• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [July] Now Voting - Post 874!

klinkcow

Neo Member
Do we have a confirmation the STEALER, or 5734L3R, is officially dead. I saw an article saying the dev was no longer interested, but then I saw a youtube comment saying it's back on.

It looks killer!

tumblr_lqfvfwSfj31qjja0co1_400.png

I love these threads. I struggle to keep up with them each and every day, but love the monthly threads that let me catch up really quickly on things that may have come out over the last few weeks. Thanks Toma.

Question: does anyone recommend any indie game podcasts? I'm not sure if the format would really work since a lot of these games require you seeing them, but maybe.

Can't wait to dig into the OP and those games!

Played 10+ hours of Rogue Legacy this weekend and it is glorious. Steam sale should be coming in July so I should be able to pick up some of the indies on my wishlist: Gunpoint, Swapper, Antichamber, Starseed Pilgrim, La Mulana, Don't Starve and Monaco. In the meantime, I'm going to keep working on Rogue Legacy. Can't believe how much some people have beasted on that game already.

gabbo

Why do all of these games have to pop up when I have no time to play them.
Bookmarking thread for future use. Can't wait to dive in.

I just spent the last couple of hours reading all of the past Indie posts. Amazing job! I've got a massive list of games to try out now. Toma for President!

Dragging over a quote from the end of the last thread I wanted to address.

Tried the online demo, bought it. It's funny because while it does nothing particularly innovative per se, its polish and charm are entirely worth the 5$ even though I have lots of tower defense games untouched.

I disagree that it does nothing innovative, although the thing that it does is probably not very apparent in the demo and early game. When you start leveling your 'towers' you can drop skill points which let you customize their individual skills which means that towers can be the same class but have very different skills and roles depending on how you specialized them. It makes the between level metagame have this awesome level of depth which I've never found even closely as deep on other TD games.

If anyone's interested we're talking about Defenders Quest, it's really good you should buy it!

Also, didn't know the Inverto alpha would be free, gonna have to give that a go.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I love these threads. I struggle to keep up with them each and every day, but love the monthly threads that let me catch up really quickly on things that may have come out over the last few weeks. Thanks Toma.

Question: does anyone recommend any indie game podcasts? I'm not sure if the format would really work since a lot of these games require you seeing them, but maybe.

I cant recommend a good overall gaming podcast per se, but maybe I'll be on the lookout for one to add to this thread eventually. Currently, I have added the YT video series and the Soundtrack podcasts, both of which are rather great series.

But I'll stay on the lookout for more.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Aaah, I dont know where to start playing stuff in the OP!

*plays some Rogue Legacy*

Noogy

Wow, I sort of assumed July was going to be an empty month for indies... I was way wrong. Thankfully I should have more time to play stuff this time!

Toma

Wow, I sort of assumed July was going to be an empty month for indies... I was way wrong. Thankfully I should have more time to play stuff this time!

I thought that since the first Indie thread in march, but I dont know what witchery those Indie devs (you included) are pulling, the threads somehow still manage to fill themselves.

Noogy

I thought that since the first Indie thread in march, but I dont know what witchery those Indie devs (you included) are pulling, the threads somehow still manage to fill themselves.

I love all the obscure stuff that pops up each month, and I'm SUPER thankful that these are archived since I can always go back. Thanks for keeping them going, Toma!

Hofmann

Do we have a confirmation the STEALER, or 5734L3R, is officially dead. I saw an article saying the dev was no longer interested, but then I saw a youtube comment saying it's back on.

It looks killer!

Devlog post from May 18
I have finally found a realisation of gameplay that I like and this mockup illustrates idea. So, looks like that I went back to development of 5734L3R again. Also I found a programmer who is on the same wave with me. 5734L3R is back =)
and the youtube comment is 1 month old, so if the article you read is newer than that, you might be onto something, otherwise it's back in production.

So I know this doesn't quite fit the bill of indie podcast but Idle Thumbs is my favorite podcast gaming or not and they'll often talk about an indie like gunpoint or swapper.

Toma

So I know this doesn't quite fit the bill of indie podcast but Idle Thumbs is my favorite podcast gaming or not and they'll often talk about an indie like gunpoint or swapper.

I'd love an Indie specific one. Not saying Idle Thumbs is "worthless", but only talking about the big Indie releases is missing a TON of interesting stuff (see Sentinel, Ballpoint Universe, No one has to die among others).

