• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [September] Now Voting - Post 878!

Not sure if Toma allows trading offers here, but the Steam Trading thread moves snail slow and I only have indie games so...

I have keys for Sir You Are Being Hunted, Assault Android Cactus, Escape Goat (Steam/Desura), Saira, Out There Somewhere, Survivor Squad, Proteus

I'm interested in Spleunky (I'd trade two for one), Dustforce, The Swapper, Rogue Legacy

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Not sure if Toma allows trading offers here, but the Steam Trading thread moves snail slow and I only have indie games so...

I have keys for Sir You Are Being Hunted, Assault Android Cactus, Escape Goat (Steam/Desura), Saira, Out There Somewhere, Survivor Squad, Proteus

I'm interested in Spleunky (I'd trade two for one), Dustforce, The Swapper, Rogue Legacy

I'd trade Spelunky for Hunted and Cactus. Write me a message in Steam.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Btw, the thread page where Baddy came back after his ban took me ages to get through for the new thread listings :p

Thank you Toma for Spelunky. Enjoy your games

Quick impressions from the tutorials: this is going to be awesome

Edit: More impressions:
One of the best 2D platformers I've played (and I just finished Escape Goat), and as a roguelike-platformer hybrid, blows Towerclimb away. I still enjoy Towerclimb's slower paced gameplay and strategic use of items, but wow Spelunky is fantastic. The vibrant art style, the smooth controls, excellent platforming, it all combines to form a brilliant experience. And I haven't finished the first level yet so imagine my impressions in a few hours

I'm going to put a lot of time into this.

Toma

I'll try my best to have the october thread up by tomorrow, but... dont hold your breath guys. No new game spotlights in this thread anymore for October!

rybrad

Is the beta pretty substantial? I'm interested in giving this a shot, but I've been a little hesitant about "early access" games lately.
The beta contains the entire game playable start to finish right now. They will be adding content over the course of the next month but you can play and beat the entire thing right now. The game is currently a bit short and easy (if you are experienced with roguelikes) but the dev said they were adding a NG+ really soon that adds difficulty. It certainly feels further along than a lot of other early access games I have but that is probably attributable to full release coming in October.

Hofmann

Ok, added Oknytt to my voting list. If you are interested in Point & Click adventure games - I'm kinda tired of them lately, so it's even more surprising how much I like this one so far - you should buy it at once, as they dropped it to one game in the newest Groupees bundle ($0.75).

Edit: Oh, and Lily Looking Through. I'm so glad I didn't forget to check this one out.

How come you got a steam code for Escape Goat? I didn't think that was out yet.

How come you got a steam code for Escape Goat? I didn't think that was out yet.
People who bought the game already on IGS, Desura, etc got Steam keys. I think it must be in beta or something like how Project Zomboid is on Steam. So I'm guessing it will be available to purchase from Steam soon

Toma

You don't have to rush it. October 1st is Tuesday.

Ah right, it was after midnight, so I thought that "Tomorrow/Monday is October 1st!" when I looked at the date. Derp. Might make it in time then.

Man, Spelunky is everything I want in a game. It's fun, it's stylish and vibrant, it's hard as hell, it has tons of depth, it's expansive and has endless replay value.

klinkcow

Neo Member
Gone Home - One of my favorite games of the year

Neverending Nightmares - great ideas and execution

A Good Husband - creepy

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - endearing

Divekick - fighting distilled

Papo & Yo - interesting parallel narrative, thoughtful

Sir, You are being hunted - conceptually awesome

Spelunky - hard

-

Dream - I want to like dream but haven't played it, because i think the early access for games like this ruins the full appeal. I want it to be amazing though :)

The beta contains the entire game playable start to finish right now. They will be adding content over the course of the next month but you can play and beat the entire thing right now. The game is currently a bit short and easy (if you are experienced with roguelikes) but the dev said they were adding a NG+ really soon that adds difficulty. It certainly feels further along than a lot of other early access games I have but that is probably attributable to full release coming in October.

Cool, that's good to hear. I didn't realize the full release was coming so soon, maybe I'll just wait until then.

I'll post something longer in the October thread but for now

On Kickstarter: Knite & The Ghost Lights
Imagine taking a hand-crafted world and turning it into an amazing side-scrolling adventure. Knite & The Ghost Lights delivers a mixture of adventure, storytelling, and action from games we know and love like Metroid and Castlevania, but with a completely fresh feel for today’s gamer.

adafecf8169c25bf5b37701e30eb59c0_large.png

Oh, and $5 (yes, five) for an early access copy

Voting! Lots of big hitters. Sadly didn't get time to check out Nihilumbra, skyRogue, or Schein.

ibyWjlJPqlZ6BA.gif

Papers, Please - Immigration officer simulator set in a cold war era soviet country that does an incredible job in enforcing empathy in you for such a thankless job. Your political philosophy might even change! One of the very few games to do moral choices right through gameplay and player-driven choice rather than through stilted story moments with dialogue options. Whatever your skill level, there'll be an ending for it, and is imminently replayable to get all 20.

iRaKY3waNsvUV.gif

Brothers - If you're interested in an emotional game driven by mechanics, this is it. Easy GOTY contender. If you've already played this, do try Before That Was Yesterday and Don't Look Back for similar free games with stories told through mechanics.

ioOZqdGsgeWlo.gif

Neverending Nightmares - Just chills down my spine playing the demo even for a second time. I never thought 2D horror would be this effective. Some excellent scares, top-notch soundscape, and a killer art style. Also, successfully funded!

home03.jpg

Gone Home - The best First Person House Exploration game ever made! I love games where you can find out the story for yourself and this is a really touching (even progressive) tale even if you're not into 90s nostalgia.

iny3FBN8NVR79.gif

ixl9a0J6slqPv.gif

Sir, You Are Being Hunted - The quintessential British FPS. The AI is tough, it demands trial-and-error, the weapons are crude for a FPS, and it had me physically shaking as I hid in the long grass from chirping robot hunters accompanied by killer dogs. This could become something special.
iryOmFOS2HPfs.gif

Guacamelee! - Possibly the best of the recent metroidvania-style games I've played with a surprisingly fun to master combat system, tough puzzle platforming, and a lovely angular art style. Also, hilarious to boot. If you liked Dust: An Elysian Tail, this is a great step up.

ib0gm5qM6l4FFP.gif

Assault Android Cactus - I don't play many shoot-em-ups because looking at little ships just ain't my thing, so the focus on humanoid protagonists convinced me. I personally love the battery mechanic that works as a timer so you have to be more aggressive in your movement. One of those skill-based games where I want to replay a level to get the best grade. It's also really cute.

ibafFB6JfbXgtr.gif

ibi2DL9FapXmPL.gif

i4epWNuxPXqPz.gif

ihZKxqHUCyMP5.gif

Papo & Yo
- If you liked Alice Madness Returns with its dark story and 3D platforming (a rarity sadly), this delivers as well if not better on similar themes of child abuse and learning to let go of the traumatic past. Or if you just like wearing loads of goofy looking hats, there's that too. If The Last Guardian never comes out, we still got a good tale here about a child-monster relationship.

I think I'm going to buy it, looks fun and appears to have received some praise.

It's pretty cool, I would recommend it. Just be aware that in its current state finding an online game can be kind tough (unless you set up a game) and the bots (although far better then they used to be and improving rapidly) have a habit of very occasionally getting stuck in place and having other AI fits. The local play is fantastic though if you can rope up some buddies with controllers.

Edit: I just got in a few games super quick. That online population concern might be a thing of the past with the sale on at least. Worst comes to the worst we can always run against each other eh.

Awesome news
So I'm quite active on the IndieGaming subreddit(not as active as here though). Anyway the founders of an recently created indie site The Indie Hut sent me a message, asking if I was interested in writing reviews for them.

