• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [May] Now Voting - Post 385!

So, since this is the thread for May, I might as well post this, because this game needs more exposure, and it's coming out on the 30th (probably). Also, it's the cover game for the latest issue of Indie Game Magazine.

Freedom Planet - May 30, if development goes well (PC, Steam)
BlstfEzCAAA7CNi.png:orig

http://freedomplanet.galaxytrail.com/

A platformer that looks and sounds like it was ripped straight from the Sega Saturn, Freedom Planet is something of a mix of Sonic, Mega Man and Gunstar Heroes. What originally began as a Sonic fan-game has evolved into a title with a life of its own, featuring fast-paced platforming and combat, challenging bosses, beautiful visuals, and a fantastic soundtrack.

Having played the beta, I'm convinced that this game is already one of the finest platformers of the decade, it gives me a rush that few games provide, and the developer poured their heart and soul into it, and it shows. At its core, it is basically an evolution of 2D Sonic, possessing similar physics but tighter controls and overall better gameplay, in my honest opinion. The bosses are better than anything Sonic has ever done, and the narrative, despite being relatively simple, is surprisingly well-done, often hilarious, and not afraid to pull things that its retail-based cousin wouldn't dare touch with a ten-foot-pole, and does it with much more grace and gravity than said cousin would've - its actually much like Dust: An Elysian Tale in that respect, not afraid to deal with subjects like death and violence, and yet somehow managed to top Dust in terms of on-screen graphical violence without even showing blood. In the opening sequence, no less. I wonder if Strife might put up a video of said opening sequence before release, because it's one of the most interesting and chilling opening sequences I've seen in a long time.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So, since this is the thread for May, I might as well post this, because this game needs more exposure, and it's coming out on the 30th (probably). Also, it's the cover game for the latest issue of Indie Game Magazine.

Freedom Planet - May 30, if development goes well (PC, Steam)

Having played the beta, I'm convinced that this game is already one of the finest platformers of the decade, it gives me a rush that few games provide, and the developer poured their heart and soul into it, and it shows. At its core, it is basically an evolution of 2D Sonic, possessing similar physics but tighter controls and overall better gameplay, in my honest opinion. The bosses are better than anything Sonic has ever done, and the narrative, despite being relatively simple, is surprisingly well-done, often hilarious, and not afraid to pull things that its retail-based cousin wouldn't dare touch with a ten-foot-pole, and does it with much more grace and gravity than said cousin would've - its actually much like Dust: An Elysian Tale in that respect, not afraid to deal with subjects like death and violence, and yet somehow managed to top Dust in terms of on-screen graphical violence without even showing blood. In the opening sequence, no less. I wonder if Strife might put up a video of said opening sequence before release, because it's one of the most interesting and chilling opening sequences I've seen in a long time.

Yeah, I liked the game very much when we featured the Beta in the Indie threads sometime last year ago. Glad to hear its finally coming out :)

Broforce
What can I say about Broforce that hasn't been said before? It's hard, it's chaotic, it's challenging, it's fun as hell. You feel like a badass, but you also havve to plan your attack because you can die so fast. A lot of times, rushing in will get you killed, while it would be better to flank from above or blow the ground away from below.

Each character feels unique and it's awesome to play as your favorite action heroes. The environmental destruction and flying gore makes every battle a spectacle, and gives the game tactical element as it's usually always better to approach from a different angle rather than rushing in

Broforce feels more complete and playable than 99% of the other Early Access games I've played and better yet, there's more to come. More heroes, more missions, more modes. I can't recommend Broforce enough

Monument Valley
I truly believe that Monument Valley is the epitome of what IOS gaming should be.

This is an experience that puts visual artistry and atmosphere first, a complete journey without filler or padding. Each chapter feels distinct, unique, special in its own way. As you guide Ida through this abstract world of long-abandoned structures, you'll encounter impossible mechanisms and structures to push, pull, and rotate, utilizing Escher physics to navigate this mysterious world. Without the touchscreen, Monument Valley just wouldn't be the same; the tactile nature of IOS devices allows for an intimate connection with the world as you manipulate the environment with your fingertips. The whole experience is a masterfully-crafted mix of wonderful artistry, compelling music, immersive tangible mechanics, and subtle narrative.

