• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indy life simulation game Ooblets will now be an Epic Store exclusive on PC

You EGS shills really are funny as fuck. It's always about the money with you. I don't give a fuck about cost, my income comfortably exceeds my expenditure, and I already own several hundred games to boot. A weekly free game is just simply either a game I already own or a game I'll probably never play because if I want something, I just buy it when I feel the price point is reasonable. At this point in time I don't need more games I'm never going to play in my digital life.

When it comes to Store clients, I'm all about the feature set. If Epic came out the gate and EGS was a comparable client to Steam I'd be A-OK with it, but the plain truth of the matter is they didn't. I gave it a fair shot at launch, but it's so barebones it makes even the likes of Uplay look classy, and it's pretty clear based on their roadmap that Epic has zero intention of ever making it comparable from a user perspective. I see little point in patronising a company that ultimately is less interested in providing an improved user experience versus building market share for an inferior platform.
Steam came out of the gate with top features right? It takes bit time to put all systems in place

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
You EGS shills really are funny as fuck. It's always about the money with you. I don't give a fuck about cost, my income comfortably exceeds my expenditure, and I already own several hundred games to boot. A weekly free game is just simply either a game I already own or a game I'll probably never play because if I want something, I just buy it when I feel the price point is reasonable. At this point in time I don't need more games I'm never going to play in my digital life.

When it comes to Store clients, I'm all about the feature set. If Epic came out the gate and EGS was a comparable client to Steam I'd be A-OK with it, but the plain truth of the matter is they didn't. I gave it a fair shot at launch, but it's so barebones it makes even the likes of Uplay look classy, and it's pretty clear based on their roadmap that Epic has zero intention of ever making it comparable from a user perspective. I see little point in patronising a company that ultimately is less interested in providing an improved user experience versus building market share for an inferior platform.

It must be fun living in your steam world and not playing any non steam games. Imagine for a second taht there are a lot of people who don't care about "steam features" and just want to play their games.

Kadayi

Banned
Steam came out of the gate with top features right? It takes bit time to put all systems in place

There's no evidence that Epic has any interest in making a comparable client based on their roadmap, so why cut them a break for coming out the gate feature incomplete?

It must be fun living in your steam world and not playing any non steam games. Imagine for a second taht there are a lot of people who don't care about "steam features" and just want to play their games.

Please. I own games on Steam, GOG, Origin, Uplay & Battlenet. If a game interests me enough I'll get it. But the truth is there's nothing that they have going on at EGS that screams 'must have' as far as I'm concerned versus waiting until it eventually lands on either Steam, GOG or Gamepass. I don't lack for games to play in the interim (far from it). .

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
It must be fun living in your steam world and not playing any non steam games. Imagine for a second that there are a lot of people who don't care about "steam features" and just want to play their games.

I know you won't believe this but I'm still roaming around torrent forums where people pirate games and you know what stops them from pirating them? Features, sales and third party prices such as cdkeys.com. What does EGS atm offer vs a pirated version? Nothing. Also fun fact, EGS isn't just about lacking features, its the fact that they're against only Steam. They partnered with Ubisoft and they still don't care that p[eople bought more copies on Uplay than on EGS for Division 2. This is not a business trick they're doing. It's a fucking child's tantrum against "big bad Steam".

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
If Epic came out the gate and EGS was a comparable client to Steam I'd be A-OK with it
I won't, since I don't support exclusives, especially if bought.

I know you won't believe this but I'm still roaming around torrent forums where people pirate games and you know what stops them from pirating them? Features, sales and third party prices such as cdkeys.com
"Always a service problem and not a pricing problem"

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I won't, since I don't support exclusives, especially if bought.

If they want to incentivise developers to their platform I can't really knock them for it, but when they're selling an inferior experience to me as a consumer in the short term when I know I can have a better one in the long term, it's not a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. I can wait.

Shifty

Oh dear, you can tell when all the ignore listed shills have descended on an Epic thread with their garbage logic when the posting tone takes a dive like that. RIP.

Can it, you entitled fanboy.

Or were you expecting people to take your poorly-reasoned point seriously of when your first two posts were one-liner dismissals to that effect? 🤔

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
If they want to incentivise developers to their platform I can't really knock them for it, but when they're selling an inferior experience to me as a consumer in the short term when I know I can have a better one in the long term, it's not a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. I can wait.
So you hate the EGS for the wrong reasons. Got it.

Dontero

Banned
Please. I own games on Steam, GOG, Origin, Uplay & Battlenet. If a game interests me enough I'll get it. But the truth is there's nothing that they have going on at EGS that screams 'must have' as far as I'm concerned versus waiting until it eventually lands on either Steam, GOG or Gamepass. I don't lack for games to play in the interim (far from it). .

So no reason to complain then lol.