Voluntary or being paid? Could be nice part-time work if paid.
Well they'd be buying the games for me. I don't if that's a common practice but I'm fine with that.

I'm in college and commuting from home so any money I'd be saving from not buying games gets saved for more productive uses

Twinduct

Well they'd be buying the games for me. I don't if that's a common practice but I'm fine with that.

Dat Indie Money
I would say go for it! Free games and perhaps a possible platform to greatness! (I mean if that's what you want).

You should opt to do some Video Reviews as well. Seems the medium is moving towards that as a channel and indie games mostly shine when in motion.

Dat Indie Money
I would say go for it! Free games and perhaps a possible platform to greatness! (I mean if that's what you want).

You should opt to do some Video Reviews as well. Seems the medium is moving towards that as a channel and indie games mostly shine when in motion.
I'm still kind of wary of putting videos online. I guess I can speak over footage of a game. Not the best public speaker though, was always better at expressing myself with writing.

And I must say, seeing how many articles they have compared to my blog, I wonder if I'm working harder than necessary on that blog. Do smaller sites usually post new content every day? Expect for a two week gap when I started classes again, I try to post something new every day.

I mean, I have over 4000 page views in less than two months and get around 30-80 views a day so that's good. But I don't how long I'd be able to keep up that rate of new articles.

It's pretty cool, I would recommend it. Just be aware that in its current state finding an online game can be kind tough (unless you set up a game) and the bots (although far better then they used to be and improving rapidly) have a habit of very occasionally getting stuck in place and having other AI fits. The local play is fantastic though if you can rope up some buddies with controllers.

Edit: I just got in a few games super quick. That online population concern might be a thing of the past with the sale on at least. Worst comes to the worst we can always run against each other eh.

Thanks. I'm planning to play local with my brother.

Twinduct

I'm still kind of wary of putting videos online. I guess I can speak over footage of a game. Not the best public speaker though, was always better at expressing myself with writing.

And I must say, seeing how many articles they have compared to my blog, I wonder if I'm working harder than necessary on that blog. Do smaller sites usually post new content every day? Expect for a two week gap when I started classes again, I try to post something new every day.

I mean, I have over 4000 page views in less than two months and get around 30-80 views a day so that's good. But I don't how long I'd be able to keep up that rate of new articles.

You should give it a try though, I mean a video review/ opinion piece to see how it goes (send it to friends and some strangers). However if you do prefer to write, don't force yourself into something that you believe might affect your outcome.

Not sure about small sites though, personally I'm an RSS fiend that just subscribes to thousand of dev sites/ blogs. So not really in tune with the general 'feel' on the internet brandspace.

Is the stuff you post on your blog mostly opinion pieces? Or more general stuff (reviews, announcements etc)?

Also what is expected from you on the new site, just reviews? Or also a grunt for announcements etc?

You should give it a try though, I mean a video review/ opinion piece to see how it goes (send it to friends and some strangers). However if you do prefer to write, don't force yourself into something that you believe might affect your outcome.

Not sure about small sites though, personally I'm an RSS fiend that just subscribes to thousand of dev sites/ blogs. So not really in tune with the general 'feel' on the internet brandspace.

Is the stuff you post on your blog mostly opinion pieces? Or more general stuff (reviews, announcements etc)?

Also what is expected from you on the new site, just reviews? Or also a grunt for announcements etc?
On my blog I post impressions, previews, and recommendations. No scores because I don't believe what makes a game good or or bad or unique, something that's a product of all its individual elements working in sync, can be expressed in a rating. Also I sometimes post general news (Toma's threads got a shout out). Here's the link if you want to browse

From what I gathered from their messages, only reviews right now.