My trip through Monument Valley lasted two hours, but it was a journey that I didn't want to end in a world I wanted to see more of. It's a game that uses the tactile tangible nature of the touchscreen to its fullest potential, that is simple yet engaging and compelling. At a time when clones and clones of clones flood the charts and tear the spotlight away from the games that deserve it, where IAP and free-to-play practices are rampant and only seem to grow more and more ubiquitous, Monument Valley is not just a great original premium IOS game. It's a great game regardless of system or platform.

Limbs
Limbs' inspiration is quite obvious from the moment you start playing. That isn't a strike against the game, but a mark of praise. Limbs takes Paper's Please's basic idea and builds a unique inventive experience from that foundation.

Rather than manning a booth and checking documents, Rezoner's Cyberpunk Jam entry seats you at the workbench of a cybernetic repair shop. Clients come to you with an order and a hand and it's your job to break these limbs down to their components, replace parts, swap out damaged pieces, adjust CPUs, check warranties and other registration information against an extensive manual of rules and guidelines. While Limbs doesn't have Paper's Please subtle narrative and desperate urgency, it stands outs in other ways. The gameplay is just incredibly tactile and engaging, as you unscrew pieces and place new parts in the right place. The sound effects add to that feeling of messing with a robotic hand. The various clients also help build a compelling futuristic setting; you're not merely fixing a broken hand, but rather de-arming an assassin or installing specialized fingers for a spy.

Sometimes you play a freeware or flash game and it just begs to be expanded into something bigger and better. Games like Gods Will Be Watching, SuperHOT, Westerado, and, in my opinion, Limbs is yet another addition to that list. The flash game is great, an experience with the potential to be so much more.

Life Goes On
If you played the Life Goes On demo, you already have an idea of what the gameplay entails. In Life Goes On, death is not the end, but a tool in your arsenal. A corpse is a stepping stone across spikes or a weight on a pressure plate or ammo for a cannon. By making death a puzzle element rather than failure, Life Goes On is able to craft some inventive unique challenges not possible in other games.

Each area introduces new mechanics from freezing your poor knight to gravity fields. Now granted, the actual mechanics and hazards are nothing new: spikes, saw, conveyor belts, flame jets, sliding blocks, pressing buttons, etc. But figuring out how to use your corpses, how to maneuver them past certain obstacles, when and where and how to sacrifice yourself, those elements make Life Goes On unique. Extra objectives like beating levels under a certain time, with a certain amount of deaths, or figuring how to reach special areas in each level add replay value
---
1. Broforce
2. Monument Valley
3. Limbs
4. Life Goes On

inkls

Yay new thread. Been trying and enjoying the demo of factorio alot. Is there any similar indie games out there?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yay new thread. Been trying and enjoying the demo of factorio alot. Is there any similar indie games out there?

Did you try SpaceChem?

Broforce

What can I say about Broforce that hasn't been said before? It's hard, it's chaotic, it's challenging, it's fun as hell. You feel like a badass, but you also havve to plan your attack because you can die so fast. A lot of times, rushing in will get you killed, while it would be better to flank from above or blow the ground away from below.

Each character feels unique and it's awesome to play as your favorite action heroes. The environmental destruction and flying gore makes every battle a spectacle, and gives the game tactical element as it's usually always better to approach from a different angle rather than rushing in

Broforce feels more complete and playable than 99% of the other Early Access games I've played and better yet, there's more to come. More heroes, more missions, more modes. I can't recommend Broforce enough

Monument Valley

I truly believe that Monument Valley is the epitome of what IOS gaming should be.

This is an experience that puts visual artistry and atmosphere first, a complete journey without filler or padding. Each chapter feels distinct, unique, special in its own way. As you guide Ida through this abstract world of long-abandoned structures, you'll encounter impossible mechanisms and structures to push, pull, and rotate, utilizing Escher physics to navigate this mysterious world. Without the touchscreen, Monument Valley just wouldn't be the same; the tactile nature of IOS devices allows for an intimate connection with the world as you manipulate the environment with your fingertips. The whole experience is a masterfully-crafted mix of wonderful artistry, compelling music, immersive tangible mechanics, and subtle narrative.

My trip through Monument Valley lasted two hours, but it was a journey that I didn't want to end in a world I wanted to see more of. It's a game that uses the tactile tangible nature of the touchscreen to its fullest potential, that is simple yet engaging and compelling. At a time when clones and clones of clones flood the charts and tear the spotlight away from the games that deserve it, where IAP and free-to-play practices are rampant and only seem to grow more and more ubiquitous, Monument Valley is not just a great original premium IOS game. It's a great game regardless of system or platform.

Limbs

Limbs' inspiration is quite obvious from the moment you start playing. That isn't a strike against the game, but a mark of praise. Limbs takes Paper's Please's basic idea and builds a unique inventive experience from that foundation.

Rather than manning a booth and checking documents, Rezoner's Cyberpunk Jam entry seats you at the workbench of a cybernetic repair shop. Clients come to you with an order and a hand and it's your job to break these limbs down to their components, replace parts, swap out damaged pieces, adjust CPUs, check warranties and other registration information against an extensive manual of rules and guidelines. While Limbs doesn't have Paper's Please subtle narrative and desperate urgency, it stands outs in other ways. The gameplay is just incredibly tactile and engaging, as you unscrew pieces and place new parts in the right place. The sound effects add to that feeling of messing with a robotic hand. The various clients also help build a compelling futuristic setting; you're not merely fixing a broken hand, but rather de-arming an assassin or installing specialized fingers for a spy.

Sometimes you play a freeware or flash game and it just begs to be expanded into something bigger and better. Games like Gods Will Be Watching, SuperHOT, Westerado, and, in my opinion, Limbs is yet another addition to that list. The flash game is great, an experience with the potential to be so much more.

Life Goes On

If you played the Life Goes On demo, you already have an idea of what the gameplay entails. In Life Goes On, death is not the end, but a tool in your arsenal. A corpse is a stepping stone across spikes or a weight on a pressure plate or ammo for a cannon. By making death a puzzle element rather than failure, Life Goes On is able to craft some inventive unique challenges not possible in other games.

Each area introduces new mechanics from freezing your poor knight to gravity fields. Now granted, the actual mechanics and hazards are nothing new: spikes, saw, conveyor belts, flame jets, sliding blocks, pressing buttons, etc. But figuring out how to use your corpses, how to maneuver them past certain obstacles, when and where and how to sacrifice yourself, those elements make Life Goes On unique. Extra objectives like beating levels under a certain time, with a certain amount of deaths, or figuring how to reach special areas in each level add replay value
---
1. Broforce
2. Monument Valley
3. Limbs
4. Life Goes On

Great impressions :) Monument Valley and Tengami need to come on PC like yesterday. Limbs sounds cool.

I was talking with a friend who was thinking of getting into Steam, and I was explaining how Greenlight worked. Which made me wonder, do you think self-publishing will be better or worse for indies?

I mean, even with all of Greenlight's issues, it's still a form of curation. With self-publishing, it'll be even easier for games to buried due to sheer volume of new games

Toma

I was talking with a friend who was thinking of getting into Steam, and I was explaining how Greenlight worked. Which made me wonder, do you think self-publishing will be better or worse for indies?

I mean, even with all of Greenlight's issues, it's still a form of curation. With self-publishing, it'll be even easier for games to buried due to sheer volume of new games

No reason not to do both, The newly released section on Steam is alone good for a few hundred sales.

No reason not to do both, The newly released section on Steam is alone good for a few hundred sales.
Don't think you got what I meant. I'm talking when/if Steam gets rid of Greenlight and lets developers self-publish games directly on the store

Toma

Don't think you got what I meant. I'm talking when/if Steam gets rid of Greenlight and lets developers self-publish games directly on the store

Well the cake will be split between more developers. More Indie developers get the chance to present themselves to Steam masses, which on the other hand also means that less developers will be as successful as before. Getting rid of Greenlight sucks for those who are already on the service, and benefits those who otherwise wouldnt have gotten in anytime soon.

