• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [May] Now Voting - Post 385!

Moobabe

If you've got a preview key for A Story About My Uncle it's been upgraded to a full version - expect reviews to drop tomorrow I guess, it's out wednesday.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
7. Echo of the Wilds - It was okay, not a big fan of the tutorial. I hate it when games teach you obvious stuff like walking, I just wunna play! The narrator reminds me of the Pagans from the Thief games. I'm kinda rushing through these games at the moment, so I don't think I'm being very fair at the moment. I'll check it out again sometime.

Definitely not a game that you should try to "rush through", but I am curious what the others will say about it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Dungeon of the Endless is a bit on sale on Steam and reminded me of how much I wanted to play the game. Anyone know if it's worth getting at this point? Haven't read too much about it.

In short, yep. But the game is not complete yet.

They are at 0.6.9 currently and add new stuff every 2-3 weeks consistently. Its a fun game worth purchasing, but if you want the most complete version, you can easily wait another 3 months as well though. I like playing a fun game and then dipping into it again 2-3 months later to see the massive amounts of additions, but that might not be everyones cup of tea.

Moobabe

Dungeon of the Endless is a bit on sale on Steam and reminded me of how much I wanted to play the game. Anyone know if it's worth getting at this point? Haven't read too much about it.

In short, yep. But the game is not complete yet.

They are at 0.6.9 currently and add new stuff every 2-3 weeks consistently. Its a fun game worth purchasing, but if you want the most complete version, you can easily wait another 3 months as well though. I like playing a fun game and then dipping into it again 2-3 months later to see the massive amounts of additions, but that might not be everyones cup of tea.

I'm slightly more positive about it than Toma. I really like what these are doing with their games and I'm checking out every patch that goes live to see what changes.

It's a fun game - part tower defense, part rogue like. And for that price I'd urge you to pick it up, and multiplayer is coming "soon"

Toma

I'm slightly more positive about it than Toma. I really like what these are doing with their games and I'm checking out every patch that goes live to see what changes.

It's a fun game - part tower defense, part rogue like. And for that price I'd urge you to pick it up, and multiplayer is coming "soon"

Oh wow, didnt realize I was sounding negative-ish, haha. The game is fantastic , but some people dont like playing games that are still missing features/content :p

Steam Early Access keys for Cosmochoria should be available to those of you who got the appropriate tier in the Kickstarter.

I also bumped the game's thread in case anyone misses it in here.

flowsnake

I generally like Roguelikes but not Tower Defence so I've always been unsure about Dungeon of the Endless. Which one would it lean towards more?

Moobabe

I generally like Roguelikes but not Tower Defence so I've always been unsure about Dungeon of the Endless. Which one would it lean towards more?

Umm... it's hard to say. Roguelike? Maybe only just though - there's persistence, weapons and items, unlockable heroes and also a lot of defending against waves of enemies.

51/49?

Toma

Yeah, its basically both. Can you imagine a roguelike in which your main line of defense is to build towers instead of laying traps/using potions? Its basically that.

It's (almost) alive!

From the Devlog:
Today there was talk of Frog Sord revival. The original team is on good terms and collectively we have the right to finish the project. Hunter and I have moved onto a new project that is unrelated and due to this, FS would need to continue with a different artist.

The team is somewhat unconvinced that a complete art overhaul is worth the investment. Funding would also be necessary for the completion of the project. I guess I am just saying that the IP woes and what not are somewhat out of the way, but that doesn't necessarily change the fact that this game is currently on hiatus.
A lot of people are coming together to try to get this game out there. I appreciate the support that I have received and would like to show off what could potentially become the new Frog Sord.

A few Frog variations
3NkZwmP.png

Mockup by Rasse
opmVTOl.png

The current plan is to release a freeware version similar to the alpha build released late last year. I will use this to gauge interest in future development and then possibly look into Kickstarter or other funding methods.

Toma

Just spent some more time with Echo of the Wilds and made my YT video impressions in my so far longest video (1:05 hrs). Video is currently uploading. Really, really digging this. Definitely a keeper with more content and deeper/more challenging survival mechanics that I expected at first. I might throw a text up later together with the video, but everyone on the fence or interested should really check out the video I am going to put up later.

Toma

00BY11T.png

OP video impressions, Echo of the Wilds:
http://youtu.be/6Cx4s_z6b-U

Its one of those games where its best if you dive into it yourself and just eplore the mechanics and overall game world instead of having someone else play it for you, but I think the video does a pretty decent job at explaining the basic mechanics and giving an insight on how the game plays. Its basically a mysterious survival game.You are stranded on an island with strange dreams and need to make sure to survive. In the best survival game fashion, this requires you to collect stone, berries and wood to eventually make better equipment and improve on your normal and simple daily routines.

