• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward ops to show PS4 footage for COD IGN vids- a series first since MS deal?

slapnuts

My God that looks current gen.

It's as if they ported the game straight without using the extra power of the new systems.

AND the XB1 is supposed to be worse?

Jesus Christ. Am I getting this right, cos it's actually hard to believe.

I cannot believe what my eye's just witnessed myself!! UNBELIEVABLE!! Those visuals are current gen ALL - THE - WAY!! There is NO F'n WAY will i be getting this on consoles. The only way i will buy this game is if the PC version comes with much MUCH better visuals.

On the flip side - they have milked this engine for almost 7 years now correct me if i am wrong but i know its about 7 years or about to be 7 years and it clearly shows compared to BF4. I just do not get it..after all the money they made off COD you would think some quality R&D would go into a brand spanking new engine for the "start" of next gen. This is the greed that ruins everything in this world and you know what? Im glad this game looks like ass...it serves them right to try and milk this dated engine.

WHen this engine first came out..it was probably the best looking engine out there for how optmized it truly was at the time..but now its laughable now. I hope COD tanks!! Wake up IW/ACTIVISION!!

Betty

Banned
The way the body falls on a completely flat plane no matter the location and then crumples correctly is pretty jarring.

beg.gif

Ashes

Banned
I went and re-watched it. Other than the compression method IGN has used, all I really noticed (that wasn't already in memory) is the aliasing. The game looks fairly close to Blops 2 imo.

UPDATE:

Went and watched the Gamersyde launch trailer as well. The quality is definitely better, and it still looks pretty bad. I wont compare it to Blops2 but

it
10432149723_143c89c0aa_o.png

is
10431979184_c9e2d6c13a_o.png

pretty bad
10432000136_f8ccbb0cb6_o.png

at times

Another edit: Make sure to click on the images so they are full resolution.

Yeah, that least looks high rez at least.

Good grief, the share function on ps4 better be up to scratch or it's going to be more off putting than actually, 'woh this next gen malarky actually looks pretty cool'.

NBtoaster

I went and re-watched it. Other than the compression method IGN has used, all I really noticed (that wasn't already in memory) is the aliasing. The game looks fairly close to Blops 2 imo.

UPDATE:

Went and watched the Gamersyde launch trailer as well. The quality is definitely better, and it still looks pretty bad. I wont compare it to Blops2 but

it
10432149723_143c89c0aa_o.png

is
10431979184_c9e2d6c13a_o.png

pretty bad
10432000136_f8ccbb0cb6_o.png

at times

Another edit: Make sure to click on the images so they are full resolution.

So is the launch trailer confirmed the XB1 version? It's really clear thats not 1080p native. Mostly double pixel steps so probably 720p.

http://i.imgur.com/uu05iX6.png

Ashes

Banned
So is the launch trailer confirmed the XB1 version? It's really clear thats not 1080p native. Mostly double pixel steps so probably 720p.

http://i.imgur.com/uu05iX6.png

As a best guess, I'd say so, considering it's marketing partners with Xb1.

I think gamersyde manages to somehow always show off better. IGN is crappy, but that was a stream, not a direct feed. Direct feed KZ for instance looks mind boggling good, and way better than streams or other footage. So COD will actually look better in person.

All in all, if the rumours are true, it just reaffirms, that this will be not that great on all platforms.

Been thinking about this.

Maybe Ghosts is targeting current consoles for the bulk of its sales? Therefore next gen machines will only feature upped resolution and maybe some better textures, but that's it. I think the next Tryarch iteration will probably have some beefier graphically technical stuff featured on next gen, but if you are only going to play Ghosts, and there are a shitton of people who only play COD, that's it, I don't see the need to buy a next gen machine out the gates.

This whole transition between current and next gen is weird, you have this fucking enormous install base of current gen, and an emerging next gen, I think the powers that be will first want to see next gen gain some speed, maybe after a year of mass market adoption, before they put some resources into pushing multiplat games which truly focus on the new platforms.

It will literally cost more to produce truly next gen games, and I think developers will take a while before they really start to align towards next gen. Everything is always about money.

Wow those vids just.... wow. The body falling and not even fully hitting the ground until a "bounce" off of nothingness? Seriously that looks like complete, utter garbage. I've seen current gen stuff that looks markedly better than that. IW needs to hire new talent.

Been thinking about this.

Maybe Ghosts is targeting current consoles for the bulk of its sales? Therefore next gen machines will only feature upped resolution and maybe some better textures, but that's it. I think the next Tryarch iteration will probably have some beefier graphically technical stuff featured on next gen, but if you are only going to play Ghosts, and there are a shitton of people who only play COD, that's it, I don't see the need to buy a next gen machine out the gates.

This whole transition between current and next gen is weird, you have this fucking enormous install base of current gen, and an emerging next gen, I think the powers that be will first want to see next gen gain some speed, maybe after a year of mass market adoption, before they put some resources into pushing multiplat games which truly focus on the new platforms.

It will literally cost more to produce truly next gen games, and I think developers will take a while before they really start to align towards next gen. Everything is always about money.
This.
Ghosts hasn't been marketed as a "Go out buy a next gen system for this" type of game unlike Battlefield 4.
Its the same basic COD we have been getting since 4 but they decided to release it on next gen for the people that are upgrading.
some people will be trading in their old consoles or putting them up and would miss out otherwise.
This is actually a problem I see happening to games like Arkham Origins, I think it will take a huge hit in the next gen mess(not only does it take a sales hit, but also lower hype/promotion).

I will wait and see what Treyarch does for their next gen COD before I get really worried.

Was the video I just watched seriously ps4 footage? There's no discernible difference between it and the current console versions. And I know the game can look better because the pc footage I've seen doesn't look like that. Ridiculous.

Jonm1010

Banned
This.
Ghosts hasn't been marketed as a "Go out buy a next gen system for this" type of game unlike Battlefield 4.
Its the same basic COD we have been getting since 4 but they decided to release it on next gen for the people that are upgrading.
some people will be trading in their old consoles or putting them up and would miss out otherwise.
This is actually a problem I see happening to games like Arkham Origins, I think it will have a huge hit in the next gen mess(not only does it take a sales hit, but also lower hype/promotion).

I will wait and see what Treyarch does for their next gen COD before I get really worried.

It honestly reminds me of the way Infinity ward handled there 360 games. Their first attempt wasn't a graphical showcase by any means. It wasn't til Modern warfare that they upgraded their engine. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if thats the game plan again.

Next years title will probably be a small graphical upgrade and then the following year we will get a completely new graphical upgrade to the engine if not a completely a new engine.

Although this title seems to be a lot more behind the tech times then when call of duty hit 360.

crozier

It's the current gen version with a high rez texture pack. Definitely not built from the ground up with X1/PS4 in mind.

Will be skipping this one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The average person buying a console to play COD will have no idea what resolution the game runs at.

The average buyer will find out from word of mouth. They might not know - or care - about 720p vs 1080p. They might not even be able to tell the difference. But if this is any more than a one-off, launch teething problem, then it risks becoming a stigma for Xbox. Only 720p? That's like Xbox 360, why am I buying this again? That kind of thing.

Mohonky

Just watched the video....dont think its going to make much difference what you play it on, one is just going to be a slightly more polished turd by the look of things.

baphomet

The way the body falls on a completely flat plane no matter the location and then crumples correctly is pretty jarring.

beg.gif

I usually buy cod on launch day every year because its just something fun to pick up and play. Theres no chance in hell ill be buying this garbage and playing it on my ps4. It looks fucking awful.

even bish is scared lol

DF is still going to be fun this gen. Will be interesting to watch the Wii U and Xbox One fans debate who got the better version.
hadn't thought of it like that, that would be hilarious

ot: that ps4 footage, why is there no AA?
Cod engine is one of the few that still supports msaa, I played blops 2 maxed out with 4xmsaa at 1080p on my hd6870 (~xbone gpu equivalent but not memory bandwidth gimped) at 60+fps.