Or did I still misunderstand your question?

Toma

OP impressions, 0rbitalis:

Smart, little puzzle game that tasks you with planning the trajectory of a satellite, and then playing each level with a single click. There is a kind of simplistic beauty to that, and the game feels very relaxing because of this gameplay style. Since the universe is shifting constantly, there is enough variety and gravity tactics to try, so the game doesnt get boring too quickly, but I also need to admit that the game still feels very light on content and I am not sure whether I think that the transfer from flash game to full version was succesful or not. I sort of think they should have... added more somehow, it just feels like a very polished flash game now.

Well the cake will be split between more developers. More Indie developers get the chance to present themselves to Steam masses, which on the other hand also means that less developers will be as successful as before. Getting rid of Greenlight sucks for those who are already on the service, and benefits those who otherwise wouldnt have gotten in anytime soon.

Or did I still misunderstand your question?
No, I think you got it. And I agree. A massively increased influx of new games only means less attention, less visibility, less potential success for the games that deserve it

And I think the Greenlight system has a lot more advantages than simply getting your game on Steam. Devs build an audience and fanbase of people who vote for them, then spread the word about the game so others can vote for it. Devs can use the desire to be Greenlit to rally support for their game. There's the exposure of being in a new batch and the ability to say "Look, my game's been Greenlit", a kind of prestige I guess that devs can add to their marketing.

Valve switching to self-publishing, devs lose that and have an even greater struggle to get noticed

daydream

Banned
I think in the case of Steam introducing self-publishing, the attention of people with more informed opinions might shift to a different storefront. Though that may be wishful thinking..

Kumubou

I doubt -- or I least I hope -- that the main Steam storefront is still curated to some extent. Maybe more so than now, as Valve can tell developers/publishers that they can get on Steam regardless. I also think Valve's idea is to have multiple storefronts and let users curate the games in exchange for a small cut of the action, which should help people follow smaller, more focused groups instead of the amalgamation of everything on Steam.

In other news, there's a game jam going on called Waifu Jam. The core concept is about creating a game with fictional characters the players want to fall in love with
and create R-18 art of
. I'm curious to see if anything interesting comes out of this.

Have any of you played Pathologic? Learned about this game a few days ago and it sounds amazing. Best part is that there were rumors of a Kickstarter for an HD version and that the devs are still active (recently released Knock-Knock)

Kumubou

Have any of you played Pathologic? Learned about this game a few days ago and it sounds amazing. Best part is that there were rumors of a Kickstarter for an HD version and that the devs are still active (recently released Knock-Knock)
Pathologic is one of the craziest games I have ever played, and it's absolutely worth playing. I'm not sure how much I would really want a cleaned up, HD version. The rough nature of the game's look (and it's English translation, hoo boy) fits in almost perfectly with the game's weirdness.

Its fantastic, one of my favourite horror 'games,' although use of the word game in the loosest possible terms. It's more of an interactive horror experience with a bit of walking and a lot of dying. It's well worth playing if you have the chance.

Toma

I think in the case of Steam introducing self-publishing, the attention of people with more informed opinions might shift to a different storefront. Though that may be wishful thinking..

They still will do some sort of Steam Storefront, but that storefront will hugely focus on the big games and bigger Indies. But I already do plan on opening up our own storefront for Indies at least, where we can have our own curated storefront, so people will just need to get used to the idea of following other stores instead of relying solely on Steam. That could work in theory.

Really interesting games, but it doesnt hold up that amazingly well today from a design perspective. Lots of unnecessary downtime and walking, not to mention its more an interactive experience than a real game.

I liked it quite a bit, but its... rough if you play it for the first time in 2014. Not sure whether an HD version would help either tbh.

Still need to give that a go. I liked Knock Knock and The Void, but need to give Pathologic a go since there's more cool stuff to it.

There were some great posts on Rock Paper Shotgun, "Butchering Pathologic", had 3 parts.