Well, our crowdfunding is going to end soon, and as we are not going to get the money that would mean we stop making the game.
NOPE! We are going to make it with even more force, and now the indiegogo page will not drag us while we are making it. From now here we hope we can release more things about the game as time goes until the game is finished.

Thanks again Toma, for featuring the game in the OP. Hope we can bring more news soon.

Toma

Well, our crowdfunding is going to end soon, and as we are not going to get the money that would mean we stop making the game.
NOPE! We are going to make it with even more force, and now the indiegogo page will not drag us while we are making it. From now here we hope we can release more things about the game as time goes until the game is finished.

Thanks again Toma, for featuring the game in the OP. Hope we can bring more news soon.

Really cool to see you guys still want to push through. Guess the kickstarter model doesnt work for every project even if they are as interesting and unique as yours. Best of luck guys! (And feel free to keep us updated)

Hofmann

First Screenshotsaturday in July

After The Gods – Augmented reality god like game. From what I read on their site it's probably for tablet devices only.

Luxuria Superbia – When it comes to this game, ''hands on'' could be misinterpreted, but here's one from IS: http://indiestatik.com/2013/06/29/i-made-love-to-my-ipad-and-it-was-fantastic-luxuria-superbia/

Oblitus – Don't get your hopes up, this is obviously only a promo art, but the game looks really good on its own. Basically it's a 2D, strategic-melee, action-adventure platformer inspired by Dark Souls.

Proven Lands – Stylish survival RPG in an alien world sci-fi setting.

''Family Man'' - From the manly look it's probably a sequel to an old game called A Good Wife (it can be played here) from the guy who made The King of the Wood. Oh, and I made up that name.

? - Some pixelated stuff from the creators of Fotonica and Mirror Moon. My guess – it's a space sushi bar simulator, but I'm hungry right now, so don't mind me.

Aversion – Survival-horror game with randomly generated puzzles and locations.

Toma

First Screenshotsaturday in July

After The Gods – Augmented reality god like game. From what I read on their site it's probably for tablet devices only.

Luxuria Superbia – When it comes to this game, ''hands on'' could be misinterpreted, but here's one from IS: http://indiestatik.com/2013/06/29/i-made-love-to-my-ipad-and-it-was-fantastic-luxuria-superbia/

Oblitus – Don't get your hopes up, this is obviously only a promo art, but the game looks really good on its own. Basically it's a 2D, strategic-melee, action-adventure platformer inspired by Dark Souls.

Proven Lands – Stylish survival RPG in an alien world sci-fi setting.

''Family Man'' - From the manly look it's probably a sequel to an old game called A Good Wife (it can be played here) from the guy who made The King of the Wood. Oh, and I made up that name.

? - Some pixelated stuff from the creators of Fotonica and Mirror Moon. My guess – it's a space sushi bar simulator, but I'm hungry right now, so don't mind me.

Aversion – Survival-horror game with randomly generated puzzles and locations.

... woah. Oblitus, Proven Lands and After the Gods look suuuper interesting.

More fun this month :).

I'm planning to try Zeboyd's latest, I'll probably do another few runs in "Gods will be watching" and a few free games.

Toma

More fun this month :).

I'm planning to try Zeboyd's latest, I'll probably do another few runs in "Gods will be watching" and a few free games.

And maybe whatever random surprise gem we find and rave about in here ;)

I'd love an Indie specific one. Not saying Idle Thumbs is "worthless", but only talking about the big Indie releases is missing a TON of interesting stuff (see Sentinel, Ballpoint Universe, No one has to die among others).
I totally agree. Seems like something this community could do :)

Alright so here are some games I've played so far:

Aaron Steed's Ending - Free (Browser) / $1 (iOS)
j1S9VJi.gif

http://robotacid.com/flash/ending/

As far as I've played, this is more of a puzzle game than an adventure. You can't tell by my quickly made gif but the animations and sound really add quite the oomph to every action. Apparently there's also a roguelike adventure mode and a level editor I haven't dug into. But the puzzles alone are worth the $1 on iOS (or the cost of free.99 on the browser).

Crawl Worm Crawl - Free (Browser)
s7kYzKo.gif

http://www.pol-bd.fr/bazar/fishingJam/fishingJamProto.html

A cool little QWOP style game. Much easier than QWOP when it comes to controls but makes up for that by putting you up against a timer in the form of
a fish trying to eat you
. Of course, by it's own nature, it's a really short game but it's expertly done.

T.O.M.B. - Free (Browser)
bvVkb8c.gif

Another one of the recent Ludum Dare entries, this game is a nice little browser gem. This one asks you to take minimal actions. Each of the 5 or so levels asks a different challenge of you. You can't beat the one posted here, for example, unless you manage to make 5 or less jumps

On a related note, I plan on playing the below games this month in addition to whatever I get from Steam sale. I hope to have thoughts on them as we go through July:

A Dark Room
Binary Maze
Cloud Face
DeCalc
Defenders Quest
Futuridium
Glob
Retroverse
Trap Them

Technically new to Steam and PC gaming in general
These indie game threads have been a godsend. Subscribed

Anyway here's my summer sale wishlist:
Gunpoint
FTL
Incredipede
The Swapper
Don't Starve
Beat Hazard
Limbo
Amnesia
Lone Survivor
Bastion
Magrunner
Storm
The Bridge
Intrusion 2
Monaco
Prison Architect

Toma

Technically new to Steam and PC gaming in general
These indie game threads have been a godsend. Subscribed

Anyway here's my summer sale wishlist:
Gunpoint
FTL
Incredipede
The Swapper
Don't Starve
Beat Hazard
Limbo
Amnesia
Lone Survivor
Bastion
Magrunner
Storm
The Bridge
Intrusion 2
Monaco
Prison Architect

Dont limit yourself to Steam too much, you are missing out on good stuff. At least Desura should definitely be considered as an additional client, but I know I know. I had the same thoughts as well, not wanting a second client.

Dont limit yourself to Steam too much, you are missing out on good stuff. At least Desura should definitely be considered as an additional client, but I know I know. I had the same thoughts as well, not wanting a second client.
Unfortunately I don't have a credit card (yet) or PayPal so Steam Wallet cards are my source of $$ for PC games. And my laptop isn't that powerful (Windows 7, Intel Pentium processor, 4 GBs of Ram, Intel HD Graphics)

But I'm just happy to finally play games like Frozen Synapse and Vessel. Haven't touched my PS3 or 360 in days

Toma

Unfortunately I don't have a credit card (yet) or PayPal so Steam Wallet cards are my source of $$ for PC games. And my laptop isn't that powerful (Windows 7, Intel Pentium processor, 4 GBs of Ram, Intel HD Graphics)

But I'm just happy to finally play games like Frozen Synapse and Vessel. Haven't touched my PS3 or 360 in days

Your PC isnt really the issue since most Indies are really undemanding, and there are lots of worthwhile free games or Free demos out in the wild too. For smaller games last month: No one has to die , potato dungeon, mr. Rescue, leaf me alone and save the date were free for example.

But still, if you just started out, the steam indies will get you far :) Tons of great stuff on there thats worth playing (SpaceChem!) and your taste is on a good track since you just mentioned Frozen Synapse.

Your PC isnt really the issue, and there are lots of worthwhile free games or Free demos out in the wild too. For smaller games last month: No one has to die , potato dungeon, mr. Rescue, leaf me alone and save the date were free for example.

But still, if you just started out, the steam indies will get you far :) Tons of great stuff on there thats worth playing (SpaceChem!) and your taste is on a good track since you just mentioned Frozen Synapse.
Well my primary gaming was on consoles but I've downloaded a few freeware games before

In fact, I downloaded the digipen platformer Perspective last week

But now that I'm on Steam, I can't believe I didn't do this earlier. I got games like Super Meat Boy, Mark of the Ninja, Hotline Miami, Shank, on consoles and Waking Mars and Night Sky on iPad. I might have to double dip though, because now my laptop is going to my primary gaming device

Good tastes. Dunno if they have any plans but I was mega impressed with Perspective and would love to see it expanded out into some kind of full game.
Yeah, my favorite genres are stealth, tactical strategy, and physics/puzzle platformers. And any games with cool unique mechanics.

Right now my favorite PC games are Frozen Synapse and Door Kickers lite. Vessel and Stealth Bastard are awesome as well. And I playing the hell out of Hotline Miami on PS3 before I got involved with Steam

My biggest concern was using a KB/M but luckily on my other thread, someone told me how to set up my PS3 controller as a gamepad.

Toma

Yeah, my favorite genres are stealth, tactical strategy, and physics/puzzle platformers. And any games with cool unique mechanics.

Right now my favorite PC games are Frozen Synapse and Door Kickers lite. Vessel and Stealth Bastard are awesome as well. And I playing the hell out of Hotline Miami on PS3 before I got involved with Steam

My biggest concern was using a KB/M but luckily on my other thread, someone told me how to set up my PS3 controller as a gamepad.

SpaceChem, SpaceChem, SpaceChem!

SpaceChem!