However the game is far from being standard, but I dont want to spoil too much, lets just say that the campaign is rather inventive and manages to stay fresh and interesting in regard to certain aspects of how the story is presented. The graphics and animations are carefully designed, the audio design is subtle but inintrusive and the writing very charming (even though admittedly some lines are a taaad cheesy). The actual gameplay mechanic (survival) works very well too, which I didnt expect for a smaller game that seems a bit simple at first and also seems to have enough content. I played 1 hour and maybe finished 1/4th to 1/5th of the story campaign and still havent touched the endless mode. Even if the game only ends up being 4-5 hours long, its just very good at being what it is, so no matter what the final playtime ends up as, this game is good, really good, and I have no issue at all fully recommending it.

Its currently on sale for $5 on itch/gumroad, and you can mail the dev to send you a key for IndieGamestand if you bought it on itch or gumroad.

And a small comment by the dev on the sales of Echo and his next project:
Yeah sales have been okay, just about enough to fully fund my next game so that's nice, plus I've still got to add it onto Steam. I'm just finishing off a bigish update to Echo this week, then sorting out the Steam release, then I can start working on my next game which is a 1-4 player arena sort of game. There's going to be a level editor and lots of object/enemy types to play with so hopefully should be fun.

alllen

Neo Member
Finally released a trailer for the game I've been working on for the past year + 3 months: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0MQ8QFBXvc

Think I focused too much on the combat than the atmospheric exploration bits, but I'm not disappointed in how it came out. Was the first trailer I've ever properly edited so it was a learning experience for sure.

It's also on Greenlight so if you like/hate it you can vote on it there. Also has a better description of the game and a few screenshots. Though if I had to describe the game in one sentence though it would be a Deus Ex/System Shock type game with puzzles, first person shooting, and story/atmosphere inspired by classic sci-fi films like Solaris and 2001.

Oh and the writer did a neat post on our IndieDB page about the incidental text in the game. So if you're one of those types of people who likes those kinda things in games that might interest you.

Finally released a trailer for the game I've been working on for the past year + 3 months: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0MQ8QFBXvc

Think I focused too much on the combat than the atmospheric exploration bits, but I'm not disappointed in how it came out. Was the first trailer I've ever properly edited so it was a learning experience for sure.

It's also on Greenlight so if you like/hate it you can vote on it there. Also has a better description of the game and a few screenshots. Though if I had to describe the game in one sentence though it would be a Deus Ex/System Shock type game with puzzles, first person shooting, and story/atmosphere inspired by classic sci-fi films like Solaris and 2001.

Oh and the writer did a neat post on our IndieDB page about the incidental text in the game. So if you're one of those types of people who likes those kinda things in games that might interest you.

You had me at Deus Ex/System Shock :D. Looks good dude, I'll give you a thumbs up on Greenlight.

inkls

"you don't need any help" got a laugh out of me. Is this kind of interaction going to be a thing in the game or was that a standalone.

alllen

Neo Member
There's a few more things like that in the game. The original trailer was more goofy than this final one, but many people didn't like it so I cut out the sillyness.

Originally had clips of the player smoking, using a urinal, taking a shower, etc. Most objects in the game you can use or destroy, and there are a lot of side things you can do that are silly and not directly related to the main gameplay. It has plenty of that, it doesn't take itself as seriously as the trailer suggests. Though the story itself is fairly serious.

Put about 30+ minutes into Echo of the Wilds and so far, I'm really enjoying. It's one hell of a surreal narrative experience, combined some wonderful pixel artistry and atmospheric environments. I haven't experienced much of the survival elements, but even at this point, this game is worth getting for the art style and interesting tone alone. Can't wait to get further in

---
Hyphen - £3.99 (PC)
dOz8nAZ.png

http://www.farspacestudios.com/games/hyphen/

Hyphen is a must have addition to any puzzle/action game lover’s collection. Navigate a rotating stick through intricate and fiendish neon mazes while trying to avoid the walls and obstacles. Although it sounds extremely simple, it’s fun and infuriatingly challenging at the same time. Coupled with an awesome soundtrack and gorgeous glowing visuals this game will blow your mind in more ways than one.

ibb & obb - $11.99 (PC)
ss_ee02d084d753973d255d31a54a400a21973234e2.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/95400

ibb & obb is a two player cooperative game set in a puzzle filled world where gravity goes both up and down. You can only succeed by working closely together. Find a friend for some true local co-op couch fun or match up online.

Death To Spies 3 - Free demo (PC)
637x358.resizedimage

http://www.haggardgames.com/index.php/ourgames/death-to-spies-3

Death to Spies 3 is the next chapter in the Death to Spies stealth game series.
This time, the action takes place not only in the WW2 era, but also during the Cold War.