I doubt -- or I least I hope -- that the main Steam storefront is still curated to some extent. Maybe more so than now, as Valve can tell developers/publishers that they can get on Steam regardless. I also think Valve's idea is to have multiple storefronts and let users curate the games in exchange for a small cut of the action, which should help people follow smaller, more focused groups instead of the amalgamation of everything on Steam.

In other news, there's a game jam going on called Waifu Jam. The core concept is about creating a game with fictional characters the players want to fall in love with
and create R-18 art of
. I'm curious to see if anything interesting comes out of this.

Amazing jam lol. I need to check some of the entries later.

They still will do some sort of Steam Storefront, but that storefront will hugely focus on the big games and bigger Indies. But I already do plan on opening up our own storefront for Indies at least, where we can have our own curated storefront, so people will just need to get used to the idea of following other stores instead of relying solely on Steam. That could work in theory.

I really hope the custom store fronts works well.

The Sea Has No Claim - Free (Browser)
11080-shot2.png

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=11080

Lucas Pope's (Papers Please) Ludum Dare entry.
One plane with 45 passengers onboard. Lost in 648^2 km of ocean. Find it.

Colours - $3 (PC)
colours-game-1.jpg

http://mokesmoe.itch.io/colours

Choose how the game looks by picking your favourite colours!
There are no wrong choices. (Except picking all the fluorescent colours because that will just hurt your eyes. Don't do it.)
Try to remember which colours you picked!
Saw Colours on IndieStatik. Sounds interesting
The game itself is a minimalistic platformer. You control a small square around each level, trying to navigate from point A to point B so that you can move on to the next. Between each level, the game asks you simple questions: “What is your favorite color?” and “Which color holds you back?” and “Which color carries you?"

The functions of some of these are more obvious than others. When it asks you what color “supports you,” of course this is going to be used for stable platforms. Similarly, when it asks you what color you tend to avoid, your choice will be deadly to the touch.

!!
!!!
http://outerwilds.com/mission-status/
It’s been a while since we last broke radio silence, so we just wanted to confirm that development on Outer Wilds is still underway!

We’re currently working towards a full release of the game, which will feature (among other things) a completely fleshed-out version of the overarching mystery. The alpha release will remain available in the meantime, so feel free to check it out (if you haven’t already exhausted its secrets) while we work on the full release.

A big thanks to everyone who’s been playing, writing, talking, and trading crazy theories about the game. Stay tuned for future developments, and happy trails!
More Outer Wilds is only a good thing

Kumubou

Got the Monday IndieGala bundle solely for Collateral
(It's usually $25)
This reminds me of an updated version of the old 3DO game Quarantine, which was... interesting. From the bundle, that and Ignite looks like something I would want to play (reminds me of some arcade racers, which is not something we have nearly enough of nowadays). I'll buy it for $2. I would have been up for LocoCycle (I liked Twisted Pixel's other games) but apparently that game is complete garbage.

This reminds me of an updated version of the old 3DO game Quarantine, which was... interesting. From the bundle, that and Ignite looks like something I would want to play (reminds me of some arcade racers, which is not something we have nearly enough of nowadays). I'll buy it for $2. I would have been up for LocoCycle (I liked Twisted Pixel's other games) but apparently that game is complete garbage.
Yeah, I have to agree about the lack of arcade racers.

And I'm going to include games from a few years back:

Nitronic Rush
Jet Car Stunts
Krautscape?
N4S Hot Pursuit?
Flatout games
Trackmania series
Burnout Paradise
Distance (upcoming)

And what else? Is that it?

Kumubou

Yeah, I have to agree about the lack of arcade racers.

And I'm going to include games from a few years back:

Nitronic Rush
Jet Car Stunts
Krautscape?
N4S Hot Pursuit?
Flatout games
Trackmania series
Burnout Paradise
Distance (upcoming)

And what else? Is that it?
You had the Sonic & All-Star kart racers (which are actually damn good, especially the second one), Ridge Racer Unbounded/Driftopia (how the hell is this the only Ridge Racer game on PC? Goddamnit, Namco (yeah yeah it's a rebranded Flatout, but still)), Blur, Sega Rally Revo, Outrun 2006 (the last three have been delisted, derp). There's also 90s Arcade Racer, which is coming soonish. It's always been a console-oriented genre though (you don't want to know how many kittens I would run through a meatgrinder to get something like Project Gotham 4 on PC).