Here if you think i'm remembering wrong, a quick google shows I'm correct
http://www.techspot.com/review/601-black-ops-2-performance/page3.html

So how does the ps4 version look THIS bad and clearly not have any AA?
a 7850 is better than my gpu...

Also: if my 6870 can do blops 2 at 1080p 60 fps 4xmsaa then why can't the xbox one?...
edit: seems I'm wrong about what gpu the xbox one is equivalent to, I thought it was a 7790, but it's a 7770 which is far weaker (40fps , not 60)
damn, I had no idea I thought the xbox one was equivalent to my gpu more or less.

Xater

This game looks really bad for a next gen title. Aliasing, some pretty low res textures and overall pretty low geometry detail. Next to Killzone you might think it's a current gen title. Hell it would even look bad next to BF4.

Ashes

Banned
even bish is scared lol

hadn't thought of it like that, that would be hilarious

ot: that ps4 footage, why is there no AA?
Cod engine is one of the few that still supports msaa, I played blops 2 maxed out with 4xmsaa at 1080p on my hd6870 (~xbone gpu equivalent but not memory bandwidth gimped) at 60+fps.

Here if you think i'm remembering wrong, a quick google shows I'm correct
http://www.techspot.com/review/601-black-ops-2-performance/page3.html

So how does the ps4 version look THIS bad and clearly not have any AA?
a 7850 is better than my gpu...

Also: if my 6870 can do blops 2 at 1080p 60 fps 4xmsaa then why can't the xbox one?...
edit: seems I'm wrong about what gpu the xbox one is equivalent to, I thought it was a 7790, but it's a 7770 which is far weaker (40fps , not 60)
damn, I had no idea I thought the xbox one was equivalent to my gpu more or less.

One game was designed for a seven year old console, then ported to PC. The other game is ported next gen then ported to PC.
Hence the specs requirements shooting up sky high.

To be honest I have no idea. We're gonna need direct feed, though why we keep needing direct feeds when we've been having PCs that hit these resolutions maxed out, for a while s beyond me.

Don't want to bump the launch trailer thread again but.. I watched it and it's outrageously stupid/funny. CoD in space, doge, eminem, it's all there. The franchise is almost becoming a parody of itself.

Gameplay footage on IGN looks solid.

daxgame

Oh wow. Guess I did well waiting to buy the PS4 in the end... hopefully devkits updates from Sony will also make it easier for devs. First party devs seems to be delivering tho

One game was designed for a seven year old console, then ported to PC. The other game is ported next gen then ported to PC.
Hence the specs requirements shooting up sky high.

To be honest I have no idea. We're gonna need direct feed, though why we keep needing direct feeds when we've been having PCs that hit these resolutions maxed out, for a while s beyond me.

It looks just as ugly as blops 2 did...
It looks identical to last gen cod, there is nothing to justify the increase in required specs if there is one (I'm talking real required specs, not the sensationalist gtx 780 crap to get attention for their game)

Ashes

Banned
It looks identical to last gen cod, there is nothing to justify the increase in required specs if there is one (I'm talking real required specs, not the sensationalist gtx 780 crap to get attention for their game)

I'd have to agree with that.

SMZC

This is just pure lazy, no other way to dress it up, game is pure and utter garbage

We live in a sad era if a game is "pure and utter garbage" based on graphics alone.

Say what you will about the graphics, but COD Ghosts will play fantastically well and be every bit as fun as any other multiplayer in the market, if not more so. That alone justifies its $60.

Nebula

We live in a sad era if a game is "pure and utter garbage" based on graphics alone.

