• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Industrial robot to challenge a human professional in table tennis on March 11th

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Cat

Timo Boll vs. KUKA robot - Teaser

In this man vs. machine table tennis match, who will be victorious? The battle begins NOW as ping-pong champion Timo Boll is facing KUKA's KR AGILUS robot at the ping-pong table.

Watch the stunning videoproduction on March 11th 2014 at www.kuka-timoboll.com to find out who is the winner.

Timo Boll, the German table tennis star, is the new brand ambassador for KUKA Robotics in China. The collaboration celebrates the inherent speed, precision, and flexibility of KUKA's industrial robots in tandem with Boll's electrifying and tactical prowess in competition.

To celebrate the new KUKA Robotics factory in Shanghai, the thrilling video will be a highlight at the Grand Opening on March 11th, 2014.

It's fascinating to track how AI/robotics is constantly nibbling away at the human lead in various fields. As recent examples, there's IBM's Watson, Google's self-driving cars, and the robots by Boston Dynamics. These early harbingers will make you realize, on a visceral level, that we're entering the last century with humans in control. It's both scary and awesome at the same time. Things should really start to get crazy in about 20 years or so.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Easy way to beat it:

DLyK4cq.gif

I am cheering for KUKA. It's time that humans learn their place in the robotic future.
Build and code or lose.
tablettennis_robotdpy3x.gif

Part of me hopes for a malfunction but it should be an interesting event. I wonder how long it will be until somone tries to draft a robot player or its written into the rules that players must be completely human. Performance enhancing drugs and cyborgs would will make a hell of a sport.

IISANDERII

Build and code or lose.
tablettennis_robotdpy3x.gif

Part of me hopes for a malfunction but it should be an interesting event. I wonder how long it will be until somone tries to draft a robot player or its written into the rules that players must be completely human. Performance enhancing drugs and cyborgs would will make a hell of a sport.
When it did that it blew my mind, had no idea machines could perform something so complex outside of mathematics and constructing.

E-Cat

Robots will destroy us all!!!

Or... this is just a robotic arm performing as it was programmed.
Of course, but the impressive part here is, it possesses the speed and agility to adapt to novel sensory inputs to the level where it can (presumably) compete with a table tennis pro.

xbhaskarx

My co-workers are obsessed with table tennis... I don't look forward to this dominating all office conversations tomorrow.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That was really cool :D

Kudos to their marketing team. It would have been nice to see a complete set, but I understand why they did it the way they did.

The last scene was pretty cool too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom