• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indivisible (Lab Zero) animated OP to be produced by Studio Trigger and Yoh Yoshinari

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It seems that way, because Gainax are the ones who just got sued by Khara for outstanding royalty payments amounting to a million dollars or something. Lol. Meanwhile Khara, who literally don't have to worry about money until the end of time, are happily collaborating with Trigger on all sorts of cool creative projects.

Well, i never said Gainax were in great shape these days lol, especially after their numerous controversies and obvious talent drain.

I just want Trigger to continue on healthily without having to compromise on what they want to make, and while i'm glad Khara is helping them out, its always good to have more money in your own pocket

benblissrok53.gif

duckroll

Well, i never said Gainax were in great shape these days lol, especially after their numerous controversies and obvious talent drain.

I just want Trigger to continue on healthily without having to compromise on what they want to make, and while i'm glad Khara is helping them out, its always good to have more money in your own pocket

They made a short which was fully paid for by the Japanese government as part of an annual young animator training program. They retained the rights to that and managed to fund a sequel to it from sponsors and from Kickstarter. Said sequel got a theatrical release in Japan. Netflix acquired both entries to the franchise and even got them dubbed. Now the franchise is getting a brand new TV series starting next year. Will also be Netflix. This is an original franchise they own. I think they're doing pretty okay. How many IPs does Platinum own?

Trigger? What no. The only thing they've done that has sold well has been Kill La Kill.

That's one more than the majority of anime studios. Plus, LWA. :p

Inuhanyou

You do realize they have like 2 animes coming out next year already right?

That's all well and good, but knowing they have series in the pipeline doesn't necessarily indicate their state.

They made a short which was fully paid for by the Japanese government as part of an annual young animator training program. They retained the rights to that and managed to fund a sequel to it from sponsors and from Kickstarter. Said sequel got a theatrical release in Japan. Netflix acquired both entries to the franchise and even got them dubbed. Now the franchise is getting a brand new TV series starting next year. Will also be Netflix. This is an original franchise they own. I think they're doing pretty okay. How many IPs does Platinum own?

Now that you mention it....WTF. Does Platinum even own anything they have made!?

Jarmel

Banned

We'll see how the LWA TV thing sells. LWA always seemed like a bigger hit overseas than it does in Japan itself.

Jarmel

Banned
Why does it matter? It's already paid for by Netflix. Popularity outside of Japan is what drives that.

Are we talking sales or just funding? Netflix is throwing money at whatever moves. I don't expect the LWA TV thing to sell well in Japan. It's also not like Trigger is on the production committee so I'm not sure how much money they're seeing past the usual contracts.

Now that you mention it....WTF. Does Platinum even own anything they have made!?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Vanquish, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta, and anything under the Mad World umbrella are all Sega. Wonderful 101 is Nintendo. Scalebound will likely be a Microsoft IP.

The rest are licensed or other franchises.

So no.

duckroll

Yoshinari owns the IP but Trigger as far as I'm aware wasn't on the committee for the movie. USP is but I think that's it.

........... no.

Trigger and Yoshinari co-own LWA. All of it. The copyrights for everything including the TV series are Trigger/Yoshinari/ProductionCommittee. :p

I also think you misunderstanding something about USP. USP is a holding company that contains Trigger, Ordet, Liden Films, and Sanzigen. It's not some other company. That's why USP is on the production committee instead of Trigger. It allows them to centralize the licensing business in one holding company and then distribute it back into the studios as required.

Cool.

After that Lab Zero can work with Studio Trigger on a Little Witch Academia RPG inspired by the Harry Potter GBC games. Thank you.

Jarmel

Banned
........... no.

Trigger and Yoshinari co-own LWA. All of it. The copyrights for everything including the TV series are Trigger/Yoshinari/ProductionCommittee. :p

I also think you misunderstanding something about USP. USP is a holding company that contains Trigger, Ordet, Liden Films, and Sanzigen. It's not some other company. That's why USP is on the production committee instead of Trigger. It allows them to centralize the licensing business in one holding company and then distribute it back into the studios as required.

I'm aware of what USP is. They host everybody under the same building as it makes some productions easier and for financial purposes. That's partially why Trigger so heavily uses Sanzigen for their CGI. USP is much larger than just Trigger as an individual company and allows other branches to monetize.

The rights reverted back to Yoshinari after the short but depending on how much capital Yoshinari is fronting towards the production, which is probably little to none, I can't see him getting any sort of sizable royalty. Almost all the revenue is going to the committee.

This is getting offtopic though. I'm confused as to what your point is, as getting funding isn't anything particularly special and Trigger's shows usually sell awful outside of KLK.

Dio

Banned
Me 5 minutes ago: What did Trigger do again?

...Kill la Kill and Little Witch Academia...

HOLY SHIT

And the director of this intro, Yoh Yoshinari, is famous for:

Neon Genesis Evangelion (key animator, mechanical designer)
Dead Leaves (key animator)
Medabots (key animator)
FLCL (storyboard artist, key animator)
Gurren Lagann (mechanical design, animation director)[1]
Gurren Lagann Parallel Works (director, animation director, storyboard artist, key animator, ep. 8)
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt (concept art, animation director, key animation, ep. 12B)[3]
Little Witch Academia (director, character designer, animation director)[2]

He's worked on a lot of other stuff, but those are the big ones.

duckroll

This is getting offtopic though. I'm confused as to what your point is, as getting funding isn't anything particularly special and Trigger's shows usually sell awful outside of KLK.