Moobabe

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1954001611/predator-realm-arcade-style-zombie-shooter

I know you're probably thinking "more zombies?" but I think the project deserves at least some recognition since the developers are...only 14. Yeah, only teenagers. I applaud them for following their dream at such a young age

Wow - I really need to learn how to make a game. 14?! Damn

Ok - I'm doing it. I checked the OT Indie Dev thread but there's so many utilities in there I don't know where to start. For someone with NO experience whatsoever - do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Ok - I'm doing it. I checked the OT Indie Dev thread but there's so many utilities in there I don't know where to start. For someone with NO experience whatsoever - do any of you guys have any suggestions?

I don't talk from any experience here, but I've heard a lot of good things about Game Maker: Studio if you want a good entry level program. Spelunky was made in it.

Toma

On my blog I post impressions, previews, and recommendations. No scores because I don't believe what makes a game good or or bad or unique, something that's a product of all its individual elements working in sync, can be expressed in a rating. Also I sometimes post general news (Toma's threads got a shout out). Here's the link if you want to browse

From what I gathered from their messages, only reviews right now.

Hm. I'd think over that again probably. Your blog is getting a very good amount of traction and you are having a distinct style that wouldnt work very well on that website.
First of all they have review numbers, which you say you dont believe in, secondly they seem to have a huge focus and presentation on videos, and normal reviews get pretty much drowned in their website layout, and thirdly, they are ridiculously low on content. I'd bet my ass off that your blog has more traffic than their website (or at least is not far off), so it probably would be a step down for you in terms of traction you make as a writer. Not to mention you'd be drowned in a collective sea of names instead of having your own, dedicated blog. I mean sure, they'd pay for your games, but then again how much would that be? They do 1 piece of content every 2 weeks now, so I dont think they'd expect to pay you 5-10€ every 2 days for a new game, which would sort of work as a decent payment.

If I were you, I'd ask for concrete details, but I dont think they'll have the money to provide you with what you, as a person, would be worth for that website. Plus, your normal website would be pretty much dying and if you decided to leave Indiehut again, you'd need to start from scratch. Your own blog works because you are so dedicated, and if you want my advice:

I wouldnt join them, and rather look into someone else joining YOU to soften the workload you have writing stuff and the amount of money you spend to keep the content coming. You joining them seems a bit backwards with the situation these two websites seem to be in.

Start with something playful like GameMaker to get into the mindset of how videogame programming logic works. There are million tutorials out there and just try to recreate something simple :)

Toma

Good news: My internet is back.

Bad news: My internet crapped out the whole night yesterday, meaning the new thread is still not done. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress.

Moobabe

Just made my first game! (Well, the tutorial game where you click on a clown and he makes noises and stuff...) But still!

Toma

Just made my first game! (Well, the tutorial game where you click on a clown and he makes noises and stuff...) But still!

Congrats :) Game programming can be really rewarding, so have fun with it. Set your goals low and go step by step.

Edit: Its kinda weird still seeing the PS4 banner I made in some peoples avatars, haha.

Toma

Done with the games mentioned in this thread. Now onto adding a good amount of recent-Desura-release-random-surprise-ness.

Moobabe

Congrats :) Game programming can be really rewarding, so have fun with it. Set your goals low and go step by step.

Edit: Its kinda weird still seeing the PS4 banner I made in some peoples avatars, haha.

I love me some no DRM action!

The problem I'm having so far (I say problem, it's been like 30 minutes) is I'm following the instructions but not understanding why I'm setting certain values and actions yet.

Toma

I love me some no DRM action!

The problem I'm having so far (I say problem, it's been like 30 minutes) is I'm following the instructions but not understanding why I'm setting certain values and actions yet.

I suggest searching for a Wiki or something where you can look up these values so you understand why you are doing them. Alternatively, change the values and see what they are doing :)

Moobabe

I suggest searching for a Wiki or something where you can look up these values so you understand why you are doing them. Alternatively, change the values and see what they are doing :)

You speak like a man of experience! Links to any stuff you've made?

CzarTim

Gamemaker's wiki and community is really top notch. It has the benefit of having been around for forever, so pretty much anything you need help with will show up in search.

Top Bottom