplayer: Coop Survival against ever-growing hordes of enemies
  • Full controller support, support for multiple mice and keyboards
  • And last but not least: lots of Splatter in the process

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

Knurek

Touhou Bunkachou ~ Shoot the Bullet.

One of the entries in massive Touhou series of bullet hell shmups

Please note that while most other games are standard shooters, this one (and it's sequel, Double Spoiler ~ Touhou Bunkachou) are more like puzzle games.

Instead of shooting bullets, in these games you shoot photos of increasingly difficult (and beautiful) enemy bullet patterns. The more risk you took while taking the picture (various rules in effect here), the higher your score.

Your camera needs to recharge after each picture taken. You can speed this up by either taking a high risk picture (more bullets -> higher recharge percentage) or by focusing, which slows your movement speed dramatically (which can lead to some dangerous situations, obviously).

Of course despite the fact that you're defenseless, there are no lives here - touch a bullet, any bullet, and you'll need to restart the stage. While this might seem like a problem, typical stage can be cleared in about a minute (there's a speedrun of the game available here)

Overall highly recommended, music and graphics are amazing considering the game was done by a single person. While it's hard, even for a japanese shmup, it's certainly beatable (I'm not the greatest shmup player and I have been able to clear roughly 2/3 of the game so far.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Aztaka is so fun in the beginning. I started it like 3 times, never digging too much into it. I will try a bit longer this time for a final (un)recommendation.

Tak3n

Banned
Just playing this, and it is PTW, which is a shame

This may of been mentioned (apologies if it has)

Guns and Robots has just gone to Open Beta, worth trying while it is free

GUNS and ROBOTS is a free-to-play online shooter in which players assemble funny looking, yet deadly robots. The game blends fun, inventive character design and deep customization features. Players are provided with exciting situations during variety of maps. The incredible battle mechanics combined with funny looking robots add a whole new perspective to the genre.
Join now the Open Beta of GUNS and ROBOTS at the Official Website !

screen_01.jpg

My favourite scene, that grabbed me the most, was when I failed at the underground puzzle and the Monster
saved me from being crushed by the wall, pulling me out at the last moment, showing that deep down he cares somehow.
Small touches like this one make the characters feel alive.

Yeah, that moment happened to me too and it added a lot.

klinkcow

Neo Member
Yup. Still have it for the original Xbox.

There was a part later in the game that had some clumsy controls which made it frustrating, but otherwise, a decent attempt at a FP game set in HP Lovecraft's world.

I still wish stuff like Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice were on Steam.

I thought this game was really interesting at the time. It reminds me a bit of the 'The Darkness' series, not in theme but in the way it commits to first person.

I will say, at some point later in the game, it just got too damn hard.

klinkcow

Neo Member
Eleven
7hXm5jS-Q2mKeQz9J6ex%2BEleven1_450.jpg

You are slowly drifting through space - full of geometrical shapes and mysterious alien structures. Ambiguous puzzle elements are mixed with an insanely good soundtrack by Datahowler.

It's like an interactive audio visualizer...in space.

The trailer is worth checking out, for sure.
http://elevenminutesofspace.com/

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So, I was annoying a few more people to play Sentinel (currently on a $1 deal if you want the Steam/Desura/GoG keys once they become available over here: https://indiegamestand.com/

I just wanted to post a quick reminder of the deal with an update from the OT, where I gifted 20+ keys and asked for some game impressions in return. Maybe those are interesting to others who might not only want to rely on my word on the matter ;)

Thanks to Toma, I've been able to play Sentinel for somewhat more than an hour now.

My impression of Sentinel is that it's by far worth its money. It's a TD-game with a twist. Just like almost every other game in its genre, you'll have to place your defenses next to the road that leads to your stronghold, castle or in this case your system.

An extra degree of difficulty is added by letting the player himself juggle with the power supply of these defenses. The more powerbars these individual defense systems have, the more powerful they are. Keep an eye on the other roads though, as I tended to suffer from an extreme case of tunnelvision. The lack of overview immediately hurt me a wave later, as I also forgot to collect the resources that randomly flew on the field.

Music is a big thing in Sentinel and makes the game a must-have for house/trance aficionados. The OST (including 16 songs) on itself is amazing and in combination with the gameplay it creates a great setting that I've yet to see in a similar game.

Thanks again Toma! Get the game here (Pay what you want), and don't forget to Greenlight it here.

Firstly, thanks to Toma for posting the thread and then going the extra mile with the gift keys! Keep on shining, you crazy indie-loving GAFfer!