Say what you will about the graphics, but COD Ghosts will play fantastically well and be every bit as fun as any other multiplayer in the market, if not more so. That alone justifies its $60.

Inclined to agree. As much hate as CoD gets, it has always provided me a game to play for about 6-8 months before I get bored.

Only thing really bothering me is the complete lack of multiplayer footage.
yeah there is alot from youtubers but they only have 3 or 4 maps available and 1/4 the weapons unlockable

The game is 2 weeks out and we have only seen gameplay from about 4 of 15 maps, the same 3 or 4 guns in every single video. there is a complete mode that hasn't even been officially mentioned yet.

IW needs some new PR people.

SMZC

It's not based on graphics alone, it's based on poor animation, rehashed assets, lack of innovation, minimal upgrades, same old story.

Those things don't matter so much when, after all is said and done, I and many others are having more fun with the yearly COD than with pretty much any other online shooter in the market.

The ragdolls (or rather, the lack of them) were pretty bad in 2007, admittedly. In 2013, the issue is even less excusable, suffice to say. But that and other possible technical deficiencies are not going to have an impact on the game's enjoyability.

People need to realize that if COD continues to sell shitloads of copies it's not because people are idiots, or misinformed; it's because a considerably sized userbase is demanding precisely what Activision is offering. People like these games.

For all the shit that the series gets because of its technical aspects, COD games remain at the very top of the market when it comes to controls, responsiveness and accessibility. These are things that a lot of the most respected game developers in the industry, such as Nintendo, always put at the very top of their priorities. And yet, this aspect is always ignored when the COD bashing rolls in, focusing solely on its technical aspects. Why?

eshwaaz

Looking back at Activision's cross-gen launch games for 360 - Tony Hawk and Gun - this isn't at all surprising. Those were shameless straight ports as well, but you also paid an extra $10 for the "privilege."

TUROK

Black Ops 2 is a damn good looking game.

Fredrik

Well at least this time Iwata got it right that the difference between the platforms won't be as big as we think when looking at the specs. :/
This looks like current gen in every single way. Must've been incredibly rushed to be there at launch or something. Could still be lots of fun though, graphics isn't everything... But I wouldn't buy a next gen console for a game like this that's for sure.

Anything that is cross gen isn't going to be as big, or pretty as it could have been. Lowest common denominator. You'll have to wait for second son to see something good. COD, and all of the other yearly turnstile multiplat games will look poor, and be held back for a few years. You might see fps, and resolution jumps between them, but the games will be holding back. AI, map size, destructibles, interactive pieces, etc.

Anything that is cross gen isn't going to be as big, or pretty as it could have been. Lowest common denominator. You'll have to wait for second son to see something good. COD, and all of the other yearly turnstile multiplat games will look poor, and be held back for a few years. You might see fps, and resolution jumps between them, but the games will be holding back. AI, map size, destructibles, interactive pieces, etc.
I agree with you overall but this,
whats wrong with Killzone besides the rain?

*sigh* and this is why infinity ward can get away with not trying.

did the just do a straight port?

Even if it's a straight port current gen -> next gen, you'd expect the next gen to have enough grunt to force 1080p [of a current gen title].

There is, of course, a PC version, and given the next gen hardware spec, you'd think porting the PC version to next gen would be a pretty reasonable way to get things going, then optimise as required.

SMZC

*sigh* and this is why infinity ward can get away with not trying.

Well, other companies get away with not being on par with COD in more gameplay (and especially control) related areas. Why does COD get crap for not being on par with other franchises in purely technical aspects?

Demon Ice

Banned
Watched the IGN playthrough for about 4 minutes before I exited.

Anybody who shells out $60 for such a blatant rehash, especially the "next gen" version, is part of the problem with gaming these days. IW is not even trying to hide how little effort goes into these games anymore. They don't have to. Activision's bought out all the major review outlets and the fans will just convince themselves that there's something magical about the multiplayer mode that makes it all worth it.

Top Bottom