• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indivisible (Lab Zero) animated OP to be produced by Studio Trigger and Yoh Yoshinari

Dio

Banned
The animated intro for the game has been chosen to be animated by a hybrid of Titmouse and a "mystery studio" for ages and it's been hinted at but they finally revealed it.

It was, in fact, Studio Trigger. Not only that, the reason Titmouse was brought onboard is because they're 'down the street' from Lab Zero and can help as a pre-production helper so they don't have to directly deal with Trigger every step of the way all the way from Japan - this is instead of Titmouse being storyboarders and Trigger animating the storyboards. Source: Peter Bartholow (Lab Zero CEO) posting in the Indivisible thread here on NeoGAF.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/6/13850780/indivisible-studio-trigger-animation-lab-zero-games-anime

Lab Zero Games is teaming up with Japanese animation studio Trigger, best known for its work on anime series Kill la Kill and Little Witch Academia, to produce the opening animation sequence for role-playing game Indivisible, Lab Zero and publisher 505 Games announced today.

The Skullgirls developer said it will work with Los Angeles-based studio Titmouse on storyboarding the animation, while Studio Trigger will execute the final product. Production on the animated intro is expected to begin early next year.

Studio Trigger’s Yoh Yoshinari, whose credits include Little Witch Academia, Gurren Lagann and Neon Genesis Evangelion, will direct the Indivisible animation.

Examples of Yoshinari's work:

https://sakugabooru.com/post?tags=yoh_yoshinari

batbeg

WOW! The wait for the announcement was worth it. Congratulations to the developers for getting Trigger on board.

Chev

I'd bet it would be them, but that was more out of personal preference than anything. Good to know!

Dio

Banned
Oh boy oh boy oh boy

XrKpNDt.gif

W9hXYg0.gif

Actually, I'll just link his sakugabooru tag:

https://sakugabooru.com/post?tags=yoh_yoshinari

Moonlight

Banned
Oh boy oh boy oh boy
The best thing I'm taking away from it. Yoshinari is an incredible creative talent in a lot of regards. I never really bet against Trigger (or at least L0 aiming for them) but Yoshinari himself contributing to the project I never would have imagined. This is really exciting.

duckroll

Very solid get. Happy to see a game I backed manage to snag more great talent. :D

I touched up the thread title a bit to make it more informative. I'm hoping by now that Lab Zero is known enough that we don't need to use "Skullgirls developer" for everything they might work on... right? ^^;

Dio

Banned
Very solid get. Happy to see a game I backed manage to snag more great talent. :D

I touched up the thread title a bit to make it more informative. I'm hoping by now that Lab Zero is known enough that we don't need to use "Skullgirls developer" for everything they might work on... right? ^^;
Thanks. I kind of rushed it out the door in my excitement. I copied and pasted the title from the Polygon article.

Quickly skimming over their body of work, these guys like hard and fast action, weirdly shaped people, and gals. I'd say this is a good fit for Indivisible.

Lain

Who's Lab Zero? What did they make before?

Nice to finally know who's going to make that OP, at one point I thought I had missed the announcement through my backer emails. Nice pick too, congrats.

Crocodile

And it only took an actual year after the campaign ended for them to let you announce this :p

Super cool to see all the same. I always figured they were in the running but confirmation is always nice <3

How long is the OP currently planned to be? Who do you have on deck to sing the OP song and what language will it be in? ;-)

Jarmel

Banned
I was going to say that Yoshinari is fairly mediocre at storyboarding openings. His KLK one was vastly weaker than the second. However he's not storyboarding it.

Obviously as an actual animator that's a different story. The OP is going to be sakuga city.

Dio

Banned
And it only took an actual year after the campaign ended for them to let you announce this :p

Super cool to see all the same. I always figured they were in the running but confirmation is always nice <3

How long is the OP currently planned to be? Who do you have on deck to sing the OP song and what language will it be in? ;-)

I hope it's Maaya Sakamoto. I know it doesn't make sense to make a Japanese music opening for this game, but I don't care.

duckroll

I hope it's Maaya Sakamoto. I know it doesn't make sense to make a Japanese music opening for this game, but I don't care.