Trigger is in no way hard up for cash to continue operations and they have a property which is popular enough that they can get US funding for production for more of it. Not hard to understand...

Jarmel

Banned
Trigger is in no way hard up for cash to continue operations and they have a property which is popular enough that they can get US funding for production for more of it. Not hard to understand...

Well obviously. Virtually no studio is hard up for cash now as everybody is overworked half to death.

Dio

Banned
I also prefer this conversation about studio cash we're having right now to the ones I see on other sites regarding the posting of this news. You don't wanna know the contents of those conversations.

Jarmel

Banned
Tell that to Manglobe. (That's what started this discussion!)

Manglobe was weird wasn't it? They seemingly had contracts all the way up till the end. It wasn't like Gonzo (or Gainax haha) who just weren't getting shit. Anyway I'm sure Panty and Stocking will bring in the dough.

I also prefer this conversation about studio cash we're having right now to the ones I see on other sites regarding the posting of this news. You don't wanna know the contents of those conversations.

Why would people even bitch? Yoshinari is one of the best animators (probably in the top ten) currently in the industry.

Dio

Banned
Manglobe was weird wasn't it? They seemingly had contracts all the way up till the end. It wasn't like Gonzo (or Gainax haha) who just weren't getting shit.

Why would people even bitch? Yoshinari is one of the best animators (probably in the top ten) currently in the industry.

No, just garbage about SJWs and sellouts and stuff about Lab Zero staff and the like.

Ravidrath

And the director of this intro, Yoh Yoshinari, is famous for:

He's worked on a lot of other stuff, but those are the big ones.

You forgot that he was also one of the character designers on Valkyrie Profile.

It all comes full circle.

Dio

Banned
You forgot that he was also one of the character designers on Valkyrie Profile.

It all comes full circle.

Right, right, I forgot about that, actually.

It really does. I have friends who are wishing your project good luck even though the gameplay style turns them off, so take those well wishes through me!

Inuhanyou

People are really idiots.

Considering the content Trigger has made in the past how does "Lab Zero is a sellout" and "caving to SJW's" even factor into a conversation about anything?

The IQ points are lower than 50 on these folks.

duckroll

I'm legit confused. From this announcement? Are people associating Trigger (or Yoshinari) with the SJW stuff? After KLK???

I think it's leftover drama and salt regarding Lab Zero and some of the people they work with. Stupid GG nonsense.

Jarmel

Banned
Anyway was a length for the OP ever specified? Are we talking the usual 90 seconds or could it be longer?

Dio

Banned
Anyway was a length for the OP ever specified? Are we talking the usual 90 seconds or could it be longer?

I know several great RPGs have animated intros lasting past two minutes, VP itself had like a 70 second opening, so I think that would just depend on how much money they have to work with.

EDIT: WOW. Three minutes!? That's amazing.

The Tales of Xillia OP wasn't even 2 minutes long, that's awesome.

Sounds good. The Tales openings by Ufotable were pretty solid.

I love ufotable's work so the best part of the recent Tales is their openings for me, I think, since the games are feeling really, really rote since Graces F. Apparently Berseria is a return to form but I'll have to see it to believe it.

Ravidrath

Wow, that's room to show off every party member, along with some action scenes and the like.

I'll be looking forward to this!

We won't be able to show off every character, just because there's a limit on how many characters they can do for logistical reasons.

For example, they may need to adapt our characters/model sheets in order for them to be easier to animate.

We don't know the exact number of characters yet, or if they need to adapt our designs, etc. But just making sure your expectations are sound!

Inuhanyou

A total of three minutes of animation.

Going for Tales' opening quality.

That's a big asking, for Trigger to replicate something on the scale of Ufotable. Are you confident they are up to that? Not to say they aren't sky high talented.

How much did you commission them for anyways? Must not have been cheap

We won't be able to show off every character, just because there's a limit on how many characters they can do for logistical reasons.

For example, they may need to adapt our characters/model sheets in order for them to be easier to animate.

We don't know the exact number of characters yet, or if they need to adapt our designs, etc. But just making sure your expectations are sound!

I see. Well, three minutes is still a good chunk of animation. Whatever we get, I'm sure it'll be great!

Ravidrath

That's a big asking, for Trigger to replicate something on the scale of Ufotable. Are you confident they are up to that? Not to say they aren't sky high talented.

How much did you commission them for anyways? Must not have been cheap

The total is around $300k, which is their estimate based on that level of quality. We were pretty explicit about the quality targets, pointing specifically to the Tales openings and their quality. And that budget is in line with the Tales openings, from what we've been told by our anime contact guy.

For what it's worth, I debated not posting the number, because I'm sure a lot of people would rather we use that much money for something else.

But this is the situation we were dealt:

We were originally told we could announce the studio during the campaign, but they asked us not to at the last minute. Hence a year of "Mystery Anime Studio."

When we built the campaign, the thought was that the studio name would help us sail past that goal and into the other stretch goals. But by the time they changed their mind, it was too late to restructure the campaign and the budget, and we already had a high level commitment on paper.

So just trying to make the best of the hand we were dealt.

Top Bottom