But yeah, great selection of games to start with. I wonder whether I am still top 100 in FS, but I probably got kicked out of top 100 by now.

And thanks to Rock Paper Shotgun, my wishlist grows:

Sang Froid
Surgeon Simulator
Miasmata
Antichamber
Cortex Command
Lucius
Rigonauts
QUBE
inMomentum
Chivalry – Medieval Warfare

Toma

Sang Froid
Surgeon Simulator
Miasmata
Antichamber
Cortex Command
Lucius
Rigonauts
QUBE
inMomentum

Its kinda cute to see someone stumbling over Steam/ the Indie scene for the first time. Have fun dude :) (and have mercy with your wallet)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| 6. Recently released Indies! |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Dark Room - Free (PC, Browser)

Alltynex - Free Demo/ 7,49€ (PC)

Binary Maze - Free Demo/ 2,49€ (PC, Mac)

Blade Symphony - $15 (PC)

Blues for Mittavinda - Free (PC)

Card Hunter - Free (PC, Browser)

Chess the Gathering - Currently Free (PC)

Cloud Face - Free alpha (PC, Browser)

Crow - $7,99 (PC, iOS, Mac)

DeCalc - Free Demo/ $2,49 (PC, Mac, Linux)

Defenders Quest - Free Demo/ $14,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)

Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos - $3,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)

Evilot - $1,99 (PC, Linux)

Expeditions: Conquistador - $19,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)

Fleish & Cherry in "Crazy Hotel" - Free Alpha Demo (PC, Mac, Linux)

Futuridium - Free (PC, Mac)

Glob - Free (PC)

Gods will be watching - Free (PC, Browser)

Hypersuper Cannon - Free (PC, Linux)

Inverto - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)

Knights of Pen & Paper - $9,99 (PC, Mac, iOS, Android)

Lair of the Madhat - Free (PC)

Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded - $19,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)

Magrunner - $19,99 (PC)

Odallus: The Dark Call - Free Demo (PC)

On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 - $4,99 (PC)

Polygon Storm - $1,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)

Primordia - $9,99 (PC)

Projekt W - Phase 2 - Free (PC, Linux)

Retroverse - Free (PC)

Rooks Keep - Free Demo/ $14,99 (PC)

Sang-Froid - $14,99 (PC)

Scrolls - $20 for the Beta (PC, Mac)

Skies - $2,99 (PC)

Soundodger - Free (PC, Browser)

Spacemen Sparkles - $1,99 (PC)

Splatter - $9,99 (PC)

SpyParty - $15 for OpenBeta (PC)

Storm - $9,99 (PC)

Super Splatters - $9,99 (PC, Mac)

Survivor Squad - Free Demo/ $7,99 (PC)

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - $14,99 (PC)

The Last Door - Free (PC, Browser)

Too many me - $1,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)

Trap Them - Free Demo/ $3,99 (PC)

Will Love Tear Us Apart? - Free (PC, Browser)

Alltynex is uhm, quite 'inspired' by RayStorm it seems.

Toma

Alltynex is uhm, quite 'inspired' by RayStorm it seems.

That is a ... monstrous quote. Can we please agree on not quoting any post of the OP in its full glory? :p

Are you playing it? And apparently its an old series that just got released in the West or something. How do you like it?

Idle Thumbs is good for going indepth on specific games, but so is Giant Bomb. I think they devoted like 20 minutes to Swapper.

But like Toma said, I'm not looking for the new hotness from an indie games podcast. Everybody that pays attention to stuff like GAF and enthusiast websites already knows about Rogue Legacy; I didn't need to click on this thread to hear about it. It's the things that fly under the radar that I want to hear about. Idle Thumbs isn't going to hit that niche and nor is Giant Bomb. I know indiegames.com used to do a podcast but I never got into it. Just seeing if anyone else knew of a good podcast with decent coverage and some good chemistry between the guys/girls.

Toma

Idle Thumbs is good for going indepth on specific games, but so is Giant Bomb. I think they devoted like 20 minutes to Swapper.

But like Toma said, I'm not looking for the new hotness from an indie games podcast. Everybody that pays attention to stuff like GAF and enthusiast websites already knows about Rogue Legacy; I didn't need to click on this thread to hear about it. It's the things that fly under the radar that I want to hear about. Idle Thumbs isn't going to hit that niche and nor is Giant Bomb. I know indiegames.com used to do a podcast but I never got into it. Just seeing if anyone else knew of a good podcast with decent coverage and some good chemistry between the guys/girls.