If they get Maaya Sakamoto they should have just gone with BONES. I'll never survive the salt.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Congrats to Lab Zero for finally entering the big time. Ever since Skullgirls kinda blew up in Japan, i was expecting for something like this to happen eventually. Just like Undertale, if the Japanese get their claws into something, they are gonna eat it all up and that includes the industry.

This guy(this studio's entire staff really)was legendary during Gainax's heydey, i can't wait to see exactly what they do with Indivisible

Ravidrath

No plans for a Japanese song for the opening - currently it's planned that Kikuta will score something for the opening to be set to.

Doesn't mean it won't have lyrics or vocals, but that's currently unknown.

And Maaya Sakamoto would've been 1000% my first choice if we thought that was an option, BTW.

Articalys

Are they going to be able to make a post like this one explaining how they landed the contract?

(Though granted, the "little indie studio" part isn't quite as accurate anymore.)

Ravidrath

Are they going to be able to make a post like this one explaining how they landed the contract?

(Though granted, the "little indie studio" part isn't quite as accurate anymore.)

I'll talk it over with the team and see if we think there's enough of a story there to turn this into something.

Congrats to Lab Zero for finally entering the big time. Ever since Skullgirls kinda blew up in Japan, i was expecting for something like this to happen eventually. Just like Undertale, if the Japanese get their claws into something, they are gonna eat it all up and that includes the industry.

This guy(this studio's entire staff really)was legendary during Gainax's heydey, i can't wait to see exactly what they do with Indivisible

Eyy, just as long as things don't go the way of Spelunker or Wizardry (RIP) that's fine by me.

Still bitter about what happened to Wizardry to this day. I mean at least the new owners threw us a Steam re-release bone of 6, 7, and 8, but man... My memories of western IPs I like getting popular in Japan is NOT great.

Yeah! Great news! Glad we made that backer goal!

Indivisible looks better every day.

Although it must occurred to me that the studio is called Lab Zero, and zero is an indivisible number... Whoa.

Ravidrath

Although it must occurred to me that the studio is called Lab Zero, and zero is an indivisible number... Whoa.

This actually didn't occur to us until someone mentioned it during the campaign, haha.

And we'd been pitching the game for like a year, at that point.

Inuhanyou

Trigger goes from saving anime to saving video games.

Is there anything they can't do?

Right now they are the Platinum of anime studios, which is not a good place to be in. I wish them all the success in the world, and hope they don't go the way of Manglobe

Trace

Banned
Right now they are the Platinum of anime studios, which is not a good place to be in. I wish them all the success in the world, and hope they don't go the way of Manglobe

I'm hoping Little Witch Academia does well for them, as I like their original animations more than the adaptations of LN/Manga in general.

Platinum going into debt or something? Last I checked they've not been having a hard time finding work ever since Rising made them popular - Though they've certainly been shifting towards quantity over quality with some of their recent titles though.

Inuhanyou

But some of their stuff actually sells?

Luckily yes, but they really need a huge breakout hit far in excess of anything they have made, i am very concerned for them being an independent outfit but still having to live up to the expectations of Gainax production values from back when they didn't need to worry about being on a tight budget

Platinum going into debt or something? Last I checked they've not been having a hard time finding work ever since Rising made them popular - Though they've certainly been shifting towards quantity over quality with some of their recent titles though.

They have been taking a lot of lower tier jobs recently and even more recently have evolved their concept into a different type of business model, i am hoping they are just finding their footing and will come back stronger for it.

duckroll

Luckily yes, but they really need a huge breakout hit far in excess of anything they have made, i am very concerned for them being an independent outfit but still having to live up to the expectations of Gainax production values from back when they didn't need to worry about being on a tight budget

What are you smoking?

duckroll

Apparently something very very potent.

It seems that way, because Gainax are the ones who just got sued by Khara for outstanding royalty payments amounting to a million dollars or something. Lol. Meanwhile Khara, who literally don't have to worry about money until the end of time, are happily collaborating with Trigger on all sorts of cool creative projects.

Top Bottom