Moobabe

Thumbs up from me - though I would like to see some of the slower parts of the game showed off if you've got anything rough? (You can DM me if you don't want to show it off,) Regardless - looks super interesting :)

Death To Spies 3 looks pretty nice - downloading the demo now to check it out.

Toma

Copod is the new IGS deal. I'd recommend it. A cute action roguelike-ish style game, with a nice art style and fun abilities

Just for a contrasting opinion, I didnt think it was anything special. The game worked and if you like what you see in the videos, you'll likely like it, but there isnt really much more to it. A bit too simplistic in my opinion.

Timeaisis

Hey all! New to this thread, just found it today. Really cool.

We've got a game on steam greenlight we're trying to get through, and I thought I'd share it here. It's called The Sun at Night and it's been "out" since mid February but hasn't been accepted through greenlight just yet...but we're really close!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=152465002

It's a 2D action-platformer set in an alternate history '60s with a RPG elements and a branching story. Oh, and you play as a dog.

Anyway, a vote would be much appreciated (if you actually like it :p)

Also, props to this thread and it's organization. It's super awesome and I'm excited to look into more of these games.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
While not exactly a game per-say, Devine Lu Linvega (who developed the incredible living-book adventure Paradise) has released his Proteus mod called Purgateus through Venus Patrol. It adds a bit of his language and symbol oriented style while still maintaining the base exploration and sound driven play of the main game.

If Proteus didn't do anything for you this certainly isn't going to change your mind. I'm particularly excited by this and have been prodding around to get Workshop support for the game so we could see Proteus turn into a dreamland engine.

daydream

Banned
Hey all! New to this thread, just found it today. Really cool.

We've got a game on steam greenlight we're trying to get through, and I thought I'd share it here. It's called The Sun at Night and it's been "out" since mid February but hasn't been accepted through greenlight just yet...but we're really close!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=152465002

It's a 2D action-platformer set in an alternate history '60s with a RPG elements and a branching story. Oh, and you play as a dog.

Anyway, a vote would be much appreciated (if you actually like it :p)

Also, props to this thread and it's organization. It's super awesome and I'm excited to look into more of these games.

Oh, didn't know we had a Sun At Night dev on here. Really cool and interesting game! Going to vote for it right now.

Timeaisis

Your game looks cool, really fun. Got my Greenlight vote

Oh, didn't know we had a Sun At Night dev on here. Really cool and interesting game! Going to vote for it right now.

Thanks, guys! :)

Rain World is making good progress. Dev finally got the slugcat working in Unity
rXy6.gif

Two weeks ago, he was here
SEtHu.gif

Didn't realize they were moving to Unity. That's some nice progress for 2 weeks. The way their doing animation is really awesome, super excited for that game.

Rain World is making good progress. Dev finally got the slugcat working in Unity
rXy6.gif

Two weeks ago, he was here
SEtHu.gif

Cool

While not exactly a game per-say, Devine Lu Linvega (who developed the incredible living-book adventure Paradise) has released his Proteus mod called Purgateus through Venus Patrol. It adds a bit of his language and symbol oriented style while still maintaining the base exploration and sound driven play of the main game.

If Proteus didn't do anything for you this certainly isn't going to change your mind. I'm particularly excited by this and have been prodding around to get Workshop support for the game so we could see Proteus turn into a dreamland engine.

I need to check it.

Wozman23

ibb & obb

It's also worth mentioning that, while not recommended, the game can be played alone. On PS3 you controlled each character with an analog stick. It's EXTREMELY challenging managing both characters simultaneously, but one of the most satisfying trophies I've ever got.

Waking Mars was featured in one of the indie threads past year but I only got around playing it this year, my short impressions:

dRjlfoP.png

I just finished Waking Mars and I must say I really liked the game overall, according to Steam it took 10 hours to 100% the game but in game it clocked at 8:46:53. You play as a scientist and astronaut exploring martian caves and start awaken the lifeforms found dormant inside these caves, each different interaction with the Zoas create an entry in your journal enriching the games lore. The game feels relaxing you spend your time inside the caves gathering seeds, planting these seeds waking the other lifeforms when the biomass reach a certain value and watch they interacting. The story hooked me in a way where I was reading every bit of dialogue and I wanted to discovery more about what happened to Mars, who were the original inhabitants of the planet and what the were the purpose of the caves.

The music is fitting and I liked the artstyle, it's simple but fits well to the atmosphere the game pass, though the game isn't perfect there is some kind of puzzle where you need to calibrate your instrument to understand the static, what I found annoying wasn't even the puzzle per se but the colors that pulsate while you're solving it.