I agree, and that is sort of the whole reason for this thread actually. Giving a hub for those who actually like to check out the smaller Indies as well and have some discussions about games that people otherwise would outright ignore. Like no one on Gaf would have probably heard about Papers Please, 2x0ng or Sentinel without this thread.

Let the Toma Indiecast commence!

.. man,making a podcast would be rad. So, who with podcast experience flies over to my german city to talk about Indies with me? :p

Its kinda cute to see someone stumbling over Steam/ the Indie scene for the first time. Have fun dude :) (and have mercy with your wallet)
Good thing I'll be budgeted by Steam Cards. Right now I got $50 in preparation for the summer sale so I have to be very selective about what games I get. Maybe it's good I don't have a credit card...

And yeah I thought the indies on XBLA and PSN were the best, but Steam blows that all out of the water. And Greenlight is the coolest game-related community feature I've ever seen...ever. Not only do you feel good for voting for a promising and knowing that you're helping a dev, but it also means we get an incredible library of indie games

So far I've voted for Door Kickers, Underrail, Entropy, Splatter, and Strike Vector

Toma

Good thing I'll be budgeted by Steam Cards. Right now I got $50 in preparation for the summer sale so I have to be very selective about what games I get. Maybe it's good I don't have a credit card...

And yeah I thought the indies on XBLA and PSN were the best, but Steam blows that all out of the water. And Greenlight is the coolest game-related community feature I've ever seen...ever. Not only do you feel good for voting for a promising and knowing that you're helping a dev, but it also means we get an incredible library of indie games

So far I've voted for Door Kickers, Underrail, Entropy, Splatter, and Strike Vector

If you feel like helping more devs, feel free to join the Steam group (see OP) and give all the games a thumbs up that are listed in there (We listed all the games in there on Greenlight). Giving games a thumbs up that others enjoyed even if you didnt so much, doesnt potentially harm you ;)

I'm trying to decide which indie game soundtrack will be my entry, it's hard chooding one. D:

I agree, and that is sort of the whole reason for this thread actually. Giving a hub for those who actually like to check out the smaller Indies as well and have some discussions about games that people otherwise would outright ignore. Like no one on Gaf would have probably heard about Papers Please, 2x0ng or Sentinel without this thread.

Let the Toma Indiecast commence!

.. man,making a podcast would be rad. So, who with podcast experience flies over to my german city to talk about Indies with me? :p

You don'y even need to be on the place, the majority of podcasts that I listen use Skype and some software to record the conference.

Yeah I totally agree. Just wanted to throw it out there because they have great conversations around the new hotness. But yeah, they're definitely not hitting the niche. I think a GAF indie podcast would be great.

Sang Froid
Surgeon Simulator
Miasmata
Antichamber
Cortex Command
Lucius
Rigonauts
QUBE
inMomentum
Heh, I remember these days! But please, start with Frozen Synapse and SpaceChem. They are so damn good.

If you feel like helping more devs, feel free to join the Steam group (see OP) and give all the games a thumbs up that are listed in there (We listed all the games in there on Greenlight). Giving games a thumbs up that others enjoyed even if you didnt so much, doesnt potentially harm you ;)
Sure thing. Joining now

Techies

Unfortunately there's games in the what I call, the Greenlight abyss. So you won't find them on Steam anytime soon, they get like 10k views over a period of a year and zero mainstream coverage, reviews nothing. No notice that it has been released, nothing.
And Steam can have like 4 million concurrent users online at any moment.

I'm just glad Rooks Keep, on of those type of games is on the list, because I'm so cheering for it.

Heh, I remember these days! But please, start with Frozen Synapse and SpaceChem. They are so damn good.
Already have FS. What kind of game is SpaceChem?

And this is my full wishlist
Gunpoint
FTL
Incredipede
The Swapper
Don't Starve
Beat Hazard
Limbo
Amnesia
Lone Survivor
Bastion
Magrunner
Storm
The Bridge
Intrusion 2
Monaco
Prison Architect
Sang Froid
Surgeon Simulator
Miasmata
Antichamber
Cortex Command
Lucius
Rigonauts
QUBE
inMomentum

Just saw the notice and came here to post.

Ok, my initial reaction is "WOW"! There is too much indie games entering the market this month and lots of them looks great. I fear that I would need a lot of time to catch up with them.

CzarTim

The Greenlight Collection has also been updated. Start at 'The Tale of ALLTYNEX' for the new games.

Not a lot of games were on Greenlight this month. Might have been a coincidence, but I'm wondering if devs are abandoning the service

Top Bottom