Alrighty then, I've played the first two levels (about 15 minutes) and I'm diggin it. I'm a fan of "active" tower-defense games -- meaning that you can do things (like man a laser tower!) as the round progresses. Obviously you manage resources, upgrade towers, etc during waves but actually participating in the fight is a nice touch. I really like the idea of shared power. Each tower can give or receive power from another tower and this is like a player-controlled instant upgrade instead of the traditional resource-controlled upgrade. Don't worry traditionalists, random(?) falling gems will permanently upgrade towers but the shared power bonus is a welcome tweak to the tower-defense formula. More player activity!

The music goes great with the simple geometric visuals. I love how the beat syncs up with the towers (I'm a sucker for that kind of effect). It's got that Lumines feel to it, where the music dictates how the rhythm echoes throughout the playing field. I'm thinking that I should have actually paid above average to get the soundtrack, hopefully I can buy it later.

My only quibble is that sometimes things get lost in the mix, be it towers, enemies, or falling resources. It doesn't help that each level uses a singular color for the grid and for every icon. When things get hectic it's easy to lose track of an inactive tower or falling resources. I know that's usually a problem in most TDs, but maybe giving each icon class a unique outline would help? Upon re-checking, it kinda already does that so it's probably just me. Either way, it's not a huge deal.

Two thumbs up! I like my time with it so far, here's to blasting more viruses!

Got a chance to play the first few level and a bonus level, and I like what I have played so far. It's a very active Tower Defense where you will constantly need to manage and redistribute power or even manually control a tower. Because of this I think this will appeal to a lot of people that find Tower Defense games boring, but it also runs the risk of putting too much on some gamers plate. Luckily there is a pause button lol.

I love that a tower can be sort of upgraded by turning down or off towers to give another tower more of a shared power pool. The first bonus level is actually a really good excercise in this in that you only have 2 squares to place a tower to attack creeps (one for each lane), however, at the bottom of the grid is several open spaces for you to place cheap towers. Placing those cheap towers adds a power unit to your pool and so then turning off that cheap tower gives you a unit of power to add to the laser towers to kill creeps. It's a hectic excercise, but it does a lot to teach you how mastering power levels can work in your favor. Only thing I didn't like about that level is that there is a tower in that level that I couldn't figure out what it was for, but I am guessing it is meant to only attack the second enemy type that shows up towards the end. There just wasn't any info that I saw that made that known, so a bit of trial and error may be involved with the game. Not much hand holding, both positive and negative depending.

The dynamic music is cool as well. Overall well worth your cash and vote for greenlight. Also give it a go even if you don't like Tower Defense much, it is much more active than most games in the genre, which typically are place towers, wait for waves, upgrade, wait, build, wait.

The thread is over here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596791

And the $1 deal (or $0,25 if you dont need the keys which $1 might give you once its released on Desura/GoG/Steam) is over here:
https://indiegamestand.com/

Woo hoo, I decided to check Amazon on a whim and they sell Teleglitch as a download. I guess that Amazon gift card will come in handy after all

Anyone know if I get the PC download on Amazon, do I get a Steam key?

CzarTim

Woo hoo, I decided to check Amazon on a whim and they sell Teleglitch as a download. I guess that Amazon gift card will come in handy after all

Anyone know if I get the PC download on Amazon, do I get a Steam key?

If it says on the Amazon page the DRM is 'Steam,' yes. Otherwise, no.

Played a bit 1000 Amps last night. Maybe I was tired but I can't say I was enjoying it. It was almost too directionless, there was no music, no variety in the aesthetics of rooms (SO FAR!) and there are no graphical options I could see other than Fullscreen or Windowed (at a really low res). I'll try it again but it may not be my cup of tea.

As far as puzzles and overall gameplay go, it seems competent. I don't think this is a bad game. Just may not be for me.

Toma

Can anyone recommend Soulcaster II?

Youtube Gameplay Trailer

Soulcaster2_Altar.jpg

Looks fun. Trying to decide if I want to get it with Sentinel

The people I saw commenting on it here (forgot where) totally loved it, but you could also grab Sentinel for 1,50 and Soulcaster II for $3,99 from Desura.

The people I saw commenting on it here (forgot where) totally loved it, but you could also grab Sentinel for 1,50 and Soulcaster II for $3,99 from Desura.
I might just do that instead of dropping $10. I don't know what the next game is anyway.

Liking what I'm playing of Chester on Hard difficulty, need to get used to the floaty jumping. On the second world. Mr Chesterworth III is great for the collectables, and has a homing attack.

The art reminds me of Ballpoint Universe, that cutout style.

No steam key from GOG.
Thanks

---
Finally got Teleglitch (thank you Amazon), now this is my kind of roguelike. It is really good. I don't mind the graphic style, but others might be turned off. Controls are tight, every bullet counts, and it gets insanely intense when you're low on health and supplies.

naib

I love those Teleglitch guys for sending me a steam key for the new one having purchased the original.
Very classy.