1. Clearly if you have games on different stores you don't care about steam features
2. If EGS doesn't have must have games then simply it is not an issue for you.

16 years later we can expect a bit more from a client that tries to compete with Steam

By same argument you can say that about every other store. And yet we see only EGS being outed.
So clearly it is not about features but games themselves.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Epic need to develop their own netplay client and even support cross play with steam.
One reason fighting games are still steam exclusive.

Because others don't have the network infrastructure except for their own produced games. It would be good for both to cooperate in this matter instead of just bickering about exclusives

Console companies stand united in this at least

Kadayi

Banned
So no reason to complain then lol.

Pointing out EGS is a sub-par client isn't complaining, it's merely stating a fact.

Ideally, I'd like it if other Stores like Uplay & Origin were up to par with Steam in terms of feature set, but sadly that's not the case. On the flipside, albeit I do have all of them installed the vast bulk of my games are on Steam and certainly, there's not much in the way of 3rd party titles on either of them that I own. I do occasionally buy games on GOG, but mainly older titles. I'm interested to see what GOG do with this new client of theirs though.

By same argument you can say that about every other store. And yet we see only EGS being outed.

Not really. I think given the choice between having a game on Steam or Uplay most gamers would prefer the latter for the feature set. Unisoft giving exclusivity to EGS has merely been a way for them to boost the traffic to the Uplay versus line the pockets of Epic.

Last edited:

Ixiah

Banned
The rage is simple to explain. Steam fanboys feeling threatened by Epic having real shot at making a difference on market.
You do realize that someone can be against Epic but not for Steam, right ?
Right....because being against Epic, who made Billions, but still cracks the Whip and doesnt hire more Help for the Fortnite Team is somehow being entitled and being a Steam fan boy.....
The same Money could be spend on getting a working Store, but nah, you can see where their priorities are.
Add that to the fact that Sweeney is a fucking Douchebag, i dont see any reason to believe that this is a Storefront that in about 2-5 years, after they hooked you with their free games, doesnt charge you on basic features, or maybe even an Add everytime you start a Game.
So far they have shown zero effort to win Customers over with anything but "here eat Money you fucking Bitch".
THATS the Company you want to buy Games from ?
Someone who is condescending, is just about Money, no PR or trying to build ANY Goodwill ?
If you you like to have your Games on a Store like this, go ahead, i will laugh at you when the other Shoe drops and EGS Premium gets announced.

LordRaptor

do you... do you think its a coincidence that people will prefer to buy a steam key over a uplay / bethesda / geforce experience key, when a game is available on multiple services?

Last edited:
Dev sounds like a childish condescending prick. I don't like PR talk either, but I do expect a certain degree of professionalism and courtesy. I certainly don't need to be a Steam fanboy in order to know not to buy a product from somebody who's trying to insult me.

The backlash is well deserved for making unfounded assumptions about their audience and construing giant straw-men in order to justify their decision. They wanted to take that sweet EGS money, now they've got to live with the consequences. Can't have it both ways and I certainly won't be shamed into buying their product.

As far as I'm concerned, these devs want something from me, not the other way around.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
If I had a game to sell and I determined I'd make the most profit by selling exclusively on Epic, that's exactly what I would do.

We rarely agree but this, people need to live in the fucking real world.

If company A comes to me to build a project for X amount then company B comes to me to build an identical project for XX amount guess who I build for?

Look after yourself and your loved ones in this world and grab as much as you can while its on offer because it might not be there tomorrow. Sick of these threads every time a game changes stores, people should start getting more used to it.

Last edited:

lukilladog

Yeah, no, that's not how it works and exclusives in consoles are already an example of it.

What do you think would happen if a teacher guarantees a pass to his students several months before the final exament?, they will not study as hard, period. Epic is not doing much favors to gaming nor consumers with their exclusives.

And console exclusives work in a different way, so it´s not a good comparison.

Kadayi

Banned
Look after yourself and your loved ones in this world and grab as much as you can while its on offer because it might not be there tomorrow. Sick of these threads every time a game changes stores, people should start getting more used to it.

uVVrCMZ.gif

MMaRsu

Banned
We rarely agree but this, people need to live in the fucking real world.

If company A comes to me to build a project for X amount then company B comes to me to build an identical project for XX amount guess who I build for?

Sure, but dont come crawling back when noone buys your game because of a shit store

And you insulted your customers

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Here's a thought letter poster, try running a business based on sales and act like a cunt to your customer base and see how far it gets you 🤔

Being a "cunt" in this case being to mock inflamed steam fanboys? I think they'll do fine, because the overwhelming majority of the addressable market lie outside that particular noisy niche.

Also I'd be willing to bet this contingent is going to shrink over time as EGS further establishes itself as a service, so the problem is going to fix itself. And in the meanwhile the additional income from the signing deal, and the better revenue split should more than cover any shortfall.

Keihart

What do you think would happen if a teacher guarantees a pass to his students several months before the final exament?, they will not study as hard, period. Epic is not doing much favors to gaming nor consumers with their exclusives.

And console exclusives work in a different way, so it´s not a good comparison.
by your analogy a game is as good as it sales or revenue making fortine the best game of all time?
keep trying, you are wrong.

Its a transaction, not a favor. You pay money in return for the bill of goods on offer.
The idea is mutual benefit, they owe you NOTHING.

Who said they owe me something?

It's just reasonable to assume that if you want to sell a product, insulting your audience isn't the best idea. Fact is, there's plenty of good games with decent devs behind to choose from, so why would I throw my money at a person that is acting like an outright douchebag?

There are plenty of games on offer, so if given the choice I'd rather support devs that treat their customers well. People seem to forget that games are a form of pleasure consumption, it's not a necessity. As such many of my purchases are done out of pure goodwill. You treat me like an imbecile, I'll ignore your product, it's as simple as that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Who said they owe me something?

It's just reasonable to assume that if you want to sell a product, insulting your audience isn't the best idea. Fact is, there's plenty of good games with decent devs behind to choose from, so why would I throw my money at a person that is acting like an outright douchebag?

There are plenty of games on offer, so if given the choice I'd rather support devs that treat their customers well. People seem to forget that games are a form of pleasure consumption, it's not a necessity. As such many of my purchases are done out of pure goodwill. You treat me like an imbecile, I'll ignore your product, it's as simple as that.

The notion here is that the game is good and offers sufficient value as an entertainment product to justify the cost.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Goodwill is only relevant if you are a charity, because that "feeling" is part of the value proposition you're selling. The reality is that providers of manufactured goods are generally indifferent, because that's a practical necessity for dealing with a mass market audience. Customers are not equal, its about satisfying the majority. Dealing with annoying, troublesome customers and the disruption they cause is part of the cost of doing business.

If I run a shop, sure. I want my customers to be happy, that's a no-brainer. But. If you are stood in my face haranguing me over some bullshit triviality, I'm going to kick you off the premises. I don't want the custom of arseholes because its more stress for me and the rest of my clientele.

In this instance, If steam support is a requirement on your part, sorry but that ship has sailed.

Being nice about it doesn't help. Because honestly if that's all that it took to lose your custom, how committed could your interest in the product have been in the first place? That's not a big loss, especially when factoring in the benefits of moving from Steam to EGS in the first place.

Ok devs, thanks, really don't need your game. I can live without Ooblet and without Epic store installed in my pc. Take care of you and make money so you can live without making games.

Kadayi

Banned
Being a "cunt" in this case being to mock inflamed steam fanboys? I think they'll do fine, because the overwhelming majority of the addressable market lie outside that particular noisy niche.

Yeah because the entire Steam user base is such a niche 🤔

Also I'd be willing to bet this contingent is going to shrink over time as EGS further establishes itself as a service, so the problem is going to fix itself. And in the meanwhile the additional income from the signing deal, and the better revenue split should more than cover any shortfall.

The inherent problem is though Epic isn't cultivating a player base that pays for games. They're cultivating one that expects free games. If not today, then down the road.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That passive-aggressive twee writing style that most Londoner/coastal hipster devs have adopted is so offputting.

Agreed. "Did the thing" is a phrase that really grinds my gears. It's pure douche-face hipster speak usually from elitist assholes trying to act all cute.

And what is really frustrating is when you realize all of this was written by some hipster asshat with no skills to speak of who proceeded to lecture "kids" about getting jobs and entering the real world when he is just leeching off of his wife's art and programming abilities and the community that sprung up to support her.

Mattyp

Gold Member
We are always told to "vote with our wallets" when we don't like something in the video game industry.
Then we vote with our wallets and we get called toxic and entitled?
🤔🤔🤔

Who's calling you toxic and entitled for not purchasing the game? The most you can do is vote with wallet, I do the same thing on political correctness. I think its more due to the fact every time a game goes EGS exclusive we get a slew of bitching about it, stop the bitching, just don't buy the product, nothing you do or say will change the matter. Either purchase and play it or don't, no one gives a shit.

People need to realise at the end of the day it comes down to the money like most things in life and their livelihood, leave the feelings at the door. Developers will do whatever is in their best interests as you would in the same position.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Who's calling you toxic and entitled for not purchasing the game? The most you can do is vote with wallet, I do the same thing on political correctness. I think its more due to the fact every time a game goes EGS exclusive we get a slew of bitching about it, stop the bitching, just don't buy the product, nothing you do or say will change the matter. Either purchase and play it or don't, no one gives a shit.

I bitched and whined for the first few exclusive announcements.
Now I am just over it and will happily await a Steam release 6-12 months later.

Top Bottom