• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [September] Now Voting - Post 878!

Vancha

As a new indie website. We want to encourage people to view new kinds of games through actual contests and fun things to do.

Nr 1. Get to see what Screenshotsaturday has to deliver through a "Hot or Not" contest. We will be contacting the developers of the most popular games in order to make additional articles or game impressions of them.

Have a look and have a vote.
http://www.indiespotted.com/screenshotsaturday/

Indiespotted-banner-complete1.png

This is mainly in a testing fase and can be altered in the future, but it would be fun to see what you guys think of this. :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks for the new thread Toma!

JVu3pjc.png

My game is getting much farther along, and we will be most likely seeing a demo soon - which means kickstarters and awesomeness!

InkdBbe.png
f50J4aL.jpg

Really coming along nicely. Good work!

Wow, I completely missed this thread - kind of feel ashamed I haven't subscribed since day one considering my site is all about niche games, lol. Thanks Toma :)

Raitaro

Great thread as always Toma!

I'm not sure if this game should be included here, and I don't know if has been mentioned in an earlier thread, but just in case: Trash TV.

It's a puzzle platformer with a cool art style in which you control a tv with arms and legs no less and shoot various guns to solve problems. The creator seems to be aiming for a 2013 release and its currently up on Steam Greenlight.

It seems very cool in the video by IndieStatik at least. There is also a beta demo up on Steam since April 2012.

Has anyone played Sir, you are being hunted? It looks awesome but I don't know much about it. How do some of you, who have played it, feel about the game?

As it is, it's decent and provides a good challenge. I'm probably not going to return to it until there has been more content added. Right now it feels empty at times. If you get it, just keep in mind that it's currently in its alpha stage and there's still a lot of work left to be done.

Starsector - $10 during Beta @ 50% off (PC, Mac, Linux)

Reading through the first page reminds me that I really need to download the latest version of Starsector. I picked it up when it originally went on sale, way back when, played it for a bit and enjoyed it, then put it aside, intending to return when it was further along in development.

It is a little strange to think that both Starsector (or Starfarer as it was then) and Space Pirates & Zombies first become available to buy at roughly the same time - around May 2011, if I remember correctly - and the two games appeared in several previews together. Since then, S.P.A.Z has had its beta release on Impulse; its "official" release on Steam; received a free expansion; appeared in several bundles and numerous sales; and now development on its sequel is well underway. Meanwhile, Starsector has progressed from version 0.33 to 0.54. Fortunately, the developer appears to have a very clear idea of what he is doing and is willing to take as much time as is necessary to produce a deep and satisfying game.

My opinions on two of the featured games:

Skullgilrs
Peacock!!!.gif

It's a solid fighting game with amazing animation and great soundtrack and the best tutorial from any fighting game, it touches so many aspects and mechanics that even new players to the genre can feel learn it. The characters are unique and each one have different playstyle and unique movements.

As you can expect from a fighting game it has a steep learning curve from transitioning between the arcade matches to online ranked.

The developers keep updating the game with patches and there are still 4 DLC characters to be released. If you like fighting games this one is a must buy.

Slayin

I think I'm starting to notice a trend in my tastes I tend to like games with an arcade design, and this one is one of these. The game is pretty simple you just control the to where your character moves and attack dodge the enemies, there are two more characters to unlock besides the initial knight and they have different playstyle. That sums up the game, it's a little fun gem.

As a new indie website. We want to encourage people to view new kinds of games through actual contests and fun things to do.

Nr 1. Get to see what Screenshotsaturday has to deliver through a "Hot or Not" contest. We will be contacting the developers of the most popular games in order to make additional articles or game impressions of them.

Have a look and have a vote.
http://www.indiespotted.com/screenshotsaturday/

Indiespotted-banner-complete1.png

This is mainly in a testing fase and can be altered in the future, but it would be fun to see what you guys think of this. :)

I like the idea and I voted on some of the games.

Super Techno Ninja

Strider, and Castlevania meets Dishonored and Mark of the ninja, in this highly ambitious side scrolling action arcade game.

e6e2e99c71052de5861a9e106699dc23_large.jpg

Trailer

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1051591727/super-techno-ninja

I'm a sad panda now :(

allansm

I played the Lilly Looking Through demo available on Steam and I loved. It remind me of Botanicula as the interactions are limited compared to traditional point 'n click games, although the puzzles in the demo are logical, unlike most of the puzzles in Botanicula. The art and animations are beautiful and lovely. I'm definitely going to buy it day one.

In the last couple of days I've been playing Dyad and I must say, what a great game. The way the music and the levels interact and complement each other is astonishing and make the game a real joy to play. Once I the music starts it's hard to put the controller down and stop. The only other game that manages to combines the music, visuals and gameplay to put the player in a kind of trance state is Pixel Junk Eden. Also, I must add that I'm not even a fan of score attack games, but Dyad grabbed me. I MUST get three stars in every level.

Cth

I played the Lilly Looking Through demo available on Steam and I loved. It remind me of Botanicula as the interactions are limited compared to traditional point 'n click games, although the puzzles in the demo are logical, unlike most of the puzzles in Botanicula. The art and animations are beautiful and lovely. I'm definitely going to buy it day one.