Now I need to actually play it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Mysterious exploration game Gone Home has officially announced a release date and price!

hE9jfa8.jpg

Today we’re announcing that Gone Home will be released on PC, Mac and Linux on August 15, 2013! We’re super excited that we’re only TWO WEEKS AWAY from release! It is kind of crazy to type that out!

To answer a few questions: Gone Home will be available for $19.99 on Steam and DRM-free via our own website, http://www.gonehomegame.com (which you should check out now, because our friends Chris Remo and Jake Rodkin made it super pretty.)

We aren’t doing preorders, or a demo. But we can’t wait for people to get their hands on the game on August 15!

Little steep for my taste, but I'm excited that it's coming out so soon at any rate.

Mysterious exploration game Gone Home has officially announced a release date and price!

Little steep for my taste, but I'm excited that it's coming out so soon at any rate.

The amount of undie games being released on August is crazy. The next month thread is going to have a lot of big indie games.

The amount of undie games being released on August is crazy. The next month thread is going to have a lot of big indie games.

Yeah, there's a lot this month. I seem to recall the past couple of Augusts having a lot of good indie releases.

Now I just need a release date for Shelter and I'll be ecstatic.

Papers, Please sounds really cool and unique. Definitely the type of indie experience that would only be possible and profitable on PC. Can you imagine someone playing a document inspection game on consoles? Lol

Was there a beta or anything? Have any GAFfers played?

Papers, Please sounds really cool and unique. Definitely the type of indie experience that would only be possible and profitable on PC. Can you imagine someone playing a document inspection game on consoles? Lol

Was there a beta or anything? Have any GAFfers played?

Yeah there was a beta and a lot of GAFers enjoyed. Here's the "OT" i guess: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523968. I haven't played but have been meaning to. Also check out Cart Life if you haven't yet. It's not exactly "similar" but it I think people that enjoy one will often enjoy the other from what I hear.

Receiver was awesome as fuck, real breath of fresh air. Will be excited to try out the new batch of 7dfps this year.

Super excited that Gone Home has a release date.

Did you enjoy Receiver? Well get ready for 7 Day FPS 2013!
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/02/second-round-7-day-fps-2013/

As a refresher of the cool concepts we might see: Best Games Of 7 Day FPS.. That Don’t Have Any Shooting

Just a heads up, at that Rock Paper Shotgun link there's two links at the bottom that talk about some of the games. One of them in particular, Vonneguts & Glory, is available on the Appstore for iOS devices and is free. The links they provide are no longer good so here is a free Flash version of it as well: http://www.shauninman.com/7dfps/vonneguts/

Just curious, anyone try Warning Forever? Anytime I recommend something, I'm interested if what others think of it. I know I love the game

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So, I just purchased Race the Sun and I feel like I've taken crazy pills. All the videos show a game that looks like Star Fox where you race and dodge obstacles, but the actual game is first person, seemingly upside down and there is no sun..... Am I do something wrong? Is there a different mode I'm supposed to be playing?

Wow, finally! And it's way sooner than I expected! May or may not jump at that price depending on early impressions, but I am excited nonetheless. There are so many downloadable releases coming out in August. I can barely keep up!

Can someone help me out with notable indie releases in August... here's what I have so far:

• 2 - Cloudberry Kingdom $10
  • 8 - Guacamelee $15
  • 8 - Papers, Please $10
  • 8 - Spelunky $15
  • 15 - Gone Home $20
  • 22 - DiveKick $10
  • 22 - Skullgirls $15
  • 26 - PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate $20

Am I missing anything? Is it just me or is this month better for big indies than May (Gunpoint, Swapper, Dust)

Can someone help me out with notable indie releases in August... here's what I have so far:

• 2 - Cloudberry Kingdom (Steam)
  • 8 - Guacamelee (Steam)
  • 8 - Papers, Please (Steam)
  • 8 - Spelunky (Steam)
  • 15 - Gone Home (Steam)
  • 22 - DiveKick (Steam)
  • 22 - Skullgirls (Steam)

Am I missing anything? Is it just me or is this month better for big indies than May (Gunpoint, Swapper, Dust)

Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate on Aug. 26th as well!

• 2 - Cloudberry Kingdom $10
  • 8 - Guacamelee $15
  • 8 - Papers, Please $10
  • 8 - Spelunky $15
  • 15 - Gone Home $20
  • 22 - DiveKick $10
  • 22 - Skullgirls $15
  • 26 - PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate $20

Sequel to Analogue: A Hate Story, Hate Plus, comes out on the 19th.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/02/analogue-a-hate-story-sequel-hate-plus-logs-trailer-due-this-m/

Top Bottom