I got to play Distance at PAX East, and I'm not going to lie -- I was really disappointed. The controls are rather heavy (reminds me of San Francisco Rush 2049), which is fine, but the level design just struck me as completely uninspired. There was nothing there that struck me as really interesting or anything that looks like that would be even remotely demanding and pushing the skill ceiling of the game. It's a solvable problem, but it was not a good look.

-Winnie-

My group's game, now with 100% more GIF!

Hazumino - $0.99 (iOS/Android)
HarmlessBriefBillygoat.gif

http://www.samuraipunk.com/hazumino

Run, jump and build your way to new worlds and high scores in Hazumino, the game that combines relentless endless-runner with tricky block puzzle gameplay! Featuring cross-platform leaderboards and Facebook/Twitter support to compete with your friends!
(Free demo also available, look for "Hazumino Lite")

I bought Ignite in my first Steam sale, it's a fun arcade racing game but don't expect anything too deep.

Anyone remember Zenzizenic? Now on Kickstarter. Low goal of 2k, 10k goal is an open world roguelike-esque expansion

Ceres - Free demo (PC, Mac, Linux)
3816729_orig.jpg

http://www.ceresthegame.com/

Influenced by Homeworld and Elite, among other games, Ceres is cyber tactical squad based RTS, Lead up to a squadron of ships through a mission-driven storyline the way you see fit, unleashing deadly lasers or missiles or using on-board AI to launch hacking attacks or even take control of enemy ships

Just read about The Way on RPS.

The Way is a 2D puzzle platformer game inspired by classic titles like Another World, Heart of Darkness and Flashback. Seeing the remakes and re-releases of those titles we realised that there are no new games that would have similar spirit and gameplay.

They are asking for $15k CAD so it should be easily reachable.

caa76d74cea0c1ff61852cf89da400ad_large.png

The Kickstarted game Ascendant is released, Steam version coming soon

Ascendant - $9.99 (PC)
637x358.resizedimage

http://hapagames.itch.io/ascendant

Ascendant is the unforgiving beat 'em up that challenges you with a new world each time you play. It utilizes a number of modern roguelike elements such as permadeath and procedurally generated environments. You are a demigod who invades a plane controlled by your rivals. They will stop at nothing to eliminate you. Only the most impressive warriors will triumph over their armies of zealots and beasts.

osknoes

Hey guys, a friend of mine that doesn't have a gaf account just launched a very cool game. I will just put hiw words here. Take a look at the trailer, and give it a shot, it's worth it ( only for ipad so far )

"Hi all.

I just released my first game "double drop" for the iPad.

It would be amazing if you guys gave it a try!

Game Description
Double drop is a game initially inspired by nights out in Tokyo Arcades and Pachinko.
It starts as a very approachable game, with simple mechanics, and it evolves into a fast paced, reaction based arcade game, which really tests players skills and endurance.
The game creates a hypnotising experience with generative music, build with over 200 single note music samples, and features both, a fast, raw, same-device multiplayer experience, and a solo mode, designed to allow co-operation, with about 80 challenges.

/*
Statement?

My intention was to create a game which, if played by someone highly skilled, an observer who has never seen the game before would maybe not understand what was going on in the screen, but would feel highly compelled by how the vivacity in movement, colours and sounds unfolded a tiny spectacle difficult to stop looking at.
( And ... fun to play, of course )
*/

Game site: http://www.gerardrallo.net/doubledrop
iTunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/double-drop/id846597898

More videos

"Teaser" trailer:
( ok, it is just the current temporary trailer, while I work on a better one... )
https://vimeo.com/90411450

Long game:
https://vimeo.com/90297487

2 players:
https://vimeo.com/80773789

All the music has been created by Lullatone.
They make the most lovely music to make your live better.
Go have a look!

their website:
http://www.lullatone.com

bandcamp:
https://lullatone.bandcamp.com
"

Top Bottom