The game was in Humble Bundle for Android 4 and Humble Bundle with Android 6 so if you own it at least give it a try and maybe you can enjoy being a space gardener.

alllen

Neo Member
Thumbs up from me - though I would like to see some of the slower parts of the game showed off if you've got anything rough? (You can DM me if you don't want to show it off,) Regardless - looks super interesting :)

I plan on doing a story/atmosphere trailer soon that will show off that stuff. I know most developers do a story trailer first and gameplay second but I thought for Greenlight it would be better to start off giving people an idea of some of the gameplay. I did forget to include footage of some of the puzzles though, which I'll probably add some clips of those in the next trailer as well.

I plan on doing a story/atmosphere trailer soon that will show off that stuff. I know most developers do a story trailer first and gameplay second but I thought for Greenlight it would be better to start off giving people an idea of some of the gameplay. I did forget to include footage of some of the puzzles though, which I'll probably add some clips of those in the next trailer as well.

Yeah, I don't know about anyone else, but I won't hit "YES" on a greenlight title unless I see a video of some compelling gameplay. I pretty much skip story trailers entirely.

Moobabe

Yeah, I don't know about anyone else, but I won't hit "YES" on a greenlight title unless I see a video of some compelling gameplay. I pretty much skip story trailers entirely.

Depends for me - I'm part of the problem though. If a game doesn't grab me by the short hairs with the way it looks (based on screenshots on Greenlight) I won't upvote it. It's a tough call - but I don't have unlimited time to give each and every game a fair shake, I suck.

It was probably the right decision! The gameplay sneak peek got my interested enough, along with the article you linked to that your writer penned, that now I want to see more - just being greedy :p

daydream

Banned
Seems like Monochroma released to some really poor impressions. I thought the demo was pretty alright, so this is a bummer. Limbo remains king.

It's sad to see many members on GAF have no idea about the doujin scene, I don't blame them because mostly of the games are present only in the Comikets and it's hard to find info about these games in English but diminish entirely the scene saying they only produce erogé VN or mobile games (and it's not a bad thing because the mobile market is huge in Japan) is lame, I know there is bad and questionable stuff but put everything in the same bag doesn't do any favor to the good games.

/end rant

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Seems like Monochroma released to some really poor impressions. I thought the demo was pretty alright, so this is a bummer. Limbo remains king.
I did a review on it.

It was a tough one to review as I genuinely felt bad for the development team in a way that I normally do not. These guys really wanted to build something special but, man, they fell pretty hard.

Really, though, the game mechanics are BROKEN. Really bad stuff. Some of the worst controls and platforming I've experienced in ages. :(

It's sad to see many members on GAF have no idea about the doujin scene
A friend of mine is waaaaayyyy into the scene so I kind of discover a lot of the good games that way. There are definitely some amazing titles out there.

daydream

Banned
^sucks to hear, man :(

It's sad to see many members on GAF have no idea about the doujin scene, I don't blame them because mostly of the games are present only in the Comikets and it's hard to find info about these games in English but diminish entirely the scene saying they only produce erogé VN or mobile games (and it's not a bad thing because the mobile market is huge in Japan) is lame, I know there is bad and questionable stuff but put everything in the same bag doesn't do any favor to the good games.

/end rant

Agreed!

Obligatory Kero Blaster plug!

inkls

/end rant

til not every doujin is eroge, dang. Now I'm interested in learning more about them.

Moobabe

/end rant

I'm so out of the scene I don't even know what you're talking about!

I did a review on it.

It was a tough one to review as I genuinely felt bad for the development team in a way that I normally do not. These guys really wanted to build something special but, man, they fell pretty hard.

Really, though, the game mechanics are BROKEN. Really bad stuff. Some of the worst controls and platforming I've experienced in ages. :(

Damn - that's a real shame :/ I know what you mean about feeling bad for devs though - it's happened to me a couple of times, never quite sure how to deal with it.

til not every doujin is eroge, dang. Now I'm interested in learning more about them.

As Daydreaming already said check Kero Blaster it's from the same developer of Cave Story, there are a ton of shooters the most recent one releasing in the west being Astebreed.

If you want some recommendations:
- La-Mulana
- Cave Story
- One Way Heroics
- Unholy Heights
- Cherry Tree High Comedy Club

Games I didn't played but received positive critics:

- Recettear
- 99 Spirits
- 100% Orange Juice
- War of the Human Tanks
- Gunhound EX

inkls

As Daydreaming already said check Kero Blaster it's from the same developer of Cave Story, there are a ton of shooters the most recent one releasing in the west being Astebreed.

If you want some recommendations:
- La-Mulana
- Cave Story
- One Way Heroics
- Unholy Heights
- Cherry Tree High Comedy Club

Games I didn't played but received positive critics:

- Recettear
- 99 Spirits
- 100% Orange Juice
- War of the Human Tanks
- Gunhound EX

Will check them out, already had checked recettear, not my type of game.

Top Bottom