• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Royale April Fools Bundle (Explodemon, Defense Grid + 3 more) $4+

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
af-bundle.jpg

Available now!

http://www.indieroyale.com/

We here at Indie Royale are announcing our return with the April Fools Bundle, featuring five top-quality leading independent games available for a bargain, fluctuating price for the next five days.

Indie Royale

Headlining the bundle is Hidden Path Entertainment's Defense Grid: The Awakening, an acclaimed, futuristic tower-defense game for Windows on Steam, Desura, and DRM-free. GameSpot calls it a "quintessential example" of the genre and "compulsively playable" for newcomers and skilled players, as they attempt to fight off hoards of increasingly complex alien assaults. Defense Grid includes the free Borderlands expansion built into the main game, and we're also adding Steam keys for all four Resurgence map packs as a special bonus. (They're also bundled into Defense Grid Gold, via Desura key and DRM-free.)

Next up is Gooey Blob's accessible, retro turn-based dungeon crawler, Hack, Slash, Loot for Windows and Mac in a Steam debut, Windows and Linux on Desura, and Windows/Mac/Linux DRM-free. True to the Roguelike genre, dungeons randomly generate, providing a unique experience every time, as players uncover thousands of items to loot and monsters to hack and slash, accompanied by attractive retro pixel art.

PomPom Games offers a pair of frantic shooter titles in the form of Alien Zombie Megadeath and Astro Tripper for Windows on Steam, Desura, and DRM-free. In Alien Zombie Megadeath, players attack, dodge, and perform gloriously intense tasks while playing as 'ill-fated spacemen'. And in an update for to the award-winning Space Tripper from the talented UK studio, Astro Tripper affords players a tiny ship against hoards of other crafts and big bosses.

The final featured game is Curve Studios' incendiary 2D platformer, Explodemon for Windows on Desura and DRM-free. The title is an explosive homage to SNES-era platformers mixed with a modern physics-puzzle twist - and this hidden gem actually started development before the similar 'Splosion Man was revealed. And watch out for an Indie Royale-exclusive bonus related to this game a little later in the bundle.

Indie Royale

Finally, those who pay more than the minimum for the April Fools Bundle receive an awesome vocoder-heavy bonus: Sexy Synthesizer's Japanese '80s-style chip album Rock: Deluxe Edition, available in .FLAC and HQ .MP3 file formats.. Those who pre-ordered the bundle also received this bonus.

Indie Royale, which continues to use its innovative 'price gradually increases with purchases, bigger pledges drop the price' model, was co-created by IndieGames.com and independent game download service Desura. More information on the April Fools Bundle, including real-time statistics and its current price, is available at its official website or via its Facebook and Twitter pages.

Thanks again!
Scott, John, Bethany, and Simon
Desura & IndieGames.com

NewFresh

Guesses:

Defense Grid +DLC - acclaimed tower-defense game
Cardinal Quest - retro turn-based dungeon crawler
Alien Zombie Megadeth and Astro Tripper - spanning platformer shooter and horizontal shmup
Explodemon - incendiary 2D action platformer

I'll buy this. I don't have Defense Grid and I've never played it.

Someone on another forum suggested maybe Hack Slash Loot as the dungeon crawler. I prefer the aesthetic of that game to the videos I've seen of Cardinal Quest. Haven't tried either game though.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I hope it is Astro Tripper; never did get to finish the PS3 version, but what I did play was awesome.

Crub

Finally another Indie Royale I actually care for.

Have been waiting for Explodemon to appear on Steam, but it never did. Whoever is in charge of approving games on Steam probably thought it was a clone of Splosion Man.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Have been waiting for Explodemon to appear on Steam, but it never did. Whoever is in charge of approving games on Steam probably thought it was a clone of Splosion Man.

It's not a bad little game, but I think the troubled development process and lack of external publisher support hurt it pretty significantly in the end. It could be a better game if they had more time to tighten and polish and really make sure everything about it was awesome.

Defense Grid is pretty special. It feels at first like super-generic tower defense, but give it some time...the quality is in the nuance of the mechanics and level design.

eldoon

Some people with indie royales linked to desura had an error where the next bundle came up
from what they are saying it seems the next IndieRoyale games are:
Defense Grid: Awakening
Explodemon
Hack, Slash, Loot
Alien Zombie Megadeath
Astro Tripper

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Me?

Edit: Never mind. looks like it was hidden in the quote and in the time it took me to type "Me?" I missed out. Thanks anyway.

Well since you took the time to post unlike some who grab the keys and never do, I'll PM you a Hack/Slash/Loot key. :)

domstah

This will be the first one I miss - the bundles are really beginning to scrape the bottom of the barrel now. Both Defense Grid and Explodemon have been in other bundles, and the other games aren't exactly "must own" games.

Fingers crossed for the next one though.

naib

Bought!

Almost got Hack, Slash, Loot at the $10 price when it first came out. Seems a little too simplistic for a roguelike but I like the aesthetic.

Very cool bundle.

I miss the days when pre-orders were actually a few days before the bundle launched rather than <24 hours.

I think I'm missing this one too unless a price crash happens. Defense grid is the only appealing morsel for me (already own) and totally worth the bundle alone if you've not already got the game (just don't expect much from leaderboards).

That said, if these come with OSTs (or the eventual bonus is that)...then again last bundle only Hard Reset and Jolly Rover got OSTs.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This one seems a little slower going than usual. There's like, what, 5 different bundles going on now? The last major IR bundle was a record too I think.

The price just crashed so that should help it gain momentum. If hotlinking works...
chart

Still no OSTs though.

Edit: Explodemon prototype unlocked.

Top Bottom