Just finished playing it with my daughter and had some impressions..

Gorgeous art style and unreal animation..

Puzzles are for the most part decent.. the bubble one was annoyingly frustrating due to how slow the animation was.. that puzzle took longer than the rest of the game.

And on that note.. it ended.. I guess I expected a longer demo.. still what we played was great! Nice added level with the goggles which should make gameplay that much more fun.

On a side note, haven't played Botanicula so I can't compare :D

Other stuff we played in the last hour or so:

Watashi wa hijo ni yoku nihongo hanasenai
She wanted to play it cause it reminded her of Proteus. She had fun growing trees but there's not much to it. Maybe like Proteus it has another level of gameplay hidden.

Finding Teddy
Aside from one LIMBO-esque death animation.. she was having a lot of fun.. beautiful pixelated art style ala Sword Brothers. Ran into a stumbling block on one of the puzzles (the guy who was crying if it matters) and she wanted to try something else.

EDIT: Not bad, one day in and four games played so far :D Thanks for these threads!

It's great and challenging. It's the quintessential British game. There are makings for an exceptional game here. There's a thread for it.

Here's my gifs for it:
ixl9a0J6slqPv.gif

ij5H0cB6AbAYJ.gif

iny3FBN8NVR79.gif

As it is, it's decent and provides a good challenge. I'm probably not going to return to it until there has been more content added. Right now it feels empty at times. If you get it, just keep in mind that it's currently in its alpha stage and there's still a lot of work left to be done.
Awesome still debating about picking it up. Got a lot of other games to play. Maybe I'll pick in up in a month or two. If not I will certainly get it during the summer sale.

CrunchingKoalas

Neo Member
Hey guys,

We're the developers of MouseCraft - thanks for putting the game in the list ;). If you'd like to know more about it, it was recently featured in Jesse Cox's and Josh Mattingly's Greenlight show:

http://youtu.be/sz9Aol2FjrU

Watch it if you like these guys ;).

Cheers,
Tom

Cth

Oh, and PostMortem seems like fun from the brief game I just played..

Multiple Papers Please-ish type endings.. Telltale Walking Dead style choices/results (see how many picked like you did and what effect your choices had on the story)

Vlambeer (Super Crate Box, Ridiculous Fishing) are celebrating their third year of making games and are giving away some things, two of which are really cool.

Gun Godz, which was previously only available to people who paid for a subscription to Venus Patrol, is free at the moment. It's a first-person shooter in the style of Doom, with a great soundtrack. Check out some gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7eCAX-ZM-Q

Wasteland Kings MOJAM prototype. Last month they announced that they are going to make a full game out of this. It's sort of like a roguelike twin-stick shooter.

You can get both of those and more here: http://vlambeer.com/3/

Wow, Skullgirls looks like a playable old-school Disney cartoon.

Edit: and it's on PSN, downloading the demo
Peacock has a lot of referencies to old school cartoon, also the animation of the charaters is outstanding and very fluid. Worth to mention that the game runs well on low end computers with the 3D background turned off.

Nabs

It looks like the Elliot Quest error will be fixed in a few days. They uploaded the demo to IGS and Desura instead of the Alpha. The Linux build should be fine.

Momentary

Banned
Just a heads up that Valdis Story should be released within the week hopefully. It was supposed to be released August, but:

Frome their facebook:
My Emperor, I've failed you!
After a full day effort to release #ValdisStory today, we ran into trouble on the vendor side of things. I'm sorry we were unable to put Valdis Story in your hands by the end of August. However for everyday that the game is not up Kyron, will draw some new art! I hope that keeps you guys entertained until tech support gets back to us. Sorry about that!

sheaaaa

Hey guys, my first time posting in this thread and thought I'd highlight a couple of indie games that really deserve more attention.

868-HACK - $5.99 (iOS)
screen568x568.jpeg

This is the latest roguelike from Michael Brough, the developer of Zaga-33 and Corrypt. It's a refined and expanded version of 86858527, which you can try for free here.
It looks utterly inscrutable but give it a shot. I'm not into overly-complicated roguelikes, but this is far easier to try than to explain.
Everything plays out on a 6x6 grid, dense with programs and enemies. Your key interaction is siphoning, which you can do twice per level - sucking up the resources from the square you're on, and the four around you. Siphon a program block and you get to use that program - a skill, essentially, attacking all viruses on screen, for example. Siphon a score block to add that number to your score.
But here's the genius - the number on each block also represents the number of enemies that get summoned when you siphon it. Want to get a high score? You'll have to constantly siphon score blocks, forgoing programs, but you have to be ready for the enemies that appear. Whether you make it to the end feebly with a low score or die halfway chasing a high score is entirely up to you.
Watch a video of it here, and get it on the App Store here.

Apple Jack 1 and 2 - Demo (PC), 80 MS points (or whatever the local currency equivalent now is, its $1.30 SGD for me) each (Xbox Live Indies)
screen1.jpg

screen3.jpg

I simply cannot recommend this highly enough. If you are remotely into platformers, picking up Apple Jack 1 and 2 is a no-brainer.
It looks a tinge surreal, but forgetting the guy with the apple on his head and the pandas and washing machines and pigs in tutus, mechanically, these are some of the finest platformers I've ever played.
The first Apple Jack didn't grab me, but last year's sequel was one of my games of 2012. It's such a focused, well-designed platformer with not a wasted level.
Your objective is simple - get to the finish line, or kill all the enemies (by jumping on their heads, picking them up a la Super Mario Bros. 2, and chucking them into another) - but every one of Apple Jack 2's 70+ (I think) stages plays around with you brilliantly.
You could be getting chased by a giant panda in one, then riding flying eyeball enemies up spike-lined towers the next.
Some are fast-paced run-throughs, which task you with killing all the 32 enemies on screen, building up your multiplier and the fruit collectibles on screen to ludicrous proportions, while another could be a "boss fight" with a giant eyeball.
The last stage is an absolute riot:
the giant apple graphic that serves as your pause screen starts rolling after you, forcing you to run for your life.
It's also effortlessly charming, so if you're a fan of mechanically-perfect, unpretentiously fun platformers, take a look at Apple Jack 1 & 2 (the latter in particular).
Xbox Live Indie links are here and here, and there's a 8 level demo of each game on its Greenlight page here.

Just a heads up that Valdis Story should be released within the week hopefully. It was supposed to be released August, but:

Frome their facebook:

Good to know. I pledged to the Kickstarter for that game so I was going to wait until I got an e-mail update about when I can download it.

Hey guys, my first time posting in this thread and thought I'd highlight a couple of indie games that really deserve more attention.

Good to see someone else into 868-HACK. I recommended it in the iOS thread last week. Big fan of Michael's work. I'm pretty sure he is going to release this for PC since all that's available now is the original prototype.

klinkcow

Neo Member
Vlambeer (Super Crate Box, Ridiculous Fishing) are celebrating their third year of making games and are giving away some things, two of which are really cool.

Gun Godz, which was previously only available to people who paid for a subscription to Venus Patrol, is free at the moment. It's a first-person shooter in the style of Doom, with a great soundtrack. Check out some gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7eCAX-ZM-Q

Wasteland Kings MOJAM prototype. Last month they announced that they are going to make a full game out of this. It's sort of like a roguelike twin-stick shooter.

You can get both of those and more here: http://vlambeer.com/3/

awesome post!

what the fuck? this game looks crazy. can we get them to extend the kickstarter somehow? I would help fund it..

I'd be slightly wary, tbh, and I can see why people were. It looks and sounds great but there's just no way he could get it done for five grand, surely? The art alone would cost upwards of that for something that ambitious in scope, and then he'd have to work full time while working full time when he gets home on programming it. There's no way it'd be out before 2016 if at all. Saying "if I don't get the money I won't make the game then" is a bit crap too, he can't be too invested in the idea if he's going to give up that easily.

It does sound like it'd be excellent, but I guess it doesn't sound THAT different from one of the influences he names, Mark of the Ninja. Both have that "multiple ways to reach your goal" thing going on, so I guess just play that if you really mourn the loss of this.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Finally got around to playing the early alpha of Tower of Guns.

This game was like made for me since I'm obsessed with Binding of Isaac. Game still needs a lot of work and polish, but what is there so far is awesome.

As long as he comes through in the crazy items department. and tones down the number of enemies, it'll be a definite winner.

Finally got around to playing the early alpha of Tower of Guns.

This game was like made for me since I'm obsessed with Binding of Isaac. Game still needs a lot of work and polish, but what is there so far is awesome.

As long as he comes through in the crazy items department. and tones down the number of enemies, it'll be a definite winner.

If you liked ToG you might want to give Paranautical Activity a look. Very similar initial concepts.

Never heard of Super Techno Ninja, I'm guessing he'll do a relaunch. £5000 is ridiculously small, or maybe he had completed most of the game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Never heard of Super Techno Ninja, I'm guessing he'll do a relaunch. £5000 is ridiculously small, or maybe he had completed most of the game.

There is apparently a good amount of interest for it here, anyone care about asking him about his plans? We could just make a thread for it if he wanted to try again.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Thanks for the new thread Toma!

JVu3pjc.png

My game is getting much farther along, and we will be most likely seeing a demo soon - which means kickstarters and awesomeness!

InkdBbe.png
f50J4aL.jpg

Looking good, man! Look forward to seeing where it goes.

I PM'd him yesterday. Waiting for a response. Do you think the game would have been more successful on Indiegogo rather than Kickstarter?

I don't think so, Indiegogo is mostly for european devs who can't get through kickstarter. The one advantage of indiegogo is flexible funding where they can take however much money that comes through the campaign. Indiegogo has much less exposure though, and the most funded projects don't even reach 100K.

I checked all the links for Super Techno Ninja, and it was only a handful of obscure indie gaming sites that picked up on it. Not even a RPS mention. Maybe the lack of promotion is more the reason for not achieving £5000 which is a very low goal on kickstarter.

Top Bottom